If The Dogs Can Do It. So Can We

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

If The Dogs Can Do It. So Can We

Something extraordinary happened yesterday.

One of the greatest Grand Finals you are ever likely to see was played out

But, to be honest I am still struggling to mentally process what I saw with my own eyes. How does a team, going into the finals in seventh place on the ladder, win a premiership?

It’s insane. It’s unheard of. It’s unbelievable.

I personally did not think the Doggies would last beyond the elimination final. Yet they managed to beat the Weagles on their own turf. Not only beat them. The Doggies smashed them.

Then, to come up against the reigning Premiers and make them look slow and old again, is unbelievable.

I honestly thought they would be cooked when they had to play a third tough match against a team made up (with emphasis on made up) from the very best young footballers in the country. But the Doggies found a way to win. It was close but a win is a win.

And then to meet and beat the minor premiers who boast the best midfield in the country that is the stuff of fairytales.

So why am I saying all of this?

For the simple reason that there are so many similarities in the scraggers narrative compared to the St Kilda football club.

Both clubs had one premiership to their name in more than half a century. Both clubs have inspirational coaches who can bring out the best in their players. Both have inspirational leaders. Such as Bob Murphy and Nick R.

Both clubs have a mixture of older, experienced heads and young emerging stars. Except in the case of the Dogs those young emerging stars aren’t emerging anymore. They’ve arrived. The caterpillar is now a butterfly.

Take Tom Boyd. Everyone thought the Dogs were crazy recruiting a relatively unproven number one draft pick and then paying him a million dollars a season.

And of course when he didn’t fire immediately the critics and the naysayers were out in force and doing their worst.

Don’t forget at that time the Saints had as much interest in Boyd as the Doggies. But we were not prepared to pay him a mill and they were. I have no regrets from our point of view as a football club, but the point is, we saw his potential just like they did. We have Paddy McCartin. He could easily be as good as Boyd maybe even better.

Tom Boyd certainly earned his paycheck when it counted the most. He was one of the reasons why they won yesterday. No doubt about that in my mind.

My point is if the Dogs can do it so can the Saints. There should be no ceilings on what we can achieve. No time frames. I also know that if the Dogs are now the benchmark for the competition then they are certainly beatable. We beat them in 2016 as one sage like forum member pointed out in a thread. In fact the Bulldogs more often than not find us to be a difficult proposition.

We can learn from this. The Dogs as a footy team believe in themselves and each other. They believe in their coach and their supporters. If all of that rubs off on us, as it should, and our emerging talent arrives sometime in the next two or three years, or maybe as early as 2017 ( And we have as much talent in my view as they do) then it might be the Saints holding court at the G on that one day in October and at the same time adding a premiership cup to the trophy cabinet.

I would like to make just one more observation. I notice some of the members of our forum are bitter and twisted about the Doggies victory. I feel sorry for them. Yesterday was one of the greatest sporting stories you are ever likely to witness. It had everything. History was rewritten, then the extraordinary and unselfish gesture by coach Beveridge, to personally acknowledge a club legend. Certainly one of the greatest Grand Finals I have ever seen. Come to think of it. 1966 is up there with the best. And I saw that one. Believe me I’ve seen plenty. I’m an old bastard.

Footscray is not a club of silver tails. You won’t see any of them or their supporters dining in the long room at the MCG. Their members are not stockbrokers or captains of industry.

Bulldog supporters are ordinary, working Australians. The West in Melbourne is Struggle Street. The Western Bulldogs have struggled to survive. They have waited sixty-two years to win a Premiership.

They have my congratulations and I begrudge them nothing.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: If The Dogs Can Do It. So Can We

damienc wrote:

I would like to make just one more observation. I notice some of the members of our forum are bitter and twisted about the Doggies victory. I feel sorry for them.
Yes "damienc", don't they realise that the emotions of envy, hate, bitterness etc., can be very detrimental to one's health if one allows such emotions to consume them too often?

Maybe damienc, it's only 'old ba$tards and b1tches" like us, who have rode the highs and lows of a very long life, we have the wisdom to cast such negative emotions aside and are always prepared to enjoy the moment of others joy and happiness??

Just loved the rest of your post too, you old ba$tard!!!!!! :P :P

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

What was so extraordinary about it?

We've played in 3 GFs , North a few flags and recently prelims, the Dogs have played in 3 prelims.

Aside from Richmond, the AFL has been a fairly even comp.

The recent failed strategy by the AFL meant that Hawthorn were able to pluck good players from clubs and of course the COLA rorts and Brisbane salary cap bonus created anomalies for the benefiting clubs - but aside from that the AFL has always been pretty even.

