the Player Code,

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

the Player Code,

2 things which seem to have been part of the reason the 34 find themselves in the position they are has been
# Naivety -
# Team first, stick together, the player code.. it's our secret- don't tell anyone

They did not ask enough questions, did not wish to be seen to be against what the club was trying, to not be the odd one out, did not wish to query- their deference to the club staff or those given to direct them
They took what others were telling them without question, if even one amongst them had even a smidgen of science knowledge or even fear as one did would more red flags have been raised earlier or acted on earlier.

2 former players
Always trusted the coaches & medical staff, would never have 2nd guessed what was happening and would have done what every bomber player did
At a footy club young players trust the professional staff around them. I feel so sorry for the players today.
Will teams/ players/ clubs find a way to maintain some of this ' feeling', we applaud those who work for each other,
Whilst instilling in players the need to - check for your self, ask others, of not being afraid to query further o

The speed of change in AFL (and the world) requires players particularly sportspeople ( and even non sports people- especially young people) to be more alert to their own safety in regards to medical/ supplements etc and media( social).

The juggle as with all young people in being an individual but with a sense of respect for those in a more senior position/ boss.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: the Player Code,

Spot on saintbrat.

The world has changed. Solidarity is needed, but the players need to look after number one first.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Viking3
Club Player

There is a difference though between;
our little secret - don't let your mates, family, other clubs etc, of what we are doing. &
our little secret - don't let ASADA know that you are having injections (even though they are all legal).

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

The East German athletics team, the Chineese swimmers, the Bummers.......gotta feel sory for them don't you....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Not sure I buy this..seems pretty self serving and is a bit of a weak excuse. This was much more than just trusting the club and team code..When did they decide to lie to asada and not declare any injections? Was it a coincidence they all made the same decision or was there an agreement? This seems more like a conspiracy to deceive lie, and mislead asasa investigators. That is beyond mere 'team code'. If the chinese swim team did something similar would we excuse them?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I too feel sorry for all the players involved. But by the same token, Ahmed Saad copped 18 months for what I felt was a lesser offence, and there was not much hue and cry about that, so to my mind maybe the players should have got 18 months, just to be consistent.
Whereas the players were naive and trusting the club, I personally feel the club itself is getting off pretty easy. What punishment has the club received for the program in question?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I too feel sorry for all the players involved. But by the same token, Ahmed Saad copped 18 months for what I felt was a lesser offence, and there was not much hue and cry about that, so to my mind maybe the players should have got 18 months, just to be consistent.
Whereas the players were naive and trusting the club, I personally feel the club itself is getting off pretty easy. What punishment has the club received for the program in question?
Ahmed Saad was a one-off mistake...An energy drink on match day.
Essendon players systematically took TB4 over the course of months...

The crimes aren't consistent, so why should the punishments be?

Club Player

I do not think they were naive, rather irresponsible in not checking what they were being given. No player code protects the individual from responsibility for their actions and following the leader is no defense (I was only following orders doesn't wash morally or legally). the rest of their behaviour is understandable as part of a player code - the secrecy, let's get one up on the other mobs, the belief that such extraordinary practices must have some benefit, the group think when the Indians began circling the wagons.
They cannot claim that trust in the hierarchy exonerates or excuses them.
I do not think the players set out to cheat and understand why they think they are innocent - I do not agree and like many others think that a fair ban has been imposed.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

quote..I do not think the players set out to cheat and understand why they think they are innocent - I do not agree and like many others think that a fair ban has been imposed.unquote

Ahmed Saad got 2 years suspension later reduced to 18months after taking a drink on game day. The Essendon mob systematically over a period of months received injections/ No comparison.

The AFL have been very week dealing with Essendon. After denying them a first and second round pick, they then gave them one between the first and second round, which was a big improvement on their second round pick. Adelaide when they lost the early picks did not receive the same treatment. Essendon as a club has never been punished for their part as the club in this mess.

Gershwin
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:quote..I do not think the players set out to cheat and understand why they think they are innocent - I do not agree and like many others think that a fair ban has been imposed.unquote

Ahmed Saad got 2 years suspension later reduced to 18months after taking a drink on game day. The Essendon mob systematically over a period of months received injections/ No comparison.

The AFL have been very week dealing with Essendon. After denying them a first and second round pick, they then gave them one between the first and second round, which was a big improvement on their second round pick. Adelaide when they lost the early picks did not receive the same treatment. Essendon as a club has never been punished for their part as the club in this mess.
I'm not sure Saad was told 'take this drink, it's OK, it is within the WADA regulations.' The Essendon players were told the supplement injections were within WADA regulations.
Saad was irresponsible - Essendon players were trusting. I feel sorry for both.

summertime and the living is easy ........
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: .....................
Saad was irresponsible - .
he timed it wrong- had the drink at night - the night before a game- hence as given to understand allowed- ie Not on game day.
BUT game was early the next day and drink was later in the night-

so the instruction should be-' not within 24 hours of playing"-- plus yes he was not fully aware of what was in the drink

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

The Essendon drug saga is truly a sorry affair. I'm sorry for the people who are the lifeblood of the club and stand at its core. I'm sorry for the players. One track athlete was quoted this week as saying the players should have asked questions about what they were being injected with. "We ask questions," she said. "That's what we're trained to do."
But footballers have never been "trained" to question. Football clubs traditionally had affinities with clans and families; they had similar authority structures and reliance on trust. The game also prizes an idea of daring that is about not considering the consequences, or merely glimpsing at them before acting in a bold manner.
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/martin ... z3xPfJjmsF
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
supersaints
Club Player

Mmm... The players were complicit in a cutting edge " not technically illegal as individual components, ie: not on the " WADA" banned list and "undetectable in WADA tests" DRUG injection programme put to together by Hird at a meeting on the gold coast set up by his good jailed drug Peddler friend and body builder Shane Charters, who was Hirds " fitness adviser" and personal trainer when Hird made his trip to the USA to overcome his injury in what was described as a "miracle recovery".
Hird was actually accredited with saying he would do "whatever it takes" at the time in his quest to return to football. That rings a loud bell for me.

