Saints stand by Richo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints stand by Richo

parkeysainter wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 10:33pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 10:22pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 10:00pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 9:53pm
BenLong#21 wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 9:36pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 9:20pm
BenLong#21 wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 9:00pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 8:49pm
BenLong#21 wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 8:40pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 8:34pm 28 points up, then what happened next had nothing to do with coaches, gameplans, talent and development or anything a footy club does outside of game day.

28 points up and flying.
Richo
107 games. 37 wins.. 68 losses.

Are you saying all 68 losses were just 'bad luck'?

Nup. Players have to take responsiblity for last nights game. The players didn't control the things they could.
Ok. So what about our other poor losses?

Rd 2 v North (52)
Rd 3 v Crows (49)
Rd 4 v Cats (47)
Rd 7 v Demons (39)
Rd 8 v Dockers (30)
Rd 12 v Swans (71)
Rd 18 v Tigers (54)
I'm talking about last night's game but yeah the inability to control the controllable has been a problem all year. When a team steps it up a gear and starts getting a run on, we don't have players capable of responding and games are taken away from us quickly, usually in under a quarter.

Last nights game was lost by the players.

Seems like you are very fond of Richo. A true believer.

So job for life?

At what point do you lose the faith? If ever.

Just trying to be objective about last nights game and it was lost by the players because they gave up. They should be embarrassed. They gave up.
Isn’t it Richo’s job to motivate the players and help them reach their full potential?
The players were playing great in the first. That's what is difficult to explain. How could the coach be held responsible for the players giving up after quarter time.
Because people hate Richo and want him sacked no matter what.
The coach is accountable for all aspects of on field performance. If after five years he hasn’t got them to a place where they are playing for him then that speaks about him and not the players.

And I think you’re mistaken about people hating Richardson. I don’t hate him. Am sure he’s a nice fella and has some excellent personal qualities. However....I’m not interested in that if he can’t coach at AFL level to a level that will bring success. And after five years it appears he can’t.

BenLong#21
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 10:33pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 10:22pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 10:00pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 9:53pm
BenLong#21 wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 9:36pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 9:20pm
BenLong#21 wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 9:00pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 8:49pm
BenLong#21 wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 8:40pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 8:34pm 28 points up, then what happened next had nothing to do with coaches, gameplans, talent and development or anything a footy club does outside of game day.

28 points up and flying.
Richo

Nup. Players have to take responsiblity for last nights game. The players didn't control the things they could.

Rd 2 v North (52)
Rd 3 v Crows (49)
Rd 4 v Cats (47)
Rd 7 v Demons (39)
Rd 8 v Dockers (30)
Rd 12 v Swans (71)
Rd 18 v Tigers (54)
I'm talking about last night's game but yeah the inability to control the controllable has been a problem all year. When a team steps it up a gear and starts getting a run on, we don't have players capable of responding and games are taken away from us quickly, usually in under a quarter.

Last nights game was lost by the players.

Seems like you are very fond of Richo. A true believer.

So job for life?

At what point do you lose the faith? If ever.

Just trying to be objective about last nights game and it was lost by the players because they gave up. They should be embarrassed. They gave up.
Isn’t it Richo’s job to motivate the players and help them reach their full potential?
The players were playing great in the first. That's what is difficult to explain. How could the coach be held responsible for the players giving up after quarter time.
Because people hate Richo and want him sacked no matter what.
Seems like when we play well Richo wants the credit for it. Great coaching Richo!

When we play poorly he blames the players. Not Richo's fault!

stonecold
SS Life Member

See, you don't have to hate someone to say they carnt do their job!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

“But Saints football manager Simon Lethlean says Richardson is the right man to take the club forward and believes a new-look team of assistants will enable him to turn things around.

"I see enough in 'Richo', his long history in coaching, the way he educates our players, the way they play for him when they are doing what is asked of them. And I see the effort he puts in and the way he can lead people; I see that first-hand, so I know that he is the right man to lead this group that he's started off with," Lethlean told 3AW on Sunday.

"Richo's taking us forward, and in order for him to take us forward we've got to make him the best coach he can be, and that requires some new voices in the coaching area to support and guide and inform the program.

"If we do all that, we're confident Richo's going to have the capacity to improve our performance.”

Do they genuinely believe this do you reckon? Or is it spin because of the cost of dumping him?

BenLong#21
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 11:06pm “But Saints football manager Simon Lethlean says Richardson is the right man to take the club forward and believes a new-look team of assistants will enable him to turn things around.

"I see enough in 'Richo', his long history in coaching, the way he educates our players, the way they play for him when they are doing what is asked of them. And I see the effort he puts in and the way he can lead people; I see that first-hand, so I know that he is the right man to lead this group that he's started off with," Lethlean told 3AW on Sunday.