Not talking about the Mickey mouse VFL, talking about the AFL.

The Bulldogs drafted heavily, then sacked a 'development coach' for a motivator. Poached a multiple premiership player and no. 1 pick and fluked an injury riddled team on GF day.

They pretty much did what 2-3 teams do every year which is get it all right at the right time. And what one team does every year - and that's do it slightly better than the other team on GF day.

Its not overly amazing.

George27
Club Player

Excellent post, Damienc. You too , Loris. I am pleased for the Dogs, and take some heart and hope from their achievements. I recall vividly the thrill of '66, and the many disappointments since. I am surprised that some of this forum have been extremely critical of those of us who take some positives from yesterday's game. I actually went to the Dogs v Hawks final a fortnight ago and enjoyed the game. Is that a sin ? I think not.
I reckon yesterday will help our players realise that we can do it too.

damienc
Club Player

loris wrote:
damienc wrote:

I would like to make just one more observation. I notice some of the members of our forum are bitter and twisted about the Doggies victory. I feel sorry for them.
Yes "damienc", don't they realise that the emotions of envy, hate, bitterness etc., can be very detrimental to one's health if one allows such emotions to consume them too often?

Maybe damienc, it's only 'old ba$tards and b1tches" like us, who have rode the highs and lows of a very long life, we have the wisdom to cast such negative emotions aside and are always prepared to enjoy the moment of others joy and happiness??

Just loved the rest of your post too, you old ba$tard!!!!!! :P :P

:D :D :D :D :D

I love the saints!
Club Player

I guess that at 30 I am one of the younger members here. All I can say is that I too am pleased and happy for the Dogs, their club and fans!!! It has most certainly given me a huge amount of hope that we too can win the flag. I could not help but draw parallels with the team that won yesterday and I know that we have some stars in the making and will be made next year. Our time is now and will be for the next 5 or so years.

With some astute recruiting, belief and a never say die spirit (which this group already has) we will soon have a second flag in our keeping.

And one more thing. GO SAINTS!!!

In STKFC we trust.
saints66
Club Player

great post @damienc, sums up my feelings

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

It actually wasn't a great Grand Final, high pressure and exciting yes, however skill levels were deplorable.

Anyhow, I was gutted. Not out of jealousy, good luck to Bulldogs supporters, we'd be certainly gleefully taking the Premiership if it were us. I found I was angry at my Club.

The first thing I remembered was the look on Lenny Hayes' face when the siren went in the 2010 replay. The look on BJ's face came next.

I remembered hearing about Stephen Milne wailing in the rooms after the 2009 GF.

I remembered the idiots who ran onto the ground when the G Train kicked his 100th in the 2004 Prelim, killing our momentum.

I remembered our incompetent training services in 2005 which cost us a flag.

I remembered not really playing a competitive game between Round 14 and the Prelim in 2009, because we were too good - and I reckon that killed us in the end.

The 2 years wasted with the appointment of Watters. I didn't even get to 1997.

I think that the St Kilda Football Club will find that as of about 5.00pm yesterday their loyal fan base instantly lost a lot of patience.

We're currently on the right track and there better not be any f*** ups from now. If Richo doesn't become only the second Coach in our history to have more than a five year tenure, then I would consider that an unforgivable f*** up. We've got a solid, competent administration for the first time I can remember. Any rolling of the Board ala 2007 would be an unforgivable f*** up.

Finally, I agree that this year was all about development and finals weren't a priority. However, I'm not interested in that crap next year. There is no reason why we shouldn't contend. Let see if we can at least do it for Riewoldt, I'm sure he hasn't given up on one - that wouldn't be in his DNA.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Nice post LL

Love to see Rooey get one....

“Yeah….nah””
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote:Nice post LL

Love to see Rooey get one....
Yep, that oughta be our mission.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The bye week got them past week 1.

In the granny Sydney were awful. Along with the umps.

That's why they fluked the flag from 7th.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:The bye week got them past week 1.

Dennis Cometti pretty much said as much at the end of the coverage.

Bulldogs were a much better team than your average 7th placed side. Only a few games off top position

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SuperSaint66
Club Player

saints66 wrote:great post @damienc, sums up my feelings
+1

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Thread title ...could say that for all clubs
No relevance

Geelong/St Kilda teams (2009) imo would have accounted for both teams yesterday

Bulldogs right time right place

Low standard

So frustrating

saint4life
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:

Dennis Cometti pretty much said as much at the end of the coverage.

