Tim ticking boxes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Tim ticking boxes

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-07-0 ... king-boxes.

A decent article by Tom Morris but he should give the tattoos thing a break. He asked him that question when interviewing him and it was cringe worthy. I'm not a fan of tattoos but saying that Membrey looks older than 21 because he has a few tatts has run it's course. How about talking about the guys footballing and not his appearance. Also I believe the line he wrote "Membrey is an example of this, having been forced to fight his way back into the team after a string of strong performances for Sandringham" is not correct. I don't think he's played more than one consecutive game for Sandringham.

Anyway I hope Membrey starts hitting the scoreboard.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tim ticking boxes

Hickey in for Membrey. Membrey needed to hit the scoreboard last week and couldn't.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
FQF
SS Life Member

samuraisaint wrote:Hickey in for Membrey. Membrey needed to hit the scoreboard last week and couldn't.
:shock:

saintly
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Hickey in for Membrey. Membrey needed to hit the scoreboard last week and couldn't.
Everybody including the coaches said he did a good job, why drop him? he has only played 8 games of AFL senior footy.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Hickey apparently was very good for Sandringham, but Longer, rightly or wrongly, seems to have first ruck sewn up.

And there is a certain reluctance to play two ruckmen, particularly if one cannot rest forward

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Membrey is a clear starter for mine. He's not hitting the scoreboard yet but he brings great pressure and provides as good a target as Hickey at this stage.

I am hoping the sub rule goes next year which will open the door more for the two ruck option but at the moment Membrey brings more to the table.

He has only just turned 21, I think he is progressing quite nicely.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Membrey is a clear starter for mine. He's not hitting the scoreboard yet but he brings great pressure and provides as good a target as Hickey at this stage.

I am hoping the sub rule goes next year which will open the door more for the two ruck option but at the moment Membrey brings more to the table.

He has only just turned 21, I think he is progressing quite nicely.

A few people have said getting rid of the sub will make 2 ruckmen viable but I don't see it. Interchanges will probably get dropped to 80 so clubs will want 4 mids to be rested most of the time. I think the days of 2 ruckmen are over unless they can play as a KPP.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

A few people have said getting rid of the sub will make 2 ruckmen viable but I don't see it.
It's a case of wait and see how clubs best use it to their advantage.

Interchanges will probably get dropped to 80 so clubs will want 4 mids to be rested most of the time. I think the days of 2 ruckmen are over unless they can play as a KPP.
They need to both be able to pinch hit in another position. Longer cannot at this stage, so strangely that rules Hickey out

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
A few people have said getting rid of the sub will make 2 ruckmen viable but I don't see it.
It's a case of wait and see how clubs best use it to their advantage.

Interchanges will probably get dropped to 80 so clubs will want 4 mids to be rested most of the time. I think the days of 2 ruckmen are over unless they can play as a KPP.
They need to both be able to pinch hit in another position. Longer cannot at this stage, so strangely that rules Hickey out

Of course we have to wait but I still don't see how less interchanges helps a pure second ruckman like we had with King and Gardiner. I think the only way Hickey plays now is injuries to tall forwards or Longer.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I think the only way Hickey plays now is injuries to tall forwards or Longer.
Looks like it under current rules, which is a shame because I think he has terrific skills for a big bloke and could be a very good player down the track.

In a sense he's being penalised for Longer's lack of versatility. Which isn't to say I don't like what Longer brings to the team in terms of physicality and durability.

But let's see what a cut in interchange rotations does. I''d expect it to slow the game down a bit which may favour bigger blokes

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

I think the only way Hickey plays now is injuries to tall forwards or Longer.
Looks like it under current rules, which is a shame because I think he has terrific skills for a big bloke and could be a very good player down the track.

In a sense he's being penalised for Longer's lack of versatility. Which isn't to say I don't like what Longer brings to the team in terms of physicality and durability.

But let's see what a cut in interchange rotations does. I''d expect it to slow the game down a bit which may favour bigger blokes

Yep but it still doesn't mean one of the ruckmen spend at least 40% of the time on the bench which was happening only 5 years ago.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

saintly wrote:
Everybody including the coaches said he did a good job, why drop him? he has only played 8 games of AFL senior footy.

And he is only 21 so there's a lot to develop ver the next few seasons but he'll get there

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I would prefer to see McCartin play over Hickey playing forward

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I would prefer to see McCartin play over Hickey playing forward

spert
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:I would prefer to see McCartin play over Hickey playing forward
I want to see them both playing in the seniors at some stage.