It's interesting that Hird and Evans were due to appear as character witnesses for Charters before he ended up pleading guilty Importing PEDS. Charters was Looking after the Essendon board members who were even self injecting their own " doctor ageless drugs"

Sorry I don't buy their innocence, but I'm more than happy for anyone else to have their own opinion.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:Mmm... The players were complicit in a cutting edge " not technically illegal as individual components, ie: not on the " WADA" banned list and "undetectable in WADA tests" DRUG injection programme put to together by Hird at a meeting on the gold coast set up by his good jailed drug Peddler friend and body builder Shane Charters, who was Hirds " fitness adviser" and personal trainer when Hird made his trip to the USA to overcome his injury in what was described as a "miracle recovery".
Hird was actually accredited with saying he would do "whatever it takes" at the time in his quest to return to football. That rings a loud bell for me.

It's interesting that Hird and Evans were due to appear as character witnesses for Charters before he ended up pleading guilty Importing PEDS. Charters was Looking after the Essendon board members who were even self injecting their own " doctor ageless drugs"

Sorry I don't buy their innocence, but I'm more than happy for anyone else to have their own opinion.
A very informative post

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote:
supersaints wrote:Mmm... The players were complicit in a cutting edge " not technically illegal as individual components, ie: not on the " WADA" banned list and "undetectable in WADA tests" DRUG injection programme put to together by Hird at a meeting on the gold coast set up by his good jailed drug Peddler friend and body builder Shane Charters, who was Hirds " fitness adviser" and personal trainer when Hird made his trip to the USA to overcome his injury in what was described as a "miracle recovery".

A very informative post
Maybe look at it another way, Ess FC’s arrogance, disrespect of the common man’s struggles, and attitude that they are above the law and untouchable, has caught up with them?

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Official AFL Player Code (extract):
  • All player interviews after a winning game shall include the phrase "all credit to the boys"
  • All player interviews after a losing game shall include the phrase "just looking forward to next week"
  • Light bum slaps are considered "no homo"
  • After kicking a goal players must drink from the water bottle (once high fives have been concluded)
  • Interviews about the preseason must include the phrases "flying", "really positive" and "fittest we've ever been"
  • During the warmup ensure nearly every shot on goal goes through the big sticks, but in the game drop that to 50-60%
  • Questions about making finals should be answered in the most muddled way possible preferably making reference to "taking it one week at a time" and "just wanting to improve"
  • After a home game, wander as slowly as is humanly possible to random spots on the fence whilst bouncing a footy and putting your arms above your head and making an exaggerated clapping movement to the crowd in a half-hearted way when its clear all you want to do is go to the rooms and collapse.
  • It is preferred that caps are worn backwards.
  • Bright, neon boots are a clear indication that you are a good player
  • Every team, even those on the bottom of the ladder are to be referred to as "quality opposition" and "a real test for us"
  • When the camera is on you in the circle when singing the club song, ensure you put your finger in your teammates ear or find another way to make them cringe when their arms are trapped
  • In the rooms after the game, sit against a wall with your legs spread out staring vacantly forward drinking from a water bottle. If a trainer says something to you just nod. Occasionally do some sort of recovery exercise.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Official AFL Player Code (extract):
  • All player interviews after a winning game shall include the phrase "all credit to the boys"
  • All player interviews after a losing game shall include the phrase "just looking forward to next week"
  • Light bum slaps are considered "no homo"
  • After kicking a goal players must drink from the water bottle (once high fives have been concluded)
  • Interviews about the preseason must include the phrases "flying", "really positive" and "fittest we've ever been"
  • During the warmup ensure nearly every shot on goal goes through the big sticks, but in the game drop that to 50-60%
  • Questions about making finals should be answered in the most muddled way possible preferably making reference to "taking it one week at a time" and "just wanting to improve"
  • After a home game, wander as slowly as is humanly possible to random spots on the fence whilst bouncing a footy and putting your arms above your head and making an exaggerated clapping movement to the crowd in a half-hearted way when its clear all you want to do is go to the rooms and collapse.
  • It is preferred that caps are worn backwards.
  • Bright, neon boots are a clear indication that you are a good player
  • Every team, even those on the bottom of the ladder are to be referred to as "quality opposition" and "a real test for us"
  • When the camera is on you in the circle when singing the club song, ensure you put your finger in your teammates ear or find another way to make them cringe when their arms are trapped
  • In the rooms after the game, sit against a wall with your legs spread out staring vacantly forward drinking from a water bottle. If a trainer says something to you just nod. Occasionally do some sort of recovery exercise.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just love this side of you Bluthy :lol: :lol: :lol: