Lots of positives today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lots of positives today

What we really need is a couple of good floggings next week and the week after. We really need the first circuit breaker during the season (coach sacking), with us landing a decent coach end of season (the proper circuit breaker).

The advantage of farewelling the coach midseason rather than in 3 months time (end of season) is that it buys us more time to plan for next year.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 9:42am Gresham’s gotta be a positive. Twenty years old and six straight at the MCG against the reigning premier. Kid’s going to be a big star. Now we just need a few of his teammates to follow suit.
I'm sure that I've read countless posts on here over the past few weeks 'demanding' Gresham be dropped to Sandringham to regain form?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 9:57am
bigcarl wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 9:42am Gresham’s gotta be a positive. Twenty years old and six straight at the MCG against the reigning premier. Kid’s going to be a big star. Now we just need a few of his teammates to follow suit.
I'm sure that I've read countless posts on here over the past few weeks 'demanding' Gresham be dropped to Sandringham to regain form?
Not from me you haven’t. I recognise talent.

twirlyhair
Club Player

congorozides wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 8:46pm
kosifantutti wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 8:39pm
congorozides wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 8:32pm Oh jesus christ.

Chief propagandist is at it again.

Its just a flesh wound!

So you couldn’t find any positives out of the game?

This exercise in 'looking for positives' is simply about filling fans with false hope.

An exercise in futility and denial.

I want regime change from the top down.

I dont believe Summers and Finnis will ever cut the mustard.
As you, an outsider who is not seeing how they work on a day to day basis, what is is exactly that they are not doing well? In regards to thread, a very positive game for a deeply flawed team. They are young (how many players with under 20 games?), but that is not their fault, so in my mine, the last couple of weeks have seen an improvement. We need mature bodies though, and off season recruitment is critical. We all know that. I really don't think we can judge the coaches until we have the cattle. Thats where the debate is at the moment.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

There’s nothing wrong with putting players back to the twos to get form/confidence - last week Newnes a new found forward.....yesterday back to trend....

What’s more important is where Gresham has been played recently - I thought the last few weeks letting him run through the middle rejuvenated him and our midfield , he gave us some sorely needed run and carry. The fact it took till we are 1-7;8 or 9 to make that change concerns me

He has class
Billings has class - we are not getting best out of them....why not let BIllings run off half back for a while and bring the ball into our fwd 50? I suspect his ability to lower the eyes and execute is ahead of Geary

“Yeah….nah””
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 11:03am I really don't think we can judge the coaches until we have the cattle. Thats where the debate is at the moment.
At what point though will we know?

It's been 5 years.

There are some fundamental errors in our 'game plan' such as 'manic pressure' as opposed to 'controlled intensity', and the 'bomb it to the hot spot' offensive strategy.

No matter what your cattle, these outdated methods will fail.

I genuinely fear, and am more and more believing that the cattle aren't that bad - but it's our coaching that has them all stagnating. The game plan does not facilitate skill, but instead seems to be all about scrapping and chaos. Very few footballers thrive in that space.

A guy like Robinson from Brisbane would love it - but guys like Billings and Josh Kelly for example, would be useless.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 11:26am
twirlyhair wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 11:03am I really don't think we can judge the coaches until we have the cattle. Thats where the debate is at the moment.

It's been 5 years.

There are some fundamental errors in our 'game plan' such as 'manic pressure' as opposed to 'controlled intensity', and the 'bomb it to the hot spot' offensive strategy.

I genuinely fear, and am more and more believing that the cattle aren't that bad - but it's our coaching that has them all stagnating. The game plan does not facilitate skill, but instead seems to be all about scrapping and chaos. Very few footballers thrive in that space.

A guy like Robinson from Brisbane would love it - but guys like Billings and Josh Kelly for example, would be useless.
That’s frightening Twirly
The club are telling us they have the cattle - they just aren’t playing to expectation.....on that basis alone the coaching has to be changed......add they’ve had 5 years , Sexton 12 at the club, and we’ve got problems

“Yeah….nah””
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I’m done with honourable losses or taking comfort in the “positives” of a loss. It’s what separates us from the better clubs.