"Richo's taking us forward, and in order for him to take us forward we've got to make him the best coach he can be, and that requires some new voices in the coaching area to support and guide and inform the program.

"If we do all that, we're confident Richo's going to have the capacity to improve our performance.”

Do they genuinely believe this do you reckon? Or is it spin because of the cost of dumping him?
I think the club seems to believe if you repeat the same thing enough times eventually it will come true.

I can assure you all that if anyone on this forum looks in the mirror and repeats 'I am a model and a billionaire' over and over again repeatedly thousands of times - it still wont come true.

Same for the guff they speak about Richo. The sad truth is he is just a very ordinary dim witted fella.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Lethers isn't giving Richo the sack for 2019 so get used to him folks. He has pretty much said he will be surrounded with a new team of assistants.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 11:49pm Lethers isn't giving Richo the sack for 2019 so get used to him folks. He has pretty much said he will be surrounded with a new team of assistants.
That may be true but expect a lot less members

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 11:49pm Lethers isn't giving Richo the sack for 2019 so get used to him folks. He has pretty much said he will be surrounded with a new team of assistants.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

“Yeah….nah””
kalsaint
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 6:19pm On field leadership????????.?

The person who should be driving that is the head coach

Five f****** years ago when Richo was appointed why didn't he rotate the captaincy? There is perhaps a lack of f****** leadership because the head coach and the f****** footy department let it get that way!!!!!!!!,
I don't agree with this. Leadership on the ground during play should be from the leadership group. This is to ensure that the plan is being executed. It includes coaching or direct instruction depending on who they are addressing and their experience. Hodge does this perfectly. It means Captain Geary needs to abandon his defence role, switch with another player and get himself up the ground at times to make a difference. All good game leaders make that call. All are visibly active in their role as captain to ensure other players are accountable for their role. Roo has said on Foxtel that he had no issue being direct to players at times when they needed it. We need to toughen up and start directing when players aren't providing the effort to meet the team game plan.

All the remainder are basically soldiers with differing skill sets. They should know their roles and be accountable in terms of their effort and team work plus execution.

The coach should see the bigger picture and decide if the plan needs change (i.e. Plan B) or roles need changing to ensure the team is achieving what it set out to do. In quarter 3 yesterday, Geary needed to be all over those not putting in the effort or not supporting the team. If he's unable to motivation the changes he needs to get the coaches to change up the plan if they haven't already acted on that. The coaches cannot be modifying the game plan continuously as the team loses focus on what's required. In general if the team isn't capable of stopping the rut then he should be rolling out the changes and considering how those weaknesses are to be resolved next week. That's what I look for from Richos comments and sorry I don't always get the idea that we have the strength of valour to execute the plan, modify the plan when the opposition is different in ensuing weeks.

More effort needed requires change, initially by the leadership group for accountability feedback then by coach/player manager changes. It needs proactive instruction to the soldiers. I don't get the visible feedback in games that the team are doing the communication needed for change. It doesn't take long and the game is lost unless everyone is proactive when KPI's aren't met.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 12:52am
All that could change quickly if the new coaching team don't show improvement though. Time will tell.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

kalsaint
Club Player

28 points up, then what happened next had nothing to do with coaches, gameplans, talent and development or anything a footy club does outside of game day.

28 points up and flying.
[/quote]

Richo

[/quote]

[/quote]

Rd 2 v North (52)
Rd 3 v Crows (49)
Rd 4 v Cats (47)
Rd 7 v Demons (39)
Rd 8 v Dockers (30)
Rd 12 v Swans (71)
Rd 18 v Tigers (54)
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The players started well but lost control later when they were executing the plan well. Many weren't responsive to what was required. First bite at that should have come from Leadership on the ground. With a few goals kicked against the team the coach then must act to change up the process or a blow out occurs.
The questions are;; did leaders have impact early enough? I say it wasn't obvious. When that occurs the coaches then need to make the changes. did this happen, I don't think so. Its a mix of motivation and instruction / coaching of individuals to meet the requirement. Skills help with this but don't underrate the captains and leadership groups role in getting soldiers back in line. It didn't happen early or late in the third quarter but some minor recovery happened in the 4th quarter but it wasn't telling.
Players in the third quarter who didn't fire up after leaders and coach did they bit aren't likely to be in the next weeks team if the team is based on merit.

