Jack Steven - mental health break

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Steven - mental health break

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 27 Feb 2019 1:32pm
tony74 wrote: Wed 27 Feb 2019 12:07pm Absolutely nothing to do with illicit substances. Absolutely nothing. It’s a private matter and he has full support of players and staff at the club.
Thanks Tony. Please ignore the totally BS rumours on here that come from who knows where.
What rumours?? Who has discussed rumours on THIS thread?

takeaway
Club Player

sunsaint wrote: Wed 27 Feb 2019 5:05pm
takeaway wrote: Wed 27 Feb 2019 8:15am

Roo made statements as a result of GT's overblown comments, and there is no indication that it had anything to do with Jack.
Sorry that's not at all true.
Both Roo and GT were being interviewed about the AFL drug policy and how the mental issue loophole had rendered the policy a farce in BOTH of their opinions.

Roo was asked mid interview about GT's comments
GT was asked during his interview about this recollection of his time as coach.
They were both being interviewed about the AFL policy .
But its hilarious how people perceive things
for whatever "reason" some are furious over the value of rife
but yet they are not upset by Roo labelling the AFL policy loophole & out of season drug usage “out of control”
Again I repeat "there is no indication that had anything to do with Jack". This thread is about Jack S, where was he mentioned in the GT/Roo statements?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

So you retract your remark about GT "overblown" comment

Seeya
freely
SS Hall of Fame

For the record, I am 100 percent supportive of Jack, not wishing to malign him in any way and wish him all the space he needs to get through his issues. But it's a fact that, in light of GT and Roo's comments, no player is going to be able to cite "mental health issues" for quite a while without everyone (excepting those blinded by the colour of this bloke or that bloke's particular jumper) assuming they're having a lend.

takeaway
Club Player

sunsaint wrote: Wed 27 Feb 2019 6:07pm So you retract your remark about GT "overblown" comment
No, not at all.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Moods wrote: Wed 27 Feb 2019 5:51pm
tony74 wrote: Wed 27 Feb 2019 12:07pm Absolutely nothing to do with illicit substances. Absolutely nothing. It’s a private matter and he has full support of players and staff at the club.
Thanks Tony. Please ignore the totally BS rumours on here that come from who knows where.
Serious?
People on this forum have alluded that Hannebery and Stevens are on the good stuff due to their absences.
Its BS. Couldn't be further from the truth.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Exactly, no rumours, just perfectly legitimate questions being asked in light of the events of the past week or so.

And I was perfectly happy with the clarification that was given.

Though I find it hypocritical how opposition players and clubs are fair game with rumours when it comes to this subject yet our players and club are untouchable?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Wed 27 Feb 2019 6:28pm For the record, I am 100 percent supportive of Jack, not wishing to malign him in any way and wish him all the space he needs to get through his issues. But it's a fact that, in light of GT and Roo's comments, no player is going to be able to cite "mental health issues" for quite a while without everyone (excepting those blinded by the colour of this bloke or that bloke's particular jumper) assuming they're having a lend.
100% correct freely. And herein lies the tragedy. Players that in the past have sought to play the 'mental health' card to avoid drug detection, have now smeared all players who have put their hand up and stated they were suffering, with the same brush. How are we, joe public, supposed to distinguish between players who are genuine and those that wish to avoid a drug suspension??

Do we believe because he wears our colours? Like I said earlier, would ppl on here give Dusty Martin or Tom Liberatore the benefit of the doubt? I'm only guessing but I doubt it. Jack has not been a clean skin in this area, but that doesn't mean he isn't genuine in this instance. All it does is shine a light on the issue that Roo and GT were talking about. It actually creates cynicism. Wayne Schwass who is a huge mental health advocate has been critical of players playing the mental health card when they haven't even been seeing a doctor or a psych.

For the record one of my best mates went through a marriage breakdown a few years back. He needed 6 weeks off work and was genuinely suffering from depression. Could barely function. I do understand that marriage/family breakdowns are a very real stressor for numerous people, despite other ppl coping remarkably well. We're all different.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Wed 27 Feb 2019 6:07pm So you retract your remark about GT "overblown" comment
Double standards are 'out of control' on internet forums

Moods
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 27 Feb 2019 7:07pm
Serious?
People on this forum have alluded that Hannebery and Stevens are on the good stuff due to their absences.
First up this thread is about Jack Steven. Pretty sure Hannebery's name hasn't been brought up until now. That's a completely separate thread.
I think you're confused about the difference of a rumour and a query. There were rumours alluded to in the Hannebery thread. I'm not overly invested either way - I just want him out on the ground!

