Josh Bruce

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6709
Club Player

Josh Bruce

I like this guy and think he should be in the starting line up. I'm pretty sure the idea when he was recruited was to play him as a KPD but somehow he seems to have transitioned to the forward line

I think for team structure we need him to concentrate on making it as a back - reiwoldt is still with us as well as McCarten, lee, membrey and the great white hope. Thats 4 decent sized forwards after reiwoldt retires. With the forward line also a more likely destination for resting rucks.

I would like to see Bruce persevere as CHB - that will allow Fisher to play a more roaming quarterback role whilst mentoring Bruce on the field. Then next year start to transition Bruce to Fishers role and Godard to Bruce's allowing Godard some on field assistance from Bruce and Fisher throughout next year ( unless fisher and Bruce both in great form and injury free all year which will make it a little difficult to squeeze them all in the team !)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Josh Bruce

saint6709 wrote:I like this guy and think he should be in the starting line up. I'm pretty sure the idea when he was recruited was to play him as a KPD but somehow he seems to have transitioned to the forward line

I think for team structure we need him to concentrate on making it as a back - reiwoldt is still with us as well as McCarten, lee, membrey and the great white hope. Thats 4 decent sized forwards after reiwoldt retires. With the forward line also a more likely destination for resting rucks.

I would like to see Bruce persevere as CHB - that will allow Fisher to play a more roaming quarterback role whilst mentoring Bruce on the field. Then next year start to transition Bruce to Fishers role and Godard to Bruce's allowing Godard some on field assistance from Bruce and Fisher throughout next year ( unless fisher and Bruce both in great form and injury free all year which will make it a little difficult to squeeze them all in the team !)

Im with you on this but the only thing I can come with is he is being earmarked as the second ruckman and as such has no choice but to play forward. We certainly have enough forwards and we are a backman short.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Also agree with this.

I see our forwardline sorted for the future, at least on potential.

The backline is where I see Del, Bruce and Hughie in the future, footy is a tough/funny game - GWS have had all their backs go down injured and would dearly love him there still.

I can only imagine Bruce will be backup for Shinners or Chippa but you've got to feel for the kid

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saint6709 wrote:I like this guy and think he should be in the starting line up. I'm pretty sure the idea when he was recruited was to play him as a KPD but somehow he seems to have transitioned to the forward line

Im with you on this but the only thing I can come with is he is being earmarked as the second ruckman and as such has no choice but to play forward. We certainly have enough forwards and we are a backman short.
From the intra-club game yesterday I don't think Bruce went into the ruck at all (though I could easily be mistaken). It looked like he was playing forward for the heritage team. I think only Longer, Holmes and Pearce rotated in the ruck for both sides.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

From the intra-club game yesterday I don't think Bruce went into the ruck at all (though I could easily be mistaken). It looked like he was playing forward for the heritage team. I think only Longer, Holmes and Pearce rotated in the ruck for both sides.

Yes but surely we wont play 2 of those ruckman in real games because none of them have an ability to play forward for at least 50% of a games. We need a pinch hit second ruckman and I can only come up with Bruce. Lee certainly isn't the answer.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote: We need a pinch hit second ruckman and I can only come up with Bruce. Lee certainly isn't the answer.
A bit unfair considering he passed away decades ago.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I thought Tony said the inside word from the club is they feel he's struggling to cut the mustard as a defender hence they are trying him forward.

saint6709
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:I thought Tony said the inside word from the club is they feel he's struggling to cut the mustard as a defender hence they are trying him forward.
That may be so - but the way I see it is we need him as back and we possibly don't require him as a forward. I would like to see him given every opportunity in 2015 to see if he now can cut it as a back

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

As what seems to be the way of thinking nowadays, "what would Hawthorn do"?
Some guys need to be able to play many or at least dual roles.
Bruce forward/ruck/defense may be the go for the way footy is played nowadays

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

He attacks the contest like a lunatic. Lee is not that type, and neither is Spencer White. We need a pack smasher in the front half with genuine height and size, excluding Riewoldt, of course, and I see Bruce as the only one on the list who fits the bill. I say give him some time in the front half and see what he can do. McCartin may be that player on the long term, but he's 3 years away from that. Aggression in the front half should not be underestimated.

PJ
SS Life Member

Although not your text book set shot he is effective in front of goals and proved that last year. Odd that he wasn't tried in the ruck yesterday as I think that's the spot they are grooming him for (Stanley replacement).

He will probably take a minute to get fully over his surgery and get his body right. Perhaps they didn't want him to be exposed to ruck work just yet.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think that Bruce can play either end. However the part of his game that has shone out the most so far is his marking, and that tends to be a bigger asset up forward than down back.

However not sure how you fit all of Riewoldt, White, Lee, Bruce and McCartin into the one forward line. Not all may play every week, but that is still too many unless at least one does not play only as a key forward..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I think that Bruce can play either end. However the part of his game that has shone out the most so far is his marking, and that tends to be a bigger asset up forward than down back.

However not sure how you fit all of Riewoldt, White, Lee, Bruce and McCartin into the one forward line. Not all may play every week, but that is still too many.
And then there is also Membrey. No idea how it works even if McCartin plays bugger all. Still way to tall and slow. You can forget about them playing a proper resting ruckman.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Bluthy wrote:I thought Tony said the inside word from the club is they feel he's struggling to cut the mustard as a defender hence they are trying him forward.
I reckon he defended well... when he didn't lose his man. :idea:

cwrcyn wrote:He attacks the contest like a lunatic. Lee is not that type, and neither is Spencer White. We need a pack smasher in the front half with genuine height and size, excluding Riewoldt, of course, and I see Bruce as the only one on the list who fits the bill. I say give him some time in the front half and see what he can do. McCartin may be that player on the long term, but he's 3 years away from that. Aggression in the front half should not be underestimated.
Whilst not cat-like, he's not a truck, agility-wise. And he's very quick.

PJ wrote:Although not your text book set shot he is effective in front of goals and proved that last year. Odd that he wasn't tried in the ruck yesterday as I think that's the spot they are grooming him for (Stanley replacement).

He will probably take a minute to get fully over his surgery and get his body right. Perhaps they didn't want him to be exposed to ruck work just yet.
Was starting to hold his marks and kick goals before that injury. If Josh can get that going again, then the opposition will have to put a decent defender on him, c/f having that bloke zone-off as part of the every-defender-takes-Roo tactic that we let the opposition get away with. :x

(Note to Paddy McC. If you want to have your leads honoured at the Saintas... dye your hair blonde! :wink: )

Josh can always still be swung into defence when required, but I like him up forward. Could end up a bit of a revelation, I reckon... time will tell.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Had hoped he would be the tall forward/ruck option but on what I saw yesterday he is no where near that. Defence for me or send him back to Sandi.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Have to agree.
With Fisher Dempster at the end of their careers and Gilbo missing a stack of footy - I see opportunities down the track for both Bruce and Roberton in defence.
Bruce as a fwd/ruck is a nice idea. But sometimes nice ideas just arent enough to make them reality.

I think we have enough to work with in Longer/Hickey/Pierce.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I can't say that I've seen much from him to suggest he could make it as a forward

it would be nice to see Josh settle into a position by the end of the season