Votes vs Dogs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Votes vs Dogs

saintbob wrote:5 - Armo
4 - Steven
3 - Billings
2 - Fisher
1 - Schneider

Me too.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
chook23 wrote:I know you love geary ..K..........but?
I'm comfortable with it....

Their smalls were quiet even though a massive onslaught first half and a lot of groundball in their 50

Thought he worked really hard....on dalhaus especially.

It's the little stuff, I noticed.

My votes

I was at the game, Geary was fantastic today, worked really hard with out the ball, I couldn't fit him in but he was really good but so was Schneider though so had to choose one.

loris
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
SainterK wrote:
chook23 wrote:I know you love geary ..K..........but?
I'm comfortable with it....

Their smalls were quiet even though a massive onslaught first half and a lot of groundball in their 50

Thought he worked really hard....on dalhaus especially.

It's the little stuff, I noticed.

My votes

I was at the game, Geary was fantastic today, worked really hard with out the ball, I couldn't fit him in but he was really good but so was Schneider though so had to choose one.
Yes Sainter K I have just watched through the replay of the first 2 quarters when the Saints were under the pump and watched Geary closely (as I often do when I read lots of criticism about certain players)

Critics should go back & watch those first two quarters and note Geary's efforts.

Dalhurst (was practically non existant) - each time they went for the ball Geary had him playing off side to the goals in the forward half and he was totally ineffective and couldn't break Geary's pressure so gave none of that Dalhurst dash when the Bullies are on a push.

# 13 was picked up by Geary 2'ce, as I think Dalhurst went onto the ball at that stage. He really put pressure on him once and worried him off the ball. The next time #13 had the ball in a good position Gears corralled him onto his wrong side and the kick went out of bounds...which stopped a certain run on goal.

When Dalhurst tackled a very slow thinking Fisher & goaled, it wasn't Geary who had let Dalhurst slip away then it was Steven who had picked him up and given Dalhurst latitude that resulted in the goal, as Geary was on #13 at the time.

#44 (?) took a good mark over Geary when Gears was found out of position and Gears had to give a free to #44 to slow the attack up. All this resulted from Riewoldt's blunder, when he kicked across the ground to Billings in the forward line and he miss kicked, the ball rebounded quickly and found Geary out of position..... however Geary made a valiant effort to spoil #44 giving away the free, however it slowed up play and allowed our defenders to re-group.

Dalhurst received a handpass, when he slipped off Geary....no goal resulted.

Fisher had run off Stringer (who had been towelling Fisher up very easily) on one occasion and had been left out of position...... Geary slotted back to the goal square in an effort fill in for Fisher and Stringer had an easy mark over Geary.....definitely not Gearys fault. Many other of our defenders wouldn't have even had the speed to get back as Geary did to try and contest the mark with Stringer. Fisher's error not Geary's!

AT one stage I think Dalhurst & Geary may have been coming off the interchange bench together (or maybe Geary had picked him up in the centre as Dalhurst was heading back towards the forward area, one can't always tell watching the game on telly) Armo who was under no pressure kicked towards Geary, but it was way too short and easily marked by Dalhurst. Gears attempted to spoil but gave away a free. Great as Armo was in this game....his kicking disposal in the first half was woeful at times.

Then I noticed Geary had to pick up Picken towards the end of the quarter.

Oh and there was one of Geary's courageous efforts, when the bullies had a clear run on goal. When in an attempted marking duel to stop an easy Bullies mark, admittedly he took out Newnes in the effort...however the mayhem stopped the run on goal.

Mainly in these first 2 quarters I have concentrated on looking at the defensive role Gears played when the Saints backline was under extreme pressure........ I didn't bother noting his handpasses and kicks received/delivered...whether they were to advantage or not. However what I can recall no goals in that period were a direct result of Geary's efforts.

Some posters on this site should go back and look at the replay. I must admit that watching matches on TV doesn't show the true persepective of what happens on the field.

