Starting to Feel Excited About the 2015 Season Ahead

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: Starting to Feel Excited About the 2015 Season Ahead

"There's a reason why we are odds for our second spoon & will probably push for 3 - we have the worst list in the comp."

mmm.
... true.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
SuperSaint66
Club Player

Yes, I'm starting to feel excited about the 2015 season, and I'd like to see

- a more attacking style of play, with quicker ball movement, and players prepared to back themselves and shoot for goal if within range. ( less reliance on Roo).

- players able to kick accurately to a target player, rather than down at their feet or way over their head.

- our team remaining competitive in most games. ( a much improved percentage)

-our young players given every opportunity to gain a regular place in the team

- no serious injuries.

- a win against Carlton on Anzac Day. (I'll be there)

Can't wait for Round 1!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I should add that I agree with the sainternist… I'm also excited about the year coming, lot's of things to go to the footy for… I just think we are behind 17 other clubs at the moment for talent & development, but the tide will turn.

saint6709
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
falka wrote:Tells us we rank 18th for players under 25.
Actually they say clear 18th.
Dunno how they measured it but how about this. Here are roughly the under 25s that I reckon might walk into a spot for the Hawks or Swans.

GWS: Ward, Davis, Treloar, Cameron, Shiel, Coniglio, probably others
Gold Coast: Swallow, Prestia, Bennell, Lynch, O'Meara, probably others
Sydney: Hannebery, Parker, Reid, Rampe, Johnson, maybe Mitchell
Port Adelaide: Ebert, Trengove, Hartlett, Wingard, Wines
Adelaide: Dangerfield, Sloane, Walker, Talia, maybe Brodie Smith, Crouch
Hawthorn: Shiels, Breust, Gunston, Hill, maybe Duryea, Langford
Western Bulldogs: Liberatore, Macrae, Stringer, Bontempelli, maybe Dahlhaus, Hunter
Brisbane: Redden, Beams, Rockliff, maybe Christensen, Mayes, Taylor, Aish
West Coast: Selwood, Naitanui, Darling, Shuey, maybe Gaff, Lycett
Essendon: Hurley, Heppell, Carlisle, maybe Daniher
Geelong: Duncan, Motlop, maybe Blicavs, Caddy, Menzel
Melbourne: McDonald, Tyson, Viney, maybe Trengove, Howe
North Melbourne: Cunnington, McDonald, maybe Bastinac, Wright
Richmond: Cotchin, Martin, maybe Conca, Vlastuin
Collingwood: Elliott, maybe Sidebottom, Adams
St Kilda: Steven, maybe Dunstan
Fremantle: Fyfe
Carlton: maybe Menzel

Certainly looks like we're right down near the bottom of that list, but I'd say Freo and Carlton have equally poor stocks and I'm not that impressed with the Collingwood group either.

On the plus side, we would have said this about Port two years ago and they've come up quickly. Same for the Doggies at the start of last year. So I wouldn't be abandoning all hope.

saint6709
Club Player

saint6709 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
falka wrote:Tells us we rank 18th for players under 25.
Actually they say clear 18th.
Dunno how they measured it but how about this. Here are roughly the under 25s that I reckon might walk into a spot for the Hawks or Swans.

GWS: Ward, Davis, Treloar, Cameron, Shiel, Coniglio, probably others
Gold Coast: Swallow, Prestia, Bennell, Lynch, O'Meara, probably others
Sydney: Hannebery, Parker, Reid, Rampe, Johnson, maybe Mitchell
Port Adelaide: Ebert, Trengove, Hartlett, Wingard, Wines
Adelaide: Dangerfield, Sloane, Walker, Talia, maybe Brodie Smith, Crouch
Hawthorn: Shiels, Breust, Gunston, Hill, maybe Duryea, Langford
Western Bulldogs: Liberatore, Macrae, Stringer, Bontempelli, maybe Dahlhaus, Hunter
Brisbane: Redden, Beams, Rockliff, maybe Christensen, Mayes, Taylor, Aish
West Coast: Selwood, Naitanui, Darling, Shuey, maybe Gaff, Lycett
Essendon: Hurley, Heppell, Carlisle, maybe Daniher
Geelong: Duncan, Motlop, maybe Blicavs, Caddy, Menzel
Melbourne: McDonald, Tyson, Viney, maybe Trengove, Howe
North Melbourne: Cunnington, McDonald, maybe Bastinac, Wright
Richmond: Cotchin, Martin, maybe Conca, Vlastuin
Collingwood: Elliott, maybe Sidebottom, Adams
St Kilda: Steven, maybe Dunstan
Fremantle: Fyfe
Carlton: maybe Menzel

Certainly looks like we're right down near the bottom of that list, but I'd say Freo and Carlton have equally poor stocks and I'm not that impressed with the Collingwood group either.

