Lewis Pierce

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Re: Lewis Pierce

Pierce needs to play this week. We've got an opponent that rucks an undersized ruck and a midfielder. They don't care about hitouts. I don't think Hickey's form is anywhere near good enough that he's an auto-selection. We're in a development year and we really need to be rewarding in-form young players.

Of course, I expect Richo to play it safe and stick with Hickey. If asked, he'll say that Pierce has been pleasing, but still needs to work on a few things and put together a few really good weeks, or something like that. We'll bring in Carlisle for Brown and maybe White for somebody and stick with the same midfield that loses the clearances every single week.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Even though we lost the clearances, overall - we had 5 more centre clearances than Collingwood and had the same inside 50 numbers as Collingwood.
We just didn't have DeGoey or whatever his name is.
If we swapped Membrey with DeGoey - we would have beaten Collingwood.

Grundy did a lot more around the ground - his extra 10 possessions (over Hickey) were very handy.
He was like an extra midfielder - and this is where he hurt us most.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 6:29pm Even though we lost the clearances, overall - we had 5 more centre clearances than Collingwood and had the same inside 50 numbers as Collingwood.
We just didn't have DeGoey or whatever his name is.
If we swapped Membrey with DeGoey - we would have beaten Collingwood.

Grundy did a lot more around the ground - his extra 10 possessions (over Hickey) were very handy.
He was like an extra midfielder - and this is where he hurt us most.
Their ten extra free kicks certainly didn't hurt them either.

stonecold
SS Life Member

dragit wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 5:40pm
stonecold wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 5:32pm what ruck experience do you have?????
Mate, you need to give this ^ schtick away… this is a fan forum, not a big noting, self anointed, former players chat group.

No-one cares bud.
Not pumping up anyone's tyres, just pointing out that the poster clearly has no understanding of ruckwork after being challenged by him/her, I'm allowed to defend myself based on my experience!!!!!

Anyway, good to see Longer back in the best, again!!!!!

By the way Dud, St.Kilda's best year since Lyon was 2017 not 2016!!!!!

And Longer was 1st Ruck last year!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 4:43pm
Firstly, Longer came into the season underdone so shouldnt have played round one. I think you have to look at his 2017 form, particularly the back half of the year in which most conceded he went well.
I dont think we have a poor midfield as such. If you only look at stats, then our mids have matched most others for clearances and possessions.
I think the main knock on our mids is that they are one paced (except for Steven), overuse the ball by hand and in general, don't use the ball well.
Hickey in no way made it hard for Grundy, He had an absolute night out. Even the stats tell us that, but again Grundy is one of the better rucks getting around.
So heres the conundrum with Hickey (imho): He doesnt do well at ruck contests against most recognised ruckman (dont count Dawson Simpson, Stanley Etc)
But he also doesnt do well against the mobile rucks around the ground i.e. Grundy, Martin etc. either.

Agree that all the big fellas you mentioned cant be on the field at the same time. I said that i think Hickey can play FF but thats assuming Paddy needs a few weeks. I think if Longer drifts back and blocks space, perhaps we can replace brown with a more mobile option i.e. the Roberton type. And Membury to me is a mobile third forward so not a big lumbering type.
Either way it would be good to see Richo try something different.
Well if we’re going back to when players are playing well we should go back to Hickey’s 2016. Don’t forget he missed basically a whole year of AFL footy last year which I’m sure dented his development after a promising year before. And Longer is hardly knocking the door down in the 2s.

Our midfield might not be poor, but it’s not as good as Collingwoods. So with an inferior midfield, a non-competitive ruckman, and a opp ruckman having s night out, how did the clearance stats end up so close? I still stand by the fact I think Hickey is competitive and I believe the stats back that up. If he wasn’t the clearance stats should be a blow out.

I’m not trying to claim Hickey is close to AA or anything, but he’s the best option IMO at the moment. I was all aboard the Marshall train but it appears he needs a rest in the 2s. Bring Pierce in for him and let’s see how he goes, it’s not like we’re playing for much anymore this season.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 8:16pm
Mate, you need to give this ^ schtick away… this is a fan forum, not a big noting, self anointed, former players chat group.

No-one cares bud.
Not pumping up anyone's tyres, just pointing out that the poster clearly has no understanding of ruckwork after being challenged by him/her, I'm allowed to defend myself based on my experience!!!!!

Wrong! 2016 was a better year! Hickey was #1 ruck that year! Also this bollocks of being a past ruckman means nothing if you refuse to back up your claim, makes you sound like a 15 year old kid!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

No-one cares bud.

At this point champ my ruck experience is about as valid as yours on this anonymous Internet forum, especially considering some of the stuff you come up with.

