I hate to say it but the path that our new List Manager has taken..........

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Re: I hate to say it but the path that our new List Manager has taken..........

Moods wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 6:30pm I genuinely thought the OP was a piss take. I'm still not sure it isn't.
The Geelong trade of Steven for pick fkn 11 screams of troll.

Trying to look past it, but there is no way known that idea is gonna get traction around here.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

In the spirit of the OP and the general idea of staring at a 12-16 finish for the next four years, I would ask, how do Geelong and especially Hawthorn avoid having to buy a ticket on that hardluck train and still remain competitive? Furthermore, how do the other teams respond when they realize what we are doing? They smell blood and because of equalization and the fact that nobody gets dropped to the VFA like in the EPL, they just cash in. We give away our intentions.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Tommyj
Club Player

The bloke who posted this his knowledge about football you could write on on back of a twenty cents piece with a crow bar ffs

saintadamski
Club Player

I think this talk of a "best 22" is great, but will never happen.

In 2019, my predictions are we'll see the usual suspects not traded, and selected by our highly esteemed coach:
Newnes
Geary
Savage
Dunstan
Armitage
Will all play (poorly) until the coaches eventual demise in around round 5 or 6.

Only then will true personnel change start to take place.

ListManager
Club Player

mightysainters wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 9:25pm Surely OP is taking the Mickey.. trade our two best players for a couple of pick 10’s..
I'm not taking the Mickey out of anyone. My plan focuses on giving us the best chance of winning our next premiership in 4 years time. The current List Manager is focusing on making us more competitive in 2019. I would rather be mediocre for a couple more years if it means we will have a better shot at it when we are genuinely in the premiership window.

NeXus Nick is back but where is Joffaboy????
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

ListManager wrote: Fri 28 Sep 2018 3:20pm
mightysainters wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 9:25pm Surely OP is taking the Mickey.. trade our two best players for a couple of pick 10’s..
I would rather be mediocre for a couple more years if it means we will have a better shot at it when we are genuinely in the premiership window.
I get the idea but I just can’t see good examples of where this strategy has worked. North looked kind of OK for patches, Carlton is a basket case and our own losses of Dal Santo etc., did not work, meanwhile Sydney, Geelong, Hawthorn just stay competitve

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saintadamski wrote: Fri 28 Sep 2018 12:55am I think this talk of a "best 22" is great, but will never happen.

In 2019, my predictions are we'll see the usual suspects not traded, and selected by our highly esteemed coach:
Newnes
Geary
Savage
Dunstan
Armitage
Will all play (poorly) until the coaches eventual demise in around round 5 or 6.

Only then will true personnel change start to take place.
Sadly this is my concern too.

That group of players along with Weller is where I’d be looking to make changes...
Plenty of changes but simply proved that they’re not good enough to be great.

ListManager
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 28 Sep 2018 3:36pm
I would rather be mediocre for a couple more years if it means we will have a better shot at it when we are genuinely in the premiership window.
I get the idea but I just can’t see good examples of where this strategy has worked. North looked kind of OK for patches, Carlton is a basket case and our own losses of Dal Santo etc., did not work, meanwhile Sydney, Geelong, Hawthorn just stay competitve
The cliff for Sydney, Geelong and Hawthorn is getting closer. It's just lucky circumstances that have kept them up for so long. Don't worry, their turn is fast approaching.

NeXus Nick is back but where is Joffaboy????
freely
SS Hall of Fame

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 28 Sep 2018 3:36pm
it'll be interesting to see how carlton go next season. they've been getting games into players with massive potential and have taken the hit for it this year - a bit like GWS did for so many seasons.

Flagless
Club Player

bigred wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 12:51am You are talking full rebuild and resigning us to four more years in the bottom four. I don't think we are there yet. If we went down that road anyway, it could be the end of us.

Just as a point, Wright has barely been at fringe level. Goddard was a big bust unfortunately.

Trading Carlisle is just plain dumb.I mean, really, really dumb. REALLY dumb.

Trading Steven for pick 11 is not good enough. Even entertaining that number is trolling.

Stop being lazy and go back to the table and make those other clubs earn it. Get two picks in the top twenty for Steven at least. One of those should at least be top tennish. If Geelong want him they can pay for him.

Your second last paragraph is just plain wrong. They are reinforcing the midfield and at this point it is really just adding some depth. We have some serious deficiencies. I would expect some turnover. Kent vs Freeman, sorry but Kent has runs on the board, Freeman has none. Your argument there is purely speculative on Freeman achieving anything. Personally I think we gave him plenty of time. Many will disagree, but it is what it is.

I am not completely sold on Hanner's. At his best, he is a contested ball BEAST and massive runner. A huge win for us. At worst we cant get him on the park and everyone is telling us they told us so. We are shockingly one paced and our inside mids, while many can find the pill they are butchers or too slow. This guy is a very, very good footballer.

If we trade or use our fist pick this year is simply must be on a line breaking pacey mid that can find their own ball. The BEST way right now would to be someone tried and true... Such as Shiel. If we end up taking it to the draft and use it on a key posi or ruckman then we are being run by buffoons and we should get the pitchforks out. I mean, quite literally we should rock up at Linton street with Pitchforks and lit torches.

We should be shopping players though and I daresay we are. Guys like Dunstan, Newnes and some others of that ilk should be used to get us back into the second and third round of this draft. I would also expect some more of our future picks will be used to secure Hannebery, King and one or two others.

Our list needs some tuning, some class and work ethic. It is not terrible, but it went backwards in 2018.

Then there is the game plan.
[I like most of your points except the bit about Hanneberry being a very very good fortballer, change is to was and youve nailed it. Everyone is being seduced by what he was not what he is. His numbers alone for the past two years are horrible. He lacks pace, his foot skills are ordinary and thats being kind, he cant run and spread which is so essential in the modern game. Why they are targeting him is beyone me, while other clubs chase the elite like Gaff and Shiel, we continue to chase those no one else wants- it will end in tears

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Tommyj wrote: Fri 28 Sep 2018 12:26am The bloke who posted this his knowledge about football you could write on on back of a twenty cents piece with a crow bar ffs
Is this "list manager" op actually Chris Pelican?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!