O'meara Marchbank Tomlinson Hurley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Playon
Club Player

O'meara Marchbank Tomlinson Hurley

According to SEN we are front runners to land JOM, yes we've heard it here from Jax, but I was wondering if this is still on the cards as things change. My concerns would be with the injury that he has he can make a full recovery but may never be the same example from other sports
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... -1.1973081
http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport ... on-rupture

Perhaps given that were willing to wait for years? for him to get back to what he was is a huge gamble and one sadly may not pay off. I cant find a player in any sport that has fully recovered from this injury to the extent of they were the same as before the injury. So if you know of one please enlighten us.

Both Marchbank and Tomlinson are being reported as favorites to go to Carlton but then again so were Carlisle and Rice, and another but is that sos may have a say in one or both of where these players are next year

Hurley
Richmond no longer in the race for Hurley, not that there ever was one.Richmond now stating he's more like a 600k player than a 900k player and are no longer interested (yeah old news) Latest is that Hurley has now told the playing group that he intends to keep playing with the Bombers, basically he just wants to see what he's worth on the market (stonecold please keep you inside info to yourself, wrong again)

In the end its still early days, lots more to happen yet

Playon
Club Player

Re: O'meara Marchbank Tomlinson Hurley

Gun Sun Jaeger O'Meara back in full training
JAEGER O'Meara took a major step forward in his recovery from a shocking knee injury, training with Gold Coast's main group for the first time on Thursday morning
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-26/g ... l-training

The_President
Club Player

Playon wrote:According to SEN we are front runners to land JOM, yes we've heard it here from Jax, but I was wondering if this is still on the cards as things change. My concerns would be with the injury that he has he can make a full recovery but may never be the same example from other sports

Perhaps given that were willing to wait for years? for him to get back to what he was is a huge gamble and one sadly may not pay off. I cant find a player in any sport that has fully recovered from this injury to the extent of they were the same as before the injury. So if you know of one please enlighten us.

Both Marchbank and Tomlinson are being reported as favorites to go to Carlton but then again so were Carlisle and Rice, and another but is that sos may have a say in one or both of where these players are next year

Hurley
Richmond no longer in the race for Hurley, not that there ever was one.Richmond now stating he's more like a 600k player than a 900k player and are no longer interested (yeah old news) Latest is that Hurley has now told the playing group that he intends to keep playing with the Bombers, basically he just wants to see what he's worth on the market (stonecold please keep you inside info to yourself, wrong again)

The knee is a massive worry.

Would be devastated to give up our first pick for JOM especially after giving up a second rounder for Freeman. Both massive injury risks. Both might never play.

Let's not even add Carlisle to that list.

Let's say we do land JOM & both Carlisle & Freeman come in next year healthy, fit and play really good football.
We'd look back on those trades as we hold up the cup and smile.

If we land JOM & he never gets his knee right, Freeman is lucky to play 50 games and Carlisle has another incident and is cut.
We'd look back on those trades with absolute anger as we have to go through another rebuild.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I would be concerned on having so many future possible "guns" for us with injury cloubs.

JOM, Carlisle, Freman yes could all be stars for us, but when does risk management kick in to say that cumtlatively the risk is too great.

JOM will not be cheap and unless he gets back n the park, stay on the park and ends up playing well this season I would be very concerned about the Saints taking him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I very much doubt Hurley will leave Bombers.

Tomlinson is an ok player but nothing to get excited about. Depth player at GWS. Would still take him though. An upgrade on Gilbert as a utility player.

JOM - very much up in the air you would think. A lot of things would need to happen for him to become a Saint. Unlikely I would think.

Marchbank - well not sure but Id be rapt if we got him but SOS has a clear advantage with GWS players as he knows them personally.

I's say all 4 are long shots to be Saints.

If we were to chase a player Id be going after Prestia first and Jack Steele next.

The trouble with player movement rumours is the majority of them are kites flown by player managers to up the price of the player.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 26 May 2016 8:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: Tomlinson is an ok player but nothing to get excited about. Depth player at GWS. Would still take him though. An upgrade on Gilbert as a utility player.

Interesting you say that as the main complaint GWS fans have on him is that he butchers the ball when he kicks it.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: Tomlinson is an ok player but nothing to get excited about. Depth player at GWS. Would still take him though. An upgrade on Gilbert as a utility player.

Interesting you say that as the main complaint GWS fans have on him is that he butchers the ball when he kicks it.
Yep. He also doesnt get enough of it. If we got him Id take him but I wouldnt invest any resources pursuing him. Prefer others.
I think Prestia or Steele would be good gets.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

The_President wrote:
Playon wrote:According to SEN we are front runners to land JOM, yes we've heard it here from Jax, but I was wondering if this is still on the cards as things change. My concerns would be with the injury that he has he can make a full recovery but may never be the same example from other sports

Hurley

The knee is a massive worry.

