Let the Pick 4 Auction Begin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Let the Pick 4 Auction Begin

Personally I have a fear that we will end up with MK who will be the next Kosi for us. A good player, but not an elite player. Not quite a key forwad and not quite a ruckman. (Hopefully I am wrong and he is better than this).

Meanwhile Rankine or Smith will both carve out very good careers.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
8bloggs
Club Player

With Walsh being a Victorian and Carlton needing a stronger midfield, it is reasonable to assume they will take him with pick 1.

It then comes down to what Gold Coast has done or will do with picks 2 and 3 as our pick 4 will only hold bargaining power if one or more of Lukosius and Rankine are still available. We have no bargaining power if both Lukosius and Rankine are not available at pick 4 and there are multiple ways this could happen: Gold Coast take both, Gold Coast take one of them and trade a pick to let Port or Adelaide take the other, or trade both picks to Port/Adelaide who then take them. In any of these scenarios Gold Coast has a lot of power, particularly if they decide to hold off trading any picks until draft night. It pretty much boils down to the type of players they want and the extent they want to gain extra picks from the Adelaide clubs. If Gold Coast decide to not select Lukosius or Rankine, they are giving away being able to improve their draft selections by forgoing the ability to gain more selections from Port or Adelaide. Interesting times indeed.

jackal
Club Player

Surely suns trade pick 3.we don't get a look in

groupie1
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 18 Oct 2018 9:10am here's a crazy scenario

Suns pick the King brothers

Port desperately want pick 4 for Lukosius. They give us 5 & 10 for 4 & 36

Now, Rankine is still there. Adelaide give us 8 & 13 for 5 & 46

They get what they want. We end up with 8,10, & 13

Would be interesting.
This is awesome.
That's almost worth going for: we end up with 3 picks under 13.

I'll add another layer:
swap those 8,10 to Carlton for Pick 1.

they need depth.

Then trade pick 1 & 13 back to GC for 2 and 3.

We end up with 2, 3, 10 and we f*** THE ADELAIDE TEAMS ROYALLY

(Obviously this will all be orchestrated beforehand... which is... let's not kid ourselves.)

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
chico2001
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 18 Oct 2018 11:30am Personally I have a fear that we will end up with MK who will be the next Kosi for us. A good player, but not an elite player. Not quite a key forwad and not quite a ruckman. (Hopefully I am wrong and he is better than this).

Meanwhile Rankine or Smith will both carve out very good careers.
If Kosi had of got us over the line in just one of those finals he would have been the biggest thing since sliced bread.

silverhalo
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 18 Oct 2018 11:19am
mad saint guy wrote: Thu 18 Oct 2018 2:59am
saintsRrising wrote: Thu 18 Oct 2018 12:51am First bite at the SA talent?

Pick 4 is not worth much extra to either SA Club if the Suns take both of the best 2 Adelaide Boys with picks 2 and 3. And talent and needs wise that is exactly who they should take.

So I would not get your hopes up to high of doing a great pick swap for pick 4.

Keeping pick 4 may be our only hope of adding an elite player to our list anytime soon.
Many rate Rozee around the same level as Lukosius and Rankine so pick 4 means access to one of the top 3 SA prospects. I think Port wouldn't mind it if we hold onto the pick because we're likely to take a Victorian kid, but Adelaide have every reason to go after it. The perfect scenario for us is that those two teams start a bidding war for pick 4. We should entertain offers from Adelaide and tell Port that we will be trading pick 4 to them unless Port comes up with a better offer.

To part with pick 4 a non-negotiable condition is getting a top 8 pick in return. The trades I would be happy with are

Pick 4, Pick 36, Pick 67 for Pick 5, Pick 15, Pick 85 from Port.
Saints have 5, 15, 46, 79, 85
Port have 4, 10, 36, 67

Pick 4, Pick 36, Pick 46, Pick 79 for Pick 8, Pick 13, Pick 21, Pick 73 from Adelaide.
Saints have 8, 13, 21, 73, 85
Crows have 4, 16, 36, 46, 79

If "many" is meant to be the majority then no. Or at least from what I have read.

The consensus of what I have read is that the first 2 are clearly above Rozee, and if so this would be reflected in any trade offers.

