Freeman still not ready

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintadamski
Club Player

Re: Freeman still not ready

derby Street wrote: Sun 29 Jul 2018 6:15pm
saintadamski wrote: Sun 29 Jul 2018 5:01pm
derby Street wrote: Sun 29 Jul 2018 4:07pm
saintadamski wrote: Sun 29 Jul 2018 2:53pm
saintspremiers wrote: Sun 29 Jul 2018 11:13am Even though he got over 30 possies I read on Facie a report from someone at the Sandy game.

In a nutshell, Freezer gets the majority of his disposals standing fairly still and dishing out the ball. Gone is his explosive speed. Basically it appears very few metres gained and would be ineffective at AFL level.

So there you go...sounds like unless something dramatically changes he won’t make it at AFL level.

Richo may select him due to media and public pressure, but it could be under duress.
HAHAHAHA ineffective at AFL level
What do you call Newnes, Weller, Gilbert, Savage, Billings, Sinclair and many others!! Effective?!?! HAHAHA
Obviously you haven't watched all games this year . Been supporting us long :shock:
Watched every one... how do the games look from fairy land? Pretty colors? Unicorns?? Jesus

This ship will keep sinking as long as delusional supporters like you think we have a great list and a great coach.

The only way forward is through massive changes... not living in a BS dream world. I bet you think Weller and Newnes are freaking champions.... ffs
Everyone - B.S - you wouldn't have a clue what the meaning of support is. FYI - Sinclair has been pretty good as has Billings since he came back from being dropped. Weller, Gilbert have been ordinary, nothing amazing about that statement
Unfortunately YOU are the one who does not understand support. All you understand is the blind leading the blind, like a lemming over a cliff.
A football club and its members are in a two way bond. A football club is NOT a totalitarian island.
We commit ourselves to the club with our souls and our wallets - FOR DECADES! ... and I will not for one second sheepishly 'support' poor decisions and poor list management.
In fact if you do support incompetence, without a whimper...then you are actually as much part of the problem as guys like Trout.
I will always be true to the Saints as an institution, but I will NEVER blindly kiss the asses of paid employees of the club that bring my beloved institution to its knees.
Support is fine, as long as you aren't supporting a shocking regime.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

No one is ever quite ready, for anything.

f*** it; just play the bloke FFS

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintadamski
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Mon 30 Jul 2018 12:30am No one is ever quite ready, for anything.

Well said...not sure Richo was 'ready' for coaching either

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintadamski wrote: Mon 30 Jul 2018 12:54am
SaintPav wrote: Mon 30 Jul 2018 12:30am No one is ever quite ready, for anything.

Well said...not sure Richo was 'ready' for coaching either
Yes though he has had 5 years to strut his stuff at AFL level whereas Freezer has not even been given one game yet.

Was Long ready when he played his first game last seas, Battle, etc etc ??? No, both were raw as and were not ready-mades.

No they were played to see what they could do at the highest level and to give them a taste.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Some really interesting comments within this thread.

I was at Trevor Barker Oval on Saturday and while many of Nathan Freeman's disposals were short kicks or handballs, as Wombat15 correctly stated, that was no different to almost every Sandringham possession. They were stagnant all day.

That said, Freeman was easily Sandringham's best player. He rarely lost a one-on-one, if at all, didn't turn the ball over and covered more ground than anyone. It's amazing that some people are criticising him for having 37 short kicks and handballs. Those people may need to check how the current Brownlow favourite (Tom Mitchell) goes about it. Pace and penetration are great attributes, but what is more important to us at the moment is ball use, retention and delivery inside 50, all of which Freeman was excellent at on the weekend.

There was a bloke who wore number 35 for the saints who wasn't blessed with speed or penetration, but he seemed to go alright.

Freeman will debut very soon, and deservedly so.
Last edited by Beno88 on Mon 30 Jul 2018 1:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Got to be the most 'ready' guy on the team...regularly in the bests, paid for his own treatment, foregone surgery so he can have his crack, no new injury issues for months, put him in!

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Does he play under the Rudy rule? :wink:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Has to play this week.

Surely so.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

37 touches and a goal is pretty decent against one of the top VFL teams.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

He may get a game this week although I think Paton is more deserving. Look at Patons stats and how many times he has been an emergency, him more due than Freeza.

