Our Coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Our Coach

How good is our coach?

Better than Waters? Better than Malthouse? Better than Jimmy Turd?

Does he compare to Paul Roos or Longmire, or the Scott thugs?

He definately gets my vote. He seems to have very realistic expectations, he appears to instill self belief in the players, and the guys play for him.

There are a couple of positive signs; the young guys are developing well under his guidance, and we've shown courage to recover after a poor starts.

Would we trade him or even consider swapping him for anybody else? Perhaps Clarkson? Anybody want Ross Lyon back?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our Coach

My issue is selection and structure.

He appears to pick who he wants, then tries to make it work.

Rather than have roles, then select players for said roles.

Rosco
Club Player

SainterK wrote:My issue is selection and structure.

But maybe his approach shows you who the best players are, so we can figure out the holes that need filling.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Great coach for a young developing team. That's all he can be judged on at the moment.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:My issue is selection and structure.

Ross Lyon certainly liked his role players, Robert Eddy, McWalter, Clint Jones....and he didnt have a role for Luke Ball.

I prefer the Richardson model, draft quality players, select the best quality players...then try to mould a winning team formula.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote: He appears to pick who he wants, then tries to make it work.
There's a good argument for having your best talent on the ground I guess. It may not be the worst thing if he fiddles with the structure a bit to achieve that. But it's a fine line.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Tell ya, if he did a Phil Walsh and said he thought about the spectacle more than the result, I'd crack it

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Probably the third best coach in the comp after Hirdy (players just want to play for him/brave men lead to battle by a man on a white horse) and Brad 'Why dont we get the respect we deserve?' Scott.

Ok ok only joking.

Richo seems like a very steady hand at the helm. No surprises. No weirdness. No BS

FQF
SS Life Member

Never seen him frazzled. Big tick.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

too early

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:[

I prefer the Richardson model, draft quality players, select the best quality players...then try to mould a winning team formula.
I always find it odd when people want to think that Lyon did not want quality players.

Lyon had the worst recruiting team in the AFL who had several years of incompetence before he even arrived. He made us a better team despite this.

He made the best of the situation and one thing that he clearly knows and understands is that to be a quality player that you have to be a quality TEAM player. That players have to be able and willing to do the 1%ers, to have a high workrate and to be able to follow team plans and structures.

Now he could have goone the rebuild straight away rooute, but that would have meant no Grand Final appearances.

Anyway back on your post:
Toy Saint wrote:[

The Pelchen model that we are still following has been all about recruiting a team based very much on a plan, a formula, fleshing it out and making it work. We are several years into and are now heavily in the player development phase. The next phase is meant to include attract elite ready made FA talent, but of course it remaims to be seen if this catually will occur.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
minneapolis
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:too early
Hi Firey,

I disagree. Too early to put him in the coaching Hall of Fame perhaps but not too early to have an opinion.

Steady. Knowledgeable. Truthful. Experienced. I would be comfortable using those adjectives.

The Saints are playing the coaches style, playing for him and each other, improving, and enjoying their footy. I would attribute that solely to Richo at this point.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
supersaints
Club Player

Wasn't the Pelchen model started in 2011? When he joined us can't see hoe we are "several years" into his plan when it's only just started the fourth year? Then again my calendar on my phone does

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
supersaints
Club Player

Wasn't the Pelchen model started in 2011? When he joined us can't see hoe we are "several years" into his plan when it's only just started the fourth year? Then again my calendar on my phone does Play up .. So does my touchscreen !!

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

He's doing a good job so far. I'm just concerned that Carlton could approach him with a big offer to try and break his contract with us. They need a full rebuild and could be interested in our bloke.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

He seems fine but its way to early to call him better than other coaches who have a great record. He suits us now. He may or may not in 2 years time.

Based on Richo already proving himself bevo must be the best coach the AFL has ever seen.

By the SP what are you on about? Fantasyland stuff.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote:
The Fireman wrote:too early
Hi Firey,

I disagree. Too early to put him in the coaching Hall of Fame perhaps but not too early to have an opinion.

Steady. Knowledgeable. Truthful. Experienced. I would be comfortable using those adjectives.

The Saints are playing the coaches style, playing for him and each other, improving, and enjoying their footy. I would attribute that solely to Richo at this point.
some good points there.

St Loxton
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:He's doing a good job so far. I'm just concerned that Carlton could approach him with a big offer to try and break his contract with us. They need a full rebuild and could be interested in our bloke.
No way in hell would he leave for Carlton.
Why would he leave us now?
Seems to me its not about the big $$$ with him.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

If you look at this season so far, we are well ahead of where everybody expected us to be and that has to be a direct result of our coach. By all accounts he is one of the best educators of young talent in the AFL and he is also developing a solid game plan. We are now much harder to play against and have more attacking flair when we get the ball.

Megamaguire
Club Player

A R

Some players flourishing under AR.
It's coming together !

Enjoying AR at the moment. :)

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Superboot
SS Life Member

Definitely the right man for the job given the stage we are in.

The next stage will be getting into the top half.

The stage after that requires at least a place in a preliminary final.

Remains to be seen whether AR will be the right man for stages after this one. Ross Lyon was the right man for the final stage, but would have been the wrong man to take us on at the current stage.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Results are the only thing that saves a coach's bacon at this level. Richo seems to be a good developer of players, and has a good level headed approach, but my jury is definitely out about his matchday coaching and I think he is still struggling a bit in his defensive strategies across the lines, but time will tell. If he doesn't get the win count up over the next couple of seasons, he will be moved on. Malthouse has multiple premierships, so he has been a hugely successful coach who should have steered clear of toxic Carlton. Watters never had a chance to prove himself after stepping in after the let down of the Lyon era, and clearly couldn't coach with knife in his back from a few sooks around the club.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I just hope Richo is given a decent time to show he's worth his salt. So far, I can't see any signs of him losing the confidence of his players, the club big wigs or the supporters. He seems to have us on the right track. So, thus far, he passes with flying colours. He'll be facing a big hurdle next year. I hope he can clear that hurdle and be the next coach to take us into the finals by around 2018.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Results are the only thing that saves a coach's bacon at this level. Richo seems to be a good developer of players, and has a good level headed approach, but my jury is definitely out about his matchday coaching and I think he is still struggling a bit in his defensive strategies across the lines, but time will tell. If he doesn't get the win count up over the next couple of seasons, he will be moved on. Malthouse has multiple premierships, so he has been a hugely successful coach who should have steered clear of toxic Carlton. Watters never had a chance to prove himself after stepping in after the let down of the Lyon era, and clearly couldn't coach with knife in his back from a few sooks around the club.

Spert just because you keep repeating untruths doesn't make them true. SW last year as coach was a debacle. That side had no right to win only 5 games. he lost nearly every player and the other coaching stuff. He made decisions that no one approved. he was a cancer on the club and would have comepletely stuffed us up for years. Richo is doing well at the moment but as you say wins eventually will decide his future. Compared the players SW had he is doing a great job.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote: Ross Lyon was the right man for the final stage,
How so?