Coming to terms with “Sainthood”

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Coming to terms with “Sainthood”

After almost thirty years of supporting them, and eighteen years unbroken membership, I’ve at last come to terms with being a Sainter.

I’m now reconciled to the cold and inescapable truth that I will not see my club win a premiership in my lifetime ( I’m 74 next birthday)

I’m now reconciled to the cold and inescapable truth that unless something approaching a miracle occurs, there is a real possibility that my club won’t figure in finals for the foreseeable future.

Does this knowledge make me angry? Frustrated? Bitter?........ not a chance! However, it does make me overwhelmingly sad. Missing out on clearcut opportunities for glory in 09 & 10 will always hurt.

What can I do about it? Well I’m going to let the club know of my feelings about this present malaise. Am I going to walk away? Take a wild guess!

I have no course other than to follow the path I embarked on in 1990.......... to be a Sainter, through pain and glory!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Bruce G McAbee
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Coming to terms with “Sainthood”

I'm 60 and I can't see us winning a premiership in my lifetime, that's how sad it is. Unless something amazing happens. I really believe this club needs someone to come along and drag it out of its doldrums to a successful period. Geelong had Frank Costa, Hawthorn had Jeff Kennett and other clubs have had people. Just can't see who that person is.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

get a selfie with Joffa..that should cheer you up.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

The wheel will turn eventually Jiggers. It always does at the Saints and at most clubs going poorly, but this current Sainters wheel might take a while yet. Things have been much worse in the past on several occasions.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 9:32pm get a selfie with Joffa..that should cheer you up.
Thanks for that smartarse! :lol: :lol: :x

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Is that like a knighthood?

Did you kneel down in front of a queen on Saturday night?

:shock: 8-)

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 9:37pm The wheel will turn eventually Jiggers. It always does at the Saints and at most clubs going poorly, but this current Sainters wheel might take a while yet. Things have been much worse in the past on several occasions.
That’s fair comment mate. The point of my OP was to say that I’m cursed/blessed to be tied to this club, for better or worse! Once one realises the truth = ultimate success ( flag ) is not on the horizon for me to see, then it becomes a matter of just rolling up my sleeves and getting on with it ( being a Sainter)

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 9:48pm Is that like a knighthood?

"kneel down in front of a queen on Saturday night?" Er no mate, I went home with my daughter and grandson....... but if that's what YOU got out of the evening, well god bless you! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

That's the spirit, Jiggster! Winning a premiership isn't everything, but it sure would help bring some sense of fulfilment in following this damn quest of supporting our beloved, hapless football club. I'm over thirty years younger than yourself and even I feel pessimistic about my chances of witnessing a premiership.

After the 2007 season, I became fed up with the Saints. I just wasn't enjoying it and I thought Ross Lyon was only going to lead us down yet another beaten path. As ashamed as I am to admit it, I didn't renew my membership for the 2008 season. Of course that particular year wasn't a bad one for the club at all. The players cottoned on to Lyon's game plan and it began to flourish. The only games I attended that year was the last round of season and then saw Rob Harvey's finale in the PF. Fortunately, it revived my attachment to the club and I jumped back on the horse in 2009. I'm almost swearing a blood oath that I will always renew my membership, regardless of how I'm feeling about the club at the time, because witnessing that elusive premiership has always been on my bucket list. I think in buying a membership is paramount for anyone who cares about the future of the club and its premiership chances. If I was not to be in the picture when they were to win a premiership, I'd at least want the other supporters to experience that joy.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 10:15pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 9:48pm Is that like a knighthood?

"kneel down in front of a queen on Saturday night?" Er no mate, I went home with my daughter and grandson....... but if that's what YOU got out of the evening, well god bless you! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Must have given the uni- sex loos a miss then, eh?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

My son wants to see a movie on Saturday. I’ve told him we should go to a 4PM session because I don’t want to miss the World Cup.

This is just wrong. What’s happened to me?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Sad thing is I don’t care about our onfield games.

All I care about is seeing the whole footy department removed. Maybe the board also.

And we start again. Another restart.

f*** me

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 10:21pm My son wants to see a movie on Saturday. I’ve told him we should go to a 4PM session because I don’t want to miss the World Cup.

