Where do you see our improvement in 2016?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Where do you see our improvement in 2016?

In July I posted that I believed we would finish in the botton four last season as I believed Essendon and Melbourne would both overtake us and win more games, along with catching our percentage. I was wrong. But if there is such a thing, I was half right; Melbourne overtook us, and Essendon were one stray kick right at the death against the Suns in Queensland away from overtaking us on the ladder. Our percentage after the win against Essendon was in the 90s, by the seasons end it was 78. We won one game out of our final ten matches and that was against our current bunny, Melbourne. We suffered several thrashings, and played very well but kicked ourselves out of a winnable and entertaining game against Geelong.
Let's be honest; our last two games were incredibly disappointing - Sydney never beat anyone by 100 points and to beat us at home like that tells me that we are a long way behind. The humiliation against West Coast was a predictable result - one which a lot of people told me would never happen, but it did.
I was wrong again at the beginning of 2015 when I thought we would only win 2 games, so I hope I am wrong again when I post that I think we will struggle to post more than 6 wins again in 2016. I base this on our current reliance on our players over 29, the plethora of second year players in the side who traditionally struggle to see out seasons, and the gambles on Freeman and Carlisle, both of whom could be very good for us, but for very different reasons may not have the massive impact we hope they can. They certainly have the talent. Obviously the draft hasn't taken place yet and we will most likely end up with Bailey Rice, plus a top youngster with our pick #14, so I am hopeful for the mid-term future, however, it is next season I am interested in, and I would like to hear others' opinions, and as I said I was wrong twice about 2015 so it would be good to hear from posters who have a better track record than I.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Where do you see our improvement in 2016?

6 wins last year was massively above my expectation.

Although most would want improvement on that - I think about the same would be par for 2016. Lot of the team still developing. Growing stronger into 2017 and a strong finals contender in 2018.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I thought Richo's first season was terrible, and fully expected drastic improvements and a desire to win this season, and six wins didn't surprise me. For 2016 I expect further improvements in some of the young promising players as they get stronger, so I am looking at a general team improvement which should result in a few more wins and get us closer to the final eight. I really do want to see an emphasis on the midfield getting more of the ball though- just didn't get enough of the pill this season.

longtimesaint
Club Player

spert wrote:I thought Richo's first season was terrible, and fully expected drastic improvements and a desire to win this season, and six wins didn't surprise me. For 2016 I expect further improvements in some of the young promising players as they get stronger, so I am looking at a general team improvement which should result in a few more wins and get us closer to the final eight. I really do want to see an emphasis on the midfield getting more of the ball though- just didn't get enough of the pill this season.
You would expect continued improvement from McCartin. Goddard, Acres and McKenzie.
I think there will be real competition for places in the team and that should help.
We also need the veterans to still perform and if they do then 8 or 9 wins are possible.

One year will be our year
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

OK just focusing on the elements that may improve:

* I think we should get improvement from players like Dunstan, Billings, McCartin, Acres, McKenzie, Carlisle, maybe Freeman although big unknown, Webster, Hickey, Longer, Ross, Newnes.
* We 're starting to get more guys past that 50 game mark so should be able to run out the season better than we did this year and have more muscle and endurance out there.
* Competition for spots will create a real feverish approach from players desperate to break in that will mean all players need to push to develop and learn and play their guts out every game
* Hopefully the end of last year will be a reality check that they can't get ahead of themselves - applying that stifling pressure throughout the whole year
* IF (and its a big if) our clearance games beefs up with the likes of Ross, Freeman, Acres, Billings, McKenzie to go along with Dunstan and Armo winning contested footy, then we will have first use of the footy a lot more instead of chasing down a lot like we did last year which is tiring
* Richo has had two seasons as a coach where he has mostly had to focus on the basics for the youngsters and to stop us getting demoralising smashings. He may now be able to introduce some more complexity with tactics and game plan.
* Last year will have created some real belief in the team that they can match it with anyone when they apply themselves. If they can get things going early, it's amazing what confidence can do.
* Port and Dogs have shown teams can really take off these days even when they don't necessarily have a lot of experience. Talent, belief and positivity go a long way in modern footy. We get those three happening - who knows what the limit is

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I see improvement in Webster, Savage, Newnes, Dunstan, Roberton and Weller.

