#14!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: #14!!!!!

skeptic wrote:I was thinking about him on the way to work.

It was a really complete game vs Melbourne wasn't it. He not only beat his opponent but completely punished him for being lazy/unaccountable going the other way.

It reminded that back in the 09 era when he first started that was Jarryn actually quite an attacking player... I remember a game vs Adelaide in rd2 in 09 (in Adelaide) where he turned the tide late with a long bomb goal and started a bit of a roll.

It's a part of his game that disappeared as he became more of a lock down player but geeez I hope he continues like this a little more. His confidence is up and though we know he isn't exactly a dead eye Dick by foot, he certainly appears to have worked on that quite a bit in recent times coz that area of his game is not standing out like it once did.

Is really a pleasure to watch atm
Yes "skeptic", many conveniently forget the 'young Geary', was extremely attacking, that was his problem, limited defensive side to his game - like many young players. Also his kicking wasn't poor. Then he had that horrific broken leg. When he came back from that, he was like Nathan Wright, kept inventing new ways to get injured. After his leg problems his kicking was not reliable, . and his attacking style of game changed, because he was made to take on a more defensive role, purely to get a game.

However people need to identify what they mean as attacking. Sometimes excellent defending can be attacking football, IMHO.

When I have the luxury of seeing Geary play live I closely watch his work on the field. Sure he lock's down on his immediate opponent. However he has the footy nous to identify when to run off his opponent to help out in another contest, then get back to cover his opponent. Now that is rather courageous & attacking as he is usually guarding a player who can instantly turn a game if they get loose.
Also many a time you will see him work up the wing, leaving his opponent, to a spot wher he closes down the avenue of 'out' for the opposition. He has the endurance to cover massive areas on the ground over a match. I'd love to know his GPS readings. Often when he goes on these 'sorties' up and across the ground, if his opponent goes with him, the opponent looks exhausted at a contest. In the same way (not as spectacularly I must admit) as Roo does, Gears works his opponent over with his aerobic capacity.
Just watch his body blocks when there are ball ups in his area, watch the little tap ons from under a pack, watch the crashing of packs, watch the skilful undetected holding of his player, all these things contribute to helping free up his teammates to clear the ball...... all can contribute to the start of an attacking move. Sure he can do all the negative things, and there have been many woeful kicks and hand passes we have all seen and cringed at. However, most of those happen when he is under extreme pressure. Plenty of other players commit similar boo, boos under pressure.

I'm glad you 'skeptic' can remember the young attacking Geary as I sure can. Actually Nate Wright seems similar to Gears. Wright caused everyone excitement when he first started, then his attacking style and kamacarzi style of play made him reinvent ways to injure himself........ many weeks out due to injuries, seasons in the magoos, then when he gets his games at senior level, his skills seem to have dropped off in the pace of the game at senior level.. So many on here have had Wright on the delist, trade table for the past two seasons. Now after a couple of games in a new position & role, Wright is a 'required' player, so many so quick to judge, then so quick to turn!

Love Gears and what he brings to our team. Even Richo in an interview a few weeks ago on the saints.com site said, 'I sometimes close my eyes when Geary kicks the ball'!!!!!!! Good one Richo - don't we all? But then we all close our eyes when our great champion, Reiwoldt, kicks for goal, don't we?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Geary (IMHO) is a vital cog in the Saints M/C! Simple as that. After the game saving spoil last week, we get two excellent goals against the Dees. Heart and soul of the team!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
stonecold
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:Geary (IMHO) is a vital cog in the Saints M/C! Simple as that. After the game saving spoil last week, we get two excellent goals against the Dees. Heart and soul of the team!
Yeap, that's why he's in the leadership group, enough said!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

stonecold wrote:If you bag him, you have No Idea about the game and should find a new sport/team!!!!!

You have no farking CLUE!!!!!
All I know is that you have no farking clue with what's going on at the club

stonecold
SS Life Member

LTN16 wrote:
stonecold wrote:If you bag him, you have No Idea about the game and should find a new sport/team!!!!!

You have no farking CLUE!!!!!
All I know is that you have no farking clue with what's going on at the club
what
You know nothing!!!!!

So Carlisle.didn't come?????

Nick will not Captain next.year?????

Tim's Nic name is Skunky?????

Ross Lyon doesn't coach the Dockers?????

What can you bring to the table Chief?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Yes "skeptic", many conveniently forget the 'young Geary', was extremely attacking, that was his problem, limited defensive side to his game - like many young players. Also his kicking wasn't poor. Then he had that horrific broken leg. When he came back from that, he was like Nathan Wright, kept inventing new ways to get injured. After his leg problems his kicking was not reliable, . and his attacking style of game changed, because he was made to take on a more defensive role, purely to get a game.

However people need to identify what they mean as attacking. Sometimes excellent defending can be attacking football, IMHO.

When I have the luxury of seeing Geary play live I closely watch his work on the field. Sure he lock's down on his immediate opponent. However he has the footy nous to identify when to run off his opponent to help out in another contest, then get back to cover his opponent. Now that is rather courageous & attacking as he is usually guarding a player who can instantly turn a game if they get loose.
Also many a time you will see him work up the wing, leaving his opponent, to a spot wher he closes down the avenue of 'out' for the opposition. He has the endurance to cover massive areas on the ground over a match. I'd love to know his GPS readings. Often when he goes on these 'sorties' up and across the ground, if his opponent goes with him, the opponent looks exhausted at a contest. In the same way (not as spectacularly I must admit) as Roo does, Gears works his opponent over with his aerobic capacity.
Just watch his body blocks when there are ball ups in his area, watch the little tap ons from under a pack, watch the crashing of packs, watch the skilful undetected holding of his player, all these things contribute to helping free up his teammates to clear the ball...... all can contribute to the start of an attacking move. Sure he can do all the negative things, and there have been many woeful kicks and hand passes we have all seen and cringed at. However, most of those happen when he is under extreme pressure. Plenty of other players commit similar boo, boos under pressure.

I'm glad you 'skeptic' can remember the young attacking Geary as I sure can. Actually Nate Wright seems similar to Gears. Wright caused everyone excitement when he first started, then his attacking style and kamacarzi style of play made him reinvent ways to injure himself........ many weeks out due to injuries, seasons in the magoos, then when he gets his games at senior level, his skills seem to have dropped off in the pace of the game at senior level.. So many on here have had Wright on the delist, trade table for the past two seasons. Now after a couple of games in a new position & role, Wright is a 'required' player, so many so quick to judge, then so quick to turn!

Love Gears and what he brings to our team. Even Richo in an interview a few weeks ago on the saints.com site said, 'I sometimes close my eyes when Geary kicks the ball'!!!!!!! Good one Richo - don't we all? But then we all close our eyes when our great champion, Reiwoldt, kicks for goal, don't we?
What a strange tone to your response "loris". Are you bothered about something?

Young Geary's disposal was still very much hit and miss back then. It was one of the bigger knocks of his game. In the 09 era however, whilst you "loris" noted his defensive game was "limited", I think the greater issue was that he had trouble adjusting to RL's very particular demands for structure. This was suggested a bit in "Inside the Bubble" that Lyon had expectations on where players would specifically stand or run to at stoppages.
As I'm sure most would agree, Jarryn's work rate both on and off the field has never been in question and even from his first few seasons he was regarded as one of the fitter guys at the club. Him, Robert Eddy and Andrew McQualter in particular led the field almost every year in the time trials.

I think people on this site are actually pretty clear in what they mean as "attacking football" and it's actually your own definition that is perhaps muddying the waters a little bit. Absolutely one can see Jarryn covering extra opponents to free up an extra man as having a positive impact, that's not exactly Geary being attacking.
Geary uses his own excellent fitness to his advantage regarding being accountable to his opponent, however as he demonstrated on the w/e if he himself can directly hurt the opposition, he would force his opponent to be accountable to him too, which in turn makes his primary job easier. Certainly nobody is suggesting that he needs to kick 2 goals every game. I said it was good to see him punish his opponent for being lazy; that comment appears to have rubbed you the wrong way. Personally I reckon it's better to take risks from time to time.

It's hard to u/s exactly what the contention of your first big paragraph is. All I've ever said about Geary, including on the other thread, is that the major knock on his game on this forum is that at times he can spray passes badly and that continue to be an issue until he either improved in this regard or another player with equal defensive capability and better disposal took his spot. Nobody has ever suggested that Geary is the only player on the list that has ever had poor disposal at times but btwn having a number of players with suspect disposal and ability to break lines, the issue with Geary was highlighted more than it would at say a Hawthorn. This persecutory theme has always baffled me. What's wrong with saying player x can improve this.
As it turns out, Geary's disposal has been much more reliable over the last 2 months and the criticism has slowed or stopped completely. Even his harshest critics are conceding their error now.