Richo has made it clear that he wants Freeza to got at full tilt now. Hold nothing back and Freeza isn't doing that yet. I still thinkk he will play this week but shame it will be at Paton's expense
Last edited by DJ Higgins on Mon 30 Jul 2018 1:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_President
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Mon 30 Jul 2018 9:39am Some really interesting comments within this thread.

I was at Trevor Barker Oval on Saturday and while many of Nathan Freeman's disposals were short kicks or handballs, as Wombat15 correctly stated, that was no different to almost every Sandringham possession. They were stagnant all day.

That said, Freeman was easily Sandringham's best player. He rarely lost a one-on-one, if at all, didn't turn the ball over and covered more ground than anyone. It's amazing that some people are criticising him for having 37 short kicks and handballs. Those people may need to check how the current Brownlow favourite (Tom Mitchell) goes about it. Pace and penetration are great attributes, but what is more important to us at the moment is ball use, retention and delivery inside 50, all of which Freeman was excellent at on the weekend.

There was a bloke who wore number 35 for the saints who wasn't blessed with speed or penetration, but he seemed to go alright.

Finally a good post on this thread.

Sandy were bloody terrible on the weekend, very slow and sloppy. Freeman was extremely solid all day.
He went in and got his own ball and got some handballs on the outside, when he did get it on the outside he used it well. When he got his own ball on the inside he showed quick hands and got it to players in space.

He also got given some very ordinary handballs that put him under pressure but he was still good enough to free the arms and get it away.

Did he unload with 50m kicks? No, but it was also blowing a gale to one end AND Sandy didn't really have any tall forwards, it was a very small forward line so banging it long and high really wouldn't of helped anyone.

To be critical of someone for having 37 and kicking a goal in the twos is ridiculous.

On form alone Freeman deserves a game more than anyone else that is running around for Sandy right now.

For what he's been through, the strength of character he's shown and the determination to keep getting up and moving forward, he nearly deserves a game more than anyone in the league.

Our season is done, has been for a long time. There is literally nothing to gain by not picking Freeman. If he does get a game and he breaks down or looks terribly out of his depth, at least we know. If he comes out and has 25 and looks comfortable, at least we know.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote: Mon 30 Jul 2018 1:21pm
Beno88 wrote: Mon 30 Jul 2018 9:39am Some really interesting comments within this thread.

Finally a good post on this thread.

Sandy were bloody terrible on the weekend, very slow and sloppy. Freeman was extremely solid all day.
He went in and got his own ball and got some handballs on the outside, when he did get it on the outside he used it well. When he got his own ball on the inside he showed quick hands and got it to players in space.

He also got given some very ordinary handballs that put him under pressure but he was still good enough to free the arms and get it away.

Did he unload with 50m kicks? No, but it was also blowing a gale to one end AND Sandy didn't really have any tall forwards, it was a very small forward line so banging it long and high really wouldn't of helped anyone.

To be critical of someone for having 37 and kicking a goal in the twos is ridiculous.

On form alone Freeman deserves a game more than anyone else that is running around for Sandy right now.

For what he's been through, the strength of character he's shown and the determination to keep getting up and moving forward, he nearly deserves a game more than anyone in the league.

Our season is done, has been for a long time. There is literally nothing to gain by not picking Freeman. If he does get a game and he breaks down or looks terribly out of his depth, at least we know. If he comes out and has 25 and looks comfortable, at least we know.
A second great post.

saintadamski
Club Player

Picking Freeman this week would fill him with confidence, and it would fill the supporters with hope.
It is a win win on so many important levels - not to mention a great PR narrative for the club....a story of conquering immense adversity, showing strength and commitment.

If I see the same garbage selection this week of the ususal suspects, and no sign of a THOROUGLY DESERVED debut for Freeman, then my membership will be cancelled with immediate effect.
One membership is a small loss to the club, but I encourage all to do the same, as it is the only way that the club will begin to listen.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintadamski wrote: Mon 30 Jul 2018 1:43pm Picking Freeman this week would fill him with confidence, and it would fill the supporters with hope.
It is a win win on so many important levels - not to mention a great PR narrative for the club....a story of conquering immense adversity, showing strength and commitment.

