Dustin Martin vs Armitage

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

felix
Club Player

Dustin Martin vs Armitage

Who do you think is the better footballer,? I'm thinking they are very similar in what they mean to their respective clubs.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dustin Martin vs Armitage

Good comparison
Martin slightly more creative with ball? But really not much between them
I'd have traded both for upgrades if possible - Rich should've done a deal for Martian

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Good comparison
Martin slightly more creative with ball? But really not much between them
I'd have traded both for upgrades if possible - Rich should've done a deal for Martian
Really?

I would have thought Dusty would be held in much higher regard (as a footballer at least) then Armitage by a long way... My feeling is that the only reason this could be close is because Dusty has somewhat underperformed a bit. I think Martin's best is a lot better though and he gets there more often.

suss
Club Player

Dusty is one of the better players going around. In the top 10 in the league imo.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Similarish.... Objective assessment says Armo is better. Armo = 25 and Martin = 51 ranked players in the AFL. People will split hairs and criticise these kinds of rating systems but they are as good as any other method. No method is perfect.

http://www.afl.com.au/stats/player-rati ... -standings#

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Actually I want to know what people think of the Jack Riewoldt v David Armitage trade, has St.Kilda fared better at this trade or with hindsight would Riewoldt provide more value if he played along side his cousin?

I'm leaning towards Armitage being the more important cog for St Kilda than J.Riewoldt could have been.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I'd give the points to Jumpin Jack there too... He's been one of the premier forwards of the league now for some seasons. At least 5 I'm guessing if not longer, whereas Armo has only really come of age in the last 2 seasons.

It's a hard question because it impacts everything else. If we have Jack, Kosi is out earlier, we pbly take Petracca ahead of Paddy and getting midfielders very much remains the big priority.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I'd give the points to Jumpin Jack there too... He's been one of the premier forwards of the league now for some seasons. At least 5 I'm guessing if not longer, whereas Armo has only really come of age in the last 2 seasons.

It's a hard question because it impacts everything else. If we have Jack, Kosi is out earlier, we pbly take Petracca ahead of Paddy and getting midfielders very much remains the big priority.
Riewoldt is stagnating whereas Armo is coming into his prime. Maybe Jack wants a change in scene?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
carn_sainter
Club Player

Armitage is a workhorse who has an impact on games through sheer volume of work. He is very good at getting first hands on the ball and at impacting contests, getting his body in the right spot, pressure, tackles.

But he is nowhere near as damaging as Martin. Martin can carry the ball further, kick it longer and more accurately and score far better than Armitage.

He doesn't seem to be as prolific with the contested stuff (though I don't pay much attention to Richmond) and I am not sure if his form is as consistent as Armitage, but he is more complete as a footballer.

If nether played at our club and I had to choose one or the other I would pick Martin. But I wouldn't trade Armitage for him, if that makes sense.

As for Jack Riewoldt, he is a gun. A very complete player like Jarryd Roughead...I know Membrey is substantially shorter but I think Jack Riewoldt is an excellent model of a player to build towards in that he can play at stoppages competently, he is great on the ground, he has the tank to work all the way up the ground and he still has the full skill set of a key forward. Took years to develop obviously.

Rosco
Club Player

martin, on field.

armo is not a d***head off field.

Rosco
Club Player

skeptic wrote:I'd give the points to Jumpin Jack there too... He's been one of the premier forwards of the league now for some seasons. At least 5 I'm guessing if not longer, whereas Armo has only really come of age in the last 2 seasons.

this would have been very interesting. would bruce have been stuck down back last year (or out) with jack in the side? oh the permutations.

SMS
Club Player

This is a great example of why you need good people.

Dusty is clearly the better player ... However id take armo in a heartbeat. Armo is a motivater leader and person of great character.

Armitage helps this club in so many other ways and he has become an elite mid!! Dustys output on the field isnt THAT much greater than armos and when you look at the whole package you choose armo everytime.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Still and all, Dusty's an excitement machine and Jumping Jack is a super-reliable kick for goal. I wouldn't trade Armo either but I wouldn't mind being able to transplant both those qualities in!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I am surprised people think Martin is a better player. More media hype with Martin but that is mainly because Richmond are s*** and the media are trying to pump them up. I think Armo is easily as good as Martin. I rate Martin for sure but Armo is a bloody good player.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 07 May 2016 6:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Martin has had a rather ordinary year so far.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I am surprised peopel think Martin is a better player. More media hype with Martin but that is mainly because Richmond are s*** and the media are trying to pump them up. I think Armo is easily as good as Martin. I rate Martin for sure but Armo is a bloody good player.
The thing is as Big Red pointed out Martin is under performing in a big way. One would suspect that this is mainly due to the fact that his commitment and drive is questionable.
In this department, Armo has Dusty covered in spades.

You may recall that Armo's training ethic was questioned up until about RL's last season when his fitness spiked up. Even after that it took a good 3 or so years until Armo became the player that he is.

On talent and potential I still think Dusty has him covered quite easily... Though looking at your link I'm forming the opinion that I underrate Armo.

In terms of who would i rather have the answer is still David. IMO there's a rockstar mentality about Dusty that is really undesirable. As a club, Richmond is really a poor choice for him as they treat him as a bit of a demigod. That chopsticks debacle at the start of the year was a good example, they should have thrown the book at him but their desire to make up the numbers in finals outshone the team needs.
One can't help but think though that if he was playing for Hawthorn or Geelong for example, he may have been something really special

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

magnifisaint wrote:Actually I want to know what people think of the Jack Riewoldt v David Armitage trade, has St.Kilda fared better at this trade or with hindsight would Riewoldt provide more value if he played along side his cousin?

I'm leaning towards Armitage being the more important cog for St Kilda than J.Riewoldt could have been.
As much as I'm an Armo fan and think that he's critically important to St Kilda, especially at this stage of our rebuild, I still think the outlook of the '09 or '10 GF may have been different if Jack was playing for us at FF.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Martin

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Martin the more skilled
Armo the better leader

Rosco
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I am surprised people think Martin is a better player. More media hype with Martin but that is mainly because Richmond are s*** and the media are trying to pump them up. I think Armo is easily as good as Martin. I rate Martin for sure but Armo is a bloody good player.
I wouldn't shift armo, and dusty has off field probs, but on field dusty is clearly ahead for me :
- dusty 3 years younger but roughly same number of games played
- dusty greater output from first few seasons
- Armo more disposals last year but otherwise dusty is equal or higher
- Armo lays 50% more tackles
- clincher: dusty kicks more goals, 144 compared to 82 for career (1/game vs 0.6/game)