On the plus side, we would have said this about Port two years ago and they've come up quickly. Same for the Doggies at the start of last year. So I wouldn't be abandoning all hope.
I think we all know we are a few years from being competitive - I think our under 21 team would stack up reasonably well

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:
St Ick wrote:
dragit wrote:I meant Matthew Boyd… Hrovat, Stevens and Hunter are just hitting their straps but are better than most of our young mids at this stage…
I don't think those four are a grade at all, injuries and form had three of them playing ressies a bit last year. Boyd isn't getting younger, but is still a very good player.

Can't include Matty Boyd in there if you don't include Armo, Steven or Joey.

The big thing about the lists, is that unless they are elite like Billing or Macrae, they won't show the consistency, strength or domination of games until they hit 50-70 games.

I think you are being far too critical on our kids under 50 games. We could easily have a dozen on that list who play 150 plus at a very high standard
I didn't say those players were A grade.

The main point I am making is that their young players are a few years ahead of ours in development. But I also still think they have more young midfield talent at this stage too.

We are all hopeful on Saunders, Murdoch, Weller, Curren, Markworth, Minchington, Savage, Templeton, Ross, but none of them are genuinely AFL quality standard mids YET - hopefully a few come on.

There's a reason why we are odds for our second spoon & will probably push for 3 - we have the worst list in the comp.

I'm pretty confident the dogs will win more games this year than we do.
Sorry I got my posters confused as someone else mentioned those guys making it as a graders, assumed you continued along those lines.

I still think our kids are better than their kids, of course I'm factoring in the fact that they are probably three years ahead in their development than us and because of that they will win more games than us next year.

BUT, that's not to say our batch of kids won't turn out better than theirs once their careers are said and done. The names I would throw up are Newnes, Billings, Webster, Dunstan, Wright, Steven, add to that a few others like Ross, Sav, Eli to step up - add to that the probablility of us drafting an absolute a grade mid in this years draft in one of the Darcy's and I see no reason not to be optimistic. I believe our depth and quality is just as good as Bulldogs, in fact probably better at the same age and games played.

The majority of our list have played less than two full seasons worth of games. I wouldn't be too concerned if they aren't playing as well as champion data would like them to play just yet. Let's sound the alarm bells when they are ranked 18th after the majority have played 75 plus games!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

My comments above on the Under 25 AFL side might have seemed a bit gloomy. I dont think wed have anyone in that side if it was picked today. But we have a few capable of pushing up soon.

I would not be all that surprised if Hickey, Newnes, Dunstan & Webster were able to push into it in the next year or two.
Billings , Acres and White perhaps in three years time.
I think wed probably all agree that Nat Fyfe would skipper that side and GWS, Port and GC would have quite a few guys in there.

Is it a coincidence that us and Freo have the worst under 25s or does it confirm Lyon as a list destroyer?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:I think we all know we are a few years from being competitive - I think our under 21 team would stack up reasonably well
Let's see. Here's all the 21 and unders who've played at least a handful of games.

