Sandy vs. Druggies TBBO TODAY 2PM Be there!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

Re: Sandy vs. Druggies TBBO TODAY 2PM Be there!

Con Gorozidis wrote:
FQF wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:I went.

Lee a DEFINTITE IN against Carlton. That I have no doubt. Looked like a true full back today. Surprised me to say the least.

Lee will play deep in defence in NZ, and Fisher may be switched to half forward to cover Roo's absence.

Just a very strong gut feel.......
Lee would be undersized against the top 2 key forwards in pretty much every team in the league. Including Henderson Jones and Casboult.
Hence why we recruited Delaney and Goddard. We also have Gilbert.
So you need to compare Lee to the 3rd sized fwd. Lee is taller than both Dempster and Fisher. No need or expectation for him to ever have to go to a monster.
It's an interesting approach. In the NAB challenge he was still playing as a forward so this seems to be decision making on the fly. That doesn't mean it can't work... If it does it might spell the end for Tommy Simpkin.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

It's funny isn't it? If hawthorn move players around they are lauded for making players more adaptable... When we do it, we have no idea what we're doing & are stunting development - Rhys Stanley.

Not sure about Lee down back, I guess they are trying to develop his defensive running & competitiveness, but his biggest weapon is goal kicking, I can't imagine him playing in the backline at AFL level effectively.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:It's funny isn't it? If hawthorn move players around they are lauded for making players more adaptable... When we do it, we have no idea what we're doing & are stunting development - Rhys Stanley.

Not sure about Lee down back, I guess they are trying to develop his defensive running & competitiveness, but his biggest weapon is goal kicking, I can't imagine him playing in the backline at AFL level effectively.
But Lee looks hopeless as an AFL forward. Yesterday at TBBO he actually looked like a natural defender. His beautiful kicking action helps also. I reckon now we have Paddy and Bruce as our future key forwards, it's worth the punt on making Lee a defender. It's either that or no AFL career for him IMO.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Agree, anything is worth a shot for him right now.

FQF
SS Life Member

Hudson said post match that Lee actually played in SANFL premierships as a defender and the position is better suited for his shoulder problems. Not sure what that means...

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Hudson said post match that Lee actually played in SANFL premierships as a defender and the position is better suited for his shoulder problems. Not sure what that means...
You know what that means. We've been wasting him up forward for close to 3 seasons

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Perhaps he needs to be in the team as a medium running backman?

Gotta remember that it wasnt until later in his career that Fisher began playing more as a KPB whereas up til then he was more a tall run quarter back
Tommy played a great game, but let's not get too carried away, he couldn't run out of sight on a dark night!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
falka
Club Player

I'm sure the club wish they could somehow swap lee for Mitch Brown of Sandy.
He does kick goals

FQF
SS Life Member

falka wrote:I'm sure the club wish they could somehow swap lee for Mitch Brown of Sandy.
He does kick goals
Mitch Brown will be in high demand next year. Can't believe he didn't get picked up.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
falka wrote:I'm sure the club wish they could somehow swap lee for Mitch Brown of Sandy.
He does kick goals
Mitch Brown will be in high demand next year. Can't believe he didn't get picked up.

Didn't you see him play at Geelong for about 5 years? he hasn't really got a position in the AFL.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
He does kick goals

Didn't you see him play at Geelong for about 5 years? he hasn't really got a position in the AFL.
He'd make a good forward. Perhaps a late bloomer but to think that he is worse than every listed player in the league is clearly wrong.

Wikipedia says he is 196cm. If Membrey can find a position, then Mitch surely can with that size.

I recall Hird commenting during the NAB challenge that he can't believe that he isn't on a list.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
He does kick goals

He'd make a good forward. Perhaps a late bloomer but to think that he is worse than every listed player in the league is clearly wrong.

Wikipedia says he is 196cm. If Membrey can find a position, then Mitch surely can with that size.

I recall Hird commenting during the NAB challenge that he can't believe that he isn't on a list.

I have no doubt he is better than some listed AFL players but so is probably many in the VFL. He is tall enough but couldn't seem to get it done at AFL level. he isn't a key forward and maybe he is to slow for other positions.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Did Gwilt play for the Bummers. If so how did he go?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Did Gwilt play for the Bummers. If so how did he go?
Yes he did and didn't do much, but should be OK in the VFL.

