Richo Contract extension- 2018 ( video and extended article

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

Re: Richo Contract extension- 2018 ( video 1st post)

Dr Spaceman wrote: Regardless, I am in the "happy to do" it group so I’m really happy we’ve gone and done it.
I'm confused, it sounds like you're actually in the "really happy to do it" group, unless you're just a very passionate member of the "happy to do it" group?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Excellent decision he's certainly a developer
Is he tactically astute match days ? We will find out but first we must learn to compete consistently and you need a developer for that
How many tatically astute coaches are there in the AFL and why are they tatically astute?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote: Regardless, I am in the "happy to do" it group so I’m really happy we’ve gone and done it.
I'm confused, it sounds like you're actually in the "really happy to do it" group, unless you're just a very passionate member of the "happy to do it" group?
Maybe I'm just part of a "happy to do" group that works in IT?

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Well done and well deserved by Richo. It sends a very positive message to all within the Club - both players, coaches and staff. Also, future high profile draftees and other potential coaching people.

It also takes future speculation off the table, which is good for stability. One can argue about whether it was "necessary now," but I think that the positivity of the move/message outweighs that, especially with the merry-go-round of coaches and coaching staff in recent years.

Saint wagga
Club Player

FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:It might not be urgent, but that doesn't make this the wrong decision.
  • - There are very few more destabilising things for footy clubs (leaving aside exceptional circumstances) than media speculation about the coach's contract
    - Richo has proven himself to have a connection and importantly real influence over the playing group from young and old alike
    - Richo has wholeheartedly embraced the club not just from a pure coaching football point of view but involving himself in extra media work for members, attending communal events, and more and this can't be underestimated
    - There is always the chance that clubs looking for coaches will come knocking with hard to reject contracts - a long term contract with us will probably prevent them from considering it at all
    - No doubt that coaches, like any other job in life, requires a fair degree of confidence, risk taking and security to get the most out of yourself. If Richo was feeling pressure next year to keep his job there is every possibility that he might turn to safer options rather than the risky, pro-development option
    - lastly, we need to reward performance and as far as I can tell, Richo is deserving of this reward.

I agree about media speculation and if the coach will get a new contract but being a bottom side with bugger all support I doubt there would be much media speculation at all unless it went until the end of next season. And whilst I agree with most of your points I still cant see the hurry. What happens if we go backwards by a fair way next season? I hope it doesn't happen and it probably wont but there is a risk of it happening. Will we be so confident then especially if we lose Roo and Joey the year after that.

I don't think Richo is not going to do his job 100% just because he didn't get an extended contract. Our contracts lengths for some players lately hasn't been that great.
It's interesting but if this long contract prevents the club from sacking another coach after a year of bad injuries + below expectation results than that's also a good thing. This essentially forces us to be patient and creates stability. 2018 and beyond is the time when we will start seriously competing in prelims and grand finals (ideally) and that is the time to reassess whether we need a new coach. Until then, I am happy to see us stick to our guns with a good solid coach even if results go down next year.
Good point FQF, if having a longer term contract/bigger payout might force the board to stick to it's guns despite shorter term setbacks and avoid a payout then thats could be a positive, obviously i'm not wishing any of those negative scenarios.

stjay
Club Player

Smart move here by the club and well deserved by Richo.
Next year likely to be similar in terms of performance as this year and could be hard to judge the coaching performance.
If we waited until next year, contract negotiations would have centred on giving him another 3 years to the end of 2019.
Under this new contract there will be 2 years to go and we will be better positioned to manage the risk of a payout from an early coaching exit.
Always new coaching roles become available each year and Richo has built himself a growing reputation.
Well done Saints #stability

Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

Congratulations Richo! I love the way he says "our club".

saynta
Saintsational Legend

RW&B wrote:We have a ripper in Richo.

plus one

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
Is he tactically astute match days ? We will find out but first we must learn to compete consistently and you need a developer for that
How many tatically astute coaches are there in the AFL and why are they tatically astute?
I think Ross Lyon and Al Clarkson stand out
Why they tactically astute?
I can guess if you like??
I think they both have good apprenticeships and are excellent students of the game, Lyon I know from one of his ex assistants is meticulous a workaholic and extremely demanding on this around him. I suspect Clarkson is a similar, competitive beast
I am yet to see Lyon develop anything though..... that's the question mark for mine on him as a great coach
Just my views ofcourse
Last edited by Teflon on Fri 24 Jul 2015 9:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Yeah….nah””
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Peter Welcome Alan on board for the next 3
http://www.saints.com.au/video/2015-07- ... ce-24-july

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
I think they both have good apprenticeships and are excellent students of the game, Lyon I know from one of his ex assistants is meticulous a workaholic and extremely demanding on this around him. I suspect Clarkson is a similar, competitive beast
I am yet to see Lyon develop anything though..... that's the question mark for mine on him as a great coach
Just my views ofcourse
I think he means what makes you say that they are tactically astute as opposed to winning games because they have better lists

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Stability also doesn't hurt future sponsors getting on board.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

tony74 wrote:Stability also doesn't hurt future sponsors getting on board.
#norabbletoseehere

personally, I'm thrilled. Good on you Richo!