It was the same attitude we adopted during Watters first season and 2016 - “honourable loss, lots of positives, we’re getting better.”

A bottom three finish is now practically a certainty, in a year when the club said we’ll be pushing for finals and not far off landing that elusive big fish and even contending...

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

ace wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 8:42pm
parkeysainter wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 7:19pm
-Paddy's comeback was ok. Loved the helmet.
You call ZERO goals from a full forward O.K.
If a centre forward in soccer does not score a goal they don't call it O.K.

Pudding was useless.
He took the place of another kid who would have benefited from the experience.
Too slow, he can never get a break on his defender because he has no acceleration.
When the opposition gets the ball they have a loose man to help escape the pressure.
Useless? You could criticise his kicking for goal, in the end he should've kicked 3. He was a big handful for Rance and had a very decent game.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

parkeysainter wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 8:42pm

Its just a flesh wound!

Negative sad sack Con G is back in town folks! Get your tickets! They're selling fast for the biggest comedy act on SS.net!

Aren't you banned? Which username is this one actually (you have 4 or 5)? I thought you were leaving after posting a new topic about it a few weeks back? Why are you still on here?
You see Con sat back yesterday with a beer or whatever he inbibes during a game, looking forward to Richmond delivering us a Coach killing smashing. Unfortunately, it didn't happen.

Tell you what Con, if that smashing doesn't come in the next two weeks, it ain't gonna come.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Linton Lodger wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 1:11pm

Its just a flesh wound!

Negative sad sack Con G is back in town folks! Get your tickets! They're selling fast for the biggest comedy act on SS.net!

Aren't you banned? Which username is this one actually (you have 4 or 5)? I thought you were leaving after posting a new topic about it a few weeks back? Why are you still on here?
You see Con sat back yesterday with a beer or whatever he inbibes during a game, looking forward to Richmond delivering us a Coach killing smashing. Unfortunately, it didn't happen.

Tell you what Con, if that smashing doesn't come in the next two weeks, it ain't gonna come.
I think some Saints fans were actually upset we nearly pulled off a win against the reigning premiers and a top 3 side on their home turf, especially with the team we fielded youth and expierence wise.

Newnes kicks that goal and we are 18 points up in the 3rd. We easily could have won and run away with it yesterday so lots of positives were present.

There is alot to like about our under 25 age group going forward. A couple more years in the system and they will only get better.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
wolfpup
Club Player

well we hit the front yesterday and last week after fighting back after not looking close to doing that earlier in the year.

-----------

St.Kilda Forever!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 1:49pm
I think some Saints fans were actually upset we nearly pulled off a win against the reigning premiers and a top 3 side on their home turf, especially with the team we fielded youth and expierence wise.

Newnes kicks that goal and we are 18 points up in the 3rd. We easily could have won and run away with it yesterday so lots of positives were present.

There is alot to like about our under 25 age group going forward. A couple more years in the system and they will only get better.

I think the issue is Parkey - expectations.

If you see the Saints as a young team still building towards their peak in 2-3 years time, there's actually a bit to like. They are injury riddled, and have no real experienced leaders of quality. However they are having a crack and some young guys are showing some ability.

However if you see them as a team that just missed the 8 for two years, started the 'rebuild' 3-4 years ago and was ready to launch into the top 6 this year - you'd be absolutely appalled at what you're seeing each week.

I can see both sides to be honest - but think the former is actually the reality.

SMS
Club Player

2019 - how we should set up

Newnes. Membrey. Gresham
Billings. Bruce. Long
Acres. Dunstan. Clark
Coffield. Carlsile. White
Webster. Austin. Rice

Hickey. Steven. Ross

Marshall, Siclair, Geary, Freeman

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

This is very unrealistic. Tigers stepped it up when the game was on the line and we couldn’t match them.

I agree that there are positives but if we don’t fix our structural and coaching issues including game plan, we won’t improve. Hence, positives are meaningless.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 1:57pm

I think the issue is Parkey - expectations.

