Schneider's season

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Schneider's season

Idiotic post Junior. Far too rational and sensible

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:Going into Saturdays game Schneider was fifth in our team for contested possession, second in score assists, fifth in score involvements, fourth in clearances.

He was also seventh in disposal efficiency, and of our midfielders he was second only to McKenzie and was disposing of the ball 6.8% better than the league average for a midfielder.

On the weekend he was as follows, fourth for disposals, third for metres gained, nineteenth for disposal efficiency, equal fourth for contested football, third for uncontested football, equal third in marks, equal third for clearances, second in tackles, equal first in pressure acts., equal fourth in score assists and equal fourth in score involvements.

Looking at the stats there is nothing to suggest that he does not fully deserve his position in the team, his defensive side through tackles and pressure acts is there as well as winning contested ball. His ball use as a whole has been good and this is further demonstrated by score assists and involvements.

No he is not the future but Lonie and Sinclair have been getting games , so he is not holding any one back. I hear the argument re Minchington and I like him as a player but two young players of this type is enough we do not need three. Perhaps Minchington should be asking himself how two first year players got themselves ahead of him.

We all have opinions on players, I have been a Schneider fan but would not have rookied him but anyone who cannot see that he is playing well and deserves his place is ignoring the statistical facts of his season to date and quite clearly showing themselves up to be either clueless or just blatantly bias against him.

One last stat he is our fourth highest Average super coach points scorer on 95 behind only Armo, Steven and Joey and this measure all aspects of ones game.
Keep your facts & stats to yourself Junior, sure he might be top 5 at the club for disposals, contested poss, clearances & tackles, but bluthy watched him closely for a whole quarter one time and can tell you that he's just lazy, slow and pathetically soft.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Of course he is top 5 for disposals, he plays midfield.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Of course he is top 5 for disposals, he plays midfield.

Do we only have 5 mids? Lets face anyone wanting him dropped at the moment either doesn't understand footy or they are owed money by him. They are the only 2 options surely.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:Of course he is top 5 for disposals, he plays midfield.

Do we only have 5 mids? Lets face anyone wanting him dropped at the moment either doesn't understand footy or they are owed money by him. They are the only 2 options surely.
Option 3. Hate Schneids.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:Going into Saturdays game Schneider was fifth in our team for contested possession, second in score assists, fifth in score involvements, fourth in clearances.

He was also seventh in disposal efficiency, and of our midfielders he was second only to McKenzie and was disposing of the ball 6.8% better than the league average for a midfielder.

On the weekend he was as follows, fourth for disposals, third for metres gained, nineteenth for disposal efficiency, equal fourth for contested football, third for uncontested football, equal third in marks, equal third for clearances, second in tackles, equal first in pressure acts., equal fourth in score assists and equal fourth in score involvements.

Looking at the stats there is nothing to suggest that he does not fully deserve his position in the team, his defensive side through tackles and pressure acts is there as well as winning contested ball. His ball use as a whole has been good and this is further demonstrated by score assists and involvements.

No he is not the future but Lonie and Sinclair have been getting games , so he is not holding any one back. I hear the argument re Minchington and I like him as a player but two young players of this type is enough we do not need three. Perhaps Minchington should be asking himself how two first year players got themselves ahead of him.

We all have opinions on players, I have been a Schneider fan but would not have rookied him but anyone who cannot see that he is playing well and deserves his place is ignoring the statistical facts of his season to date and quite clearly showing themselves up to be either clueless or just blatantly bias against him.

One last stat he is our fourth highest Average super coach points scorer on 95 behind only Armo, Steven and Joey and this measure all aspects of ones game.
The only clueless person is you. You're one of this new breed who don't really watch games to understand the ebb and flow and subtleties of the game but just quote statistics as if they are the bible. They are nothing but a STARTING POINT to evaluate a players impact as a whole - which includes good and bad. The inability of people to see beyond the surface is quite hilarious. There are a lot of people who really don't understand football. An "efficient disposal" can be a meaningless sideway or back handball. It doesn't say much at all about what impact the player has. Jordan Lewis said this precisely on the radio the other day - he's prefer a player using the ball incisively from 15 possies than someone chalking up 30 meaningless one. There are good sides to Schneids, and there are bad sides. Its ok to bag Billings or Longer or Dunstan, young players learning their trade in a tough environment. But point out some flaws of Shcneids and that as a leader he should be more proactive turning the tide of games and the panic rises to the surface. The hive mind mentality of here is quite scary sometimes.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:

