poor recruiting?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: poor recruiting?

Does it really matter how the guys played today.
We got the desired result.
Game time into a lot of kids and we lost.

We are going to have to work really hard to get the number one draft pick this year.

Rodney Eade is showing everyone why the Bulldos could not win a premiership or even make it into a grand final.
He has taken Gold Coast so far backward.
They should be in the 8, instead they lose to GWS who have a years less experience.
Dumped McKenna for Eade, brilliant!
Brisbane are really trying hard to win the spoon and even Geelong are chasing a good draft pick.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Just have to keep n mind, Rodney Eade ended up at the Gold Coast as a "hel'll do," because good old Bomber Thompson backed out of the deal made which lead to the sacking of Guy McKenna. When the whisper came out Hird might be sacked, he starte d back-pedalling out if the deal.

But yes he hasn't done anything to improve the Gold Coast, but hey who cares?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Just noticed Joshua Schache has played 1 TAC Cup game this year and kicked 7.
Lions will have their eye on him for sure - looks like the next J Brown.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 27 Apr 2015 5:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

op sad thread, i was cut yesterday after that loss but hey kids are kids and hey run out of legs. ease it up on Billings he's going to be very good. plus i bet you weren't questioning him when he kicked that sweet goal.

as mentioned, would you tear Lenny apart knowing what a champion he became? I can tell you he was a slow starter. Patience, our boys are showing something and will come good.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
AJR

Have you all forgotten what St Kilda was like in the Watson era. We were pathetic - it was straight back to the dark ages of the 80s. You youngsters have no idea how far St Kilda has come in the past 15 years. Our 10 years of reaching for and almost making the top has ended. Get used to it. Essendon had the most wonderful team in 2000. How long has it taken them to climb? Brisbane won 3 on the trot. How are they going in year 11 of the rebuild? The plan being followed by St Kilda has brought some very talented young guys into the club and I see every possibility that we can develop a core of talent to take us higher. However, we're a long way off, as we have declining older players that are facing imminent retirement. I don't see any avoidance of being a bottom 3 team for the next 2-3 years. If the big blokes we drafted in 2014 come through, along with a clutch of present senior players and 2nd players, then a couple more top 5 picks should be enough to move up as older teams drop off. Then it'll be our turn to get free agents and have a crack. My understanding is that's the club's plan and I like it.

Don't be so reactive to losses. They're having a go, as evidenced by early success in games, but it takes a few years for guys, even the talented ones, to develop the body, stamina and smarts for AFL footy.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

AJR wrote:Don't be so reactive to losses. They're having a go, as evidenced by early success in games, but it takes a few years for guys, even the talented ones, to develop the body, stamina and smarts for AFL footy.
I think you've condensed the next 3 years worth of posts on this board in one common sense sentence. Lets shut it down people. See you in 2018 for the finals :D

Johnny Favier
Club Player

Saint wagga wrote:my only regret is letting BJ and Dal go...i think we could have kept them and still brought in talent. they wouldnt have stopped us bringing in our top 10 picks, (only2) and the rest of our young guns arent even that high a pick. trading out club champions and 'marquee' saints still doesnt sit well with me when talking about culture and legacy. would love to havr seen BJ be there for our next tilt...can someone tell me if any player brought in directly as a result of letting these two go is going to be an out and out gun? and again, i just dont see keeping these two affect our ability to get our top 10's, Big boy macevoy hadnt even played 100 games so much less issue letting him go!!

Thoughts on the above?
IMO - I think major factors in letting BJ and Dal go was to free up salary cap space...we should have a nice war chest by the end of next season to go and chase some decent free agents - coinciding with our recruits starting to hit the magical 50-60 game mark, then after that is when we should see our club start to take some major strides back up the ladder.

Patience is all we need as supporters at this stage. All IMHO of course.