In afl there’s only one real type of pressure

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

In afl there’s only one real type of pressure

And that’s scoreboard pressure...and we are monumental failures in this area

All the other talk of pressure and saints footy etc is worthless and is both disengous to the aim of the game and disrespectful to us loyal supporters

Fact. If you can’t kick goals 35m out in afl you are not worth your spot. players missing consistently should be dropped

IMO our sole focus at training should be skills

#1 Ryder fan
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: In afl there’s only one real type of pressure

I think AR is under scoreboard pressure. One of the few thing left from this season is to watch how he copes. Starting to looked frayed? Hope he becomes proactive/insightful and stops being a commentator of the obvious. I wish him well and a good family support network.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

McGusto-

it's spelled "disingenuous" I think

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Indeed, Scoreboard pressure is King!

Our game last night was far from perfect, but we lost it for one reason and one reason only, poor kicking for goal.

It was our poor kicking for goal that gave Hawthorn a four goal head start. Despite our turnovers etc.

It was our poor kicking for goal that had us 11 points down at 3/4 time rather than 2 or 3 goals ahead.

It was our poor kicking for goal that stopped us from possibly getting the lead early in the last.

I suspect that if we'd kicked straight for goal throughout the match, the final quarter fade out wouldnt have happened.

There is nothing more dispiriting than controlling a match for large periods of time and not scoring, no reward for good play or effort!

takeaway
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:And that’s scoreboard pressure...and we are monumental failures in this area

All the other talk of pressure and saints footy etc is worthless and is both disengous to the aim of the game and disrespectful to us loyal supporters

Fact. If you can’t kick goals 35m out in afl you are not worth your spot. players missing consistently should be dropped

I agree. It has been our major problem for a couple of years now, even worse this year. It would be very demoralising for the players up the ground to see their hard work turn from a very gettable shot to a point or OOB.
In fact, it seems to be infectious all around the ground. It was like Hawthorn had 20 players on the field compared to our 16, as one or two of our players were always executing beautiful passes straight to a Hawks jumper.
I think if we can turn that around to even reasonable disposal and goal kicking, confidence will rise and we will be back in the game. We can certainly get the ball, but need poise when disposing of it.

Need training sessions to be more under pressure, including goal kicking, to improve poise under pressure. I don't know know whether that happens much, but I think there will be tough training sessions this week.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:And that’s scoreboard pressure...and we are monumental failures in this area

Exactly right. We are ok in most areas but monumental failures in this.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Indeed, Scoreboard pressure is King!

Our game last night was far from perfect, but we lost it for one reason and one reason only, poor kicking for goal.

It was our poor kicking for goal that gave Hawthorn a four goal head start. Despite our turnovers etc.

It was our poor kicking for goal that had us 11 points down at 3/4 time rather than 2 or 3 goals ahead.

It was our poor kicking for goal that stopped us from possibly getting the lead early in the last.

I suspect that if we'd kicked straight for goal throughout the match, the final quarter fade out wouldnt have happened.

There is nothing more dispiriting than controlling a match for large periods of time and not scoring, no reward for good play or effort!
Jack Billings is currently a liability to the team. We have other players on the list. It's simple. Replace him

Make him accountable. He is the main culprit. He probably has the worst percentage accuracy of any small forward in the AFL

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Anyone else remember this?
Billings played 16 senior games in his debut season after he was taken with the number three draft selection last November.
In round 14 against West Coast the talented left-footer earned a NAB Rising Star nomination after gathering 25 possessions at 100 per cent disposal efficiency
What happened?

one point
Club Player

takeaway wrote:

I agree. It has been our major problem for a couple of years now, even worse this year. It would be very demoralising for the players up the ground to see their hard work turn from a very gettable shot to a point or OOB.
In fact, it seems to be infectious all around the ground. It was like Hawthorn had 20 players on the field compared to our 16, as one or two of our players were always executing beautiful passes straight to a Hawks jumper.
I think if we can turn that around to even reasonable disposal and goal kicking, confidence will rise and we will be back in the game. We can certainly get the ball, but need poise when disposing of it.

Need training sessions to be more under pressure, including goal kicking, to improve poise under pressure. I don't know know whether that happens much, but I think there will be tough training sessions this week.
+1

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Watching the Hawks dob 4 goals from the 50m (one a snap) absolutely ripped the heart of us in that last quarter - totally gutting when we can't buy one from 25 out - shows our lack mental fortitude which to me more worrying than our current lack of skills

Watching Smith waltz to the 50 without any pressure thru the middle was shocking - Not even one guy tried to chase him down from the pack from where he burst out - they all stopped once he won the ball - it was all too easy because we found it all too hard - just too soft when it mattered most

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:Indeed, Scoreboard pressure is King!

Jack Billings is currently a liability to the team. We have other players on the list. It's simple. Replace him

Make him accountable. He is the main culprit. He probably has the worst percentage accuracy of any small forward in the AFL
Yet his goal in the last was his most difficult shot for the game. Was there ever a doubt he'd kick it? No, and then he hit it beautifully, went straight as an arrow over the 45 metre journey, almost effortless. Why? Because the game was dead and the pressure was off.

Jack is thinking too much, he needs to focus on the 1 percenters and not think when he kicks. Just play on instinct.