I, along with others, asked a question that was brought to the attention of everyone by a guy I respect almost as much as anyone at the St Kilda footy club. A bloke who captained our club for 10 years and in my view is in the 3 greatest players ever to have represented our club. He said players are taking the piss re drug tests and playing the mental health card. That players are claiming this to avoid drug testing because they were already on 2 x strikes. DAYS later Jack and the club announced he would be taking a break for mental health reasons. Posters are claiming 'so what? Jack's name wasn't mentioned.' As if it would be. As if Roo would start naming names.

My query is simply that at best Roo's statement is a little insensitive as he MUST have known of Jack's issues and pending announcement of taking a rest from the game due to mental health problems. Whether you like it or not, Jack has history re drugs and a club suspension as a result in the past. Did Roo know about Jack's personal issues? I find it hard to believe he didn't given Roo's standing at the club. He may not of as it's a very private matter, but who knows? I love Roo but he has thrown Jack under the bus, either deliberately or by accident.

This is an internet forum. Wondering out aloud about the veracity of a situation may seem insensitive. If it's a player from another club though, no-one really seems to care. As someone I highly respect as an investigator once said to me - coincidences are at best very suspicious.

I just want our players out on the park playing. I certainly don't wish Jack any ill will and definitely want him to be mentally sound.

Just out of curiosity - how can you say with definitiveness that any suggestion of Jack using is total BS?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Just plain wow.

Wow.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
derby Street
Club Player

Moods wrote: Wed 27 Feb 2019 9:57pm
Serious?
First up this thread is about Jack Steven. Pretty sure Hannebery's name hasn't been brought up until now. That's a completely separate thread.
I think you're confused about the difference of a rumour and a query. There were rumours alluded to in the Hannebery thread. I'm not overly invested either way - I just want him out on the ground!

I, along with others, asked a question that was brought to the attention of everyone by a guy I respect almost as much as anyone at the St Kilda footy club. A bloke who captained our club for 10 years and in my view is in the 3 greatest players ever to have represented our club. He said players are taking the piss re drug tests and playing the mental health card. That players are claiming this to avoid drug testing because they were already on 2 x strikes. DAYS later Jack and the club announced he would be taking a break for mental health reasons. Posters are claiming 'so what? Jack's name wasn't mentioned.' As if it would be. As if Roo would start naming names.

My query is simply that at best Roo's statement is a little insensitive as he MUST have known of Jack's issues and pending announcement of taking a rest from the game due to mental health problems. Whether you like it or not, Jack has history re drugs and a club suspension as a result in the past. Did Roo know about Jack's personal issues? I find it hard to believe he didn't given Roo's standing at the club. He may not of as it's a very private matter, but who knows? I love Roo but he has thrown Jack under the bus, either deliberately or by accident.

This is an internet forum. Wondering out aloud about the veracity of a situation may seem insensitive. If it's a player from another club though, no-one really seems to care. As someone I highly respect as an investigator once said to me - coincidences are at best very suspicious.

I just want our players out on the park playing. I certainly don't wish Jack any ill will and definitely want him to be mentally sound.

Just out of curiosity - how can you say with definitiveness that any suggestion of Jack using is total BS?
Just the same as I could not with any certainty suggest that you are not a rapist, rock spider, wife beater

Moods
Saintsational Legend

derby Street wrote: Wed 27 Feb 2019 10:33pm
Moods wrote: Wed 27 Feb 2019 9:57pm
Serious?

Just the same as I could not with any certainty suggest that you are not a rapist, rock spider, wife beater
And I know that that is intended at a dig at me, but you're spot on. You're exactly right. We've never met

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

There’s a difference between asking a question and making an implication.

The author of the post in question clearly asked a question. He phrased it as a question and clearly implied he had no information suggesting one thing or another.

It seems pretty unfair that he gets accused of creating rumours...

