Player swoop?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Player swoop?

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
borderbarry wrote:A few interesting prospects on other teams lists..
Port Adelaide, Tom Clurey, a 193 defender, And Mason Shaw, 197 cm forward, who have been on Ports list for three years and have played one game between them. They might think it was time for a change.

Sounds like players who should be playing a lower league and not players we should be chasing.
Why not?

Do you know anything about them except what BB has written?

Or it is because they havent played in a super-talented Port Adelaide side that you have decided to dismiss them outright?

If a player has spent 3 year at a club and played one game at the most I would suggest 95% of those players aren't up to it. Im prepared to say the club wont have a go at the 5% that may become fair players. Id rather look at guys who have at least had a few games. Just because Port are a good side doesn't mean you cant get a game.
So you know absolutely nothing about Clurey and Shaw and just assume because they cant break into a top 4 senior side as an 18 to 20 yo then they must be hacks?

However on the hand you would be prepared to consider a couple of players who have played two or three games for a bottom dweller like Carlton because they played a few games in the AFL

Pretty simple shallow minded recruiting philosophy

Well that's just made up. Expected. What is your opinion apart from potting me? Got many examples of players making it with that sought of record?
I can only go by what you wrote and what you wrote clearly gave the impression that you knew very little about the players BB suggested

You said and i quote you "would rather look at guys who have at least had a few games" - I can only assume that if a player (say a key defender) has played 3 games for Carlton you would rather look at him over a guy (a key defender like Clurey) that hasnt played any senior games for Port (the club in question)

Here's a suggestion maybe take the time to research the players and find out a little more about them before you dismiss them outright

Given your forthright manner and outspoken opinions I would have thought you would be a bit more open minded - surprised that you aren't!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
I can only go by what you wrote and what you wrote clearly gave the impression that you knew very little about the players BB suggested

You said and i quote you "would rather look at guys who have at least had a few games" - I can only assume that if a player (say a key defender) has played 3 games for Carlton you would rather look at him over a guy (a key defender like Clurey) that hasnt played any senior games for Port (the club in question)

Here's a suggestion maybe take the time to research the players and find out a little more about them before you dismiss them outright

Given your forthright manner and outspoken opinions I would have thought you would be a bit more open minded - surprised that you aren't!
Instead of just rejecting my opinion why don't you do some research and tell us all the players who played one game in 3 years that ended up good AFL players. I got Michael Tuck but that was VFL. Im sure there is more that's why I suggested 5% may make it. I hope our club work on percentages that about 95% don't make it.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
borderbarry wrote:A few interesting prospects on other teams lists..
Port Adelaide, Tom Clurey, a 193 defender, And Mason Shaw, 197 cm forward, who have been on Ports list for three years and have played one game between them. They might think it was time for a change.

Sounds like players who should be playing a lower league and not players we should be chasing.
Why not?

Do you know anything about them except what BB has written?

Or it is because they havent played in a super-talented Port Adelaide side that you have decided to dismiss them outright?

If a player has spent 3 year at a club and played one game at the most I would suggest 95% of those players aren't up to it. Im prepared to say the club wont have a go at the 5% that may become fair players. Id rather look at guys who have at least had a few games. Just because Port are a good side doesn't mean you cant get a game.
So you know absolutely nothing about Clurey and Shaw and just assume because they cant break into a top 4 senior side as an 18 to 20 yo then they must be hacks?

However on the hand you would be prepared to consider a couple of players who have played two or three games for a bottom dweller like Carlton because they played a few games in the AFL

Pretty simple shallow minded recruiting philosophy
Apparently Clurey was on our list for the draft. Was a slightly undersized KPD though so some on the forums weren't keen. I think you will find most good clubs have some guys struggling to break into the seniors after 3 years on the list. Especially KPs. I remember you said that about Ben Griffiths, Kobe Stevens and Ben Brown too. If you say all players are no good because they aren't playing senior AFL you will be right sometimes but I hope we would do more than write off anyone without looking at their form at the level they are playing at. Bruce goes okay.

