What a liabilty Saad is

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: What a liabilty Saad is

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I am not one for bagging players - but people on here force me into it by saying absurd and ridiculous stuff.
lol now that is funny.
Are you the guy that called Stanley a 'great' player?
Ill let the MCC so know so they can prepare the bronze statue.

I am all for a wide range of views - but some things are just off with the fairies.

The main sentiment of my posts were positive - Big ups for Josh Bruce and Support for Minch.

By unconditionally supporting Saad - you are also oppressing someone like Minch (or Saunders).
Minch is on the last year of his contract - I assume you dont care if he never gets a shot and ends up on the scrap heap at 22 because Saad gets games week in week out.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

The problem with Saad has always been, where does he fit in? He's not tall enough to be a leading forward, he not slipperly enough to be a crumbing forward, he doesn't have the footy smarts or reflexes to play through the midfield, he doesn't have the endurance be a hard running flanker or winger. He's just another of those glut of players we have who seemed selected without really thinking through what position they were meant to hold down.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

For everyone who pats themselves on the back as a great superior supporter because they unconditionally support the guys in the 22 - an argument can be made that you are stomping on a guy outside the 22 who is on the fringe.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 28 Apr 2015 12:09am, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Are you the guy that called Stanley a 'great' player?
I doubt it, but if you can find a post like that you should quote it - that was funny though when you compared his year at full back to Bruce's first 2 games at full forward, and then again after 4 rounds... not at all relevant, but good for a chuckle.
Con Gorozidis wrote:By unconditionally supporting Saad - you are also oppressing someone like Minch (or Saunders).
Minch is on the last year of his contract - I assume you dont care if he never gets a shot and ends up on the scrap heap at 22 because Saad gets games week in week out.
You are so damn dramatic princess, this is also the first year of Minch's contract, which he was very lucky to get. If he plays a number of good games at VFL level I'm sure he will get a game.

I think Saad should definitely be dropped this week, in hindsight it was probably a mistake playing him at all this year yet as he hasn't looked right which is understandable for a guy that
A) hasn't played a lot of footy
&
B) has just missed 18 months

I am assuming that they are giving most guys a few games in the side to give them a chance to prove themselves, Saad hasn't taken his so will be dropped - no doubt. Hopeful he fights back and gets himself into some form, I don't understand willing the guy to fail

Minchington has played what, 1 decent VFL game this year? If he's good enough, he'll break into the side… unfortunately for him Sincalir & Lonie look ahead of him, Schneider going okay too despite the constant moaning on here.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:For everyone who pats themselves on the back as a great superior supporter because they unconditionally support the guys in the 22 - an argument can be made that you are stomping on a guy outside the 22 who is on the fringe.
How can any of us be stomping on anyone when none of us have any power over selection?

I'm sure most of us who are supporting players in the 22 are also supporting most of those outside the 22.

Unfortunately only 22 can be selected each week.

Austinnn
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I hope you are kidding.
Garlett kicked 43 goals in 2013

Here is Saads player ratings from an independent observer with no emotional interest for 2013

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Rati ... Ahmed-SAAD

13 games
11 of them poor (3 or less out of 10), including 2 2s and a 1.
Then has has another poor game (4) and one average one (6).

Add to that 4 VFL games where he also didnt touch the ball.
Here are some VFL highlights:
16 VFL Failed to make any real impact up forward. -
17 VFL Just the one goal. Would expect more again this calibre of opposition. -
18 VFL Kicked a goal but was hardly sighted for much of the day. -
Honestly read that and then tell me how I am pushing a 'myth'.
I am not one for bagging players - but people on here force me into it by saying absurd and ridiculous stuff.
I mean sometimes i wonder how we are bottom when all our players are champions.
It is called cognitive dissonance.
Not kidding Con.

You said he didn't touch the ball. Stats proved he did. Thats all. Like I said, maybe its just a semantic argument, but going on about him like he didn't do anything is a childish exaggeration.

Just look at your argument: I contest the myth that Saad didn't touch the ball in 2013, all of a sudden I'm saying we have team of champions? If you only see black and white, maybe you should follow the Pies.

OK, yes, Saad didn't play as well as Garlett, but and he's no star; granted. I've already said I don't think he's in our best 22 on paper. But plenty of players get 2nd year blues, he has potential and he was worth a rookie punt.

Right now, he looks terrible in a side with poor midfield delivery, which is where we are, but so do plenty of others. probably time to try something else, I agree. Still a chance he can develop his forward pressure which is where he originally showed promise as well as his set shots.

You keep going on that we are holding back Minch's progress; don't be daft. He's progressing in the VFL very nicely, building his confidence and experience. That is how you develop kids, not throw them all in the deep end at the same time. We've got two players with less than 5 games experuence in the forward line already. I'd love to see your idea of playing all our young stars at once in action, my guess is we'd probably score 3 goals a game.

My hunch is Minch will get his chances when more experienced players come back into the team; Monty, Roo, Gilbert. He's not in a position to chuck his toys out of his pram for not getting a game in the first 4 games.

You like to think the coaching staff are a bunch of bumbling idiots that can't see what you can sitting over in WA watching on TV. Maybe they are doing their job correctly and as someone said somewhere else having a look now at the players on the edge rather than the sure bets. Anyway the key is that its week 5 and you're already freaking out. Take a step back for Cliff's sake.

I know you want to see all our players showing promise and all our game plans coming off, but there will be bumps along the way.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:For everyone who pats themselves on the back as a great superior supporter because they unconditionally support the guys in the 22 - an argument can be made that you are stomping on a guy outside the 22 who is on the fringe.
How can any of us be stomping on anyone when none of us have any power over selection?

I'm sure most of us who are supporting players in the 22 are also supporting most of those outside the 22.