CJ was pretty good at times for Sandy and will be handy for them, although he did kick to the opposition once

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote: He'd make a good forward. Perhaps a late bloomer but to think that he is worse than every listed player in the league is clearly wrong.

I have no doubt he is better than some listed AFL players but so is probably many in the VFL. He is tall enough but couldn't seem to get it done at AFL level. he isn't a key forward and maybe he is to slow for other positions.
Brown badly broke his leg in his first season with the Cats and then on his comeback in the following season he did his shoulder and missed all of that season. Since then he has had a few niggling injuries which has probably further hampered his development

He was a late bloomer in his youth and grew substantially during his TAC Cup years with Sandy - he was a bolter in the 2008 draft - pick 15 - Apparently was a Saints supporter growing up!!

He could be worth another shot given he seems to be over his injuries and is back playing good football - can be used as a swingman if needed

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Brown is an excellent VFL player, ask any Geelong fan. Not quite good enough to become a good AFL player though, Beau Maister, Tom Lee, TDL all dominated the next level down too.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Last seven minutes.

And the song

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

saintspremiers wrote: CJ was pretty good at times for Sandy and will be handy for them, although he did kick to the opposition once
I think the word you are looking for is "sensational"

I hope that Lee develops into a good backman - we havent recruited well in the last few drafts down back or developed a really good bookend.
Heres hoping he becomes our long armed Dustin Fletcher

Seeya
gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Brown is an excellent VFL player, ask any Geelong fan. Not quite good enough to become a good AFL player though, Beau Maister, Tom Lee, TDL all dominated the next level down too.

I'm not sure any of them dominated it Dragit. I'm not saying Brown is any good as I don't remember him that well from Geelong days and haven't seen him at Sandy. Lee is often suggested as not good enough for VFL for some and Maister hardly went nuts at that level.TDL is probably a bit of a VFL bully though, couldn't get it happening at senior level.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
dragit wrote:Brown is an excellent VFL player, ask any Geelong fan. Not quite good enough to become a good AFL player though, Beau Maister, Tom Lee, TDL all dominated the next level down too.

I'm not sure any of them dominated it Dragit. I'm not saying Brown is any good as I don't remember him that well from Geelong days and haven't seen him at Sandy. Lee is often suggested as not good enough for VFL for some and Maister hardly went nuts at that level.TDL is probably a bit of a VFL bully though, couldn't get it happening at senior level.
Didn't all three of them kick 60-odd goals in the WAFL though?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
gringo wrote:

Obviously a step down then because all struggle at VFL to have the same impact. Not saying Brown is a certainty to be a good player at AFL level but JPod didn't have much trouble switching over nor do a lot of others so it's possibly cherry picking the ones that don't make the grade. I'm not sure how many AFL games Brown got for how much out put but he is racking up goals at the moment. He seemed to be a bit unlucky with injury but I didn't really follow his career.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
dragit wrote:
gringo wrote:

Obviously a step down then because all struggle at VFL to have the same impact. Not saying Brown is a certainty to be a good player at AFL level but JPod didn't have much trouble switching over nor do a lot of others so it's possibly cherry picking the ones that don't make the grade. I'm not sure how many AFL games Brown got for how much out put but he is racking up goals at the moment. He seemed to be a bit unlucky with injury but I didn't really follow his career.

Pods have never been seen at AFL level though. Brown had 6 years at that level and couldn't make it. Anyway he isn't the type we need. leave him for others to take.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Brown had 6 years at that level and couldn't make it. Anyway he isn't the type we need.
So what type do we need to become a good team Plugger? Genuine question

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I cant believe how short sighted some of posters on here are regarding the form of VFL players. Mitch Brown had struggled with injuries and then opportunities for his entire AFL career. He had pins removed from his shoulders late last year and has said that has full regained full movement in his shoulders and felt fully fit for the first time in years. He would have been the perfect swing man for the Saints and has already shown more in 4 games with Sandringham and Essendon than senior listed players such as Simpkin, Sipposs, Lee, or Markworth. There will be players delisted at years end we would be mad not to pick him up at least in a rookie position.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Brown had 6 years at that level and couldn't make it. Anyway he isn't the type we need.
So what type do we need to become a good team Plugger? Genuine question

I think he probably wants more outside running mids. I think we have the forward line covered unless we put Spencer, Lee and Bruce back with Goddard, Fisher and Delaney. Mc cartin, Rooey and Membery forward. We ave a heap of options for ball winning mids but some classy outside runners will start to complete the picture.