This is just wrong. What’s happened to me?
Just expressing your feelings mate, is all

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

[quote=saintspremiers post_id=1735585 time=1528802596 user_id=1060

f*** me
[/quote]

Errrrrr pass!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 9:47pm
The Fireman wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 9:32pm get a selfie with Joffa..that should cheer you up.
Thanks for that smartarse! :lol: :lol: :x
haha just joking mate. After all the crap that we have been through we must keep a sense of humour. I'm not far behind you age wise and share your sentiments...we wont see a flag which when you think about it is downright $hitful. All those years of hope, I lived in the north west and would travel by train to moorabbin..then waverley all those years. spoon after spoon to lost GF's ........... unbroken member for 35 years and following the barstards since I was a kid....which is why I may come across as being negative..I can't help it.

But we move on, I now live in NSW and watch every game on Foxtel and a couple live when I visit melb or the occasional Sydney / Queensland game. so I still hope.
But yep ..I can't see us winning a flag in our lifetime now.

all good Jiggers.
Last edited by The Fireman on Tue 12 Jun 2018 10:47pm, edited 4 times in total.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Sainternist wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 10:20pm That's the spirit, Jiggster! Winning a premiership isn't everything, but it sure would help bring some sense of fulfilment in following this damn quest of supporting our beloved, hapless football club. I'm over thirty years younger than yourself and even I feel pessimistic about my chances of witnessing a premiership.

After the 2007 season, I became fed up with the Saints. I just wasn't enjoying it and I thought Ross Lyon was only going to lead us down yet another beaten path. As ashamed as I am to admit it, I didn't renew my membership for the 2008 season. Of course that particular year wasn't a bad one for the club at all. The players cottoned on to Lyon's game plan and it began to flourish. The only games I attended that year was the last round of season and then saw Rob Harvey's finale in the PF. Fortunately, it revived my attachment to the club and I jumped back on the horse in 2009. I'm almost swearing a blood oath that I will always renew my membership, regardless of how I'm feeling about the club at the time, because witnessing that elusive premiership has always been on my bucket list. I think in buying a membership is paramount for anyone who cares about the future of the club and its premiership chances. If I was not to be in the picture when they were to win a premiership, I'd at least want the other supporters to experience that joy.
Good post. Well said.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 10:25pm [quote=saintspremiers post_id=1735585 time=1528802596 user_id=1060

f*** me
Errrrrr pass!
[/quote]

So you don’t want the footy department replaced??

The ones who helped create the mess we are now in?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Some of my mates sent me Saints memes, light hearted s*** stirring. I tell them I’m used to it all after 48 years of pain lol

Thankfully the good lord made me discover the Beatles at the same time I became a Sainter so I could experience both the top and bottom end of life

takeaway
Club Player

stevie wrote: Wed 13 Jun 2018 8:28am Some of my mates sent me Saints memes, light hearted s*** stirring. I tell them I’m used to it all after 48 years of pain lol

Thankfully the good lord made me discover the Beatles at the same time I became a Sainter so I could experience both the top and bottom end of life
Although the Beatles era around 1960-70 was a pretty good era for the Saints as well. '65,66, & 71 GFs, and winning one! Maybe you picked up on the Beatles in the 80's?

DazzlingDaryl

Ridiculous negativity

On Saturday St Kilda had 6 players with a total of less than 40 games experience. Coffield, Austin, Battle etc all with less than 5 games each!

Carlisle, Acres, Robertson, Bruce among others all out for various reasons. Defence particularly badly undermanned

St Kilda will certainly improve when they get some experience back in their side

Have followed Saints since 1960s and seen everything including far worse times than the present such as the early 1980s

Keep the faith. The wheel will certainly turn

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

DazzlingDaryl wrote: Wed 13 Jun 2018 9:09am Ridiculous negativity

On Saturday St Kilda had 6 players with a total of less than 40 games experience. Coffield, Austin, Battle etc all with less than 5 games each!

Carlisle, Acres, Robertson, Bruce among others all out for various reasons. Defence particularly badly undermanned

St Kilda will certainly improve when they get some experience back in their side

Have followed Saints since 1960s and seen everything including far worse times than the present such as the early 1980s

Keep the faith. The wheel will certainly turn

G’day <insert board member name>,

Sorry for being negative. The shitful listless first quarter was all due to inexperience.

My bad.....

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Wed 13 Jun 2018 8:20am
thejiggingsaint wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 10:25pm [quote=saintspremiers post_id=1735585 time=1528802596 user_id=1060

f*** me
Errrrrr pass!
So you don’t want the footy department replaced??

The ones who helped create the mess we are now in?
[/quote]

Errrr NO.... I’m “passing” on ( ahem) “f*** me” :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: