2012 draft looks a complete bust

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint wagga
Club Player

2012 draft looks a complete bust

White, Wright, Murdoch, Saunders, Pierce...

None of them can get near it and have all been leap frogged by younger players. Wright perhaps shows the most and is waiting in the wings for opportunity, most liklely through injury at this stage. wouldnt be surprised if only 1 out of 5 get to 50+ games.

Would love to be proven wrong, but all are in 3rd season and can't get a game, which doesn't bode that well...

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Re: 2012 draft looks a complete bust

Yep I reckon we blame Pelchen for that as the recruiters have been outstanding since he has left !

Murdoch still may surpriseife he can get his fitness and running to the required level. Wright and Saunders cant kick which is a killer, Pierce and White look gone!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Also -
Traded in
Hickey, Lee, TDL
Traded out, Let go
Cripps, Goddard

Dunnell upgraded

:(

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The last compromised draft from the new franchise teams. White and Wright more like mid 30's picks, Murdoch and Saunders 50's.

lewdogs
Club Player

Still think Wright could be handy. But yeah, the rest not so much.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bad draft in hindsight.

FQF
SS Life Member

Is Wright a naturally bad kick or is it because he is always running at turbo speed and hasn't yet figured out how to take those steadying steps before kicking?

If the former, he's probably done. If the latter, it's a question of experience and practice and he has every tool to be a good player.

stjay
Club Player

With no real evidence other than taking Lee (A West Australian) and the way he talked up some of these guys, I blame Watters for that draft.
Not one playing first team footy- Disgraceful.
Wright looks to be the only real hope to avoid a total disaster.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:With no real evidence other than taking Lee (A West Australian) and the way he talked up some of these guys, I blame Watters for that draft.
Not one playing first team footy- Disgraceful.
Wright looks to be the only real hope to avoid a total disaster.

Not a rap for Watters but I cant see how its his fault.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

It was a horrible, horrible draft.

Wright and White in the mid 20s might sound bad, but I can't see anyone who can after then who I would be in too much of a rush to trade them for.

Only missed opportunity I see is Grundy.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Wright will make it. Murdoch will make it.

Saunders is 50/50. Pierce is 50/50.

White looks like a miss.

Dylan Roberton was a good pick up that off season.

Funny to see people say we "let go" Goddard and Cripps.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:Wright will make it. Murdoch will make it.

White looks like a miss.

What is make it? Murdoch is lucky we have a few older players or he would be gone. Wright's kicking is a real issue. Pierce is the same as Murdoch. Saunders has the same kicking issues as Wright. Some of these guys have played in our thirds in their third season. That standard isn't much better than C grade ammos. And you are right about Cripps. he wanted out and BJ had to go with the money he was asking. No way of hiding that it was again another poor draft.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Wright looks finished to me. He's like a machine gun firing randomly. Just not up to the skill level required at AFL level. Shame as he's got a fair bit of desire.

Lee may still make it as a defender and Hickey perhaps as a ruckman but the rest aren't much chop.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Is Wright a naturally bad kick or is it because he is always running at turbo speed and hasn't yet figured out how to take those steadying steps before kicking?

If the former, he's probably done. If the latter, it's a question of experience and practice and he has every tool to be a good player.
Jack Steven is a good example.

His disposal is a lot better than it was.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Funny to see people say we "let go" Goddard and Cripps.
I'm guessing you are referring to me, what's funny about it?

I said we traded out Cripps and let Goddard go, whom if we'd really wanted could have kept, but we clearly were more interested in the compo pick which is looking like a pretty average move in hindsight.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Spencer White is a very poor pick when you see that James Stewart, Tom Clurey and Michael Close were taken shortly after him! No wonder Pelchen is not a club any longer....

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

White looks like a miss.

