I'm calling it

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: I'm calling it

Bains and Elshaug have not finished yet. Looking forward to who they snaffle for us this season.

SuperDuper
Club Player

I think we should include Jesse Hogan and Jack Martin in the 2013 crop... both are from that age group and were taken in the 2012 mini draft of 17 year olds...

Makes one hell of a crop born in 1995!

ATM it probably looks:
Hogan, Bont, Cripps, Billings, Martin.... as well as many other really good players

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:On another first round draft pick. I saw an interview with Carlton's No 1 pick - Weitering (name something like that).

He said growing up, his favourite player was Nick Riewoldt. He said his grandmother is a fanatical St Kilda supporter, and she used to take all the grandkids to the footy to watch Saints games, so Nick became his fav.

Maybe when his contract is due for renewal, the Saints should get sniffing around. Grandma Ma Ma Mas usually have strong emotional bonds with their grandkids, most grandies don't like to disappoint grandma!!
Get on to it then!!!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Pelchen was also terminated from all three clubs. He gets credit for 'actual' recruiters work.

Credit to Ameet Bains and Tony Elshaug
Terminated? Everybody is terminated. Hawthorn even re-hired him...no wonder they are such a basket case.

He was paid a six figure salary at three clubs (and twice at one) to do a job that you think you could do better. Obviously no one in the industry agrees with you.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
saynta
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
BigMart wrote:Pelchen was also terminated from all three clubs. He gets credit for 'actual' recruiters work.

Terminated? Everybody is terminated. Hawthorn even re-hired him...no wonder they are such a basket case.

He was paid a six figure salary at three clubs (and twice at one) to do a job that you think you could do better. Obviously no one in the industry agrees with you.
QQ

He got too big for his boots.

He left by mutual agreement.

As they say in the trade. :lol: 8-)

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I couldn't give a continental who got the players to us. Just as long as we win that flag then I don't care who takes credit (even if p66 does).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Who is Pelchen working for ATM

Wonder what the coaches and recruiters at those clubs think of him?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Pelchen was not the recruiter at the Saints. He may have signed off on or endorsed decisions but unless he was super human and could fit a works week into a day he didn't recruit.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think you are confused. It is not an "either or" situation. And who is not crediting Bains or Elshaug?

Pelchen was brought as Head of Football to amongst other things to overhaul our recruiting and drafting , including processes, and not to make all the draft selections himself. He was not hired as recruiter by StKilda. He was a key driver in bringing our player aquistion into the modern age. The Saints had clearly decided at the time that the playing list needed to be re-built and engaging Pelchen was the first step in that process to go about rebuilding the list in a systematic way.

And while we can all discuss the merits of any individual trade or draft pick, of one thing there is no doubt and that is that the rebuild is all about assembling a balanced team of players of similar age that can bloom together and Pelchen was clearly causal in this strategy.

Also as to being terminated from all three clubs. The coverage at the time was that he quit the Hawks. As he joined the Saints immediately afterwards to being Head of Football I think it is a lot more likely that we poached him rather than the Saints only deciding to pick him up once he was available
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/p ... 1fl53.html
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 19 Apr 2016 11:13am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
loris
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Who is Pelchen working for ATM

Last I read he was a consultant for some project with the AFL - that was a few months ago, don't know exactly what it was or how long the contract was for.

You can often read articles/analysis of league lists on afl.com by him.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I thought Pelchen was working on a recruiting program making it easier for clubs to recruit players with maximum information

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Who is Pelchen working for ATM

A few must rate him pretty highly given that at least 5 have signed up to his $50K per season recruiting network.

You're right that he didn't recruit anyone (he was part of the recruiting team with Trout, Ameet & a number of FT recruiting staff).

What Pelchen did do was overhaul our list management due to the dire combination of being over the TPP & having an ageing list with few promising young players. He implemented the plan that he had developed at Port & Hawthorn. Trout & co chose players based on that strategic recruiting plan.

