Do clubs have to go to the draft?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Do clubs have to go to the draft?

I know this will never happen but, be that as it may, here goes!

I've read here that you HAVE to have 3 picks in the draft but, hypothetically, what if every player on your list are exactly the players you want, they are all happy with the coin they are on and are all happy to stay. Do you still have to delist 3 of them?

You say "of course" because we want to get a Fyfe or Martin, or whoever, but then the coin they would be on would disrupt the status quo.

So, do you have to go to the draft?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: Do clubs have to go to the draft?

From my understanding, yes, every AFL club has to participate in the Draft.

Saintly Passion
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:I know this will never happen but, be that as it may, here goes!

I've read here that you HAVE to have 3 picks in the draft but, hypothetically, what if every player on your list are exactly the players you want, they are all happy with the coin they are on and are all happy to stay. Do you still have to delist 3 of them?

You say "of course" because we want to get a Fyfe or Martin, or whoever, but then the coin they would be on would disrupt the status quo.

Yes you have to have 3 plcks in the draft EVERY year. Note though that a rookie upgrade equates to one pick

ace
Saintsational Legend

Jason Holmes has completed 3 years as an international rookie (rookie B).
He must now be placed on the senior list or go into the draft.

If St Kilda decide to retain Holmes and upgrade him they will only need to use 2 picks in the draft.
If the choose to delist Holmes they will need to use 3 picks in the draft.

At present St Kilda's picks are 23, 36, 50, 86 & 104.
Pick 23 may slip a few places.
Pick 36 and 50 will be thereabouts but 86 and 104 will improve.
However clubs are unlikely to use picks over 80, I don't expect the club will activate them by clearing space on the senior list..

We will probably surrender one of those first three picks in the Koby Stevens deal.
That will leave 2 picks at or below 50 both of which should be used in the draft.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

IMO as it stands we would not directly swap 50 for Stevens. We may swap 50 for Stevens and a pick back.

Dogggies look like trading two players, Saints have said that they are on the loo-out and so it is two early to know what picks will be there to swap and trade yet.

If say the Saints end up with a bunch of early picks then 50 may be surplus. With only 2 second rounders prior at present 50 would be valuable still to use directly.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Jason Holmes has completed 3 years as an international rookie (rookie B).

If St Kilda decide to retain Holmes and upgrade him they will only need to use 2 picks in the draft.

However clubs are unlikely to use picks over 80, I don't expect the club will activate them by clearing space on the senior list..

We will probably surrender one of those first three picks in the Koby Stevens deal.
That will leave 2 picks at or below 50 both of which should be used in the draft.
Good informative post.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
ace wrote:Jason Holmes has completed 3 years as an international rookie (rookie B).

Good informative post.
We can read general info on other websites but this forum is a standout with contributors like Ace who give us the specifics re our club.

Thanks Ace. Your posts on all threads relating to trading have been outstanding.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:I know this will never happen but, be that as it may, here goes!

Yes, and you still have to make at least three selections.

Each club must have at least three selections in the NAB AFL Draft.

http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-history
Jacks Back wrote:Do you still have to delist 3 of them?
If you mean primary list then it depends on how St Kilda club is managing its list.

Primary list size can be 38-40 players. Total players on all lists (ie including Cat A and B Rookies) is 47.

So in any given year depending on the mix of the 47 St Kilda may or may not have a minimum of 3 primarly list players to delist.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

With Steele, Stevens and Brown now all on board, combined with Carlisle and Freeman effectively 2017 players, I would really like if we could get a top 8 pick in 2016 to get one of the elite players on offer. No point paying "overs" though. At this stage one would guess that both the Saints and Hawks will finish just in the 8 or just out of it.

Hopefully GWS or Suns will find one of our two first rounders from 2017 attractive to their strategic list build plan so that we do a a deal that is good for us as there is no point paying overs as 2017 is meant to have good top end talent. Both our 2017 first picks you would guess at this stage would be fringe top 8 picks with the saints and Hawks both likely to finish