GWS: Smith, Treloar, Greene, Cameron, Shiel, Bugg, Hampton, Tomlinson, Coniglio, Hoskin-Elliott, Whitfield, Patton, Townsend, Williams, Plowman, Kelly, Buntine, Corr, Sumner, Golds
Brisbane: Mayes, Clarke, Paparone, Taylor, Aish, Gardiner, Close, Paine, McStay, Robertson, Cutler
Western Bulldogs: Macrae, Smith, Stringer, Hunter, Hrovat, Darley, Talia, Bontempelli, Jong, Boyd, Roberts
Gold Coast: O'Meara, Sexton, Kolodjashnij, Lemmens, Sumner, Lonergan, Martin, Cameron
Port Adelaide: Wingard, Wines, Hombsch, Neade, Impey, Colquhoun
Essendon: J Merrett, Daniher, Z Merrett, Edwards, Gleeson, Kavanagh, O'Brien, Ashby
Adelaide: Laird, Kerridge, B Crouch, M Crouch, Cameron
St Kilda: Newnes, Ross, Longer, Webster, Saunders, Murdoch, Billings, Dunstan, Wright, Templeton, Minchington
Melbourne: Tyson, Viney, Kent, Frost, Toumpas, Kennedy-Harris, Salem
Collingwood: Adams, Williams, Grundy, Kennedy, Langdon, Crisp, Broomhead
Carlton: Docherty, Menzel, Graham, Buckley, Jaksch, Johnson
Richmond: Ellis, Vlastuin, Arnot, McDonough, Lennon
Hawthorn: Hill, O'Rourke, Hartung, Anderson
Sydney: Cunningham, Lloyd, Mitchell, Jack
North Melbourne: McDonald, McKenzie, Turner
Geelong: Thurlow, Kersten, Bews, Hartman, McCarthy
Fremantle: Neale, Crozier, Sheridan, Taberner
West Coast: Yeo, Sheed, Tunbridge

I ordered them by some perceived measure of quality. Plenty to quibble about but that puts us solidly mid-table, better off than a bunch of clubs. But once again things can change fast. For instance, if Petracca, Brayshaw and Hogan all jump up this year and put some early runs on the board, Melbourne will be looking like superstars. But roughly the same applies to everyone else.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote: For instance, if Petracca, Brayshaw and Hogan all jump up this year and put some early runs on the board, Melbourne will be looking like superstars. But roughly the same applies to everyone else.
Yes I think a midfield with Tyson, Viney, Toumpas, Kennedy-Harris, Salem, Petracca, Brayshaw will abslouetly shred in a couple of years… & Jones who is only 27 so has some good football in front of him.

Some spuds in this list though : Geelong: Thurlow, Kersten, Bews, Hartman, McCarthy

Saintlester
Club Player

Before last season started everybody had written the Brions off as having worst list in league. Things can change quickly in this comp. Not everybody develops at the same rate. That being said we must be odds on to win spoon but like everyone else am looking for incremental improvement across the list.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
bergholt wrote: For instance, if Petracca, Brayshaw and Hogan all jump up this year and put some early runs on the board, Melbourne will be looking like superstars. But roughly the same applies to everyone else.
Yes I think a midfield with Tyson, Viney, Toumpas, Kennedy-Harris, Salem, Petracca, Brayshaw will abslouetly shred in a couple of years… & Jones who is only 27 so has some good football in front of him.

Some spuds in this list though : Geelong: Thurlow, Kersten, Bews, Hartman, McCarthy
I can guarantee not all will make it just like not all our kids will. The bulldogs list looks stronger now because they have got Bomtempelli, Mc Crae and Libba who already look like players with talent and have runs on the board. To me Toumpas looks like just an average player. Tyson looks the goods but the rest are just highly rated juniors. We have plenty of our own.

saint6709
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
saint6709 wrote:I think we all know we are a few years from being competitive - I think our under 21 team would stack up reasonably well
Let's see. Here's all the 21 and unders who've played at least a handful of games.

GWS: Smith, Treloar, Greene, Cameron, Shiel, Bugg, Hampton, Tomlinson, Coniglio, Hoskin-Elliott, Whitfield, Patton, Townsend, Williams, Plowman, Kelly, Buntine, Corr, Sumner, Golds
Brisbane: Mayes, Clarke, Paparone, Taylor, Aish, Gardiner, Close, Paine, McStay, Robertson, Cutler
Western Bulldogs: Macrae, Smith, Stringer, Hunter, Hrovat, Darley, Talia, Bontempelli, Jong, Boyd, Roberts
Gold Coast: O'Meara, Sexton, Kolodjashnij, Lemmens, Sumner, Lonergan, Martin, Cameron
Port Adelaide: Wingard, Wines, Hombsch, Neade, Impey, Colquhoun
Essendon: J Merrett, Daniher, Z Merrett, Edwards, Gleeson, Kavanagh, O'Brien, Ashby
Adelaide: Laird, Kerridge, B Crouch, M Crouch, Cameron
St Kilda: Newnes, Ross, Longer, Webster, Saunders, Murdoch, Billings, Dunstan, Wright, Templeton, Minchington
Melbourne: Tyson, Viney, Kent, Frost, Toumpas, Kennedy-Harris, Salem
Collingwood: Adams, Williams, Grundy, Kennedy, Langdon, Crisp, Broomhead
Carlton: Docherty, Menzel, Graham, Buckley, Jaksch, Johnson
Richmond: Ellis, Vlastuin, Arnot, McDonough, Lennon
Hawthorn: Hill, O'Rourke, Hartung, Anderson
Sydney: Cunningham, Lloyd, Mitchell, Jack
North Melbourne: McDonald, McKenzie, Turner
Geelong: Thurlow, Kersten, Bews, Hartman, McCarthy
Fremantle: Neale, Crozier, Sheridan, Taberner
West Coast: Yeo, Sheed, Tunbridge

