McCartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Re: McCartin

Sadly I don’t think he suits our manic style & is not best 22. No room for dinosaurs such as Paddy & Longer in today’s footy. Also interesting that Dunstan, a slow one pace midfielder, is also out of favour. Anyway, I just hope Paddy has no further issues with his longterm health.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote: Tue 23 Apr 2019 11:10am Sadly I don’t think he suits our manic style & is not best 22. No room for dinosaurs such as Paddy & Longer in today’s footy. Also interesting that Dunstan, a slow one pace midfielder, is also out of favour. Anyway, I just hope Paddy has no further issues with his longterm health.
It seemed pre-season Paddy was in the planning as he played in the opening JLT games and certainly looked fitter and more mobile than we had seen him in previous seasons.

But I agree its hard to think where Paddy would fit into the current team structure.
The team style seems to have evolved, even since round one where Pierce was preferred to Marshall as the sole ruck.

The mobile forwards moving up and down the ground and out running their defenders back into the forward 50 creating a mismatch or extra numbers seems to be working beautifully, where would Paddy fit?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote: Tue 23 Apr 2019 11:10am Sadly I don’t think he suits our manic style & is not best 22. No room for dinosaurs such as Paddy & Longer in today’s footy. Also interesting that Dunstan, a slow one pace midfielder, is also out of favour. Anyway, I just hope Paddy has no further issues with his longterm health.

This year apart for our new game plan the Saints are as a team:
- Quicker
- Fitter and more mobile (ie can can sustain running for longer
- More skilled by foot

Paddy will not help with the first 2. Longer helps with none of them.

If say Bruce is out, and even if Paddy was available, I would right hear and now prefer Battle to move forward and Joyce or Marshall to play CHB instead of battle.

Joyce and Marshall are both very quick and can run. Joyce's ball use this year was very good and way above what he showed last year, together wit his ability to read the play.

Now having said that in the JLT, Paddy was noticeably fitter and his run had improved.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Myron Gaines
Club Player

Agree with both of you regarding Paddy’s pre season fitness being improved. But I still think he was a long way off it. He still didn’t look like an elite sportsman. In today’s footy, forwards need to rack up the miles constantly going forwards & back.

Perhaps his best position could’ve been sitting in the hole at CHB like McGovern where running is reduced.

If Bruce or Membrey go down Battle can go forward with White taking his role in the backline or Marshall can spend more time forward with Pierce coming into the side. When Carlisle returns he’s also capable of playing forward. King the obvious longterm solution.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote: Tue 23 Apr 2019 2:23pm

If Bruce or Membrey go down Battle can go forward with White taking his role in the backline o
White is 188 and Battle 193.

Battle has been more playing CHB, and White is more a flanker.

So if Battle goes forward I think it would be either Joyce 194 or Marsh 194. Both of these guys are quick and mobile and suited to our new game plan.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Tue 23 Apr 2019 11:00am
Moods wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 8:48pm
Cairnsman wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 8:38pm
Moods wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 8:13pm
Cairnsman wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 7:18pm
Moods wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 2:05pm
Crossy66 wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 1:25pm
Moods wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 12:36pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 11:54am

So every club that's taken a No.1 pick should admit their mistake, that'd be most of them. We're one of the few Clubs that's taken a No.1 that's turned out to be a gun, Riewoldt & Goddard. Then there were Hodge (Hawthorn's recruiter was sacked for taking him ahead of Judd) & Cooney. Whitfield probably will be a gun and every other Club to an extent stuffed up their No.1.
I've actually gone over the #1 draft picks for the last 25 years - and no club has come close to stuffing it up like the Saints have. We may well have got the best #1 draft pick ever in Roo, but not since the mid to late 80's of the draft has a club ballsed it up like the Saints have with Paddy. Using the disclaimer of 'if not for his health' doesn't wash either in my eyes. His health was very much common knowledge before we drafted him. Not like after we drafted him he mentioned casually, 'BTW I have type 1 diabetes.'

