The Danger zone

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Danger zone

Just need a system to inhibit the run of Geelong mids- there always seems to be one at least loose and unmanned and running through the middle, especially Dangerfield this season. It's all about positioning our players to stop the easy outside spread. Trouble is, I have no confidence in our tactical work in the midfield- it's either we have the ball, or if not, there's no plan B.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:And how do we stop Gary Ablett's second (or third) coming from the Cattery?

Can the Gearbox go with him all day?

Do we need to play Wright as a pure run with tagger??

:wink:
Play Jason Holmes, tell him to play like a defensive end and run into Paddy at every opportunity!!!!!

Then after he gets weeks, shake his hand and say thanks for coming to Australia and trying AFL Footy :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Fair idea. I like it!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
longtimesaint
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
stonecold wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:And how do we stop Gary Ablett's second (or third) coming from the Cattery?

Can the Gearbox go with him all day?

Do we need to play Wright as a pure run with tagger??

:wink:
Play Jason Holmes, tell him to play like a defensive end and run into Paddy at every opportunity!!!!!

Then after he gets weeks, shake his hand and say thanks for coming to Australia and trying AFL Footy :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Fair idea. I like it!
Play Cowboy Neale off the bench!

One year will be our year
Wombat15
Club Player

From what i saw in the carlton game (when they played the cats) they tagged selwood all day and ensured whoever played on motlop gave him a hard time. My thinking with danger is hes gonna get his touches anyways so you might as well just let him do his thing and concentrate on the other pieces in their side. We could see the return of Mav the tagger and that would be a decent move to whack him on selwood as he tackles hard and will do his job. Geary onto motlop and rotate with Wright if required. Apart from that i reckon theyll put Blicavs on Rooey. should be a good game their side is a few players stronger in each third but as we saw against carlton even if we are undermanned we will put out a strong team defensive effort. I think the major area of concern will be in our Defense especially if Lee, Fisher and/or Dempster arent right for the game. Because i cant see Delaney, Webster, Roberton and even White or Coghlan (if named) being able to cope with the likes of Kersten, Hawkins, Clark (if named) and potentially Stanley. Our forward line should match up well if Paddy is all ok means the big 3 will be back, all it means is that our "small forwards" will need to step up and convert. I do expect a competitive performance especially after last year and i dont think its very good for the mentality of the side to only turn up and be competitive every second game. Coming off the bye they should be refreshed and slightly rusty but being able to regroup with a few additions to the side will do them a world of good.

lintonstreet
Club Player

Wombat15 wrote:From what i saw in the carlton game (when they played the cats) they tagged selwood all day and ensured whoever played on motlop gave him a hard time. My thinking with danger is hes gonna get his touches anyways so you might as well just let him do his thing and concentrate on the other pieces in their side. We could see the return of Mav the tagger and that would be a decent move to whack him on selwood as he tackles hard and will do his job. Geary onto motlop and rotate with Wright if required. Apart from that i reckon theyll put Blicavs on Rooey. should be a good game their side is a few players stronger in each third but as we saw against carlton even if we are undermanned we will put out a strong team defensive effort. I think the major area of concern will be in our Defense especially if Lee, Fisher and/or Dempster arent right for the game. Because i cant see Delaney, Webster, Roberton and even White or Coghlan (if named) being able to cope with the likes of Kersten, Hawkins, Clark (if named) and potentially Stanley. Our forward line should match up well if Paddy is all ok means the big 3 will be back, all it means is that our "small forwards" will need to step up and convert. I do expect a competitive performance especially after last year and i dont think its very good for the mentality of the side to only turn up and be competitive every second game. Coming off the bye they should be refreshed and slightly rusty but being able to regroup with a few additions to the side will do them a world of good.
Mav the tagger can shut Selwood or Danger

Griggsy
SS Life Member

HUUUGE game, again, how well we play will depend on Hickey. If we don't get good use out the midfield we are toast like the Eagles and Crows games. Defense will face so much pressure. Would like a huge game from armo too, bring back that bulldozer attitude.

Pressure dangerfield into making his kicks forward a hack, we are decent at defending these kicks. If they start hitting up to Hawkins and Co to their advantage it will spell trouble.

Another key will be keeping the forwards involved if its being played in our defensive half. no point having them sitting out the back if it ain't going forward.

lintonstreet
Club Player

lintonstreet wrote:I know we can't stop all their playmakers BUT we must tag Danger for this one.

The obvious choice is Mav.
He was the best tagger in the comp in 2014 when he came to the saints.
In 2015 Richo like other coaches took the one-dimensional tagger out of the game and released Mav to a permanent forward/mid.

He has both the pace and strength to tag danger all day.
Plus I'm not sure if anyone knows but all year he has been Top 2 in kms run during the match so he has the endurance.

Time to bring back the tag v the Cats.

Just heard Richo's press conference today and yep I was right!
Shut him down Mav!~

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
lintonstreet
Club Player

That might be the transcript but listen to the interview. Within seconds of being asked he reminded everyone about MAV.
Rest assured if Danger racks up a few early # 44 will be sent to him

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

As soon as I read "St Kilda unlikely to tag Danger" I stopped reading the article. It's bultish.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
lintonstreet
Club Player

cats have had a really tough couple of weeks and although in great form they come to our backyard.
our boys are well rested and I think are looking forward to showing each other that they can take it up to top sides.
not saying they'll win but I'm hoping for a real tough encounter and if we are within 2 goals at 3/4 time, who knows.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Gilbo may be the one that get's us over the line.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Danger getting 40+ is what will hurt us badly.

As much as I admire Armo, how many times does he get the ball and get forced onto the right foot, and he kicks wildly in hope?
Maybe not his fault, nobody running clear to present viable handball option, as well as other teams covering our guys nearby, so Armo has no choice but to kick.

Their defence is far too skilled and will take saving marks, and just rebound it.

My prediction- 1st qtr gap - 2 goals down, 1/2 time at least 5 goals down.

Final Siren- we'll be less than 8 goals total.
Cats at least 15 goals.

Clearances- they'll win twice as many as we do.
Selwood+Danger and the rest will clean up.

Frees- Cats 23, Saints 8.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee