How well are our trade negotiations going?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

How well are our trade negotiations going?

I am sure the club is playing a steady hand of poker, but I still think it's a legitimate question to ask under the circumstances.

Here are the names we are linked to and my understanding of the state of play but happy to be corrected and/or contradicted.

1) Laverde. Almost certainly staying with the Bombers who have matched whatever we offered the kid.

2) O'Meara says he wants to be a Hawk. They will struggle to make that work. So will probably end up at Essendon.

3) Caleb Marchbank. We really want him but the Blues are way ahead of us. Will probably go to Carlton.

4) Jack Steele, We also want him. He's had successful foot surgery but is wavering on a move away from the Giants. Looking unlikely.

Don't want to be sounding negative but you would have to say we are not looking that flash in terms of landing what we are chasing..

Mind you it is still early days and anything could happen. But, like I said, you would hope the club has quite a bit still up its sleeve. I certainly hope so.

Joe Bloggs
Club Player

Re: How well are our trade negotiations going?

Good questions ..we may end up with zip.

The Recruit
Club Player

damienc wrote:I am sure the club is playing a steady hand of poker, but I still think it's a legitimate question to ask under the circumstances.

Here are the names we are linked to and my understanding of the state of play but happy to be corrected and/or contradicted.

1) Laverde. Almost certainly staying with the Bombers who have matched whatever we offered the kid.

2) O'Meara says he wants to be a Hawk. They will struggle to make that work. So will probably end up at Essendon.

3) Caleb Marchbank. We really want him but the Blues are way ahead of us. Will probably go to Carlton.

4) Jack Steele, We also want him. He's had successful foot surgery but is wavering on a move away from the Giants. Looking unlikely.

Don't want to be sounding negative but you would have to say we are not looking that flash in terms of landing what we are chasing..

Mind you it is still early days and anything could happen. But, like I said, you would hope the club has quite a bit still up its sleeve. I certainly hope so.
what is your mail on steele not wanting to leave giants? did u make it up? Also the Laverde situation? How do you now the bombers are matching it?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We will land 1 of those

And an unexpected

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Its not even week 2 of the finals yet. Long time to go. Another 8 weeks or so for things to sort out.
A bit early for a progress report imo. Maybe we should re-assess in mid October.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:

Where has this information come from?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Its not even week 2 of the finals yet. Long time to go. Another 8 weeks or so for things to sort out.
A bit early for a progress report imo. Maybe we should re-assess in mid October.
Agree. Just need a Vic club or Adelaide to stop Sydney or GWS winning the flag is the first step

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

If Steele's foot is worse than reported there is a chance we will pass - but still believe we will get a mid and key defender. There is a long long way to go before the trade period and things change rapidly in those 3 weeks. Have faith Sainters!

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

I think these are Damien's thoughts more than anything else??

Would be shocked if we didn't land Steele and at least one other player. March bank would be good.

Would love to skunk the bombers on laverde too

#1 Ryder fan
saynta
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:I am sure the club is playing a steady hand of poker, but I still think it's a legitimate question to ask under the circumstances.

I think our recruiting guys are pretty sweet, building the list, buzzing about. Have a little faith, :wink: :wink:
Last edited by saynta on Wed 14 Sep 2016 5:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joe Bloggs wrote:Good questions ..we may end up with zip.
Nah. See above post

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:If Steele's foot is worse than reported there is a chance we will pass - but still believe we will get a mid and key defender. There is a long long way to go before the trade period and things change rapidly in those 3 weeks. Have faith Sainters!
Steele's foot is fine. He may even play again this year.

Captain Impossible
Club Player

It would be really useful if these kinds posts were backed up by some kind of evidence, or even sources. If you have info, why not share it (i.e. Laverde and Steele)? If not, just state that it is your opinion.

Speculation is rife this time of year, some transparency would be really welcome.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Last year we had pick 14 (which became pick 18 or thereabouts) and picked up Gresh who looks a very likely type. A couple years earlier we picked up Dunstan at 18 & Acres at 19.

I hope we hang onto our first pick this year and back our recruiting staff again.

I'm not a big fan of trading first and second round picks for guys from other clubs that have not lived up to their potential based on U18 form. No issue with using 3rd round picks - they are hit and miss anyways

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
damienc
Club Player

By the way, if I am wrong on any or all of this I will be a very,very,very happy St Kilda supporter. In fact I would dearly love to be totally wrong about all of it.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Would be shocked if we didn't land Steele and at least one other player. March bank would be good. Would love to skunk the bombers on laverde too
They're all too high-profile IMO (not in the sense that they're heroes or anything, but that they have inflated trade value due to perception).

I'd rather we shuffled picks around and continued to sources talent from between the cracks of the system; we've done superbly from that.

We haven't done so well when we've forked out a big pick.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ok let's work down this list off latest updates..

OMeara - no
Laverde - no
March bank - no

Still clubs having a crack as it should..

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We're being used

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Despite finishing just out the 8 we still don't seem to be attractive to come to.
All focus onto Weller and Steele

Nee!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Marchbank was always going to Carlton
Laverde would have been one out of the box, and those turds would have made it near impossible to get the deal done, anyway. Glad we're not dealing with that scheister Dodoro
O'Meara has a huge ???? over him, and if he wants the Hawks, he can have them

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

how much have carlton benefitted from SOS? Obviously had a very positive influence on the GWS boys.
Just goes to show how important one cog in the machine can be.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

SOS returning to Carlton in a list development role was the best thing that's happened to the Blues in a long time. Well respected. he worked with us for a while, didn't he.

damienc
Club Player

There's been a changing of the guard in more ways than one. The Hawks have been bundled out but they have set themselves a monumental task in the off season trade. They are chasing O'Meara, Mitchell and Vickery. On paper you would have to say they are dreaming to think they can land all three but the consensus among footy writers is giving them more than a fair chance. So far the Saints have landed none of their targets. I don't want to sound negative nor do I want to be a doomsdayer. But it has gone very quiet as far as we are concerned. No rumours. No gossip. No nothing. Maybe that is a good thing because we are about to land a prize scalp???

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Wait for trade week mate. We are still a few weeks off!!

#1 Ryder fan
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:There's been a changing of the guard in more ways than one. The Hawks have been bundled out but they have set themselves a monumental task in the off season trade. They are chasing O'Meara, Mitchell and Vickery. On paper you would have to say they are dreaming to think they can land all three
The trick for the Hawks is not landing all 3, but landing all 3 without costing them a lot of valuable players. Their first round picks from this year and next are too high IMO to get both JOM and Mitchell. So they will need to give up probably two good players and not just GOPS. Vickey may be a FA unless the hawks match the contract then forcing the Hawks to trade.

Also if the Swans say win the flag, then Mitchell may well find staying at the Swans more attractive than now moving to the sliding Hawks. The Hawks group of young players is actually not that flash when compared to the young talent at the Swans. The rumoured cash that the Hawks can pay is not actually much higher than what he is offered by the Swans.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 20 Sep 2016 8:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....