You "loris" have an odd impression of Wright as well. Whilst he is currently in the top 22, I would say that the masses are far from suggesting that he is a "required player". We all love his attack on the ball/man but many have concerns about his speed and disposal too and in several team selection threads he is considered an "at risk" player to be dropped. Given that he is currently competing with players like Eli, Lonie, Sinclair, Minch etc for a forward role I would suggest that he is far from secure though personally I'm a big fan.

Perhaps you may consider that not all fans are as fickle as you suggest and are capable of seeing both good and bad aspects of a player's game. Not every criticism is a death sentence after all

Joe Bloggs
Club Player

The Ol gal seems to have her knickers in a knot.

1965 Saint
Club Player

That is very sexist. Loris is entitled to express her view without that condescending response

freely
SS Hall of Fame

1965 Saint wrote:That is very sexist. Loris is entitled to express her view without that condescending response
Assume you're referring to the 'knickers' remark - in which case +1

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Seriously

Sexist or a typical PC response trying to fly another's flag

How about letting Loris decide on whether or not she is offended.... Not a 'do gooder'

Btw
I fully agree with her comments... On the money

I watched Geary in the VFL from 07-09 and he was a ball winning mid/HB

freely
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Seriously

Sexist or a typical PC response trying to fly another's flag

How about letting Loris decide on whether or not she is offended.... Not a 'do gooder'
How about letting anyone who reads these boards decide whether they're offended by the remarks posted on them without getting yet another put down from you. Seriously.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I was blown away by that spoil V the Bombers. An act of pure courage and one of determination to prevent a certain goal. Personally, I thought it was my highlight of what was otherwise a fairly ordinary day for us. One of the success stories of the year in my book.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Joe Bloggs wrote:The Ol gal seems to have her knickers in a knot.
Hey Joe......... get your little witticism of a saying correct........... The correct terminology is, "knickers in a twist".!!!!!

Oh dearie, the youth of today are rather ignorant of how sayings originated, & are unable to use them correctly.

My educated guess, 'knickers in a knot' would be a bastardisation of the old British saying "knickers in a twist", American hegemony is such a troubling thing IMHO, causing some youth not think, just blindly blabber forth things they don't understand......... so sad, but I won't get my knickers in a twist over it :P :wink:

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hey Loris!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: nice one! :lol: :lol: :lol:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

1965 Saint wrote:That is very sexist. Loris is entitled to express her view without that condescending response
plus one.

leave off with the sexist ageist comments please.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
I watched Geary in the VFL from 07-09 and he was a ball winning mid/HB
Did someone suggest he wasn't?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You skeptic in the long winded response to Loris...

And others

Let Loris get offended, she doesn't need you to be offended for her... No shrinking violet is she...

But I suppose some like to try and sound like moral guardians of what's PC...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:You skeptic in the long winded response to Loris...

And others

Let Loris get offended, she doesn't need you to be offended for her... No shrinking violet is she...

But I suppose some like to try and sound like moral guardians of what's PC...
Mmm... I don't think i did. It seems as though you're just saying words.

That's the problem with he said she said on a forum. The words are there to check.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If only I could be bothered quoting or arguing the point much other than to say this

You mention that Gearys attacking ability centres around his ability to provide cover and free up team mates to attack and be used offensively... And if Geary used his run to create and win the pill it would advance his game.

Loris and I were saying that he was actually a ball winning Mid/HB when he was drafted and in his first few years at the club.

Other interesting things I note
You mention Geary struggled in 09 dealing with Ross Lyons Game Plan
However he played 15 games in 09 the first 14 rounds until injured. He amassed 20 disposals a number of times, he averaged half a goal a game and was a rising star nomination given his consistency. He was the youngest player on the list getting a regular game in 09. Only injury cost him a spot in that finals campaign

Whilst Eddy and Jarryn were among the elite runners McQualter was never among the fittest group, in fact struggled in time trials. One of the reasons he was dropped to the rookie list was his lack of ability to run during games as a mid. As his tank was not that big. He then dropped a bit of weight and played as a tagger and then as a small forward.

Wright is one of the quickest guys on the list. His straight line speed over 20-50m would be elite. Not sure why anyone would have concern over his leg. His disposal and a number of injuries has held him back.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:If only I could be bothered quoting or arguing the point much other than to say this

You mention that Gearys attacking ability centres around his ability to provide cover and free up team mates to attack and be used offensively... And if Geary used his run to create and win the pill it would advance his game.

Loris and I were saying that he was actually a ball winning Mid/HB when he was drafted and in his first few years at the club.

Other interesting things I note
You mention Geary struggled in 09 dealing with Ross Lyons Game Plan
However he played 15 games in 09 the first 14 rounds until injured. He amassed 20 disposals a number of times, he averaged half a goal a game and was a rising star nomination given his consistency. He was the youngest player on the list getting a regular game in 09. Only injury cost him a spot in that finals campaign

Whilst Eddy and Jarryn were among the elite runners McQualter was never among the fittest group, in fact struggled in time trials. One of the reasons he was dropped to the rookie list was his lack of ability to run during games as a mid. As his tank was not that big. He then dropped a bit of weight and played as a tagger and then as a small forward.

Wright is one of the quickest guys on the list. His straight line speed over 20-50m would be elite. Not sure why anyone would have concern over his leg. His disposal and a number of injuries has held him back.
On your first point... Um NO. loris said that. That was her way of describing his attacking ability. I just added that by "creating more" he would up his game further.
Shocking and controversial view I know. Nobody has argued against the mid comment.

Is it worth going on?

So he played 15 games in 09. He played 10 games in 08, was dropped for the finals in 2010, and 11 games in 2011. He cemented his spot in the team after RL left and has more or less been consistently in the team since then.
That was certainly when Sainter K predicted it

Seems like your just arguing for arguments sake now. I am not your enemy BM. For what it's worth, I don't know what was so horribly offensive in my initial post on Geary that prompted loris' clearly irritable response. It seems pretty clear to me at least that some ill feeling has carried over from another thread.

Carrying on, You're right about McQualter as I reached for an extra example and got it wrong but that doesn't detract from my point that Geary has consistently been one of the fittest guys at the club for a long time.

On Wright... Many ppl on this forum has questioned his speed. That's not really a me thing

Like I said... Words BM

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Are you discounting his injuries?

He broke a leg

He's had a fracture of the cheekbone.

He's had a quad.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Gears was great last week (I gave him 4 votes) but one game where he came out of his defensive shell a bit doesn't a summer make. My issues with him are still his decision making and execution with the ball and inability and unwillingness to take the riskier penetrating kicks. Joey did one on the back flank where out of the blue he shot it inside with a really risky kick and my heart went in my mouth thinking "what is he doing". But he landed the kick and suddenly we had the ball in the middle of the ground and the oppo completely out of position. If he turned it over we'd be screaming at him but he backs himself knowing it benefits the team to take those high risk/high reward kicks - you have to have teeth from the back to cut through the presses otherwise you get pinned in like against WC and Adelaide. But we can't rely on just Joey doing it - thats my probs with Gears - he should be doing some of that riskier stuff.

Our last flag shot was derailed by having too many players who couldn't use the ball well from the back. I wanted Gears to at least try and kick flatter and more penetrating but he's gone back to very safe kicking and focusing on a lock down role. He'll get plaudits but I don't know how much it benefits us long-term. I've got big hopes for White and Rice who look to be able to really use the footy well with penetration and creativity. IF they can also develop as good defenders you get the best of both worlds.

Its great that Gears is showing strong leadership and directions on the field. You need someone yelling and directing traffic. But I'm not sure he has really high footy IQ. How do we know he's directing intelligently and creatively out there? He doesn't strike me as a creative sort of player, more a jobber.

carn_sainter
Club Player

Bluthy wrote: Its great that Gears is showing strong leadership and directions on the field. You need someone yelling and directing traffic. But I'm not sure he has really high footy IQ. How do we know he's directing intelligently and creatively out there? He doesn't strike me as a creative sort of player, more a jobber.
Probably because all of the coaches and other Saints players on the field express how good he is at it, how beneficial his input, leadership and direction are and how he keeps getting voted into the leadership group.

His IQ seems pretty good in his ability to pick the right situations to leave his man and help others defending or block space.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Making the trip up to Wessy to take his nephews Under 12 side for training Wednesday night. Hope he has a warm jacket or maybe two. :D

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Proving to be a brick wall one on one.

Win's contests.

Using the ball well.

There is no argument.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....