harves

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

freely
SS Hall of Fame

harves

Maybe a bit of a curly one - how much responsibility does Harves have for the rubbish Collingwood is churning out at the moment? Does it have any impact on how we'd feel about him coming back to coach for us down the track?

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Re: harves

Great player does not necessarily equal great coach. The question is, can we assess his coaching ability objectively?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

I loved Harves as a player - he was my son's favourite, but I have seen him get bogged down with fans at his son's basketball game and not be able to turn them away. I do not feel that he has the ability to not be 'Mr Nice Guy' and that is a quality often needed in a coach. I think he would make a good fitness, or aspiration coach, I do not see him being a great head coach.

Sorry

I just don't see it!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Realistically though how can you know without seeing him up close over a period of time and knowing what it is Bucks wants him to do..?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Very tricky to judge.

He's been in the system at Carlton (2009-10), St Kilda (2011) and Collingwood (2012-15) and none of those sides have set the world on fire (all played finals in his first year at each but didn't do anything of note).

I'm not convinced he's bad or good; but seven years in the system isn't something to be sniffed at.

I'd like to think he's grown more aware year on year and will be able to bloom into a senior coach one day. Always thought he was a bit quiet for that - but I actually reckon a senior job in the VFL would be a fantastic middle ground for him, and he could then possibly springboard back into the top league.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Legendary
Club Player

I hope he never coaches us because Richo wins a flag and is our coach for the next decade.

Favourite sons from the 90's don't work as AFL coaches: Buckley (fail), Hird (fail), Ratten (fail), Primus (fail), Voss (fail).

jimmy_slats
Club Player

How's his son traveling along he is almost draft age isn't he ?

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

jimmy_slats wrote:How's his son traveling along he is almost draft age isn't he ?
Think he's only goin' harv as good as he needs to be :cry:

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

[quote="jimmy_slats"]How's his son traveling along he is almost draft age isn't he ?[/quote]

He is, but he appears likely to pursue the other great sporting tradition of the Harvey family, cricket. He has trained with the father/son group at the saints, but alas, he appears destined to go with the flanneled fools.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote:Maybe a bit of a curly one - how much responsibility does Harves have for the rubbish Collingwood is churning out at the moment? Does it have any impact on how we'd feel about him coming back to coach for us down the track?
No impact on how I feel. I just want the best person for the job.

Richo is looking good at present.

Also getting "ole" boys back to coach one's club has not worked too well of late. ie Voss, Hird, Buckley.....though at least Harvey has done a solid apprenticeship[ as an assistant coach now.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Well done Harvs. Mission accomplished at Collingwood :wink: We'll find something for you

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:I hope he never coaches us because Richo wins a flag and is our coach for the next decade.

Favourite sons from the 90's don't work as AFL coaches: Buckley (fail), Hird (fail), Ratten (fail), Primus (fail), Voss (fail).
Interesting that almost all (except Buckley, maybe Hird) took over basket case clubs, maybe as a sentimental fix to give members some hope? Ratten, Prium and Voss could have gone further had the support of their players, Ratten particularly unlucky to be in command of a list/club that overrated itself.

No for Harv's from me, although I'm not hiring at the moment anyways.

longtimesaint
Club Player

I have been watching Harves when the camera goes to the Collingwood box.
Where Buckley has been suffering Harves seems very detached from Collingwood's situation like it is just a job.
I don't think he is emotially committed to Collingwood.

One year will be our year
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Harves is Collingwoods midfield coach - you would to suggest he is not getting the best out of them!

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Even though Harves has been in the coaching system for seven years, I'd still be skeptical about appointing him as senior coach at this stage, as I can't help but think it would be for the same romantic notion that was made by rivals clubs when appointing their favourite sons in Voss, Hird and Buckley. It's interesting to note that the Roo's were hot on Buckley's tail until the Pies locked him into that debacle of a coaching contract. Would love to see what state the Roo's would have been in now had Buckley accepted their offer.

There are exceptions of course, in Worsfold and Roos.

I don't know why, but the idea of Lenny one day coaching the Saints after a long apprenticeship excites me more.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Geez, I'm quite happy with Alan Richardson as our coach for the moment. If Richo can get us into the finals by 2018, I'm guessing we need not worry about Harves taking over for some time to come after then.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Didn't Ross infamously take control off harvey of our struggling midfield in 2011?

asiu
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Well done Harvs. Mission accomplished at Collingwood :wink: We'll find something for you
:D

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Adam Kingsley keeps getting a good wrap and is the most likely successor at this stage you would have to say.
I don't know what it says that Harvey was beat by Watters in the interview four years back, but that could be a little unfair, as I'm sure Watters would interview and present very well.
From the outside it seems to me that clear communicators make the best coaches. I was listening to Clarkson on SEN this morning and he's not very eloquent, or particularly confident sounding for that matter, but he is bloody clear. Same with Richo if you side step the lovable waffle (...nah, nah, nah... he's a ripper).
Lyon was brilliant, so clever in fact he pretty much invented his own footy language, and there was no mistaking what the message was imo.
But I find Buckley mystifying by contrast, and thought Ratten babbled at best. Hardwick is one cliche after the other.
So, long windedly, I'm not sure Harvey has the communication side covered, but admittedly that's not based on much.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

None of us have first clue what Harves is like as a coach. He was Assistant Coach of the year 2014 - however they measure that?

We don't even know what Rob is like behind closed doors.

And great assistant coaches don't necessarily become good coaches either

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Apparently you can. Just watch shots of the coaches box.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Harvey was an all time great Saint, but my 'gut feel' says that he won't make a great coach.

For his own sake, I'd love to see him get a head coach role, but to be honest I'd prefer him to take on a team like Collingwood. If he were to prove me wrong and be successfull, then I'd love to poach him back to St Kilda.

It seems Malthouse has sugested that Buckley inherited a team on the verge of a dynasty, he made his own choices and the club is in free-fall. I've never liked Malthouse, he was a crap player at St Kilda and never managed to convince me he was a great coach. When he talks, often a lot of brown-stuff comes out of his mouth. In my humble opinion he single-handedly sent Carlton back to the dark ages, for which I'm gratefull 'cause I'm not fond of them either. Carlton's new coach is demonstrating what a fraud Malthouse really is.

If Buckley does get sacked, I'll be delighted if Harvey gets the gig. It could be a win-win, if he sucks at coaching it sets Collingwood back another 5 years, if he's good we could poach him.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Perception = reality

For morons

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:Harves is Collingwoods midfield coach - you would to suggest he is not getting the best out of them!
Harves is senior assistant.