Longer back in the best..? Looks to me like he didn’t even make it in to the top 6 for Sandy, a team who got done by 10 goals...

And I don’t know, even in your imaginary 80s ruck world, how 11th with 11 wins manages to be better than 9th with 12 wins... O_o

Oh, and just checked, it appears Grundy didn’t even get ONE VOTE in the coaches award, which you apparently hold in such high regard! Seems he didn’t have as good a game as you think :roll:
Last edited by The_Dud on Mon 21 May 2018 8:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

one point
Club Player

No-one cares bud.

Any chance you could mentor Hickey, Stonecold. His background is volleyball- no physical presence required there. Perhaps he needs someone to show him the ropes.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Apparently I might need to state my ruck credentials before posting this! I played all my junior footy in the ruck, had ruck coaching from Ron Alexander. Yes I am that old. But as junior I was an undersized ruckman with no “physical presence” but somehow rated by footballing experts. I played B grade amateurs while I was at Uni. Competing against ex AFL players like the Cordner boys who went back to Amateurs after the AFL. Held my own. But I am only 6’ 3” tall. I knew how to negate opponents / square the contest and then be helpful around the ground with quick hands, a good kick and a very very good shot on goal.

The way AFL is played now being the bash and crash ruckman (sorry Lazar) is not enough because the attacking spread and the defensive zone is compromised by lumbering giants that cannot keep up. The ruckman needs to be a contributing midfielder. Coaches are sending Fyfe and Dangerfield into the ruck to create the extra midfielder and release them from their tags. The ruck world has changed dramatically ... physical presence is not the sought after commodity it was even last year.

In terms of tap skill I rate Pierce as the best we have. Beautiful hands and needs to continue building his body. Add to that is he runs well and is wonderful kick. I am on the record as saying he will eventually be our best ruck but now I have been doubting he will get opportunities.

Bullocking work - Longer is the best we have.

Around the ground - Hickey is the best we have.

And Marshall is an extra tall mobile key position player (like Carlisle) and not a ruckman but would be a perfect relief ruckman / key forward who could go back when a key position player is injured or is being towelled up.

I have long advocated that we should play Hickey some weeks and Longer others (depending on their opponent) but now I like the Hickey / Marshall combination because both can play forward but the coaching panel needs to rotate them every 7 minutes so they don’t run out of puff.

If we use Longer then he need to play bash and crash against a strong ruckman for extended periods and can only play with a Marshall up forward to relieve for short periods - we lose run and spread with Longer but by games end the opposition ruckman is less effective - important if the game is on the line at the end.

As for Pierce - I still think he is going to be the best and should be given some games as #1 ruck at some stage to see what he can provide at AFL level.

Each ruckman has a role to play in a game plan. It is up to the selectors to get this right. I don’t think they have a clue about ruckman to be honest. And then the coaching panel doesn’t seem to get rotations right each week.

Then again my credentials probably don’t stack up either.

If the club can wait 5 more years - my son is showing good signs as a ruckman / forward and is already Jack Lonie’s height at 13. Smarter footballer than me and plays his ruck role against taller opponents in Division 1 SMJFL like an extra inside mid with excellent hands.

Does the AFL have a forum fan / son rule? If so ... problem solved!

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
stonecold
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 8:46pm

No-one cares bud.

At this point champ my ruck experience is about as valid as yours on this anonymous Internet forum, especially considering some of the stuff you come up with.

Longer back in the best..? Looks to me like he didn’t even make it in to the top 6 for Sandy, a team who got done by 10 goals...

And I don’t know, even in your imaginary 80s ruck world, how 11th with 11 wins manages to be better than 9th with 12 wins... O_o

Oh, and just checked, it appears Grundy didn’t even get ONE VOTE in the coaches award, which you apparently hold in such high regard! Seems he didn’t have as good a game as you think :roll:

There you go cocksmack, read it for yourself:

Richmond 3.3 (21) 4.7 (31) 10.9 (69) 14.14 (98)
Sandringham 2.1 (13) 3.6 (24) 4.6 (30) 4.9 (33)

GOALS Longer, Goddard, Weickhardt, Smith
BEST White, Longer, Seccull, Lamb, Paton

Also, 2017 was a much tougher draw than 2016!!!!!

Go away now!!!!!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Good post back from usa

loris
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 10:10pm

If the club can wait 5 more years - my son is showing good signs as a ruckman / forward and is already Jack Lonie’s height at 13. Smarter footballer than me and plays his ruck role against taller opponents in Division 1 SMJFL like an extra inside mid with excellent hands.