Gringo I cannot believe you are lying like that to prove a point. I have never ever mentioned Griffiths or Brown. Never. Well once. Now. And im pretty sure Koby Stevens had played a few games when traded. These guys have one between them. And when did I say all players are no good because they aren't playing senior footy. Talk about emotive lies. What has Bruce got to do with this discussion. Really you either cant read, don't want to read or just talk crap because what you have just posted has nothing to do with the reality of this discussion. Anyway Im happy for all these examples of guys who have played one game in 3 years becoming good AFL players. I think our club is smart enough to work on percentages and not emotive posting that has many untruths in it. Even your first sentence is probably made up unless the saints produce lists of players we probably will take.

I could have been wrong...my memory isn't as solid as it once was but you have a history of saying no based on a vibe that if they haven't been played they are a spud. Anyway, I reckon Finnis might have just given Adealiade extra motivation with his interview suggesting it is very likely that they have approached Rory Sloan.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Instead of just rejecting my opinion why don't you do some research and tell us all the players who played one game in 3 years that ended up good AFL players. I got Michael Tuck but that was VFL. Im sure there is more that's why I suggested 5% may make it. I hope our club work on percentages that about 95% don't make it.
How about I go one step better and name players that have never played a game at AFL senior level but plied their trade in lower leagues for years before being drafted and becoming good solid players

Sam Fisher, Michael Barlow, The Pod, Ben Brown, Sam Dwyer, Tom Langdon, Aaron Vanderberg, Kane Mitchell, Dean Terlich, Brett Goodes, etc……..

Seriously cant believe I am having to educate you

If you are not a fan of mature age recruits then fine but to overlook players because they cant get a game in seriously good sides is just stupid

There is always a gem to be found in players playing in lower leagues but you have to open your eyes and mind to find them ...... not dismiss them outright

Every club would be doing them selves a disservice if they didnt look at every player option available
Last edited by Devilhead on Wed 13 May 2015 8:53pm, edited 2 times in total.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

A few interesting prospects on other teams lists..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

How about I go one step better and name players that have never played a game at AFL senior level but plied their trade in lower leagues for years before being drafted and becoming good solid players

Sam Fisher, Michael, Barlow, The Pod, Ben Brown, Sam Dwyer, Tom Langdon, Aaron Vanderberg, Kane Mitchell, Dean Terlich, Brett Goodes, etc……..

Sorry but that is a different topic. Obviously far to hard to find players on the topic that I was talking about. And if you are going to mention names on another topic then maybe explain what years is to you. Langdon was one year out of TAC. Not sure about Ben Brown either. Anyway got any names on our previous discussion?

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

One off the top of my head - almost 3 years in system before playing his second game - after switching clubs after 2 years for 1 game.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Harley

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

So close ... Jason Gram played 2 games in 2 years.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Gram

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Sam Fisher, Michael, Barlow, The Pod, Ben Brown, Sam Dwyer, Tom Langdon, Aaron Vanderberg, Kane Mitchell, Dean Terlich, Brett Goodes, etc……..

Sorry but that is a different topic. Obviously far to hard to find players on the topic that I was talking about. And if you are going to mention names on another topic then maybe explain what years is to you. Langdon was one year out of TAC. Not sure about Ben Brown either. Anyway got any names on our previous discussion?
Hahahahaha - different topic?? - you have to be joking!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

An AFL listed player playing in a lower league and a potential mature age recruit playing in a lower league - both are trying to prove themselves worthy of playing a senior AFL game - Going by your philosophy anyone playing an extended period of lower level footy should be dismissed - ie: if they havent made it by now then they probably never will - now that maybe well relatively true but there are quite a few exceptions to the rule who do go on to make it and it seems a very silly recruiting concept not to consider players plying their football skills in a lower league (AFL listed or not)

You asked me to name players that were 3 years in the system with one game of AFL under their belt and I upped the ante gave you examples of players with no years in the system and plenty more years in the lower leagues (albiet one with less than 3 years) that went on to become good solid AFL players

Surely you are not that silly to dismiss the potential of a player just because he is playing lower league footy .... especially those in a top 4 team??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Hahahahaha - different topic?? - you have to be joking!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

An AFL listed player playing in a lower league and a potential mature age recruit playing in a lower league - both are trying to prove themselves worthy of playing a senior AFL game - Going by your philosophy anyone playing an extended period of lower level footy should be dismissed - ie: if they havent made it by now then they probably never will - now that maybe well relatively true but there are quite a few exceptions to the rule who do go on to make it and it seems a very silly recruiting concept not to consider players plying their football skills in a lower league (AFL listed or not)

You asked me to name players that were 3 years in the system with one game of AFL under their belt and I upped the ante gave you examples of players with no years in the system and plenty more years in the lower leagues (albiet one with less than 3 years) that went on to become good solid AFL players

Surely you are not that silly to dismiss the potential of a player just because he is playing lower league footy .... especially those in a top 4 team??

