Going Early on the young power forwards

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vazelos
Club Player

Going Early on the young power forwards

An interesting exercise is to rate now in 2015 the power forwards that will compete for the next 7 to 10 years in the AFL. Much like the comparison of Judd, Ball and Hodge and how that has changed from the start to the finish line with Hodge starting off a clear 3rd and now possibly finishing off as the best out if the 3 in terms of career contribution to his club. We know that few touches Judd in his first half of his career in terms of football ability.
So we have:
Tom Boyd
Paddy Mc Cartin
Darcy Moore
Jeremy Cameron
Jesse Hogan
Patton ( 1st name escapes me)
Anyone else?
Hogan has been the rage early with huge hype but some insiders have question marks on his consistency.
Moore has just kicked a bag for Collingwood on the week end.
Boyd has been dropped to the seconds.
Mc Cartin just took 9 marks in the wet.
Cameron is an established KPP..Patton has been unlucky with injury.
Who will be numerous uno at the end of it all.
A fascinating topic star forwards are and this crop will be no different.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Going Early on the young power forwards

Well Cameron is that far ahead it would be a real guess to think one of the others will be better. I would think Hogan looks the best of the rest at the moment but they are all at different stages of their development.

Vazelos
Club Player

Yes Hogan is the bet to be very special yet Darcy Moore comes out and kicks 5 goals against the Dogs. Some have that make up to just come and go bang with a break out game whilst others rise like building blocks slowly. Boyd is in a short term dip of form and really hasn't done much this year to crow about. I am really looking forward to seeing our boy Paddy with another full pre season behind him. He has footy smarts, strong hands and a nice kick . When the body starts improving the upside looks exciting.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote:An interesting exercise is to rate now in 2015 the power forwards that will compete for the next 7 to 10 years in the AFL. Much like the comparison of Judd, Ball and Hodge and how that has changed from the start to the finish line with Hodge starting off a clear 3rd and now possibly finishing off as the best out if the 3 in terms of career contribution to his club. We know that few touches Judd in his first half of his career in terms of football ability.
So we have:
Tom Boyd
Paddy Mc Cartin
Darcy Moore
Jeremy Cameron
Jesse Hogan
Anyone else?
Hogan has been the rage early with huge hype but some insiders have question marks on his consistency.
Cam McCarthy

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Joe Daniher and 2 Meter Peter Wright, Johnno Freeman.

SMS
Club Player

McCartins game on Sunday was good. Very good. Showed so much.
Huge sigh of relief.

Right now all those forwards showing great potential except boyd who is on the most money.
#ouchforndoggies

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote:An interesting exercise is to rate now in 2015 the power forwards that will compete for the next 7 to 10 years in the AFL. Much like the comparison of Judd, Ball and Hodge and how that has changed from the start to the finish line with Hodge starting off a clear 3rd and now possibly finishing off as the best out if the 3 in terms of career contribution to his club. We know that few touches Judd in his first half of his career in terms of football ability.
So we have:
Tom Boyd
Paddy Mc Cartin
Darcy Moore
Jeremy Cameron
Jesse Hogan
Anyone else?
Jonathan. Should shorten it to Jon.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

You forgot Josh Bruce. Of the young power forwards you mentioned only Cameron, also aged 22, is ahead of him in the Coleman - by three goals.

Really liked Paddy's game Sunday but let's not forget Bruuuuuce
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 29 Jul 2015 12:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

McCarthy.

I think it'd be easier if you were to classify them under:

1) Who do you think will kick the most goals in their career

2) Who will have the most influence on their team winning a game.

While one could say Hogan could kick the most goals, another forward may player further up the ground, have greater influence, but not kick as many goals.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

What season are they all in?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Saint wagga
Club Player

Yep,
i'd though Josh Bruce into this group. Although he'd be the oldest, this is first season as a full time KPF. He and Cameron would be to two for me. I reckon Bruce could be the most electric park marker...he can get very high! Whats impressed me most about Bruce has been, even though his opportunitys have diminshed due to forward setup and getting closer defensive attention, his kicking for goal has been really solid and he loves an opportunistic goal as well! So instead of kicking 0.2 with limited shots, he's converted nearly all his chances whcih creates scorebaord impact even with limited opportunies...super exciting propect for us!!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

if I was selecting a full forward based on Sundays game. I would be putting Paddy in front of Jesse. When the ball it the ground Paddy was competitive whereas Jesse was an onlooker.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

It will be interesting to look back on this in ten years time.