We've seen what Billings is capable of and we know we have quality with this kid. Can't wait to cheer Jack's back!!

Membrey I reckon has upside but he's got to be given time in the seniors. Looking forward to Membrey, Bruce and Billings playing more games and working well tegether. I think Membrey is more valuable to the team for his speed right now than McCartin.

Minchington, Sinclair, Lonie, Goddard and DMac could all surprise and be consistent performers. Although history tells you that it's harder in your second year, I'm backing the two young Jacks to be strong performers again.

I see further upside in Hickey and he can be a matchwinner if he stays fit all year. With fewer rotations it'll make sense to have him sitting in the forward line and he's proven he can kick multiple goals.

Carlisle and other new recruits will naturally improve us and I think we should win between 6-10 games.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Clearances/Stoppages are our biggest weakness. We need some serious improvement from Ross, Sinclair, Dunstan and Acres in this area in 2016 if we are to have any chance of improvement.

The next area is goal kicking accuracy - I think we were 18th in this last year. I am not sure what we can do about this one? Maybe practice more or maybe it is mental? I am not sure. But poor kicking for goal hurts us week in week out. It is also a real morale crusher. We work very hard to get shots on goal and then we kick points. Needs to improve.

The other thing that worries me is that teams around us on the ladder in 2015 - Melbourne, GWS, Collingwood, Port all look set to improve.
The Suns and Brisbane are very young so might not improve much in 2016. Carlton also look fairly poor. Essendon I feel are starting from scratch and might take another couple of years to improve. Staying out of the bottom 4 again looks very achievable but breaking out of the bottom 6 looks very challenging. Extremely challenging really.

6-8 wins I think would be a good result for 2016. Keep that % above 80.

2017 though no excuses. Must win 11-13 games and be in the mix for the bottom of the 8.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I thought Richo's first season was terrible, and fully expected drastic improvements and a desire to win this season, and six wins didn't surprise me. For 2016 I expect further improvements in some of the young promising players as they get stronger, so I am looking at a general team improvement which should result in a few more wins and get us closer to the final eight. I really do want to see an emphasis on the midfield getting more of the ball though- just didn't get enough of the pill this season.
Watters would have been better

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:I see improvement in Webster, Savage, Newnes, Dunstan, Roberton and Weller.

We've seen what Billings is capable of and we know we have quality with this kid. Can't wait to cheer Jack's back!!

Membrey I reckon has upside but he's got to be given time in the seniors. Looking forward to Membrey, Bruce and Billings playing more games and working well tegether. I think Membrey is more valuable to the team for his speed right now than McCartin.

Minchington, Sinclair, Lonie, Goddard and DMac could all surprise and be consistent performers. Although history tells you that it's harder in your second year, I'm backing the two young Jacks to be strong performers again.

I see further upside in Hickey and he can be a matchwinner if he stays fit all year. With fewer rotations it'll make sense to have him sitting in the forward line and he's proven he can kick multiple goals.

Carlisle and other new recruits will naturally improve us and I think we should win between 6-10 games.
Cheer away!! :wink: :lol:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Considering it was Watters' mess that he inherited, he did not do too badly.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Considering it was Watters' mess that he inherited, he did not do too badly.
I don't shy away from that.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Hold on...I thought Watters inherited Lyon's mess...

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:6 wins last year was massively above my expectation.

Although most would want improvement on that - I think about the same would be par for 2016. Lot of the team still developing. Growing stronger into 2017 and a strong finals contender in 2018.
I thought we would win 7 matches. In the end 6 1/2 was a good outcome. Next year I'm predicting 10 wins.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I am somewhat bullish. 10-12 wins for mine.

And actually be pushing for 8th.....

Should piss some other clubs off too.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Hold on...I thought Watters inherited Lyon's mess...