The only clueless person is you. You're one of this new breed who don't really watch games to understand the ebb and flow and subtleties of the game but just quote statistics as if they are the bible. They are nothing but a STARTING POINT to evaluate a players impact as a whole - which includes good and bad. The inability of people to see beyond the surface is quite hilarious. There are a lot of people who really don't understand football. An "efficient disposal" can be a meaningless sideway or back handball. It doesn't say much at all about what impact the player has. Jordan Lewis said this precisely on the radio the other day - he's prefer a player using the ball incisively from 15 possies than someone chalking up 30 meaningless one. There are good sides to Schneids, and there are bad sides. Its ok to bag Billings or Longer or Dunstan, young players learning their trade in a tough environment. But point out some flaws of Shcneids and that as a leader he should be more proactive turning the tide of games and the panic rises to the surface. The hive mind mentality of here is quite scary sometimes.

Whats even more scary is the more a person is proved wrong by stats and actual performance the more they try and defend that they were right in the first place. I don't get why an anonymous person cant admit wrong when everything points to it.

Junior
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:

Thank you for the explanation, not a new breed have watched and played enough footy to appreciate and understand stats but thanks for your yet again for your simply mind tingling and stimulating analysis.

Clearly the majority of the forum are new breed and you the master.

Let me explain it to you, I will try and keep it simple so as even you can keep up, Schneider stats clearly show that he is involved in a high level of score assists and score involvements. So he is not using meaningless side ways or back kicks, he is setting up scores which I am sorry if it is new way thinking but I thought the idea was to score more than your opponent. Some one like a Delaney might have a high disposal efficiency as he does kicks backwards and sideways Schneider is not doing this and I note you conveniently ignore other stats.

Look forward to your next master lesson no doubt at the conclusion of today's game.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
aaron82
Club Player

Junior wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Thank you for the explanation, not a new breed have watched and played enough footy to appreciate and understand stats but thanks for your yet again for your simply mind tingling and stimulating analysis.

Let me explain it to you, I will try and keep it simple so as even you can keep up, Schneider stats clearly show that he is involved in a high level of score assists and score involvements. So he is not using meaningless side ways or back kicks, he is setting up scores which I am sorry if it is new way thinking but I thought the idea was to score more than your opponent. Some one like a Delaney might have a high disposal efficiency as he does kicks backwards and sideways Schneider is not doing this and I note you conveniently ignore other stats.

Look forward to your next master lesson no doubt at the conclusion of today's game.

I have been a very big fan of Schneider's over the years he has been at the club. He has a superb football brain. I'm of the view his foot skills have dropped slightly due to the hamstring injuries he has had over the years and playing through the midfield now.
Junior has summed up Schneider's season so far perfectly with stats. At times I thought he may have been downhill skiing a little but on every statistical measure he has been fantastic. Clearly in our top 6 players so far. He is 31 years of age, the idea of pensioning him out of the side to play a Minchington, Saunders, Curren type is laughable.
Some of the VFL players need to perform on a more consistent basis and earn their spot in the side rather than be gifted games to find out if they are any good.
Tom Lee is a good case in point, he has been extremely solid down back but right now is being made to earn his position.

and that's the bottom line
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

You go around insulting people calling them "clueless" for presenting a well reasoned out opinion that you either will or will not agree with - then act all butt hurt when it gets thrown back that you. Don't take cheap shots if you don't like getting them back. But no, you trot out the boring, inane "I will keep it simple" blah blah. Just present your case without the juvenile "I know footy better than you" crap or you'll cop it back. The Schneider situation is an interesting debate - there is no black or white with this. And you do know a scoring chain can start with sideways/backwards handballs kicks don't you (or have them anywhere as long as the oppo don't touch it before a goal)? Stats have these sexy names which often belie what is actually happening.

I think Schneider's big down side is his poor manning up. If the Brisbane young blue ribbon midfield get off the hook today and tear us up in the middle, can we agree that Schneider must accept some responsibility? I'm not really even sure exactly why we are playing a guy who has always played as a small forward in a crucial midfielder role, especially one with poor accountability. If you want to get all conspiracy, perhaps its a subtle form of tanking whilst we suck the rest of his experience out of him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
Junior wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

You go around insulting people calling them "clueless" for presenting a well reasoned out opinion that you either will or will not agree with - then act all butt hurt when it gets thrown back that you. Don't take cheap shots if you don't like getting them back. But no, you trot out the boring, inane "I will keep it simple" blah blah. Just present your case without the juvenile "I know footy better than you" crap or you'll cop it back. The Schneider situation is an interesting debate - there is no black or white with this. And you do know a scoring chain can start with sideways/backwards handballs kicks don't you (or have them anywhere as long as the oppo don't touch it before a goal)? Stats have these sexy names which often belie what is actually happening.