What is make it? Murdoch is lucky we have a few older players or he would be gone. Wright's kicking is a real issue. Pierce is the same as Murdoch. Saunders has the same kicking issues as Wright. Some of these guys have played in our thirds in their third season. That standard isn't much better than C grade ammos. And you are right about Cripps. he wanted out and BJ had to go with the money he was asking. No way of hiding that it was again another poor draft.
"Make it" means I think they'll become regular AFL footballers. Wright's toughness and effort are there, rarely gets beaten in a contest, just needs to develop his footskills further, I think he's capable of that.
Murdoch is a good size and looked very good late last year. An injury interrupted pre season has hurt him this year.
I don't think there's much to read into guys coming back from injury playing the development squad, especially given our clean bill of health. That just shows great competition for spots.

Saunders, Wright and Murdoch are all contracted until the end of next season and won't be going anywhere before then unless we got a trade offer too good to refuse.

2012 wasn't a standout draft for us, but before our trades we had pick 12, only 3 players who were taken after pick 11 have played regular AFL football, excluding Viney who was father-son. I reckon only the Bulldogs, Melbourne and maybe Port would look back at that draft as successful.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:
Beno88 wrote: Funny to see people say we "let go" Goddard and Cripps.
I'm guessing you are referring to me, what's funny about it?

I said we traded out Cripps and let Goddard go, whom if we'd really wanted could have kept, but we clearly were more interested in the compo pick which is looking like a pretty average move in hindsight.
Sorry, I read that as letting them both go.

In reality we had no chance of keeping Goddard. And even if that move looks pretty average for us, it looks a lot more average for BJ.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Spencer White is a very poor pick when you see that James Stewart, Tom Clurey and Michael Close were taken shortly after him! No wonder Pelchen is not a club any longer....
I love how we blame guys no longer at the club when we pick duds, but talk up elshaugh & bains when we pick a good player.

Have Stewart, Clurey & Close all made it? Clurey only has 4 games.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

White looks like a miss.

"Make it" means I think they'll become regular AFL footballers. Wright's toughness and effort are there, rarely gets beaten in a contest, just needs to develop his footskills further, I think he's capable of that.
Murdoch is a good size and looked very good late last year. An injury interrupted pre season has hurt him this year.
I don't think there's much to read into guys coming back from injury playing the development squad, especially given our clean bill of health. That just shows great competition for spots.

Saunders, Wright and Murdoch are all contracted until the end of next season and won't be going anywhere before then unless we got a trade offer too good to refuse.

2012 wasn't a standout draft for us, but before our trades we had pick 12, only 3 players who were taken after pick 11 have played regular AFL football, excluding Viney who was father-son. I reckon only the Bulldogs, Melbourne and maybe Port would look back at that draft as successful.
If they don't make it then it is still a bust for us. Maybe its also a bust for other sides as well. I think we have enough players to delist so those players will probably stay but the contract means nothing really. I wish I was as confident as you about the players but I think we have much better players already ahead of those guys.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

WinnersOnly wrote:Spencer White is a very poor pick when you see that James Stewart, Tom Clurey and Michael Close were taken shortly after him! No wonder Pelchen is not a club any longer....
Trout & his team picked those guys, not Pelchen.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I would hope Pelchen was never picking players. he wouldn't have seen enough games to be doing that. The trade for those picks may have had something to do with him though. I have always said multiple ordinary players for a good pick is fraught with danger.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
Trout & his team picked those guys, not Pelchen.
Correct Pelchen came after that and only left end of 2014- after or just before draft.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

White looks like a miss.

We are playing players in the thirds to meet commitments to Sandringham who also have to play their stars in the thirds. It was a compromised draft and Lee looks like a hit if he takes over from Fisher when he leaves as a CHB. Roberto will be along term player. Murdoch is struggling with injury and form and Saunders and Wrighty are having pretty ordinary years but while they are listed there is always hope.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

White looks like a miss.

We are playing players in the thirds to meet commitments to Sandringham who also have to play their stars in the thirds. It was a compromised draft and Lee looks like a hit if he takes over from Fisher when he leaves as a CHB. Roberto will be along term player. Murdoch is struggling with injury and form and Saunders and Wrighty are having pretty ordinary years but while they are listed there is always hope.

I know the reason but that is no excuse for a third year player. And Lee is a hit if he takes over from Fisher. At the moment he is a complete miss. As we type the draft is a bust. It will hopefully change. We need one to come through to be a better than average player.