I agree we need a bidding war, but I only see that likely if one of the big 2 is available. Rozee will attract something I believe, but my guess is it would be less generous.

Pick 8? That is just outside of the cream. Just as our picks last year were just outside of the cream. We need a player from the cream category.

So I would want to trade with PA and not the Crows.
I'm hearing commentary around Port being REALLY keen on Connor Rozee, and if that's the case, we'd still have plenty of bargaining power with Pick 4 even if Luka and Rankine have been taken by GCS.

I'm a big fan of Max King and I'd be pretty happy if we got him but yesterday had a look at some footage of Luka and Rankine and I can see what the fuss is about - these guys are freaks - a dream come true if we could somehow land Luka (who looks like being Roo MKII) but can't see it happening.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

who's to say God Coast dont auction one of their picks? I am sure they will try and get more picks. I hope we go for the best mid available at pick 4, Smith (if Walsh gone).

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
ace
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 10:19pm Why can’t the 2019 first rounders be traded. Is this the hard and fast rule that you can’t trade your first round pick two years in a row? That one they keep making exceptions for.
You have a choice trade your future first round pick OR some of your future later round picks.
But you can't do both.
If you trade your future first round pick that excludes trading any of your future later round picks.
But more critically to most clubs if you have traded any of your future later picks you can only trade your other future later round picks but not your future first round pick.

Except if you are Hawthorn who were allowed to trade both their 2018 first round pick to St Kilda and then later their 2018 second round pick in the O'Meara deal.
They got away with it because the incompetent clowns at the AFL failed to track the originating club of traded future picks.
It would have been legal for Hawthorn to use a future pick traded in from another club.
The AFL should have immediately rejected the O'Meara trade.
They initially passed the trade and then realised Gold Coast would lose O'Meara into the pre season draft as trade time had been completed.
They quietly let the trade stand, only admitting the mistake a fortnight later despite it being called out at the time by ACE on Saintsational and comment sections of the newspapers.
It was buried deep by the football media to protect incompetent AFL.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
groupie1
Club Player

SaintWodonga wrote: Sun 21 Oct 2018 1:23pm who's to say God Coast dont auction one of their picks? I am sure they will try and get more picks. I hope we go for the best mid available at pick 4, Smith (if Walsh gone).
I can totally see that happening, given they've got 2 and 3... and could get, say, 2, 8 and 13, (by trading away pick 3) which, for depth, would help them

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
bigred
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote: Fri 19 Oct 2018 5:23am
cwrcyn wrote: Thu 18 Oct 2018 9:10am here's a crazy scenario

Suns pick the King brothers

Port desperately want pick 4 for Lukosius. They give us 5 & 10 for 4 & 36

Now, Rankine is still there. Adelaide give us 8 & 13 for 5 & 46

They get what they want. We end up with 8,10, & 13

Would be interesting.
This is awesome.
That's almost worth going for: we end up with 3 picks under 13.

I'll add another layer:
swap those 8,10 to Carlton for Pick 1.

they need depth.

Then trade pick 1 & 13 back to GC for 2 and 3.

We end up with 2, 3, 10 and we f*** THE ADELAIDE TEAMS ROYALLY

(Obviously this will all be orchestrated beforehand... which is... let's not kid ourselves.)

Fap....

Fap, Fap, Fap.

Fap.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
DJ Higgins
Club Player

If we are going to trade it, which I am against, then we do it before the draft. Or if we are after king we do it prior to draft night. If Rankin and lukosious go at 2&3 our pick loses value.
If gold coast don't want king then he will be there at 5 which we can get with port trade I think plus another high pick as well.
Personally I say no deal regardless. We have been crying out for elite talent and the top 4 all scream class's. Not counting max king as he is unknown and injured. We will get either lukosious Rankin or Smith. On paper we can't lose

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Cant lose?

Welcome to St Kilda...

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote: Sun 21 Oct 2018 1:08pm
I'm hearing commentary around Port being REALLY keen on Connor Rozee, and if that's the case, we'd still have plenty of bargaining power with Pick 4 even if Luka and Rankine have been taken by GCS.

Except that Port may well believe that if they do not trade with us, that the Saints will not take Rozee.

This may well be why they traded in Pick 5, rather than already have done a deal for our pick 4.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....