Third, Fourth, Fifth Year Players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Third, Fourth, Fifth Year Players

Richo says in this article that 3rd, 4th and 5th year players are where our improvement will come from:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-17/n ... -challenge

Not a bad theory, here are the groups:

Third-year (2012 draft year):
Wright (#24), White (#25), Murdoch (#40), Saunders (#43), Membrey (#46), Pierce (#75)

Question marks over all of these guys for various reasons, so it would be a massive bonus to see improvement from them this year. I'm not convinced the majority have what it takes but I'd love to be proved wrong. Wright the most likely at this point.

Fourth-year (2011 draft year):
Bruce (pre-list), Saad (pre-list), Longer (#8), Ross (#25), Markworth (#35), Newnes (#37), Webster (#42), Shenton (R#30), Minchington (R#65)

Newnes should be ready to go if he stays fit. Improvement expected from Ross, Webster, Bruce and Longer. The rest need to get a wriggle on or they'll be gone by 2016.

Fifth-year (2010 draft year):
Weller (2009 underage), Hickey (Qld zone), Siposs (#75), Curren (R#24)

Not many in this group, for well-documented reasons (Cripps, Crocker, Ledger, Gamble, Polo, etc). Those we have are generally OK or dubious. Hickey the one with the potential.

Sixth-year (2009 draft year):
Roberton (#49)

Only one from the 2009 draft year!

Seventh-year (2008 draft year):
Lee (#60), Savage (#75), Delaney (R#25), Simpkin (R#29)

And only four here - three of whom came from other clubs!

If your improvement largely comes from 3rd to 5th year players then it's not surprising we've been crap the last couple of years. We've had very very few players in that bracket. I reckon Richo's right that any improvement in 2015 will come from those 3rd and 4th year groups above. Maybe some second-year blues from last year's crop (Billings, Dunstan, Acres) and this year's crop look like they'll take a bit longer to come on.

So cross your fingers and hope that Murdoch and Saunders and Ross and Markworth and Siposs actually become AFL-quality players. That would make an enormous difference to our results.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Third, Fourth, Fifth Year Players

It looks a bit ominous when you look at the list - the quality doesn't jump out at you. But often there are at least a couple that make that mini quantum leap and suddenly are playing at a genuine AFL level with penetration and purpose. You'd love White to be out there regularly in the firsts to be a focal presence. He might even have to do some rucking if they don't play two ruckmen although I don't know if that would optimise his development as a forward. WE really need some of those borderline mids to take another step forward and be a genuine support to Armo and Jack or else we will get murdered in the middle and be on the back foot for most of the year. I've always liked the way Ross seems to have time on the ball - love to see him start to hurt the oppo with his disposal. The positive is these players are now in a proper development environment where they are getting games and good feedback and most have shown solid improvement even if nothing startling. It will be now or never for quite a few of them and I think Richo will be brutally honest with them about that.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ive been saying ad nauseum for two years - if we are going to improve it will have to come from the 20-23yos.
If they are no good - then we will be no good. If they are good - we will be good.

We have one more draft at the end of this year to pick up another couple of kids.
After that our fate is entirely in the hands of our under 25s.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Con Gorozidis wrote:... We have one more draft at the end of this year to pick up another couple of kids.
After that our fate is entirely in the hands of our under 25s.
Some good assessments there Bergs and Con. :)

I'd just add though, that it's not all over after the 2015 draft.

Coz it's about then that we switch to raiding mode. :twisted:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
stkfc1
Club Player

Ross and Newnes are the big ones for me next year. These two look the most likely to take it up to the next level. Weller, Wright,White, Webster (the 4 W's) hoping to see a solid year. And who will be the smokey that comes from nowhere? Markworth, Saad, Lee, Siposs, Acres. There's always one. (Hopefully two or three!)

sasaint
Club Player

stkfc1 wrote:And who will be the smokey that comes from nowhere
Templeton! :mrgreen:

Patience young grasshopper
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Good to hear from Richo.

He basically saying what we all know - pick 1 next year is ours already.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Ross, Newnes, Wright and Saunders all look like they could be ready to step up. Lee, Membery, White, Hickey could be anything. Some smokes like Pierce are possible bolsters. A bit of a mixed bag but plenty of potential there.

ATM Newness is the only definite barring injury but lots to like.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Harakiri material when you think about the players in this bracket at GCS & GWS.

If any of those players are good enough, there should be plenty of opportunities to prove it.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Harakiri material when you think about the players in this bracket at GCS & GWS.

If any of those players are good enough, there should be plenty of opportunities to prove it.

What's awful to look at is our drafting up until 2011. Just terrible as far as return goes. It's almost unbelievably bad. The GCSs are still only a potentially good team we are no better or worse off except there is an assumption that because they had the cream of the junior talent it will all fall into place. I think they should be a very good team but they show that young players take time also. Just got to hope we have some guys ready to step up now on the list.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I thought season 2014 was a poor effort from all players in general. The most important player who needs to get up and go the next step in 2015 is Steven, presuming his body is right. Armo will try hard but I don't think he has any more than we see now. I expect Newnes will do better again, as he did show good signs in 2014. Murdoch is a sleeper I think, and I expect him to step up. White should be pushing for selection, though he is a bit of an enigmatic character- could be anything...or nothing. Acres looks like he has the goods to be a class utility player, though for me the jury is still out on Ross, Weller, Webster and Wright- they need to push really hard in 2015 and get consistency in their games. I hope Saad gets a chance in 2015- skilled small forwards are a bonus. The rest..well who knows.