Yes he rubbed people up the wrong way (especially Lyon) but he was a major reason why St Kilda have been able to rebuild a list virtually from scratch (with no help from the AFL with draft concessions, etc).

He left as he & Ameet were basically doing very similar roles and the AFL didn't want any of the $$$ they were supporting us with to be wasted on duplicate staff. Ameet was preferred by the board (rightfully so).

I'll always be very thankful that Pelchen was on our team during that period.

kp83
Club Player

Back on topic...I remember Emma Quayle (who I think everyone can agree is an expert in and an excellent judge of young talent) saying that Billings WILL be the best player out of the group by the end of their careers (assuming no injuries). This was based on the fact that he was head and shoulders above the others in his disposal skills and already had shown himself to be a match-winner. Fingers crossed but it looks like she was spot on.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Easily sold

Coaches, players and in the end recruiting staff wanted him out. He was not well liked and believed in himself a bit too much ( at the expense of others opinions)

It was believed he didn't have enough actual football knowledge to be head of football and his position was made redundant.

It took him by surprise, but the club hasn't missed him.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Draft related but the Giants get the Pies first pick in this year's draft - which is going to be a top 5 pick most likely giving the Giants even more talent. Meanwhile the Pies wont even get a decent pick which just heaps the misery on them.

Conclusion - I am calling it - GWS are a lock for the 2018 flag. 2019 as well probably. Just wait until Hopper and Kennedy get going. They will be unbeatable for a couple of years.

2020 is all the Saints though :D .

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Easily sold

Coaches, players and in the end recruiting staff wanted him out. He was not well liked and believed in himself a bit too much ( at the expense of others opinions)

It was believed he didn't have enough actual football knowledge to be head of football and his position was made redundant.

It took him by surprise, but the club hasn't missed him.
So you...

(a) not only know what all the "Coaches, players and in the end recruiting staff" think, but you also know what Pelchen thinks.

OR

(b) you are just consumed with hatred and make things up.

Given that you get agitated at the mere mention of his name, I'll go with (b).

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

kp83 wrote:Back on topic...I remember Emma Quayle (who I think everyone can agree is an expert in and an excellent judge of young talent) saying that Billings WILL be the best player out of the group by the end of their careers (assuming no injuries). This was based on the fact that he was head and shoulders above the others in his disposal skills and already had shown himself to be a match-winner. Fingers crossed but it looks like she was spot on.
I'm wondering why we don't employ her to work in our recruiting department?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I do happen to know a couple of ex-players who thought he was a dick. He was full of himself, and he was never well respected. I can tell you for a fact, one of the reasons Lyon walked, was he didn't like the direction Pelchen was going, he didn't rate him so was frustrated with dealing with Pelchens ego and in a nut shell couldn't stand him.

I don't have to make things up, I just hate seeing someone get false credit, that's all. I don't hate Pelchen or even know him... But I do know mindless supporters who are easily sold overplay his significance

At least the board and footy dept realised and got rid of him.

He is no genius... His plan of giving up stars for picks is not brilliant, any fool could do that.
His other chestnut of giving up frdps for multiple picks or multiple players
Ie Seb Ross, Milera and Saad for 20 was not genius either.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: Ie Seb Ross, Milera and Saad for 20 was not genius either.
As it turned out if we had of kept pick 20 we would probably have taken Ross still anyway. Besides with Mitchell asa F/S it was onlya 4 pick downgrade.

Saad played 33 games and Milera 30 games. Many players drafted do not play that many, and indeed of the interveing players 2 are already gone wth only 6 and 14 games.