The closest I can see for it being a bust like Paddy is Tom Boyd - the guy that should have won the Norm Smith in 2016 in a premiership winning team but has since done stuff all. The irony of that comparison is that it was the Tom Boyd draft that spooked us into selecting Paddy instead of Petracca......
I am still sticking with the Tiges and Richard Lounder :D

Haha. Which is why I restricted my research to the last 25 years Crossy. There were some absolute disasters in the mid to late 80's/early 90's when drafting was nothing like what it is today in terms of science, testing and research into players.
Jack Watts

Yep. Not #1 standard, and yet has still played many very good games and I expect will play 150 games. He is exactly who I was referring to when I said you'd expect 150 games as a minimum from a #1 draft pick. His output is miles in front of Paddy's and even if he quit tomorrow will always be.
How many are you expecting Paddy to play?
I expect him to either retire or be delisted by the club at the end of the year. Completely irresponsible of the club to play a young bloke who has had 8 concussions in 5 years and is still recovering from his latest knock 5 weeks later from what appeared to be nothing more than an innocuous knock. Incredible that the club are even considering it

If he does play again I wouldn't expect him to last half a season maximum before getting himself concussed. Surely no-one else on here expects anything different do they? Where is the evidence that he can absorb the knocks at this level??

In a world where Paddy never gets concussed (parallel universe) I would expect that he would play another 2-3 seasons before being delisted on exposed form. That is only because he is a former #1 draft pick and everyone would give him the maximum amount of opportunities. As I said before, any other player would probably have been delisted by now.
Too much contradiction and random logic about that to know what it means or how it relates to the facts of what's happening between Paddy and the club.
Righto well I'll make it simple for you. I expect Paddy to play zero more games for the club. He's at the moment, not good enough and not healthy enough to play at the level.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Maybe our forwards could clear out the F50 and drag their oppo with them, like that time we isolated Gehrig against Norf?
Paddy just roams within F50 arc, one-on-one with his direct oppo.
Opp ruck can't go in there as extra because Marshall will be unopposed.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Tue 23 Apr 2019 2:55pm

So every club that's taken a No.1 pick should admit their mistake, that'd be most of them. We're one of the few Clubs that's taken a No.1 that's turned out to be a gun, Riewoldt & Goddard. Then there were Hodge (Hawthorn's recruiter was sacked for taking him ahead of Judd) & Cooney. Whitfield probably will be a gun and every other Club to an extent stuffed up their No.1.
I've actually gone over the #1 draft picks for the last 25 years - and no club has come close to stuffing it up like the Saints have. We may well have got the best #1 draft pick ever in Roo, but not since the mid to late 80's of the draft has a club ballsed it up like the Saints have with Paddy. Using the disclaimer of 'if not for his health' doesn't wash either in my eyes. His health was very much common knowledge before we drafted him. Not like after we drafted him he mentioned casually, 'BTW I have type 1 diabetes.'

The closest I can see for it being a bust like Paddy is Tom Boyd - the guy that should have won the Norm Smith in 2016 in a premiership winning team but has since done stuff all. The irony of that comparison is that it was the Tom Boyd draft that spooked us into selecting Paddy instead of Petracca......

Haha. Which is why I restricted my research to the last 25 years Crossy. There were some absolute disasters in the mid to late 80's/early 90's when drafting was nothing like what it is today in terms of science, testing and research into players.
Jack Watts

Yep. Not #1 standard, and yet has still played many very good games and I expect will play 150 games. He is exactly who I was referring to when I said you'd expect 150 games as a minimum from a #1 draft pick. His output is miles in front of Paddy's and even if he quit tomorrow will always be.
I expect him to either retire or be delisted by the club at the end of the year. Completely irresponsible of the club to play a young bloke who has had 8 concussions in 5 years and is still recovering from his latest knock 5 weeks later from what appeared to be nothing more than an innocuous knock. Incredible that the club are even considering it

If he does play again I wouldn't expect him to last half a season maximum before getting himself concussed. Surely no-one else on here expects anything different do they? Where is the evidence that he can absorb the knocks at this level??

In a world where Paddy never gets concussed (parallel universe) I would expect that he would play another 2-3 seasons before being delisted on exposed form. That is only because he is a former #1 draft pick and everyone would give him the maximum amount of opportunities. As I said before, any other player would probably have been delisted by now.
Too much contradiction and random logic about that to know what it means or how it relates to the facts of what's happening between Paddy and the club.
Righto well I'll make it simple for you. I expect Paddy to play zero more games for the club. He's at the moment, not good enough and not healthy enough to play at the level.
Claiming he's not good enough brings me back to the point in my previous post: too much contradiction and random logic to even be relevant in terms of what is going on between Paddy and the club. Are you sure you're not confusing your expectations with silly wild guess work?

Myron Gaines
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 23 Apr 2019 2:31pm
Myron Gaines wrote: Tue 23 Apr 2019 2:23pm

If Bruce or Membrey go down Battle can go forward with White taking his role in the backline o
White is 188 and Battle 193.