Always loyal
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

richo on morning radio

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:It might not be urgent, but that doesn't make this the wrong decision.
  • - There are very few more destabilising things for footy clubs (leaving aside exceptional circumstances) than media speculation about the coach's contract
    - Richo has proven himself to have a connection and importantly real influence over the playing group from young and old alike
    - Richo has wholeheartedly embraced the club not just from a pure coaching football point of view but involving himself in extra media work for members, attending communal events, and more and this can't be underestimated
    - There is always the chance that clubs looking for coaches will come knocking with hard to reject contracts - a long term contract with us will probably prevent them from considering it at all
    - No doubt that coaches, like any other job in life, requires a fair degree of confidence, risk taking and security to get the most out of yourself. If Richo was feeling pressure next year to keep his job there is every possibility that he might turn to safer options rather than the risky, pro-development option
    - lastly, we need to reward performance and as far as I can tell, Richo is deserving of this reward.

I agree about media speculation and if the coach will get a new contract but being a bottom side with bugger all support I doubt there would be much media speculation at all unless it went until the end of next season. And whilst I agree with most of your points I still cant see the hurry. What happens if we go backwards by a fair way next season? I hope it doesn't happen and it probably wont but there is a risk of it happening. Will we be so confident then especially if we lose Roo and Joey the year after that.

I don't think Richo is not going to do his job 100% just because he didn't get an extended contract. Our contracts lengths for some players lately hasn't been that great.
Must admit first impression I was surprised.
Can't say I'm disappointed though, although i liked Watters and didn't like Lyon to start with so what would I know….

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Teflon wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
Just my views ofcourse
I think he means what makes you say that they are tactically astute as opposed to winning games because they have better lists
Yes you're right. A winning coach is an astute coach. One wouldn't call Lyon an astute coach considering he hardly played Ball in the 2nd half of the 2009 GF. Maybe if he did the result may have been different. Great teams have players that can fill many holes.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Yes you're right. A winning coach is an astute coach. One wouldn't call Lyon an astute coach considering he hardly played Ball in the 2nd half of the 2009 GF. Maybe if he did the result may have been different. Great teams have players that can fill many holes.

I think all unbiased people would say that comment is plainly wrong but im sure a few on here would agree. RL would be one of the most astute coaches in the AFL. RL may have made a mistake than. Every AFL coach makes mistakes even in GF.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

It's a good move. Carlton would love to get their hands on Richo right now. We've just told them to politely f*** off.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:It's a good move. Carlton would love to get their hands on Richo right now. We've just told them to politely f*** off.

He was contracted anyway. Hasn't made a difference to Carlton.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
magnifisaint wrote: Yes you're right. A winning coach is an astute coach. One wouldn't call Lyon an astute coach considering he hardly played Ball in the 2nd half of the 2009 GF. Maybe if he did the result may have been different. Great teams have players that can fill many holes.

I think all unbiased people would say that comment is plainly wrong but im sure a few on here would agree. RL would be one of the most astute coaches in the AFL. RL may have made a mistake than. Every AFL coach makes mistakes even in GF.
I don't agree. I think his coaching has a few limitations. It appears his way or the highway approach may be his biggest hindrance, but I agree he's a good coach. If he wins a GF I'm sure ppl will say he's a great coach

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I don't agree. I think his coaching has a few limitations. It appears his way or the highway approach may be his biggest hindrance, but I agree he's a good coach. If he wins a GF I'm sure ppl will say he's a great coach
Look it feels weird but Pluggs is right.
Lyon is definitely an astute coach who made a mistake. It happens.
Any coach that wins 19 straight and takes defensive football to a new level (influencing others also) and then implements that at an interstate club that has ALWAYS been brittle on the road.....the guy is a good coach.
Great coach? not yet for mine.....my view is great coaches can build a side AND are match day smart and have flags.
Lyon ticks 1 of those boxes for me right now.
I must say it would have been intriguing to see how he would've handled a St Kilda re build but I suspect him and Pelican just couldn't work.

“Yeah….nah””
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 7456614677

"Alan Richardson is a no bullsh*t coach for St Kilda"
Renowned teaching coach Richardson isn’t here to set up this club for someone else to swoop in.

He is here to join Allan Jeans on the club’s honour board as a premiership coach.

“We are all going to get the flick. When that happens I won’t be comfortable with it,’’ says Richardson.

“But my want and wish and dream is that when it happens we will have done what we set out to achieve.

“I am here to win it. I am really confident in the plan. And there is still a bit of work to do.

“This contract is more about your ability to finish it, to get the job done.

“From a contract point of view you want to be able to finish your work, you want to be able to see it through.

“Matt (Finnis) came in and spoke to the leaders today (about the contract) and I felt awkward and the boys were incredibly positive

“But I said to them afterwards, that’s done, you beauty. Now let’s go.”

Nearly two years into his new role, St Kilda figures rave about his influence over the entire group.

They use words like honesty and integrity and a born communicator.

But he one mannerism that stands out during 90 minutes with the head coach this week is this: no bulls***.

It is a characteristic so common through football clubs — of backstabbers and agenda pushers and social climbers, but at St Kilda the entire club is refreshingly free of it.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY