Lonie .

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

felix
Club Player

Lonie .

Tenacious character , tries so hard ., A for effort, big heart, has great skills , but will he make it, I'm unsure. Perhaps he will always be easily pushed or shoved off the ball. Jury is out , not sure he will make it.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lonie .

Doesn't make good team choices yet. Snaps wildly when he should be looking to give it off. Composure may come with time.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
lintonstreet
Club Player

Has not had a great 2nd year.

I'm worried for him as his tackles are just not sticking at all and his goal kicking has been very poor.

Jury is out

damienc
Club Player

Sorry to say but Caleb Daniel would have been a far better choice. But that is life and just my opinion. Having said that I hope Jack can find his feet. He has some silky skills.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Will make it easily. High end talent.

He played 19 games year 1 and made an impact as a small forward

This year he and Sinclair have been dominant midfielders in the VFL as second year players.

He will be a classy and dangerous forward pocket/hff within 2 years

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Will make it easily. High end talent.

He played 19 games year 1 and made an impact as a small forward

This year he and Sinclair have been dominant midfielders in the VFL as second year players.

He will be a classy and dangerous forward pocket/hff within 2 years

lefty
Club Player

Classic SS.... he will be fine, I've seen what he can do.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

He'll be a good player for us for a long time (as will Sinclair). Give him time. The time he has spent in the midfield for Sandi this year will only make him a better player in the long run.
I think it's wrong to pigeonhole him as a forward. Good teams need many guys who can go through the middle, Lonie will be one of them.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
saintbob
SS Life Member

IMHO he'll be offered up as steak knives, if we try and land a big name recruit.

Weller, Gresham, Billings are all way ahead of him, as is Sinclair IMO.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Gresham is ahead of him this year... If Gresham has a down year next year, he might be 'steak knives'

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

FFS - Why the needs to have all of our young kids playing in the seniors - leave them at Sandy - get them game tough, get them footy smart, bring them into the team - make them guns - strong teams are teams that can survive without their first and second year draft choices having to play outstanding roles.

A perfect example would be Billings, if he was at Hawthorn, he would have played two years at Box Hill Hawks, honed his skills and smashed on the big stage - instead at St Kilda, we needed him to come in and make an immediate impact. I long for the day that we use our draft picks as 'top up' players not hero players.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Sainter_Dad wrote:FFS - Why the needs to have all of our young kids playing in the seniors - leave them at Sandy - get them game tough, get them footy smart, bring them into the team - make them guns - strong teams are teams that can survive without their first and second year draft choices having to play outstanding roles.

A perfect example would be Billings, if he was at Hawthorn, he would have played two years at Box Hill Hawks, honed his skills and smashed on the big stage - instead at St Kilda, we needed him to come in and make an immediate impact. I long for the day that we use our draft picks as 'top up' players not hero players.
Great post SD

Always loyal
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Gresham is ahead of him this year... If Gresham has a down year next year, he might be 'steak knives'
Looking forward to see how Gresham goes next year. It will be a good test.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

If Gresham is the 'steak knives' in any deal in the next 10 years - I will NOT be renewing my membership!!!!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Good player but simply too small. So many times his tackles are shrugged off and the opposition player gets the disposal off. Must hit the gym and the protein powder in the off season. But that won't help his height deficit.
Stephen Milne was a freak talent in retrospect. Frequently outmarked and out muscled bigger players and laid great tackles. Lonie while evasive has not got those other attributes.

Nee!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Good player but simply too small. So many times his tackles are shrugged off and the opposition player gets the disposal off. Must hit the gym and the protein powder in the off season. But that won't help his height deficit.
Tony Liberatore - Height/Weight 163 cm / 78 kg - Career tackles 1,200 + at an average of 4.4 per game

Jack Lonie - Height/Weight 174 cm / 70 kg

Why does he have to be too small to tackle? I know that the guys he is tackling are also bigger than Libba's days - but it is kind of defeatist to say - Too small - can't tackle - Just needs to improve technique and get strong - not necessarily big - but strong.

― Aristophanes

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Concerned he will fall away like Templeton or become an 'almostt' like Minchington. Haven't given up on him, but he's done nothing in his senior games this year

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Isn't he 19?

We were saying the exact same thing about Sinclair/Sinclair last year as we are Gresham this years

You never judge a young player until they have done 3 years in the system. 100% Lonie will make it... If not at StK it'll be elsewhere...

Minchington is a good back up

Eli is a very good player, a hard running mid. Judging him his a bit rough... He had a spiral fracture of the humerus year 1

Sinclair has great skills, but lacks work rate