You didn't up the ante at all. We are talking about players who are on an AFL list already and have either been delisted or traded after 3 years and have hardly played. Those others you mentioned weren't on a list so clubs didn't get to know their strengths and weaknesses. And im not dismissing them because they are in a lower league, im dismissing them because in 3 years at an AFL club they couldn't get a game. Your topic is completely different. If you want to discuss it then fine. Anyway you have a mod trying to help you. He has got Tom Harley at the moment but for everyone of him there is probably 20 that never get looked at again. I want our club to take punts on players but not when the odds are that low. Talk about getting off topic to prove some sort of point. Anyway do you want to try and trade for either of those players mentioned? Not a hard question so you should be able to answer it.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

BTW Clurey and Shaw were recruited in the 2012 draft so therefore have only been in the system for really only two years - 2013 & 2014

It would be silly to dismiss their potential especially due to them playing for a very strong team in Port

As suggested by some posters on here Clurey is well worth a look considering he is a Victorian lad (from Shepparton) - had a 15.1 beep test at the combine in his draft year as well and was likened to Sam Fisher in one draft report

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:BTW Clurey and Shaw were recruited in the 2012 draft so therefore have only been in the system for really only two years - 2013 & 2014

It would be silly to dismiss their potential especially due to them playing for a very strong team in Port

As suggested by some posters on here Clurey is well worth a look considering he is a Victorian lad (from Shepparton) - had a 15.1 beep test at the combine in his draft year as well and was likened to Sam Fisher in one draft report

Yes I looked up their player rankings on inside footy. It seems Clurey is now playing as a run with player so not really even playing back. The other guy looks a long way off it.

The Recruit
Club Player

Mat Finnes did nothing to dispel the Sloan rumor on SEN today, he pretty much suggested he would fit in at the saints he he was willing to come. David Schwartz also said the saints were heavily into Sloan, he may have read the same inside football article but I imagine he would be more 'in the know' than the average supporter.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: You didn't up the ante at all.
If you say so :roll:
plugger66 wrote: We are talking about players who are on an AFL list already and have either been delisted or traded after 3 years and have hardly played.
No we are are talking about two players that have not beeen delisted or traded and are in a very strong Port Adelaide squad and have untested potential at AFL level
plugger66 wrote: Those others you mentioned weren't on a list so clubs didn't get to know their strengths and weaknesses.

You would have to be stupid, dead or living on Uranus to think that AFL clubs these days don't have an idea of the strengths and weaknesses of players playing at lower levels - all clubs these days have full time recruitment staff who have very good contacts within secondary leagues around the country

So what is it - are you stupid, dead or are you Uranian?
plugger66 wrote:And im not dismissing them because they are in a lower league, im dismissing them because in 3 years at an AFL club they couldn't get a game.

So therefore you dont take into account injuries to the player or that those older more hardened players in the senior team who are filling a spot are not getting injured or suspended - you dont consider the general strength of a squad and you dont consider the players form in the lower league - if were bothered you could have checked Clurey's form and seen that he is currently playing great footy in the SANFL
plugger66 wrote: Your topic is completely different. If you want to discuss it then fine.

I have been discussing it but your opinion is different from mine on the matter
plugger66 wrote: Anyway you have a mod trying to help you. He has got Tom Harley at the moment but for everyone of him there is probably 20 that never get looked at again.

I think Gram was brought up as well, you brought up Tuck, - how about Justin Peckett who played for St Kilda U19's in 1990 (as an 18 year old), then no senior games in 1991, was delisted at the end of 1991 and then drafted again in 1992 pre-season draft and played one game in the seniors later that year and went on to play 252 games - so what thats 3 years in the system since he was 18 and he played one game and went to have a great career