You’ve won me there BfromUSA........ I’ll keep my membership going for another 5 years to see BfromUSA Jnr in the Red, White & Black! :P

stonecold
SS Life Member

BackFromUSA wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 10:10pm Apparently I might need to state my ruck credentials before posting this! I played all my junior footy in the ruck, had ruck coaching from Ron Alexander. Yes I am that old. But as junior I was an undersized ruckman with no “physical presence” but somehow rated by footballing experts. I played B grade amateurs while I was at Uni. Competing against ex AFL players like the Cordner boys who went back to Amateurs after the AFL. Held my own. But I am only 6’ 3” tall. I knew how to negate opponents / square the contest and then be helpful around the ground with quick hands, a good kick and a very very good shot on goal.

The way AFL is played now being the bash and crash ruckman (sorry Lazar) is not enough because the attacking spread and the defensive zone is compromised by lumbering giants that cannot keep up. The ruckman needs to be a contributing midfielder. Coaches are sending Fyfe and Dangerfield into the ruck to create the extra midfielder and release them from their tags. The ruck world has changed dramatically ... physical presence is not the sought after commodity it was even last year.

In terms of tap skill I rate Pierce as the best we have. Beautiful hands and needs to continue building his body. Add to that is he runs well and is wonderful kick. I am on the record as saying he will eventually be our best ruck but now I have been doubting he will get opportunities.

And Marshall is an extra tall mobile key position player (like Carlisle) and not a ruckman but would be a perfect relief ruckman / key forward who could go back when a key position player is injured or is being towelled up.

I have long advocated that we should play Hickey some weeks and Longer others (depending on their opponent) but now I like the Hickey / Marshall combination because both can play forward but the coaching panel needs to rotate them every 7 minutes so they don’t run out of puff.

If we use Longer then he need to play bash and crash against a strong ruckman for extended periods and can only play with a Marshall up forward to relieve for short periods - we lose run and spread with Longer but by games end the opposition ruckman is less effective - important if the game is on the line at the end.

As for Pierce - I still think he is going to be the best and should be given some games as #1 ruck at some stage to see what he can provide at AFL level.

Each ruckman has a role to play in a game plan. It is up to the selectors to get this right. I don’t think they have a clue about ruckman to be honest. And then the coaching panel doesn’t seem to get rotations right each week.

We have had this discussion in PM before Simon, no need to justify it all over again, but if your gonna go down the sarcasm path, ( maybe you could get the forum fixed properly, as it seems to be still disappearing at times), no nastiness intended, just returning your serve!!!!!

Anyway, agree with most of your points, as discussed many moons ago, however, at only 6'3, you would only qualify as a midfielder in today's game!!!!! ;)

See, Spud, I'm not stuck in the 80's after all, anyway keep up the good work Simon, much appreciated!!!!!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 10:25pm
The_Dud wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 8:46pm

No-one cares bud.

There you go cocksmack, read it for yourself:

Richmond 3.3 (21) 4.7 (31) 10.9 (69) 14.14 (98)
Sandringham 2.1 (13) 3.6 (24) 4.6 (30) 4.9 (33)

GOALS Longer, Goddard, Weickhardt, Smith
BEST White, Longer, Seccull, Lamb, Paton

Also, 2017 was a much tougher draw than 2016!!!!!

Go away now!!!!!
The reality of Stonecold, where 11 is more than 12 and 9th is worse than 11th... all your ramblings are starting to make sense now!

VFL.com.au

Sandringham
Goal Kickers: D. Weickhardt, H. Goddard, N. Smith, B. Longer
Best Players: B. White, B. Seccull, J. Noone, D. Minchington, D. Joyce, B. Paton

6 - Paton
5 - Joyce
4 - Minchington
3 - Noone
2 - Seccull
1 - White

Looks like Longer couldn’t get into the top 6 of a VFL side who got done by 10 goals... quick, get him into the firsts!
Last edited by The_Dud on Tue 22 May 2018 12:01am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 10:27pm Good post back from usa
+1

stonecold
SS Life Member

Check the St.Kilda report Dud, as done by the coaching staff, it's on the Club Website!!!!!

As I said, go away youngster, mummy know your still up this late on a school night!!!!!

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 11:52pm
BackFromUSA wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 10:10pm Apparently I might need to state my ruck credentials before posting this! I played all my junior footy in the ruck, had ruck coaching from Ron Alexander. Yes I am that old. But as junior I was an undersized ruckman with no “physical presence” but somehow rated by footballing experts. I played B grade amateurs while I was at Uni. Competing against ex AFL players like the Cordner boys who went back to Amateurs after the AFL. Held my own. But I am only 6’ 3” tall. I knew how to negate opponents / square the contest and then be helpful around the ground with quick hands, a good kick and a very very good shot on goal.