I ordered them by some perceived measure of quality. Plenty to quibble about but that puts us solidly mid-table, better off than a bunch of clubs. But once again things can change fast. For instance, if Petracca, Brayshaw and Hogan all jump up this year and put some early runs on the board, Melbourne will be looking like superstars. But roughly the same applies to everyone else.
Acres and White probably not far from being on that list for us and hopefully Membrey also can make a mark - and like Melbourne if 1 or 2 of this years recruits make any sort of an impact this year we are heading pretty high on that list

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:The bulldogs list looks stronger now because they have got Bomtempelli, Mc Crae and Libba who already look like players with talent and have runs on the board.
You're saying the Bulldogs' list looks stronger than ours because they have better players than us?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
gringo wrote:The bulldogs list looks stronger now because they have got Bomtempelli, Mc Crae and Libba who already look like players with talent and have runs on the board.
You're saying the Bulldogs' list looks stronger than ours because they have better players than us?
case closed... :D

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
bergholt wrote:
case closed... :D

Na, the bulldogs kids have more runs on the board and are showing more than our kids and the Dees kids- they have shown more at this point in time. We have a senior core of players in Armo, Steven, Fisher, Riewoldt, Geary, Ray and Gilbert that will make us just as competitive as them and possibly more so this year. The Dogs ditched most of their old boys and bought in a future full forward who was struggling last year at NEAFL level.

We should see some big returns from some of our young guys this year. If we get someone like Ross taking the next step and Billings, Lee, Dustan etc all step up we could end up just as positive about the future. The Dees have a huge lot of high picks but very few who have actually shown any real potential superstardom. Their best mid is Jones and then a gulf to a big bunch of potential guns or journey men.

jays
Club Player

i dont care how bad we going to be i still cant wait to see us play

dragit
Saintsational Legend

jays wrote:i dont care how bad we going to be i still cant wait to see us play
I'm with you jays!

spert
Saintsational Legend

Must say that I'm getting a tired of soccer, cricket and tennis on the TV..need some AFL!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Must say that I'm getting a tired of soccer, cricket and tennis on the TV..need some AFL!
You'll be a lot more sick of cricket when the World Cup finally ends in seven weeks! Such a ridiculously tedious event.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Jack Newnes breakout year.

He will be that good.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Where the Dogs have it over us is their midfield. But with a bit of luck our 2013 draftees could see us overtake them within a few years. I'm very confident Billings, Dunstan, Acres and Templeton will all be very good long term players that play a lot of midfield minutes. Then we need a bit of luck from the 2014 rookie draft to continue to build our midfield. Jack Sinclair has huge wraps.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Jack Newnes breakout year.

He will be that good.
future capt right there Red

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Where the Dogs have it over us is their midfield. But with a bit of luck our 2013 draftees could see us overtake them within a few years. I'm very confident Billings, Dunstan, Acres and Templeton will all be very good long term players that play a lot of midfield minutes. Then we need a bit of luck from the 2014 rookie draft to continue to build our midfield. Jack Sinclair has huge wraps.

I'm going to say that Seb Ross will make an impact in 2015 too. His numbers have been progressing exactly as expected and he will get mid field time with Lenny gone and Steven likely to be managed through the early part of the season.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

stinger
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Must say that I'm getting a tired of soccer, cricket and tennis on the TV..need some AFL!
yep.......soccer and tennis crap as usual....cricket has lost its sparkle..for me anyway......bring on the real footy... :D :D :D :D

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.