Do we all consider Riewoldt better than J.Brown

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Do we all consider Riewoldt better than J.Brown

Yes, he did dominate 89! And your saying we can't include his best games in his averages?!
Does that also mean I can't include my best season in my career batting average??

In 1989
Goals
3, 7, 8, 9 (27)

0 (inj), 4, 4, 6, 3, 1, 4, 0, 3 (25)

That's 52 goals in 13 games

Possessions
13, 23, 25, 15, 6 (inj), 16, 12, 17, 11, 5, 5, 9, 11, 13

He was 35 in his last finals series... Are players judged on their last couple of years well past their prime?

Let's face it

He was a superstar, not sure that's hard to admit?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Yes, he did dominate 89! And your saying we can't include his best games in his averages?!
Does that also mean I can't include my best season in my career batting average??

In 1989
Goals
3, 7, 8, 9 (27)

0 (inj), 4, 4, 6, 3, 1, 4, 0, 3 (25)

That's 52 goals in 13 games

Possessions
13, 23, 25, 15, 6 (inj), 16, 12, 17, 11, 5, 5, 9, 11, 13

He was 35 in his last finals series... Are players judged on their last couple of years well past their prime?

Let's face it

He was a superstar, not sure that's hard to admit?
He was a superstar. I agree. But when you're talking about the best EVER there has to be a point of difference somewhere. In 1992 he played average at best in the GF. In 94 he was absolutely woeful. In 95 he wasn't much better.

Like I said, he is in my best 10 players ever that I have seen. But he had flaws. His biggest flaw was his tank that was directly related to his work ethic (training), which meant he was often restricted to one area of the ground. At 6'1 that meant inconsistency, rather than roaming the ground. I know it's nit picking but at the absolute pointy end of all time greats, that's the way I see it. There were too many big games that I watched with anticipation for Ablett to tear up, and he more often than not disappointed. Carey on the other hand, rarely disappointed. Plugger rarely disappointed. Even Roo rarely disappoints. Ppl talk about the 05 Qualifying final and Harves dominating. My memory is a big blonde bloke playing in conditions that couldn't be worse for him, and turning the game in the third quarter by just continually presenting for Harves to hit him on the tits.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If Harves didn't win the footy, Roo wouldn't have been able to get on the end of his passes. Robert was by so far and away BOG in that game it was ridiculous.

Generating footy and being on the receiving end of someone's work up field are two different things, even plugger used to say that his job was easy just capitalising on the good work of the mids... Not entirely true... But coaches do say that games are won or lost in the midfield.

Ablett
had a fair physique for a man who was lazy with his ethic, and those who actually are in the know suggest he trained really hard. Plugger on the other hand wouldn't travel from Ballarat initially, it was well known he hated training and was overweight. At the end of his career as a FF he had bone on bone in his knee and played one season with a damaged PCL. But the extraordinary musculature of his legs allowed him enough stability to do so.

But we must remember
Ablett should be judged on being a Wing/HF for 8 years and then a FF for 4 years.

Some of his performances were amazing, actually so freakish were some of his skills, you just had to laugh. He took incredible pack marks, he swooped on ground balls, he ran away from packs, he kicked it 60m and he turned games on their head.

It's why he was called God when he played.

I rate him the 3rd best
Behind Matthews and Carey
His ability possibly even greater than the other two.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

(Shrugs)

Swap Plugger and Ablett's teams and I reckon Plugger is a part of 2 flags while Ablett stays zero

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:(Shrugs)

Swap Plugger and Ablett's teams and I reckon Plugger is a part of 2 flags while Ablett stays zero
By his own admission Plugger goes to most other clubs and he may not have got to 100 games!
Good parallel between him and Ablett (snr) in that the normal club disciplines were for mere mortals not Tony & Gaz!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I'll finish up here as we'll probably never agree, but I've enjoyed the debate anyway.. :wink:

I agree, Harves was B.O.G. in the 05 Qualifying Final - what I was marveling at though, is how a 6'4 lightly built CHF still have such an impact in driving rain, in a huge final. Harves may have been BOG but Roo was instrumental AS WELL in us winning that game.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

How good was Roo's 3rd quarter in the 2010 Prelim?

Possibly the best quarter of footy I've seen from a CHF
Took us from 'in trouble' to 'game virtually over' with his 'Herculean efforts' (including getting 'knocked out' by Kosi!)

#gosaintas
Club Player

Roo dominated approx half the finals he played in. Sadly for us none were a GF.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I've got to be honest if I could only pick one for a grand final, I'd go with Brown. Those big pack splitting monsters are incredibly valuable in grannies where its crowded on every inch of ground. They send defenders flying like ten pins and open space in crazy flooded back lines.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What about getting to a grand final

Consistency, reliability, durability, sustained performance

And because Brown had a bigger body, made him no more a contested mark than Nick
He was a similar lead up CHF with a big motor. Possibly averaged less contested marks per game and they both competed strongly in the air.
Jono was a very good player, overrated IMO
Pavlich and Tredrea better.

Clayton Davis
Club Player

Sheeeiiittt partners, how many playahs av produced elite fooootball fo all o nearlah 15 yea-ahs?

An how many o dem, did so in da hardest position on da ground??? :shock:

Ta ans-ah mah own two questions.................. not too damn many........... and ownlah one.

Sheeeiiittt!. Looks like Clay has hit da magic numbah o posts. Heh, heh, heh. :lol:

Warning: Press only in situations of extreme disbelief!
######### http://shiiiit.com/ #########
####### Image #######

About a simple man who was horrifically punished by
the powers that be for the terrible crime of trying to
bring light to the common people.