Battle has been more playing CHB, and White is more a flanker.

So if Battle goes forward I think it would be either Joyce 194 or Marsh 194. Both of these guys are quick and mobile and suited to our new game plan.
I wouldn’t want Joyce & Brown in the same team. Be interesting to see what type of player Marsh is at the top level. I’ve read he’s quick & versatile but we’ll see.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If it was just based on doctor's and lawyer's advice and emotion and relationships and friendships were removed from the decision making, I wonder if there'd still be a debate.

I'm glad we have a former banker as our list manager. In the investment banking world you have to be flexible and adapt when your initial reasons for investing have changed. I hope James Gallagher has as much say as the selection panel and the head coach on whether Paddy is the best option as a KPF with all risk factors being considered regarding his ability to remain healthy during games and perform for the team

Those who cut their losses early and nimbly refocus their efforts and their resources usually prosper. Sometimes you have to change your priorities and you just have to make decisions without any emotion.

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 23 Apr 2019 6:20pm If it was just based on doctor's and lawyer's advice and emotion and relationships and friendships were removed from the decision making, I wonder if there'd still be a debate.

I'm glad we have a former banker as our list manager. In the investment banking world you have to be flexible and adapt when your initial reasons for investing have changed. I hope James Gallegher has as much say as the selection panel and the head coach on whether Paddy is the best option as a KPF with all risk factors being considered regarding his ability to remain healthy during games and perform for the team

Those who cut their losses early and nimbly refocus their efforts and their resources usually prosper. Sometimes you have to change your priorities and you just have to make decisions without any emotion.
Nah, keep the emotion in footy. Too many numbers and analysis nowadays, it's getting boring. Go Paddy.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Tue 23 Apr 2019 3:11pm
Moods wrote: Tue 23 Apr 2019 2:55pm

Jack Watts

Claiming he's not good enough brings me back to the point in my previous post: too much contradiction and random logic to even be relevant in terms of what is going on between Paddy and the club. Are you sure you're not confusing your expectations with silly wild guess work?
What's contradictory about it? I've said I expect him to play zero games based on his health but also on his ability. Of course it's guess work. You're asking me for my opinion on how many games I expect he'll play. I expect him to play zero and I want him to play zero based on his concussion history. I don't need his medical history in front of me to know that he's now putting himself in serious risk of long term brain damage if he continues down this track. I'm not sure what you're getting at?? :?

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

If Max King eventually steps into CHF/FF, I’m not sure how Paddy is ever going to find a place in St Kilda’s mix. The clock really is ticking for him to get some continuity in his game.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Paddy had been around the club apparently. Still no word on what is happening long term.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Myron Gaines
Club Player

Max King 1-2 weeks away...

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

McCartin to play in the back line if he comes back this year according to Richo on Talking Footy but he is still feeling the effects of the last knock.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

Makes sense.
Facing the footy, no running back with the flight, playing from behind.
Minimises knocks to the head.
But still allows him to utilise his aerial judgement.

He could be our McGovern.

Sounds like this is the only option.
Defence or over the fence.

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Not sure it’s going to help. If they think he’ll be the McGovern intercept mark type then that requires getting in the way of people/packs trying to take marks, which sounds like a recipe to cop a few hits.

I don’t think there’s anywhere on a football field we’ll be able to hide him.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Can see it working for six weeks at best.

Then he will land on his head and its all over.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2019 12:20am Can see it working for six weeks at best.

Nah mate. He's a ripper. He's a ten year player. We'll find another spot for him if the backline thing doesn't work

He could be the prototype wingman who is your go to option when you bomb the ball sideways after a centre bounce clearance. McClunkin will just be McCluck as in chicken as in 'wing' ...I think it's worth giving it a shot

Special
Club Player

bigred wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2019 12:20am Can see it working for six weeks at best.

Exactly. And then what??

It’s a legal debacle.

Will the AFL step in and save us from ourselves and stop it??

DJ Higgins
Club Player

On news they said he would now be tried as a back

guitars4
Club Player

Said it before will say it again Paddy is a great bloke but due to his susceptibility to concussion he cannot continue to play AFL footy at any level unless it is a non contact version. :(

To the top
SS Life Member

Any commenting on here ever been concussed?

If so, what was the medical advice?

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

I reckon they will give Paddy one last chance as a key back next year. That is what I'm reading into it.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.