If you see the Saints as a young team still building towards their peak in 2-3 years time, there's actually a bit to like. They are injury riddled, and have no real experienced leaders of quality. However they are having a crack and some young guys are showing some ability.

However if you see them as a team that just missed the 8 for two years, started the 'rebuild' 3-4 years ago and was ready to launch into the top 6 this year - you'd be absolutely appalled at what you're seeing each week.

I can see both sides to be honest - but think the former is actually the reality.
The former is now the reality because the later was the club’s expectation and its flopped miserably (hence all the wheeling and dealing during multiple trade weeks, Richo’s contract extension and the CEO declaring us as a “destination” club).

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The reason we are seeing positives - and the the reason for this whole thread - is because the coaches hand has been forced into making changes due to injuries.

If players are not contributing and if players are showing signs of selfishness creeping into their game it is the coaches job to curb those behaviours. When we lost to North Melbourne and then had another couple of losses there were calls to drop Gresh not because he needed to 'regain form' but to make a statement.

Last year Richo dropped Dunstan and it helped make Dunny a better player. He did the same for Savage. Why doesn't he learn from that and do the same for all players? The coach and selection committee have bean weak and made token changes. After that North loss, I was expecting 4 players to be dropped, simply to make a statement

SMS
Club Player

Plenty of positives. Add a top 3 PICK - MIDFIELDER - RANKINE!!

Get in J.Kelly and Gaff and we suddenly become yop 4x list isnt as bad as media says they are fing clueless

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 11:30am
a a q Q

It's been 5 years.

The club are telling us they have the cattle - they just aren’t playing to expectation.....on that basis alone the coaching has to be changed......add they’ve had 5 years , Sexton 12 at the club, and we’ve got problems
Can't get all the cattle on the field at the same time though.

Side would look different with Bruce, Acres, Long and Roberton included.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Even with those guys in, we were not playing any good, and just managed a draw against a struggling GWS. Still feels to me like the players just don't know what they are supposed to be doing structurally half the time- not well drilled enough regardless of experience levels

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 2:53pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 11:30am
a a q Q

It's been 5 years.

Can't get all the cattle on the field at the same time though.

Side would look different with Bruce, Acres, Long and Roberton included.
I'm sorry these guys are not the difference - Bruce would struggle to get a game in a top sides forward line up and long is a kid

“Yeah….nah””
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

ace wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 8:42pm
parkeysainter wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 7:19pm
-Paddy's comeback was ok. Loved the helmet.
You call ZERO goals from a full forward O.K.
If a centre forward in soccer does not score a goal they don't call it O.K.

Pudding was useless.
He took the place of another kid who would have benefited from the experience.
Too slow, he can never get a break on his defender because he has no acceleration.
When the opposition gets the ball they have a loose man to help escape the pressure.
If you want to insult or disparage players who play for our club I suggest you piss off to an opposition forum. Calling McCartin pudding is just plain stupid.

ss1986
Club Player

Its just a flesh wound!

Oh man you have seriously been drinking the Koolaid.

“Nearly pulled off a win”

We have 13 less scoring shots and lost by 5 goals.

Seriously deluded.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

ss1986 wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 3:24pm

Its just a flesh wound!

Oh man you have seriously been drinking the Koolaid.

“Nearly pulled off a win”

We have 13 less scoring shots and lost by 5 goals.

Seriously deluded.
Yes Con G.

I would say being close all day and even most of the last is pretty close to pulling off a win. I reckon we left the Tigers off the hook in the 3rd.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I must confess to being unable to find a contradiction/inconsistency in having the ability to both be (a) disappointed/frustrated at losing matches (b) able to see positive aspects in a performance by the team.

It’s just WAY too simplistic to equate having a positive outlook on SOME aspects of the result as being “tolerant of mediocrity”

Things are most definitely NOT “alright” at present, however to deny the positives from yesterday is to insult those kids who did stand up to be counted against the reigning premiers.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)