I think Schneider's big down side is his poor manning up. If the Brisbane young blue ribbon midfield get off the hook today and tear us up in the middle, can we agree that Schneider must accept some responsibility? I'm not really even sure exactly why we are playing a guy who has always played as a small forward in a crucial midfielder role, especially one with poor accountability. If you want to get all conspiracy, perhaps its a subtle form of tanking whilst we suck the rest of his experience out of him.

Just words Bluthy with no actual proof. If Schneider doesn't man up can you tell us all his direct opponents who have killed us this season. Should be many names you can come up with. If you cant we can only go by what we see live or by using stats. The pies midfield killed us but Schneider wasn't on Swan or Pendlebury. I don't think he played on Priddas either.

And if the Brisbane midfield do get on top of us Schneider probably will have to take some responsibility. Unfortunately it comes across that you think he should take all the responsibility because you don't seem to mention to many other names to drop from the mids. And seriously what does that even mean about how a scoring chain starts. Who cares how it starts. It doesn't change where he is in the stat. You are allowed to say he is playing well. Being stubborn just looks like you don't fully get the game. I didn't even want to us to draft Schneider and still wish they hadn't but I can certainly see why he would be one of the first picked this season.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

aaron82 wrote:I have been a very big fan of Schneider's over the years he has been at the club. He has a superb football brain. I'm of the view his foot skills have dropped slightly due to the hamstring injuries he has had over the years and playing through the midfield now.
Junior has summed up Schneider's season so far perfectly with stats. At times I thought he may have been downhill skiing a little but on every statistical measure he has been fantastic. Clearly in our top 6 players so far. He is 31 years of age, the idea of pensioning him out of the side to play a Minchington, Saunders, Curren type is laughable.
Some of the VFL players need to perform on a more consistent basis and earn their spot in the side rather than be gifted games to find out if they are any good.
Tom Lee is a good case in point, he has been extremely solid down back but right now is being made to earn his position.
Do you know that Curren has been in the best in the VFL for the last four weeks? I think he kicked 3 goals , Saunders got 4, Minchington was in the best again. There is a economic cost to any decision you make - playing Schneider limits opportunities to other young players who would run harder and apply better pressure and get more valuable experience.

If Schneider is "clearly in our top 6 players", then there is no way he should go out of the team this year right? In fact he will certainly be elevated permanently from the rookie list in what is it round 11? YOu don't drop top 6 players. So lets see if he plays the whole season or not. That will prove you right or wrong.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
aaron82 wrote:I have been a very big fan of Schneider's over the years he has been at the club. He has a superb football brain. I'm of the view his foot skills have dropped slightly due to the hamstring injuries he has had over the years and playing through the midfield now.
Do you know that Curren has been in the best in the VFL for the last four weeks? I think he kicked 3 goals , Saunders got 4, Minchington was in the best again. There is a economic cost to any decision you make - playing Schneider limits opportunities to other young players who would run harder and apply better pressure and get more valuable experience.

If Schneider is "clearly in our top 6 players", then there is no way he should go out of the team this year right? In fact he will certainly be elevated permanently from the rookie list in what is it round 11? YOu don't drop top 6 players. So lets see if he plays the whole season or not. That will prove you right or wrong.

No it wont.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Adam has been proving he's critics wrong of late. I'm not a fan boy but he's been contributing very nicely. Today he did a lot good things at the right times.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Having a very good year

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
kalsaint
Club Player

Lots of people not sure of Schneider's value this year. I too have ducked for cover with some of Schneids misses at goal.

Others have criticised his tackling recently and even today claimed they couldn't remember when he last tackled!

2015 Stats to date in the following player order; Jack Steven, Schneider, Jack Lonie and David Armitage:

R1 GWS 2, 2, 2, 1
R2 GCS 10, DNP, 2, 2
R3 Coll 7, 7, 4, 9
R4 Carl 11, 9, 5, 7
R5 Ess 6, 2, 3, 8
R6 Bull 5, 1, 2, 5
R7 Adel 5, 3, 1*, 4 - off ground early
R8 WCE 12, 7, DNP, 4
R9 Bris 3, 1, 2, 5

Lonie was included as he was being claimed to be the next Milne but others preferred to compare him to Schneids.

Schneids is doing well with tackles.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

FWIW, i haven't seen us play since the Carlton game... Hence why i have gone quiet on the topic; my general position is that i don't have a vendetta against Adam but generally don't rate him.

