Is The Pelican Weird Or What?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is The Pelican Weird Or What?

stinger wrote:
matrix wrote:
stinger wrote:
jaxons wrote:
stinger wrote:
jaxons wrote:
gringo wrote:I don't think Pelchen rated Petracca so he obviously doesn't really rate some one else we picked up. Goddard was about his value and Mc Kenzie was more a speculative decision. Lonnie was about value too so Mc Kenzie is the one who went before a few highly rated players. I think teams like Essendon probably did best out of the draft because they were limited by the picks they had but still got quality.

One thing I can tell you is Chris wanted Petracca and still thinks we should have taken him.
if you know so much..tell why pelcham really got the flick..

Ask Matt Finnis.
i know the reasons...obviously you don't ...and why would you as a coffee boy to some dj
so why dont YOU post the reasons then
no point calling someone out to give up the reason, but say you know yourself...and then keep silent

cough it up if you think you know the answer
no stuff the lot of you..i owe you nothing.....i was told in confidence...and that's the way it will remain...don't try any of your school yard bulling tactics on me..... :roll: :roll:

Hilarious. You wouldn't have a clue why he was sacked.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Well, I think we now know who Jaxon's contact within the club was.

Petracca may well turn out to be a superstar. Pinning your premiership hopes on a single superstar has never worked for us, and we've had a few. It's about building a really good football team which is balanced and has quality depth beyond the 17th or 18th best player. Building a team around key position players is a smart move. Without our recruitment of Koschitzke, Riewoldt, Maguire, and Gehrig in the early noughties, we would not have made that dramatic rise from 2001 to 2004. Not following this type of plan cost the Bulldogs in the past decade, and now, in desperation they have spent a king's ransom on a young key forward when they could have had Peter Wright (who is likely to be just as good) for nothing. They have seen the error of their ways but have paid a hefty price to rectify the situation.

So, McCartin may not have been the best player in the draft, but he was close. Key forwards are damn hard to find. How many have we successfully recruited since 2000? Look though the other clubs and you'll see that they are rare. There are midfielders everywhere. Fyffe was pick 20, Simon Black was pick 31. Sam Mitchell was pick 36, Leigh Montagna was pick 38, Lenny Hayes was pick 10, Robbie Gray pick 55, And that's just a very small sample. Try to find quality key forwards who were selected in that range (pick 10 or later) in the past decade. There weren't many....J.Riewoldt, Tippett, Mayne, Dawes, and Darling are the only ones I could find who were not gift father and son selections (who would have gone top 3). I could probably find at least 40 midfielders in comparison.

There will be ample opportunity to find quality mids in the next two drafts with picks guaranteed to be in the top 3 or 4. Sure, we're in for some pain in 2015 and 2016, but impatience has cost this club many times and I'd rather put up with a few years of struggling on field if ultimately we put the right type of playing list together.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Great post!

sainterinsydney
Club Player

Out of interest, where do you guys think Billings would have been placed in this draft? Higher than Petracca?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Or Kelly

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I would have expected Billings to fall at roughly the same selection had he been in this year's draft

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

sainterinsydney wrote:Out of interest, where do you guys think Billings would have been placed in this draft? Higher than Petracca?

I think it was Bains or Elsaugh said Billings would have gone No.1 in this years draft.

You are garbage - Enough said
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
sainterinsydney wrote:Out of interest, where do you guys think Billings would have been placed in this draft? Higher than Petracca?

I think it was Bains or Elsaugh said Billings would have gone No.1 in this years draft.

Yep. Think last years draft could get close to matching 2001 in a few years. This years maybe like the Cooney year. Was that 2005.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Yep. Think last years draft could get close to matching 2001 in a few years. This years maybe like the Cooney year. Was that 2005.
And from what I have read about 2015, it is set to be a cracker for the high dp's.

But hey this time last year Hugh Goddard was mooted as a top 5 pick. A lot can change in 12 months and parish and Mathesian may be Dunstan and Acres type "sliders" when the rubber meet the road this time next year.

You are garbage - Enough said
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Very interesting... worth a thread of its own.

All speculation at this stage, but I'd go...
Petracca.
Cockatoo.
Brisbane's 2013 1st pick (sorry, haven't got his name handy), Billings, Bradshaw - too early to separate.

Looking back in ten years time...
Petracca/Acres.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Petracca.
Cockatoo.
Brisbane's 2013 1st pick (sorry, haven't got his name handy), Billings, Bradshaw - too early to separate.

Petracca/Acres.

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Petracca.
Cockatoo.

Petracca/Acres.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:
matrix wrote:
stinger wrote:
jaxons wrote:
stinger wrote:
jaxons wrote:
gringo wrote:I don't think Pelchen rated Petracca so he obviously doesn't really rate some one else we picked up. Goddard was about his value and Mc Kenzie was more a speculative decision. Lonnie was about value too so Mc Kenzie is the one who went before a few highly rated players. I think teams like Essendon probably did best out of the draft because they were limited by the picks they had but still got quality.

One thing I can tell you is Chris wanted Petracca and still thinks we should have taken him.
if you know so much..tell why pelcham really got the flick..

Ask Matt Finnis.
i know the reasons...obviously you don't ...and why would you as a coffee boy to some dj
so why dont YOU post the reasons then
no point calling someone out to give up the reason, but say you know yourself...and then keep silent

cough it up if you think you know the answer
no stuff the lot of you..i owe you nothing.....i was told in confidence...and that's the way it will remain...don't try any of your school yard bulling tactics on me..... :roll: :roll:
Or maybe you're just full of crap.