If I see the same garbage selection this week of the ususal suspects, and no sign of a THOROUGLY DESERVED debut for Freeman, then my membership will be cancelled with immediate effect.
One membership is a small loss to the club, but I encourage all to do the same, as it is the only way that the club will begin to listen.
Send an email to the club. I am sure dozens if not hundreds of supporters feel the same way.

I have worries about how Richo spoke of the likely debut of freezer last week. Not promising. I'm afraid..

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yes he is.

Ready that is.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 2f110866a9

"ST KILDA midfielder Nathan Freeman has pushed his case for an AFL debut after a standout performance for Sandringham in the VFL on Saturday.

The injury-plagued Saint is in red hot form in the VFL, pushing for a senior call-up after another dominant match.

The midfielder found the ball at will at Trevor Barker Beach Oval, with Freeman recording a game-high 37 disposals (76 per cent efficiency), 13 marks and a goal in the Zebras’ 31-point loss to Box Hill Hawks.

Freeman’s starring form could see him make his debut when St Kilda play the Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium next Saturday night.

His previous three games at VFL level have yielded 29, 23 and 25 disposals — with St Kilda coach Alan Richardson telling AFL 360 on Monday that the Saints were still aiming for him to debut in 2018.

“Certainly that’s the plan, but he’ll play when he’s ready to play and right now, he’s not quite ready to go,” Richardson told AFL 360.

“He’s close, but he’s not quite ready,” he said.

“Physically he’s right to go, but he just needs to be really confident in his body and let himself go — get to another level in terms of his dynamic play, which is his one-wood.

“He’s not quite there yet, but he’s getting closer.”

A serious of hamstring injuries have cruelled Freeman’s time in the AFL system, with the former 2013 Pick No. 10 traded from Collingwood to St Kilda in the 2015 off-season.

But it will be a rewarding moment for Freeman, if he gets an opportunity to run out in the red, white and black in 2018."

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Quite interesting that Freeman wasn't named in the best players on the weekend by the club. All the noise was about Paton.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
degruch
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 30 Jul 2018 1:47pm Send an email to the club. I am sure dozens if not hundreds of supporters feel the same way.

I have worries about how Richo spoke of the likely debut of freezer last week. Not promising. I'm afraid..
:lol: I want to see him debut too, and I agree he thoroughly deserves it, but email the club??? I can't wait to see who else Saintsational selects for this weeks team!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

From anyone who has seen him live does he have or has he shown any speed at all?
This guy was a rocket so much of what we need away from congestion but geez you’d need him to at least get some semblance of that going

“Yeah….nah””
SaintWodonga
Club Player

All over social media.. He'll play this week!

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Hack
Club Player

Weller has been ready all year. What’s he done?! Play the kid as a reward for his perseverance

shrodes
SS Life Member

Listened to Sammy Hamill on the Emerging Stars podcast, he talked about how everyone inside and outside the club is on FreezaWatch. Was happy with how his outside game is developing after starting wing (30ish uncontested from 36 disposals).

Said he needs to work more defensively after laying 0 tackles.

Was also full of praise for Paton and said both would be in the mix for selection this week

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The shoulder might be worrying him. Tackles are sometimes overated.

If Freezer gets the call up and gets it 20 times plus gets decent metres gained that would be better than him just tackling for the sake of tackling. How many times do you see the ball being held up and players tackled who have no prior and it really is a pointless excercise, especially when the opposition then wins the clearance.

It shi-ts me to tears when tackles that don't mean anything are counted as tackle stats. When a player tackles and actually wins a free or the ball spills and there's a turnover I reckon there should be more reward on the stat sheet than just an easy tackle to a bloke stationary at a stoppage or a bloke who receives the footy in heavy traffic and is set upon before any prior opportunity.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Tackles have to be classed 'effective' to register as a tackle stat!!!!!

Its not pointless as it gives the players a chance to reset among other things, all you seem to worry about is the 'soft possies' in footy (alah a certain big mans soft touches), you wouldn't be much chop in the ring!!!!!

Too much attack, no defence!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I had dinner with Freezer last night and he says his body is as good as it's ever been. But he played a straight bat to whether or not he would get a game this week.

BTW, there's no VFL game this week to prove himself if not selected.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think Freeman will play this weekend. ;)

.....but then again I am not worried about getting sacked!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....