The feedback on this forum and stats indicate an improvement

Tat being said they also said he had a good game vs Collingwood which i thought (against popular opinion) was a laugh.

I'm glad he's doing better apparently

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Has a rookie finished top 5 in a b&f before?

Honestly should be sacked after today. 22 possessions and 2 goals plus a few sublime knock ons to advantage.

Bluthy - did you see any positives or should the trigger be pulled immediately??

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Are we still going on about Schnieder?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Are we still going on about Schnieder?
Yes, he's our 20 possies a game Whipping Boy.

#HowIWantToBe

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Honestly should be sacked after today. 22 possessions and 2 goals plus a few sublime knock ons to advantage.

Bluthy - did you see any positives or should the trigger be pulled immediately??
He played a good game today, no doubt...My one knock on him today was his reluctance to play the percentages.
His good is very good but his bad is terrible. He tries too often to thread a handball through three opponents or a slick bullet like stab pass.
As a senior player with a young group we need them to play the percentages more often. That's what we did after quarter time. Schneider needs to do that more often.
As I said...my only knock on his game today.

aaron82
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:

I'd say there is every chance Schneider would be keeping himself in the side after round 11. There is some sort of rule that enables rookie list players to stay on the senior list from that time if you choose that. Saunders needs to stop having 7 kick 15 handball games before he will plays seniors. Minchington has all the tools but consistency. Curren tries his backside off, but right now is so far behind Schneider on ability and skill it's not even worth comparing. I think Schneider had 22 disposals and 2 goals today, very good game. If any of our younger players were capable of games like that we'd be stoked.

Acres, McKenzie, Billings, Sinclair and Lonie shows we are playing the young players that have earn't a position and then justified it by performance. We need those kids to surrounded by players who are seasoned and can stand up to the rigours of AFL footy. I thought Schneider was past his used by date with injury but so far he'd be pushing top 6 player

and that's the bottom line
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Honestly should be sacked after today. 22 possessions and 2 goals plus a few sublime knock ons to advantage.

Its churlish after such a great win, but after being pathetically baited here's the other side of this argument: Schneids again didn't show a peep when we got belted in the first quarter. We were lucky it was a young, overly cocky team who switched off after qtr time. After Armo, Steven and dunny lifted their intensity and start winning hard ball then suddenly schneids can start being given some ball. That's always been my issue with Schneider - hes a bit of receiver. They can be handy to have through the season (or against young opposition like today) but tend to get found out in big games where you have to win your own ball. One goal Schneids put through from 10m out and another he dropped a sitter of mark and was lucky to get a whack around the chops from a sloppy defender - although he slotted it nicely.

Its hard to argue for a change - you've got to stick with the team dynamic that pulls off a win like that. I do worry about our ability to win contested ball against Hawks - they will do a number on Armo and then who are we left with to win in and under - Dunny and Steven doing a bit is about it. I've always said that Schneids has his strengths and with his body better this year he isn't as bad as last year but he also has downsides that are conveniently swept under the carpet (especially after a win). Lets have a chat about him after the hawks game for balance.

Anyway I'm sick of talking about Schneids. I've only become obsessed with him by trying to defend that I'm not obsessed with him. I just don't think he's as good as everyone else tends to think.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:

Its churlish after such a great win, but after being pathetically baited here's the other side of this argument: Schneids again didn't show a peep when we got belted in the first quarter. We were lucky it was a young, overly cocky team who switched off after qtr time. After Armo, Steven and dunny lifted their intensity and start winning hard ball then suddenly schneids can start being given some ball. That's always been my issue with Schneider - hes a bit of receiver. They can be handy to have through the season (or against young opposition like today) but tend to get found out in big games where you have to win your own ball. One goal Schneids put through from 10m out and another he dropped a sitter of mark and was lucky to get a whack around the chops from a sloppy defender - although he slotted it nicely.

Its hard to argue for a change - you've got to stick with the team dynamic that pulls off a win like that. I do worry about our ability to win contested ball against Hawks - they will do a number on Armo and then who are we left with to win in and under - Dunny and Steven doing a bit is about it. I've always said that Schneids has his strengths and with his body better this year he isn't as bad as last year but he also has downsides that are conveniently swept under the carpet (especially after a win). Lets have a chat about him after the hawks game for balance.

Anyway I'm sick of talking about Schneids. I've only become obsessed with him by trying to defend that I'm not obsessed with him. I just don't think he's as good as everyone else tends to think.

You just showing more and more lack of footy knowledge and also the lack of the ability to say you were wrong. Is your last name Scott?