Would be devastated to give up our first pick for JOM especially after giving up a second rounder for Freeman. Both massive injury risks. Both might never play.

Let's not even add Carlisle to that list.

Let's say we do land JOM & both Carlisle & Freeman come in next year healthy, fit and play really good football.
We'd look back on those trades as we hold up the cup and smile.

If we land JOM & he never gets his knee right, Freeman is lucky to play 50 games and Carlisle has another incident and is cut.
We'd look back on those trades with absolute anger as we have to go through another rebuild.
Good due diligence would demand that the Club be absolutely certain that O'Meara was no more likely than any other player as an injury risk. I'm comfortable that will occur.

Freeman was a calculated risk with a 2nd pick, with high reward if it comes off.

Carlisle was surely recruited knowing that he may be rubbed out for 12 months and considered worth it (with which I agree).

The_Merchant
Club Player

Hurley unlikely to go anywhere. Spoke to him after the newspaper reports saying he was going to the Tigers and he was as surprised as anyone. Hadn't spoken to the Tigers at all.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The_Merchant wrote:Hurley unlikely to go anywhere. Spoke to him after the newspaper reports saying he was going to the Tigers and he was as surprised as anyone. Hadn't spoken to the Tigers at all.
Stonecold???? Hurley hadn't spoken to the Tigers at all.....but choosing between them and us?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The_Merchant wrote:Hurley unlikely to go anywhere. Spoke to him after the newspaper reports saying he was going to the Tigers and he was as surprised as anyone. Hadn't spoken to the Tigers at all.
Well the obvious question then is did you ask him about coming to the Saints? And if not black mark for you!

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

If O'Meara's knee holds up for the rest of the year and he starts playing good footy - nexts years (2017) 1st rounder??? - with the thought that we will finish top 8 - so somewhere between pick 11 to 22 - depending on our ladder finish which we better than this year

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Saw some of the footage last night of JOM from GC training. Geez he moves well for a bloke with a buggered knee. Not at 100% for his first run, but he's certainly no cripple. They mentioned on Fox Footy they were expecting a comeback for the last 1/3 of the year, meaning around round 14/15. So a couple of weeks training, a week or 2 in the NEAFL, then into it.

The thing that worries me is the Suns motivation from this point on. They must know they're up against it to keep him, so do they rush him back before he's ready, get 7 or 8 games out of him and boost his value?? Knowing if he gets through unscathed they get a top 10 pick, but if he breaks down they get bugger all.

Like selling a car that has a oil leak, you tape over the leak when a buyer comes knocking, but a kilometre down the road the tape falls off and the buyer realises he has a lemon on his hands.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I think Prestia or Steele would be good gets.
Yes, I think we're setting ourselves up for a fall with the 4 in the OP...sail over top of the lot and go for Prestia if you want the best player for a reasonable deal. According to his manager he would be looking for a club that would offer instant success...GWS (too full), Sydney, Adelaide, Bulldogs (already have good small fwds) might be a match. Oddly enough the AFL website said Carlton would be a good fit, but not St Kilda!

Having said that, I'm sure we'd be looking for instant solutions down back. Tom McDonald still to sign, but not sure why he'd move sideways too us (although we're more likely to see a GF before the Dees IMO)? There'd be a few clubs looking for defence stock though.

SMS
Club Player

Of we get JOM ill be stoked. Hes injured ... So what?? He'll be fine and have you seen him play?
Gazza like except bigger. Amazing talent. Have to trow the sink at him. He will get us that flag. ExCtly what we need.

PLEASE BAINS PLEASE BE THINKING THIS!!!!
Give him $1.3m a year. Seriously. Will be an all time great.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Of we get JOM ill be stoked. Hes injured ... So what?? He'll be fine and have you seen him play?
Gazza like except bigger. Amazing talent. Have to trow the sink at him. He will get us that flag. ExCtly what we need.

PLEASE BAINS PLEASE BE THINKING THIS!!!!
Give him $1.3m a year. Seriously. Will be an all time great.

Nope nope and nope. Two recos - no thanks. Not on a big fat multi year contract. Leave him the hell alone.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

This is a huge gamble. PASS!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The thing I like about Prestia is he plays well even when the team is getting thrashed. Not a downhill skier and has some character and fight in him.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Tomlinson is 193cm, but is incapable of playing key position effectively. No thanks