Typing this up has made me miss reviewing the second half again,,,,so I'll have to await until tomorrow to watch that great effort of the Saints.

All I really wanted to say to the Geary bashers...................... he obviously has a set role to play, and does it well under pressure even tho he isn't the most skilled player in the team. So I can see where Sainter K is coming from. I notice many have given Fisher votes for this match. Really go back and look at his efforts in the 1st half...... not what one wants from a senior player when the team is under the pump.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Sorry double post
Last edited by loris on Sun 10 May 2015 3:29am, edited 1 time in total.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Sorry folks....triple post :oops: :oops: But at least in editing out 2 posts I notice it is Dalhaus..... not Dalhurst as I have spelt the Bullies player name!!!!!

minneapolis
Club Player

5 - Armo - beast mode
4 - Jack 1 - Steven - all over the ground
3 - Schneider - four quarters
2 - Billings - won the game
1 - Lonie - forward pressure

Stiff: Roo, Hickey, Weller et al

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote:5 - Armo - beast mode
That's not a bad nickname for him.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

5 Billings
4 Armo
3 Jack Steven
2 Hickey
1 Fisher

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

5 - Armo
4 - JB
3 - Steven
2 - Chips
1 - Tom

apologies to Dunstan, Robbo, Schneids, Joey and Roo and the DMac

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Cheers Loris

He did play a ripper.

Votes are as I see it...

stevie
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
minneapolis wrote:5 - Armo - beast mode
That's not a bad nickname for him.

Marshawn Armitage...lol?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

5 Armo - not only relentlessly winning contested ball but was really good on the spread with gut running. Loved his leadership in getting into players ears in the 2nd quarter when it was going pear shaped
4 Billings - class, excitement, x-factor but also bloody hard work including winning his own ball.
3 Steven - Just kept running relentlessly and often pops up to be the link up man when it looks like wer'e at a dead end.
2 Montagna - I thought his efforts at the footy and run helped turn the tide after half time
1 Fisher- kept marshalling the backline and shows the bravery with the ball in turning defence into attack.
Unlucky -Sinclar - kids got icewater running through his veins - choose not to give to the skipper and slot it yourself? that's having balls.

lewdogs
Club Player

5 Armo
4 Steven
3 Billings
1 McKenzie
1 Riewoldt
1 Delaney

Just watched the 2nd half and Roo was immense. What a champion.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Armo
Billings
Hickey
Steven
Chips

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Armo
Billings
Hickey
Steven
Schneider

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Re: Votes v WB media darlings

4 Armitage
4 Billings
2 Steven
2 Schneider
1 Fisher
1 Hickey
1 Montagna

Hold your ground :shock:
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Sinclar - kids got icewater running through his veins - choose not to give to the skipper and slot it yourself? that's having balls.
And that's the way it should be. If you are facing the big sticks within range - have a ping!! Also why risk giving the opposition a split second to tackle or smother both you and the bloke you're passing to. Indecision or a fumble is fatal so you need balls to take on the responsibility and get the job done.

Last week Membrey marked and instinctively gave it off to the more experienced player who was demanding the footy. Membrey passed it to Schneider who went back, took his time and missed from 40m out dead in front. If Membrey had gone back and taken his time and slotted it from 45m out on a 45 degree angle maybe he could have been the matchwinner...maybe he would have kept his spot in the team.

Or maybe Membrey would still have been dropped because team structure meant that a tall marking type had to make way in the forward line for another tall marking type who also happens to be the skipper. Thing is that Rooy ended up higher up the ground so go figure. I still believe that there is a spot for Membrey if he learns to take his chances.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

5.billings
4.armo
3 steven
2.joey
1.schneider

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

150 Armitage
117 Billings
97 Steven
42 Fisher
28 Hickey
10 Schneider
7 Roberton
6 Montagna
2 McKenzie
2 Sinclair
1 Delaney
1 Geary
1 Lonie
1 Riewoldt

Therefore:
5 Armitage
4 Billings
3 Steven
2 Fisher
1 Hickey

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!