Bulldogs were a much better team than your average 7th placed side. Only a few games off top position
Finally enough, only a few games off 9th too!

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

chook23 wrote:Thread title ...could say that for all clubs
No relevance

Geelong/St Kilda teams (2009) imo would have accounted for both teams yesterday
Spot on, and they would have done so with ridiculous ease, 10 goals +

damienc
Club Player

[quote="chook23"]Thread title ...could say that for all clubs
No relevance

Not sure you are right about that.

But even if you are, the only club I'm interested in, the only club worth talking about, the only club that has any prospect of fulfilling that brief is St Kilda IMO.

And I hope deep down it's your opinion too.

So I guess relevance really depends on your perspective.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

We beat the Dogs last time we played them and I fancy our chances against them again next season.

We match up pretty well on them and troubled quite a few teams this season.

It's just a case of, as someone said earlier, being in the right place at the right time. Luck comes into the equation believe it or not.

What you don't want is bad luck and we've had our fair share. These things tend to balance out over time so next time we contend look out.

Sanctorum
Club Player

A terrific post by @damienc and I totally agree that St Kilda have the potential to do in 2017 what the Dogs did last Saturday.

There are some interesting parallels between the Dogs and the Saints, not least that they have Senior Coaches forged in the same mould - quiet by nature, composed under duress, and highly respected by their players.

Just as the Dogs players unreservedly embraced their non-playing Captain, likewise our boys feel the same way about Nick Riewoldt should he not lead the team in 2017.

St Kilda have a strong core of young players who will either make their mark or build on next year, especially in the mid-field: Ross, Acres, Billings, Dunstan, Gresham, Weller, Newnes, Minchington, Wright, McKenzie, and even Sinclair and Lonie.

Can't think of a time when the Saints have had such depth of talent on their list, to complement a small group of senior players.

The only missing crucial ingredient and one that is quite elusive is that of belief - belief in their individual abilities, and that of their team mates. This then will be the real challenge for Richo and his assistants in 2017 - to emulate the Dogs' credo: "WHY NOT US???"

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

You still have a mouthful of sour grapes?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we can win it in the next 2-3 years.
Beating the Swans, Dogs & GWS wont be easy but it can be done.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote:A terrific post by @damienc and I totally agree that St Kilda have the potential to do in 2017 what the Dogs did last Saturday.

There are some interesting parallels between the Dogs and the Saints, not least that they have Senior Coaches forged in the same mould - quiet by nature, composed under duress, and highly respected by their players.

Just as the Dogs players unreservedly embraced their non-playing Captain, likewise our boys feel the same way about Nick Riewoldt should he not lead the team in 2017.

St Kilda have a strong core of young players who will either make their mark or build on next year, especially in the mid-field: Ross, Acres, Billings, Dunstan, Gresham, Weller, Newnes, Minchington, Wright, McKenzie, and even Sinclair and Lonie.

Can't think of a time when the Saints have had such depth of talent on their list, to complement a small group of senior players.

The only missing crucial ingredient and one that is quite elusive is that of belief - belief in their individual abilities, and that of their team mates. This then will be the real challenge for Richo and his assistants in 2017 - to emulate the Dogs' credo: "WHY NOT US???"
On the theme of the missing crucial ingredient of unwavering belief, I know why Roo is stepping down as official captain. He's taking on a far more important role in the next couple of years. He'll be our guru tugganmapudda and the spiritual force within the organisation to drive us to the promised land of premiership glory
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91775&p=1640460#p1640460

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

saints66 wrote:great post @damienc, sums up my feelings
+1

Always loyal
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

No more than happy to play off and beat the Bulldogs in a GF.

It's not the fairy tale GF anymore

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SainterSan

Sorry mate but I can't agree on what a great grand final it was. In fact there was nothing exceptional about it except the Dogs won. The best grand final of all time was the 2010 drawn grand final. Even Eddie McGuire said it was the greatest including most of the newspapers at the time.

Can we do it? Of course, as long as we believe in ourselves and we have a decent team and coach. 2017 will be the test - if we don't make the finals it's bye bye Alan Richardson. Personally if that happened I'd be happy to take back Ross Lyon.

We need to be honest with ourselves, St Kilda is now rock bottom of the list of Victorian teams with even the Dogs having more premierships. We also have the smallest membership three years running. The club needs success NOW or we may not survive. But if we can get the next flag in a hurry we'll be elevated off the bottom and on our way to being a legitimate footy power. I believe St Kilda will do a Hawthorn and dominate an entire decade ... when though I have no idea. We just need that next premiership to create the belief we need to take off.