Dasher Minchington

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Dasher Minchington

Was quite happy with his efforts on Sunday. Kicked a nice goal. Made a courageous smother in the last quarter. Showed plenty of run and backed himself.

Some good signs from the young lad.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dasher Minchington

Sainternist wrote:Was quite happy with his efforts on Sunday. Kicked a nice goal. Made a courageous smother in the last quarter. Showed plenty of run and backed himself.

Some good signs from the young lad.
He was in an awkward situation. Late call up. Running out of contract time. Probably felt the world on his shoulders and was very nervous. Not ideal for a 21yo.
Had two handballs and a shot on goal hed probably like to take again but overall his efforts were good for a first hit out. Something to build on. Tackled well and looked dangerous sometimes. Nice goal and a nice assist so had a hand in at least two goals. Would probably improve with a few in a row like most guys his age. Will he get the chance? Who knows. Id like to see them give him one more year to see if he can make it. Jury is still out. But rather give Minch games than Saad at this stage.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I think he looked OK but didn't get much of the footy and didn't make the most of his opportunities. Probably deserves a couple more weeks but with Billings and Schneids or Sinclair to come back I'm not sure if there will be a spot.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I thought he was reasonable, he seemed to work very hard but unfortunately didn't quite take his chances, would like to see him play a few more.

Unfortunately for Darren, both Sinclair and Lonie look comfortably ahead of him and they're younger.

Speaking of Saad - has been building some very good form too, kicked 3.3, 18 touches and 10 tackles on Saturday.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair and Lonie have him well covered.

Might be a good pick up for GC next year.

......or

He looks a lot like Joey. Joel was a late developer. Anyway, just clutching straws.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
FQF
SS Life Member

Field kicking is superb. Deserves a few more senior games at some point and will get them when injuries/form allows it.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Has attributes we need. Skill, pace, strength and goal sense. He has improved his defensive game massively, now he just needs to increase his production. I really hope he gets a few more games to show what he can do - if he's capable of racking up 18-20 disposals then he is absolutely a required player. He is still only 21 and has significant improvement left in him. At the moment he reminds me of Petrenko - damaging when he's involved but goes missing too much.

At any rate, he certainly has more upside than Saunders or Saad who have both been given far more opportunities.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

He's 21, considering he's barley played any games he looked good and showed a fair bit. think he's part of the future i hope club thinks so and keep him on for another year.

think with more time playing he will become a VG player.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Saint wagga
Club Player

certainly thought he was equal to or as good as Sinclair's output, didn't think we lost anything at all there...10 posi's, 7 tackles, a goal, a goal assist. I thought he showed plenty of promise if given a decent run...He looks like a guy who just needs to improve his match fitness at AFL level, not VFL if we are to learn weather or not he can grow into crafty forward falnk who can rotate thorugh the middle and get 15-20 posi's per game...Certainly think he should hold spot in a winning side. IF he gets dropped that'd be stiff!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:certainly thought he was equal to or as good as Sinclair's output, didn't think we lost anything at all there...10 posi's, 7 tackles, a goal, a goal assist. I thought he showed plenty of promise if given a decent run...He looks like a guy who just needs to improve his match fitness at AFL level, not VFL if we are to learn weather or not he can grow into crafty forward falnk who can rotate thorugh the middle and get 15-20 posi's per game...Certainly think he should hold spot in a winning side. IF he gets dropped that'd be stiff!
I don't know if it is a good or bad thing, but the previous coach was a big wrap for young Minch.

Saint wagga
Club Player

he was a big wrap on jimmy webster too, that is promising. I think he rated Rooey too ;-)

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Like the look of him, took the game on in the first quarter,was good to see.

At this rate we are going to have one hell of a mosquito fleet if all our smalls keep Improving

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

another good small

Saint wagga
Club Player

yep, loving the variety of goal kickers this year two and the way we finally seem to be rotating our young mids through the forward 50 arc in an attacking way. Sinclair, Lonie, Dunstan, Ross, Billings, Minchi...all spending time on ball at various stages, but also soending time in the forward 50 arc and learngin to kick goals!! I love it. Reminds me of the way a young Jack Steven was developed back under RL. Look how good he turned out. Goal kicking mids are gold!!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

It was a funny game with not much on offer for the small forwards. The ball came in long or seemed to get cut off a lot of the time. We tried to break their zoning by taking shots from long range which took Minch out somewhat. He looked good in patches.

avid
Club Player

Not queite enough of the football, but apart from that I thought he definitely earned his place.

2nd most "pressure acts" of any player on the field (after Lonie)
7 or 8 tackles.
Quite a few score assists.
Great smother,
Lovely goal,
etc etc

Hope he gets a chance to show his wares with a few games in a row.
(Has plenty of competition though)

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Lots of competition now for a Pocket spot. Only 21, with plenty of upside to come. I would like to see him get a run of games.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... hokp2.html
How long does it take to prepare a meatball fit for dinner?

At St Kilda the answer is about three and a half years.

42 months after being plucked from the Dandenong Stingrays deep into the rookie draft, and 22 months on from his AFL debut, Darren Minchington on Sunday played in his first winning side for the Saints.

Advertisement

In a team that laid 99 tackles, a handful of players in Alan Richardson's side still managed to stand out for conspicuous harassment of the opposition. One of these was Minchington.

Fleet of foot and stocky, Minchington, 21 - known around Seaford as "Meatball" - pounced on his Demon opponents more like he had been fired from an exhaust pipe than blown away by a sneeze from the top of spaghetti pile.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
FQF
SS Life Member

saintbrat wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... hokp2.html
How long does it take to prepare a meatball fit for dinner?

At St Kilda the answer is about three and a half years.

42 months after being plucked from the Dandenong Stingrays deep into the rookie draft, and 22 months on from his AFL debut, Darren Minchington on Sunday played in his first winning side for the Saints.

Advertisement

In a team that laid 99 tackles, a handful of players in Alan Richardson's side still managed to stand out for conspicuous harassment of the opposition. One of these was Minchington.

Fleet of foot and stocky, Minchington, 21 - known around Seaford as "Meatball" - pounced on his Demon opponents more like he had been fired from an exhaust pipe than blown away by a sneeze from the top of spaghetti pile.
Good on Cherny for giving Minchington some media attention. Nice piece.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Would be a waste letting him go....

Another team would surely benefit.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
stkfc1
Club Player

With Schnider and Sinclair back to rookie then Minch is a straight swap of position. Coach obviously likes the small forward types he's been happy to play Lonie, Sinclair,Schneider and Billings together when available, so Minch ( or Eli )come in for Schneider now.It will be interesting to see if we keep a similar setup. Billings obviously comes straight back in when available. I think Minch's main asset is he is of a build that can straight away mix it in the midfield and go forward. Hope he gets a chance to have a good run at it cause I reckon he'll be the "one who got away" if he seeks opportunity elsewhere.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Would be a waste letting him go....

Another team would surely benefit.
I was wondering the same thing. Id definitely like to keep him but we do have a lot of small fwds. Surely hed get a gig elsewhere?
Bombers, Blues and Tiges could all do with a small fwd.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

His defensive efforts were great. Problem is he is behind Sinclair and Schneider at the moment, one of them will be back on the list for the next game, billings could be back as well.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:His defensive efforts were great. Problem is he is behind Sinclair and Schneider at the moment, one of them will be back on the list for the next game, billings could be back as well.
I think he can play at AFL level.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:His defensive efforts were great. Problem is he is behind Sinclair and Schneider at the moment, one of them will be back on the list for the next game, billings could be back as well.
I think he can play at AFL level.
And looked better than Eli at this stage.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.