Look at me... too afraid to even post his name for fear of banning whilst others are continued to be allowed to sink the boots into him thread after thread.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Quite often 'the first thing that comes to mind' is an indication of character. It sometimes escapes unfiltered through the mouth. The thought itself is not a sin, for children it is an important part of learning and developing wisdom, maturity, and sensibility.
As children grow, mature and obtain wisdom, they begin to understand the effects of sensitivity on others.
Some adults never quite master this and become very skilled at identifying sensitivities regardless of the lack of ability to relate to the emotions of others.
As part of a community, they seem only to value there own thoughts, and opinion, even when faced with negative feedback, outrage and fury.
Ive learnt that a miserably inadequate thought and an apathetic thought are not the same thing. It has taught me when to speak and when to keep my mouth shut.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

In some countries if you ask a question regarding government officials or anyone related to the monarchy they lock you up in prison or even worse if it's regarding the king or queen. Apparently it is a sign of disrespect

There is no question that Jack is a champion of the club but some supporters think it's disrespectful by just asking questions.

As a selfish supporter I'd like to see him back playing footy hopefully in 5-6 weeks time. I think Jack can do as he pleases for the next few weeks (within reason) and as long as he has good friends and family around to provide positive energy and support and as long he keeps safe it is hopefully not going to affect his footy in the long term.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 28 Feb 2019 8:40am In some countries if you ask a question regarding government officials or anyone related to the monarchy they lock you up in prison or even worse if it's regarding the king or queen. Apparently it is a sign of disrespect

There is no question that Jack is a champion of the club but some supporters think it's disrespectful by just asking questions.

Asking questions is fine, even challenging the integrity of a loyal 4 time Best and Fairest winner is ok. This not a dictatorship and no one is subjected to supporting St.Kilda. Expecting answers that will give you clarity on a dedicated fan forum? Im not sure what this is?

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Let's not lose focus of the facts here. Jack Steven has requested time to get his head space right. Young guy whose marriage is in trouble.

No one on here KNOWS why that happened but it did and he is trying to figure out what to do next as he is most likely not thinking about footy and his focus will be off and he will make mistakes so he is taking a break.

He is still training while away and club has offered to send over a coach if needed but he just wants some space. Give him a fortnight and reassess until then can we all just cool our jets a little

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 28 Feb 2019 9:16am
Scollop wrote: Thu 28 Feb 2019 8:40am In some countries if you ask a question regarding government officials or anyone related to the monarchy they lock you up in prison or even worse if it's regarding the king or queen. Apparently it is a sign of disrespect

Asking questions is fine, even challenging the integrity of a loyal 4 time Best and Fairest winner is ok. This not a dictatorship and no one is subjected to supporting St.Kilda. Expecting answers that will give you clarity on a dedicated fan forum? Im not sure what this is?
Just clearing up your quoting and reply...I did not write any of the highlighted stuff

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 28 Feb 2019 12:41pm

Just clearing up your quoting and reply...I did not write any of the highlighted stuff
Yeah my bad.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 28 Feb 2019 4:27pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 28 Feb 2019 12:41pm

Yeah my bad.
How did that happen?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From Robbo at the hun.

"If there was a ladder of rumours, the Saints would be on top with the double chance.

It’s a nasty world social media and the Saints have copped it.

But don’t panic, Saints fans, for the club has assured us they are all untrue.

That they have to deal with them, which includes asking their players, has frustrated them."

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Why is this happening?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

saynta wrote: Thu 28 Feb 2019 4:34pm From Robbo at the hun.

That they (the clubs/stkilda) have to deal with them, which includes asking their players, has frustrated them."
NONE OF THIS IS ACCUSING JS OF ANYTHING - NO ONE HERE IS ACCUSING JS OF ANYTHING
REPEAT THIS IS NOT A RUMOUR OR INNUENDO

everyone needs to understand what the Robbo sentence means
the AFL does off season testing the afl gets results they do not inform clubs of players names
player says to afl I've got mental health issues- no ban - "here's the ph number of a good counselor" of which there is no contractual obligation to see

clubs are left in the dark

my point about this whole discussion
GT relates a story about drugs during his time as coach - gets reamed
Roo tarnishes the whole playing group explaining the mental health loophole - nothing...

Seeya
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

I’m sure family is the main issue but GT was right.. let’s leave it at that.. :|