Your sig took me out of context

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
degruch wrote:Hold on...I thought Watters inherited Lyon's mess...

Your sig took me out of context
I pissed myself laughing for about 20 minutes when I first read that quote, so context or not I'm holding onto it from now to eternity...after all, what is written, etc, etc. :mrgreen:

older saint
SS Life Member

I can see us getting 8-9 wins next season.
More players getting past that 50 games mark and developing bodies into AFL players both with strength and endurance.
the gradual development of Goddard, McCartin, Sinclair, Lonie, Mckenzie all in 2nd year, Freeman in this group too.
The ability of 3-5 players in year 3 or 4 to take their games to another level is critical. Newness well on way but need a number to follow out of Webster, Acres, Wright, Billings, Dunstan,Membery
Consistency continuing with Roberton, Bruce, Ross, Savage, weller.
Continued development of ruck as they are still 3 years from entering their prime.
Keeping veterans on the park in Roo, Fisher, Gilbert, Monty,

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Love the optimism - people picking us to win 9 or 10 games next season. A bit ambitious for mine, but then again, just because we lost to Carlton, say, in 2014-2015 doesn't mean we can't beat them next year. Same with Collingwood.
But I agree that some sides around us last year are set to really improve after disappointing last year, like say Port, Geelong, Melbourne and the Suns.
Agree we probably won't be bottom four, but fifth or sixth bottom again is more realistic.
Can see us beating Brisbane, Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, and pushing maybe someone like North in an upset. If we beat a coupl of those sides twice then we might win nine and I would be overjoyed, but for now I will stick with my prediction of six wins in 2016. It is our reliance on our old hands and an inability to compete in the midfield, combined with inaccuracy in our forward 50 that brings me to this opinion.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Effective disposal was a strength in 2015. We ranked well but didn't get enough of the ball. I would expect that the efficiency will improve dramatically again this year. A big factor.

Clearances and Contested Possession must improve. 10% on each would be expected, 20% ideal.. Look to DMac, Newnes, Goddard, Freeman, Membrey, Carlisle, Webster, Lonie and Sinclair and hopefully Pick 14 to add % points

Goal accuracy was poor. We need to kick 60 more goals and no less points. This would help us to 8 wins easily. Riewoldt Sinclair Lonie Freeman Membrey and McCartin need to find 50 to 60 more between them. Just kicking straighter will help.

We actually run and bounce the ball really competitively. Natural improvement and the addition of Freeman and Carlisle could make a huge impact there.

I'm expecting 8 wins. I want 10. 2018 ain't that far off.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Will be the same as this year, and everyone will be up in arms about it because the sky is falling, the couches are shite and our trading was even worse.
I don't expect good improvement and a push for the top 8 until our draftees from start of 2014 and 2015 have 3 pre seasons into them
Although we have a pretty decent fixture this year so 9 to 10 wins is possible.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:Will be the same as this year, and everyone will be up in arms about it because the sky is falling, the couches are shite and our trading was even worse.
I don't expect good improvement and a push for the top 8 until our draftees from start of 2014 and 2015 have 3 pre seasons into them
Although we have a pretty decent fixture this year so 9 to 10 wins is possible.

Having s*** couches is not on. :D

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Gotta love the phone posting.

s*** couches, poor posture, hammies tighter.....
Couches should be top of the list under soft tissue management

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Surely there's somewhere close to Seaford we can buy nice couches? Maybe a Featherstone or Eames repro finished in a delightful fabric of earthy tone?

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I want to see the veterans get pushed out of our best 22.....

It sounds harsh, but we've seen it with Ray and Schneider this season, and our team is stronger for it. These guys aren't leaving a hole, they're being replaced by perfectly capable younger players.

We're right on the verge of Roo being pushed out of the forward line, and in the next 12 months Fisher, Dempster and Joey probably need to "suffer" the same fate, for the club to move forward and for the younger players to fulfil their potential.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

bigred wrote:I am somewhat bullish. 10-12 wins for mine.

And actually be pushing for 8th.....

Should piss some other clubs off too.
I would very much enjoy that.