Sure there are quite a few more over the years - even with the quality of the 4 mentioned - it shows that it would be stupid to overlook any player just because they havent played senior footy in their first few years in the system
plugger66 wrote: I want our club to take punts on players but not when the odds are that low.
But surely you take in all aspects of the said players situation before deciding to dismiss them which from your comments you didn't
plugger66 wrote:Talk about getting off topic to prove some sort of point.
Talk about blindly dismissing players because they havent broken into a top 4 team
plugger66 wrote: Anyway do you want to try and trade for either of those players mentioned? Not a hard question so you should be able to answer it.
Already mentioned a post above - I would seriously look at Clurey

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:BTW Clurey and Shaw were recruited in the 2012 draft so therefore have only been in the system for really only two years - 2013 & 2014

Yes I looked up their player rankings on inside footy. It seems Clurey is now playing as a run with player so not really even playing back. The other guy looks a long way off it.
Even more reason to look at Clurey as he can play back ( first game of the year was at full back) and on the ball - his endurance capacity looks to be outstanding

I'm sure other AFL teams will enquire as to his availability towards the end of the season

Agree about Shaw though he has had some injuries that may have curtailed his development

evo
Club Player

I am with plugger on this. I was happy we by passed them at the draft. There are must be better targets than these two, they have not exactly excelled at the safl level. In horse racing terms "prefer others"

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would suggest Port will hang onto Mason Shaw to replace Jay Schultz on retirement. I dont think these kids are hacks at all, just not in Ports immediate plans.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would suggest Port will hang onto Mason Shaw to replace Jay Schultz on retirement. I dont think these kids are hacks at all, just not in Ports immediate plans.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:I am with plugger on this. I was happy we by passed them at the draft. There are must be better targets than these two, they have not exactly excelled at the safl level. In horse racing terms "prefer others"
I think what is interesting to some is that he came at a time when Port were on the up and sits behind several others. There are guys at all clubs who don't get a run due to having a glut of similar types. GWS have several guys who aren't getting games who you would hope are being looked at too. I think all anyone expects is that we do our due diligence on them. There are other Josh Bruces out there. Plenty had hissy fits about Weller because he was a delisted player. There are bargains to be had if you look carefully.

stjay
Club Player

The Recruit wrote:Mat Finnes did nothing to dispel the Sloan rumor on SEN today, he pretty much suggested he would fit in at the saints he he was willing to come. David Schwartz also said the saints were heavily into Sloan, he may have read the same inside football article but I imagine he would be more 'in the know' than the average supporter.
I just heard his SEN interview. They are definitely having a crack at Rory Sloane.

1965 Saint
Club Player

Plugger you really are cracked. your statement that " our club is smart enough to ...............and not emotive posting" is beyond belief. As if the club would be influenced by the crap that's posted on here.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

1965 Saint wrote:Plugger you really are cracked. your statement that " our club is smart enough to ...............and not emotive posting" is beyond belief. As if the club would be influenced by the crap that's posted on here.

The club wouldn't read this crap even if they were paid to read it. Im unsure how we can post though without saying things like that. Can you tell me the point of just about any thread if we think your way? I wait for a response.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
evo wrote:I am with plugger on this. I was happy we by passed them at the draft. There are must be better targets than these two, they have not exactly excelled at the safl level. In horse racing terms "prefer others"
I think what is interesting to some is that he came at a time when Port were on the up and sits behind several others. There are guys at all clubs who don't get a run due to having a glut of similar types. GWS have several guys who aren't getting games who you would hope are being looked at too. I think all anyone expects is that we do our due diligence on them. There are other Josh Bruces out there. Plenty had hissy fits about Weller because he was a delisted player. There are bargains to be had if you look carefully.

I totally agree. Probably about 50 players like that in the AFL. We may get one at the most. Lets hope its one of the 5% that end up working.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

stjay wrote:
The Recruit wrote:Mat Finnes did nothing to dispel the Sloan rumor on SEN today, he pretty much suggested he would fit in at the saints he he was willing to come. David Schwartz also said the saints were heavily into Sloan, he may have read the same inside football article but I imagine he would be more 'in the know' than the average supporter.
I just heard his SEN interview. They are definitely having a crack at Rory Sloane.
Yeah if you read between the lines it seems talks are well underway.

Vazelos
Club Player

Problem is Dangerfield is strong to leave & they will throw a lot to Sloane to keep him.
I cant see both being allowed to go & I have heard Sloane has Pubs in Adelaide.
I would love to see him at the Saints, he supported us as a boy, lets see but the intent is there to nail a top liner in the mid field it seems.