All of these guys have such a huge opportunity ahead of them. I think back to Roo and Kosi starting out, that was 15 years ago now!! Think about all of the forks in their journeys, the "sliding doors" moments, and how it impacted the players they became.

It's hard to go past Cameron of the current crop, for no other reason than he has the most runs on the board out of them. What happens in the next week, year, decade, who knows?? Gonna be exciting to watch, especially as Saint supporters, seeing we have a couple of really good horses in the race.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Bruce for mine :)

Nah in all seriousness Cameron is that far ahead at the moment it is hard to compare although you have to ask yourself whether he is truly a power forward?

Anyways i think they all have shown a bit of promise other than boyd - he would be the one as a fan you would be most worried about

#1 Ryder fan
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Boyd v Paddy. Id definitely prefer Paddy.

They are kind of the opposite in that Boyd has the adonis build but they need to teach him how to play footy (a bit like Rhys?).
Paddy already knows how to play footy and needs to work on his build.

Much easier to work on a guy's fitness than teach him to play footy imo.

FQF
SS Life Member

The test for Bruce will be next season. It is a lot easier to be a surprise forward and snag a few bags of goals when the opposition isn't giving you much respect. However, in recent games and increasingly so in the future, Bruce will get the treatment of a legitimate threatening key forward. This means much more attention (and respect) from the opposition and better intel and preparation about his weaknesses and how to beat him. I don't think it's a coincidence that his output has diminished in the second half of the year.

I'm not making any claims about his ability, but Bruce will need to take the next step now. To get better at what he does well, to iron out weaknesses and to continually improve. There's a gulf of a difference between a good forward like Jarrad Waite and a great forward.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

FQF wrote:The test for Bruce will be next season. It is a lot easier to be a surprise forward and snag a few bags of goals when the opposition isn't giving you much respect. However, in recent games and increasingly so in the future, Bruce will get the treatment of a legitimate threatening key forward. This means much more attention (and respect) from the opposition and better intel and preparation about his weaknesses and how to beat him. I don't think it's a coincidence that his output has diminished in the second half of the year.

I'm not making any claims about his ability, but Bruce will need to take the next step now. To get better at what he does well, to iron out weaknesses and to continually improve. There's a gulf of a difference between a good forward like Jarrad Waite and a great forward.
Agreed - putting two and two together, is the (apparently) increased blocking and holding that seems to have gone unchecked by the umpires in our forward line in recent times in any way related to the (decreased) output by Josh Bruce? They seem inversely proportional to me.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:The test for Bruce will be next season. It is a lot easier to be a surprise forward and snag a few bags of goals when the opposition isn't giving you much respect. However, in recent games and increasingly so in the future, Bruce will get the treatment of a legitimate threatening key forward. This means much more attention (and respect) from the opposition and better intel and preparation about his weaknesses and how to beat him. I don't think it's a coincidence that his output has diminished in the second half of the year.

The games he's impressed me most in have been in Riewoldt's absence in which he's been the main target and drawn the best defender. I think he will thrive on more responsibility as the reliance on Riewoldt becomes less.

It's not easy for saplings in the shadow of a mighty oak.

S.A Saint
Club Player

I agree with the all the above about getting more attention from opposition coaches/defenders.

I also think that he is struggling physically because this is his first proper season of playing afl footy.

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

It seems all of a sudden the league will have a number of highly touted young forwards to discuss. Lets hope Paddy is one of the best? I hate to admit it but it looks like Darcy Moore will make a big impact aswell....

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
So we have:
Tom Boyd
Paddy Mc Cartin
Darcy Moore
Jeremy Cameron
Jesse Hogan
Anyone else?
Jonathan. Should shorten it to Jon.
His family and friends call him Jonny. His sister jokingly calls him the General so he must have copped a bit of that during his juniors.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:What season are they all in?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
gringo
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:It seems all of a sudden the league will have a number of highly touted young forwards to discuss. Lets hope Paddy is one of the best? I hate to admit it but it looks like Darcy Moore will make a big impact aswell....
It's no huge surprise, he was touted by some as a top 3 draft pick. Collingwood got the last of the bargain FS picks with him.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Despite Moore booting 5 I don't particularly rate him as a longterm key forward and didn't throughout his junior career. He's athletically gifted but has always struggled to get much of the ball. Longterm I see his best footy being in the back half as a dour defender. Like Boyd earlier this year booting 4, Moore was lucky kicking 5 IMO.