We have had this discussion in PM before Simon, no need to justify it all over again, but if your gonna go down the sarcasm path, ( maybe you could get the forum fixed properly, as it seems to be still disappearing at times), no nastiness intended, just returning your serve!!!!!

Anyway, agree with most of your points, as discussed many moons ago, however, at only 6'3, you would only qualify as a midfielder in today's game!!!!! ;)

See, Spud, I'm not stuck in the 80's after all, anyway keep up the good work Simon, much appreciated!!!!!
Believe me we are working on trying to find the reason for the consistent forum outage and I am paying an expert to do it and bit by bit we are trying. It may mean another half day offline as they try to convert our 1.3 million posts into a different / more efficient database. Anyway we shall keep trying.

Isn’t funny that at 6’3” in the 60s I would’ve been a ruck and maybe into 70’s at least a second ruck but by the 80’s I was key position size and now I am a midfielders size. I keep telling my son to keep working on his midfield skills because EVERY player now needs to play as a midfielder.

By the way you would have loved the hip and shoulder he gave his opponent to clear the way for his onballer 2 weekends ago. Heard the smack on the sidelines. And this was huge for him because he is actually a gentle kid. But will do anything for his team mates.

Any time you want to give him ruck coaching he is an eager student. He is in V Squad with Scott Lucas and Paul Hudson gives good feedback from his work on his drills. Over the school holidays Shane Crawford is going to fix up his field kicking because he won’t listen to his old man.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

stonecold
SS Life Member

one point wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 8:56pm

No-one cares bud.

Any chance you could mentor Hickey, Stonecold. His background is volleyball- no physical presence required there. Perhaps he needs someone to show him the ropes.
You carnt teach heart and toughness, unfortunately Tom struggles in this department, the down side of trying to teach athletes the game of footy, its something that is in your DNA!!!!!

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 11:44pm

You’ve won me there BfromUSA........ I’ll keep my membership going for another 5 years to see BfromUSA Jnr in the Red, White & Black! :P
If the club had listened to you McGovern would already be in red white and black if my memory serves me correctly!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 12:08am Check the St.Kilda report Dud, as done by the coaching staff, it's on the Club Website!!!!!

As I said, go away youngster, mummy know your still up this late on a school night!!!!!
Are they the same coaches who keep picking Hickey and Marshall over Longer? 8-)

And isn’t 9.30 usually lights out at the home? :lol:

stonecold
SS Life Member

Good work with the young bloke Simon, you must be proud, Scotty Lucas wasn't the worst second/third/forward string ruckman either, so he should learn something there!!!!!

I have two of my own boys coming through, so I tend to give them advice on Ruckwork, but your right, they don't listen either, even though they know my CV, funny that!!!!!

Much appreciated the work with the forum, was just returning serve and providing a little humour, keep up the good work and good luck to the young fella!!!!!

loris
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 12:16am
loris wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 11:44pm

If the club had listened to you McGovern would already be in red white and black if my memory serves me correctly!
Yes that always sticks in my Craw BfromUSA.

I recently had Mc Govern’s then boss back at my home to do some more electrical work and we relived the time I had that young electrical apprentice Mc Governclambering around my roof top. I told S/S at that time what a nimble lad he was on my roof for such a gangly young man. I think that was 2010 and the Saints had chatted to him, the only Vic club to do so and he was hoping they might follow up & select him in the draft as we were a top team then. A real missed opportunity.

I can also recall Big Mart telling me he was too small to be a ruckman or key position player in the AFL........ sometimes I get it right. :lol:

one point
Club Player

stonecold wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 12:14am

No-one cares bud.

You carnt teach heart and toughness, unfortunately Tom struggles in this department, the down side of trying to teach athletes the game of footy, its something that is in your DNA!!!!!
That's probably true but I remember Greg Williams taking Jobe Watson under his wing and it had a dramatic effect on his game and his toughness for the contest

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 12:25am Good work with the young bloke Simon, you must be proud, Scotty Lucas wasn't the worst second/third/forward string ruckman either, so he should learn something there!!!!!

I have two of my own boys coming through, so I tend to give them advice on Ruckwork, but your right, they don't listen either, even though they know my CV, funny that!!!!!

Much appreciated the work with the forum, was just returning serve and providing a little humour, keep up the good work and good luck to the young fella!!!!!
How old are your boys? SMJFL? Can you hide them if any good because they don’t qualify for Father / Son!

stonecold
SS Life Member

one point wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 12:30am
stonecold wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 12:14am

No-one cares bud.

That's probably true but I remember Greg Williams taking Jobe Watson under his wing and it had a dramatic effect on his game and his toughness for the contest
I think the Neddles may have played a part in that too!!!!! ;)