Tommyj
Club Player

Maybe to get a good assistant do a Collingwood promise him the job after 2 years if we see a turn around in players performance and skill level he'll have nothing to lose we can't get any worse

nw7
Club Player

The Coach must be accountable for the Team performance for the whole season, yes the leaders should stand up during games but the leadership group has to be selected to deliver what the Team and coach needs on the field. Allan Richardson's greatest failure is that he believed he had a list of players that could potentially deliver a top 4 team, and convinced the people above him of this. We are a bottom 4 team and should be in the position we are in, its not because of injuries, other teams have had more injuries and played strong footy. Its because of blind faith in his list and senior players, who have proven many times this year they are not up to the leadership roles they have, its because of player development and drafting, its because of game plan, and missing the boat with the speed required for the modern game, not just leg speed but speed of ball movement. On the weekend we painfully experienced this once again, the standards Richardson excepts are not at the elite levels required to be a top team. I was invited to the club last Friday as a 30+ year member, we watched the Captains Run and had a tour of the Moorabbin facility. Our players have everything they need to succeed the facility is fantastic. The Captains run is a bonus training session for the selected team, no player is allowed to run more that 1.6 km what disappointed me was when players paired up just for a kick to kick and when they had shots for goal there was no pride in what they were doing and no one pulled them up, numerous times Dunstan, Ross, Geary and others kicked wide of each other or over each others heads, Newnes had shots at goal that hit the post or went no where near the goals,players dropped marks or missed the target on a basic low intensity drill, its just shrugged off as a playful session. I'm sure the standards expected are much higher at other clubs. Even the little thigs should matter. Everything should matter when you are a Club in our position.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 4:34am
The players started well but lost control later when they were executing the plan well. Many weren't responsive to what was required. First bite at that should have come from Leadership on the ground. With a few goals kicked against the team the coach then must act to change up the process or a blow out occurs.
The questions are;; did leaders have impact early enough? I say it wasn't obvious. When that occurs the coaches then need to make the changes. did this happen, I don't think so. Its a mix of motivation and instruction / coaching of individuals to meet the requirement. Skills help with this but don't underrate the captains and leadership groups role in getting soldiers back in line. It didn't happen early or late in the third quarter but some minor recovery happened in the 4th quarter but it wasn't telling.
Players in the third quarter who didn't fire up after leaders and coach did they bit aren't likely to be in the next weeks team if the team is based on merit.
Was it the moment when Tom went out? Whether it was or wasn't is hardly something the coach could change himself short of pulling on the boots. The players just gave up, or as you assert, just didn't step up.

Ironically sacking the coach would send the wrong message to the playing group by not also holding them to account as part of a wider accountable organisation. It would transfer all of the responsibility for poor performances onto a head coach and that is not how modern well run clubs are managed. Sacking a coach in 70s style would set the club back even further.

The players have to work through this just as much as anyone else at the club.

One of the biggest challenges at the club right now is recruitment at this years trade table. They just have to get the players the list needs for the next few years.

The other big challenge is keeping players off the injury list.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 10:23am
kalsaint wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 4:34am
Was it the moment when Tom went out? Whether it was or wasn't is hardly something the coach could change himself short of pulling on the boots. The players just gave up, or as you assert, just didn't step up.

Ironically sacking the coach would send the wrong message to the playing group by not also holding them to account as part of a wider accountable organisation. It would transfer all of the responsibility for poor performances onto a head coach and that is not how modern well run clubs are managed. Sacking a coach in 70s style would set the club back even further.

The players have to work through this just as much as anyone else at the club.

One of the biggest challenges at the club right now is recruitment at this years trade table. They just have to get the players the list needs for the next few years.

The other big challenge is keeping players off the injury list.
It’s not and/or and no one is saying it is
Players and leadership will change it has to
After 5 years of selling his dream so too should thegead coach
No excuses

“Yeah….nah””
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

st.byron wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 11:06pm “But Saints football manager Simon Lethlean says Richardson is the right man to take the club forward and believes a new-look team of assistants will enable him to turn things around.

The latter I'm afraid. The cost and also just how bad it will look for Finnis and co. to terminate him before his extension even starts.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

A note to fellow travellers this morn, after soaking up 'Lethers' latest statements;

"Lethlean has joined the Richardson school, and is now pitching in to protect the management ranks from any and all responsibility, by……………………..?

…………..sticking it all on the players, of course!

"My view and the club's view is that 'Richo' is taking us forward and in order for him to take us forward we have to make him the best coach he can be.
"That requires new voices in the coaching areas to support and guide the program and we need our players to dig in and be more competitive and improve our list as well.
While Lethlean pledged more support for Richardson, he put the heat on St Kilda's underperforming players.
"It's not all about the coaching. The players need to take responsibility," he said.
"They need to work harder and take a look at themselves and understand why it is that they can have great patches in games and really poor ones.
"The leadership needs to look at itself too and how it impacts those moments.
"We've got to show on-field leadership to turn things around when things aren't going well."

The minute you detect the management ranks deflecting all responsibility on to the employees, you know you’re f***ed!