Unfortunately only 22 can be selected each week.
I reckon many of us are just frustrated that AR is loath to make changes

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

4 pages on a rookie player. Seriously he isn't the problem. Should we have drafted him. I said no at the time and still say no. Should we carry on like kids because he is selected over others when we have no idea why he is selected. No we shouldn't. He will get dropped when he isn't fulfilling a role on thew ground. I would imagine AR is trying to win games so im doubting he is picking players hoping we lose.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

A very good point.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: I would imagine AR is trying to win games so im doubting he is picking players hoping we lose.
I wouldn't be staking my house on that. I would think this year is all about draft positions/choices and little else.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote: I would imagine AR is trying to win games so im doubting he is picking players hoping we lose.
I wouldn't be staking my house on that. I would think this year is all about draft positions/choices and little else.

Rubbish. Obviously he will play young guys that wont be ready to give experience but the best experience is winning. Also AR needs to keep him job and one win this year and bottom again next year wont keep his job. And why would Saad play if he isn't trying to win. He isn't young or the future. Same with Schneider. You have to have a balance between winning and blooding kids.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
A very good point.
Really? It's a ridiculous point…

I haven't read one person suggest that Saad should stay in the side this week, let alone unconditionally.

And stomping? Not a good point, just emotional rubbish.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:
saynta wrote:
A very good point.
Really? It's a ridiculous point…

I haven't read one person suggest that Saad should stay in the side this week, let alone unconditionally.

And stomping? Not a good point, just emotional rubbish.
But it's a very good point if you're into emotional rubbish.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Austinnn wrote: If you only see black and white, maybe you should follow the Pies.
lol

Austinnn
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:I reckon many of us are just frustrated that AR is loath to make changes
SPrem, This may be the best point of the thread. In fact, it should be the title of the thread.

The million dollar questions are:

1) Why is he loathe to make changes? (If he actually is)
2) Why does that annoy us?

I personally like that he's prepared to back his players even after they have a poor game, or make poor decisions, it's really good for confidence and decision making long term. But it does carry considerable consequences.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:I reckon many of us are just frustrated that AR is loath to make changes
SPrem, This may be the best point of the thread. In fact, it should be the title of the thread.

I personally like that he's prepared to back his players even after they have a poor game, or make poor decisions, it's really good for confidence and decision making long term. But it does carry considerable consequences.
Good question and maybe someone can pose it to him when he next does a Facebook chat. Maybe Tone can enlighten us somewhat?

Players deserve a second chance, but sometimes it three or four and that's what pisses off a few of us.

At the end of the day we are crap and will hardly win any games this year regardless, so it's all about even player development and who needs the most time in the ones.

Pammy Lee only got one game last year and was ditched but apart from that he does give players many chances.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

But once again AR 'backing his players' can just as easily be seen as a lack of faith in their replacements in the squad.
List Mgt is a zero sum game. There are winners and losers. Its one thing to 'stick by your players' but that's only half of the equation. When you keep doing that in a losing side you are also eroding the integrity in the selection system and eroding the confidence of those not in the side. Two sides of this coin.

I think noone can argue Saad was very very poor in 2013 and at 25 very lucky indeed to get re dratfted.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 28 Apr 2015 4:49pm, edited 2 times in total.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

This thread is look a bit Saad

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:

Firstly I think we have pretty ordinary depth, secondly we have had a lot of our depth injured or not ready to play and thirdly the most important point is people say players should play a few games in a row to see if they are up to it but when that happens we did points made that AR wont make changes. You cant have it both ways.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:But once again AR backing his players can just as easily be seen as a lack of faith in their replacements in the squad.
I think noone can argue Saad was very very poor in 2013 and at 25 very lucky indeed to get re dratfted.
Had pretty similar numbers in 2013 as MInchington did last year, who was also pretty lucky to be upgraded.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_p ... fopt2=2014

I've no doubt Richo will cycle the players through this year.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:

Rubbish. Obviously he will play young guys that wont be ready to give experience but the best experience is winning. Also AR needs to keep him job and one win this year and bottom again next year wont keep his job. And why would Saad play if he isn't trying to win. He isn't young or the future. Same with Schneider. You have to have a balance between winning and blooding kids.

Not rubbish at all you know it all. Geez, you are rude worse than anyone else i have had the misfortune to run into on SS by a country mile.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:

Not rubbish at all you know it all. Geez, you are rude worse than anyone else i have had the misfortune to run into on SS by a country mile.

Alright then crap. How should I write something that I believe is rubbish? Its hardly insulting. It isn't a personal attack on you. And I doubt we have ever run into each other. Im happy to show you posts where you have insulted me more than saying rubbish. Please don't dish it out if you cant take it. Just a little advise and for free.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:

Alright then crap. How should I write something that I believe is rubbish? Its hardly insulting. It isn't a personal attack on you. And I doubt we have ever run into each other. Im happy to show you posts where you have insulted me more than saying rubbish. Please don't dish it out if you cant take it. Just a little advise and for free.

Not crap either. I'm just telling it like it is, including your rudeness. It's just not my opinion on the draft pick comment. My source has credibility. And for the record, you can keep your advice to yourself. It's not needed or appreciated.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:

Not crap either. I'm just telling it like it is, including your rudeness. It's just not my opinion on the draft pick comment. My source has credibility. And for the record, you can keep your advice to yourself. It's not needed or appreciated.

Lets be totally honest you have no source and I certainly don't. Why would Saad be playing if what you say is true and why Schneider or Fisher. And why would AR agree to such rubbish?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:

Lets be totally honest you have no source and I certainly don't. Why would Saad be playing if what you say is true and why Schneider or Fisher. And why would AR agree to such rubbish?
For longer term gain. obviously.