1 20 Fremantle Hayden Crozier Fremantle 35
1 21 Father/Son Sydney Tom Mitchell Sydney 43
1 22 Carlton Joshua Bootsma 14
1 23 West Coast Murray Newman 6
1 24 Gold Coast Henry Schade Gold Coast 15
1 25 St Kilda Sebastian Ross St Kilda 41

So for mine even in hindsight it still looks like a pretty smart deal. We have already had over 100 games from the pick and Ross (excluding Mitchell who we could not have selected anyway) looks to be the best of that bunch of players, and indeed is looking like real cream now.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: I can tell you for a fact, one of the reasons Lyon walked, was he didn't like the direction Pelchen was going,
Well if that is the case it is probably just as well Lyon left as the direction we are going looks pretty good to me.
BigMart wrote: he didn't rate him so was frustrated with dealing with Pelchens ego and in a nut shell couldn't stand him.

I think it is well known that Lyon has a healthy ego. Lyon clashed with a few including Nettlefold which was probably the most salient point (ignoring the huge money that Freo offered him, plus that Lyon had lost a lot of money on the stockmarket)

However on 27 July 2011 it was reported that Lyon was involved in the three new appointments.

Both Lyon and Nettlefold have insisted that the coach played a big part in the recent appointment of Chris Pelchen to oversee the club's football operation with Lyon likening the structure to that of Paul Roos and his former football boss Andrew Ireland at Sydney in recent times.

Pelchen, who left the Hawks mid-season, will officially join St Kilda on Monday and spend the remainder of 2011 devising with Lyon a list strategy. There is heavy debate as to whether the club will move to substantially rebuild its uneven list or continue on a less radical path.

While the highly rated Lyon is tied to the club until the end of next season his name has been occasionally linked to other clubs, something to which neither the Saints nor his management yesterday paid any heed.

''We've been having some discussions with Ross as to how 2013 will look,'' said Nettlefold, who refused to put a timeline on contract talks. ''With free agency coming into the competition and draft concessions to the Gold Coast and the GWS, the environment we're moving into is dynamic, it's different.
''We'd like to have Ross stay contracted; Ross was heavily involved with the Chris Pelchen appointment, which was all part of our planning including the appointment of Ameet Bains as our list manager and placing Tony Elshaug as our head of recruiting.''

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... z46MWcOeLy

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Nettlefold - a massive joke.

Pelchen
Where is he now, why did we terminate him if he was so instrumental? I don't get it, a valuable commodity putting us on a premiership path ... Sacked 4 years before the window opens

I wonder when it'll be ok to call him for what he was?...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Want an idea of how he was respected by players

Watch open mike with bakes

His comment referring to Pelchen was typical of many

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Want an idea of how he was respected by players

Watch open mike with bakes

His comment referring to Pelchen was typical of many
OK, name three. Should be easy if there are many.

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Nettlefold - a massive joke.

Pelchen
Where is he now, why did we terminate him if he was so instrumental? I don't get it, a valuable commodity putting us on a premiership path ... Sacked 4 years before the window opens

I wonder when it'll be ok to call him for what he was?...
Pelchen may well have been the world's biggest pr***. However I do not care.

What I care about is that the period before he arrived during two coaches tenure is that we had the AFL's worst draft selections for many a year.
Pelchen was brought in to turn that around, and turn it around he did. Yes Trout and Ahmeet were part of it too, but unlike you I have no problem with that. Pelchen when he was with us credited them too.

Our drafting has evolved, we have moved on for the better. That Pelchen did not stay does not matter. Change agents rarely do.

You seem to be hung upon Pelchen claiming credit with the actual individual draft pick selections. I don't as that was not his role with us.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

His role was initially coming up with a list management plan and dealing with the TPP issues.

He traded 2 very highly paid players, and a few retired in his tenure to open space. He had input into draft selections in 11 & 12 and his role changed a bit to head of football and amet took on more of role Pelchen was doing because of his professional background (better human too)
Then, like Greg Hutchison Pelchen was offloaded. Club felt he was devisive and in reality, just not that great at his job.
Carefully go through net gain of the 2011 & 2012 draft/trade periods
Trout and Ameet have been the architects behind draft successes.