‘Lethers’ isn’t a hard man, he’s a spiv from HQ come to shore up mediocrity, and protect the hierarchy from accountability.

And, when you crap on your employees, while absolving those who MANAGE those employees, 3 things happen;

1. The better employees look elsewhere.
2. You can’t ‘attract’ replacement ‘better employees’.
3. 1 & 2 naturally elevate the remaining lesser employees, making them ‘relatively better employees’, they feel increasing adequacy because of the rules to pay a minimum aggregate salary (the TPP ‘base’), and mediocrity takes greater hold.

Come the lawyers from HQ, come the decline. Finnis and Lethlean? Both Lawyers.

Protecting the management ranks, by devolving accountability to the lower ranks, means you’re all out of ideas and magic tricks, and brings the stench of decay."

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 1:11pm A note to fellow travellers this morn, after soaking up 'Lethers' latest statements;

"Lethlean has joined the Richardson school, and is now pitching in to protect the management ranks from any and all responsibility, by……………………..?

"My view and the club's view is that 'Richo' is taking us forward and in order for him to take us forward we have to make him the best coach he can be.
"That requires new voices in the coaching areas to support and guide the program and we need our players to dig in and be more competitive and improve our list as well.
While Lethlean pledged more support for Richardson, he put the heat on St Kilda's underperforming players.
"It's not all about the coaching. The players need to take responsibility," he said.
"They need to work harder and take a look at themselves and understand why it is that they can have great patches in games and really poor ones.
"We've got to show on-field leadership to turn things around when things aren't going well."

The minute you detect the management ranks deflecting all responsibility on to the employees, you know you’re f***ed!

‘Lethers’ isn’t a hard man, he’s a spiv from HQ come to shore up mediocrity, and protect the hierarchy from accountability.

And, when you crap on your employees, while absolving those who MANAGE those employees, 3 things happen;

3. 1 & 2 naturally elevate the remaining lesser employees, making them ‘relatively better employees’, they feel increasing adequacy because of the rules to pay a minimum aggregate salary (the TPP ‘base’), and mediocrity takes greater hold.

Protecting the management ranks, by devolving accountability to the lower ranks, means you’re all out of ideas and magic tricks, and brings the stench of decay."
Claims of "crapping on the employees" is a little bit of a dramatic overreaction.

In the context of how the game played out on Saturday night aren't Simon Lerhlean's comments honest feedback.

Even viewing from the cheap seats on Saturday night it's hard not to agree with Lethlean and his views there is a lack of players willing to make a stand when it's needed. It was plain to see for anyone who's willing to be objective.

The players stuffed up on Saturday and putting the blame on anyone else is not holding the players to account when they deserve it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 1:11pm

What utter crap. The post is beneath you TOT.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 1:42pm The players stuffed up on Saturday and putting the blame on anyone else is not holding the players to account when they deserve it.
So who's responsibility is the ongoing performance of the selected players ?

This isn't one bad week.

stonecold
SS Life Member

dragit wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 1:59pm
Cairnsman wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 1:42pm The players stuffed up on Saturday and putting the blame on anyone else is not holding the players to account when they deserve it.
So who's responsibility is the ongoing performance of the selected players ?

This isn't one bad week.
It's a fair question.....

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 1:42pm
The OtherThommo wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 1:11pm A note to fellow travellers this morn, after soaking up 'Lethers' latest statements;

Claims of "crapping on the employees" is a little bit of a dramatic overreaction.
Don’t think it is. It’s been going on all year. Tony74 came on here after the first Melbourne loss I think it was and straight out blamed the players. Has been the default management / coaching position for some time now.....it’s the players fault. Zero accountability.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 1:56pm
The OtherThommo wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 1:11pm

What utter crap. The post is beneath you TOT.
ToT is spot on. Anytime management starts blaming the employees instead of evaluating their own performance you’re on a slippery slope to even worse performance. If management does want to address issues with employees....i.e. coaches / administrators wanting to address issues with players, then keep it in house. Don’t publicly belittle those who work for you. Put the shoe on the other foot. Imagine if various players came out and publicly said the coaching is sub-standard and administrators are protecting mediocrity. How would that look? Like a club in open revolt. But it seems Lethlean and Richardson at least think they can publicly belittle the playing group as though that’s somehow going to make them better players. They are a disaster, compounding their incompetence with blaming and finger pointing.

stonecold
SS Life Member

They carnt afford to sack him!....

Even if they could, the payout remains in the Coaching Salary Cap, so, if they sacked him, they couldn't afford any new assistants and wouldn't have room in the Cap!....

We are stuck with Richo, so just blame the players, cause that will hopefully take the heat off us and our rash decision to extend!....

Full Stop!....