Real Depth

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Real Depth

For the first time in my memory, and perhaps in the history of the club, the Saints have real depth in their list.

Missing from the side that played Melbourne were:

Gilbert, Hickey, Minchington, Cofffield, Phillips, Austin, Lonie, Marshall, Wright, White, Webster, Acres, Long, Roberton and Stevens.

Then there are the young ones yet to get a go or a real shot at it.

Paton, Goddard, Freeman and Connellan.

Sure, some of them need a couple more pre-seasons/games under their belt, but our list isn't as bad as everyone thought.
Last edited by saynta on Mon 02 Jul 2018 7:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Re: Real Depth

nope... many of those players you list are simply not AFL standard
Wright, Lonie, Minch, Gilbert will likely be delisted at the end of year, stevens has played his last game... Phillips and White are "maybes" if they improve, Hickey cant get a game ahead of longer who is hopeless, Marshall is a 'maybe' but needs to improve and develop, as is Austin

roberton remains a question mark.

Agree that Long and Acres look like being good and Coffield also should be good

look at where Sandy sit on the ladder compared to Richmond..

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote: Mon 02 Jul 2018 3:46pm nope... many of those players you list are simply not AFL standard
Wright, Lonie, Minch, Gilbert will likely be delisted at the end of year, stevens has played his last game... Phillips and White are "maybes" if they improve, Hickey cant get a game ahead of longer who is hopeless, Marshall is a 'maybe' but needs to improve and develop, as is Austin

Yes and Richmond have barely had a injury.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote: Mon 02 Jul 2018 3:46pm nope... many of those players you list are simply not AFL standard

Don't agree with you.

Sandy has suffered because of Saints injuries with up to 14 players missing at some stges of the season.

Wright and Minch are certainly AFL standard. Maybe back up players, but still capable of performing at that level

Sammy will be back in the team at some stage.

Agree that Stevens is probably done which is a crying shame, But Robbo still a chance, however slim.

Hickey, Phillips and White have shown that they can more than just perform at AFL level.

Lonie is 50.50 re AFL standard but I believe Austin has what it takes to succeed.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 02 Jul 2018 3:57pm

Yes and Richmond have barely had a injury.
Be interesting to see a Sandy v Tigers match where both have full sides to choose from.

portosaint
Club Player

Love to see Minch get back. Up to it for sure. He is a midfielder though, not a small forward, and should play as such if he gets a chance.

Quick, tough, laser foot skills, loves a sausage roll... Can very much add some much needed outside run. Unfortunately for Meatball, he has never been given much of a chance in the guts at AFL level.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

portosaint wrote: Mon 02 Jul 2018 7:06pm Love to see Minch get back. Up to it for sure. He is a midfielder though, not a small forward, and should play as such if he gets a chance.

Quick, tough, laser foot skills, loves a sausage roll... Can very much add some much needed outside run. Unfortunately for Meatball, he has never been given much of a chance in the guts at AFL level.
Would love to see Meatball off half back.

He and Webster both have fast penetrating kicks.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
portosaint
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote: Mon 02 Jul 2018 7:11pm
portosaint wrote: Mon 02 Jul 2018 7:06pm Love to see Minch get back. Up to it for sure. He is a midfielder though, not a small forward, and should play as such if he gets a chance.

Would love to see Meatball off half back.

He and Webster both have fast penetrating kicks.
It is a deadly boot he has. Kicks it just like Jimmy. Low and hard

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I am a Minch fan as well. Led the league in defensive forward pressure when he last got a gig.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

For whatever reason AR just doesn’t seem to rate Minch.

I really like him too... is hard working and damaging. Never thought of playing him on a HBF but really like the idea. Hard working, fast, will cover his man and capable of kicking a goal if he’s not respected.

Wish he got the opportunities Weller got.

Alas though I think he’s destined to be cut at seasons end and another player in years to come ppl will evidence as poor recruiting when in actuality I reckon we’ve dropped the ball with him.

takeaway
Club Player

Has never shown much to me, except against Geelong. I think he is gone.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think our depth is good....we just need a bit more cream at the top.

A few more genuine stars and then all our other players would lift and execute better.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Everything looks a lot better when both Sandy and Saints win on the same weekend

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Tue 03 Jul 2018 7:22am Everything looks a lot better when both Sandy and Saints win on the same weekend
yep

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

I like Minch he has great pace and foot skills with good goal since. Much better player than Lonie.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
evo
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Tue 03 Jul 2018 7:32pm I like Minch he has great pace and foot skills with good goal since. Much better player than Lonie.
I think the same. Unfortunately he is out for another two weeks with an abductor strain.