An Unfortunate Reality

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

An Unfortunate Reality

The reality is quite stark. We have only beaten one side above 15th on the ladder. Our wins have been against 18th Gold Coast (twice), 17th Carlton, 16th Melbourne, 15th Hawthorn and 10th Essendon.
Sadly I believe we hold the unenviable record of being the ONLY team outside the 8 not to have beaten a team inside the 8. (Gold Coast def Fremantle; Carlton def Brisbane & Fremantle; Melbourne def Fremantle; Hawthorn def GWS; Western Bulldogs def Richmond & Brisbane; Sydney def West Coast; North Melbourne def Richmond & GWS; Essendon def Brisbane, Fremantle & GWS; Port Adelaide def Geelong)
It seems widely agreed that Alan Richardson has a trigger clause in his contract, where he automatically stays for next season if the Saints win a final. Sportsbet is currently offering odds of 26-1 (which is less than 4%) that we won’t make the 8.
A week ago Simon Lethlean stated, “We've got to start beating some teams above us.”
And a few days before that Andrew Bassat said, “(We) need to start regularly beating Top 8 sides.”
When rating our draw for 2019 Champion Data said, ‘Only St Kilda was considered to have a simpler draw than the Crows.’ Yes, we were rated as having the AFL’s easiest draw.
After Round 11 Champion Data said, ‘… But back to the run home, where St Kilda, 12th on the ladder with a 5-6 record, has the easiest final 11 games. The only time the Saints face a top-four side is when they take on the Cats in round 17, while they also take on the Lions, Richmond (sixth) and eighth-placed Adelaide.
It really looks pretty clear. The draw is favourable. After a tough year with injuries we have a number of players back. We could win some games but that elusive finals game (that Richo needs) is out of the equation.

ss1986
Club Player

Re: An Unfortunate Reality

DownAtTheJunction wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2019 11:39pm The reality is quite stark. We have only beaten one side above 15th on the ladder. Our wins have been against 18th Gold Coast (twice), 17th Carlton, 16th Melbourne, 15th Hawthorn and 10th Essendon.
Sadly I believe we hold the unenviable record of being the ONLY team outside the 8 not to have beaten a team inside the 8. (Gold Coast def Fremantle; Carlton def Brisbane & Fremantle; Melbourne def Fremantle; Hawthorn def GWS; Western Bulldogs def Richmond & Brisbane; Sydney def West Coast; North Melbourne def Richmond & GWS; Essendon def Brisbane, Fremantle & GWS; Port Adelaide def Geelong)
It seems widely agreed that Alan Richardson has a trigger clause in his contract, where he automatically stays for next season if the Saints win a final. Sportsbet is currently offering odds of 26-1 (which is less than 4%) that we won’t make the 8.
A week ago Simon Lethlean stated, “We've got to start beating some teams above us.”
And a few days before that Andrew Bassat said, “(We) need to start regularly beating Top 8 sides.”
When rating our draw for 2019 Champion Data said, ‘Only St Kilda was considered to have a simpler draw than the Crows.’ Yes, we were rated as having the AFL’s easiest draw.
After Round 11 Champion Data said, ‘… But back to the run home, where St Kilda, 12th on the ladder with a 5-6 record, has the easiest final 11 games. The only time the Saints face a top-four side is when they take on the Cats in round 17, while they also take on the Lions, Richmond (sixth) and eighth-placed Adelaide.
It really looks pretty clear. The draw is favourable. After a tough year with injuries we have a number of players back. We could win some games but that elusive finals game (that Richo needs) is out of the equation.
I think you stumbled upon the grand plan......... drop as low as possible, then every win we get satisfies this criteria :)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

He goes if we make finals for mine - 6 years ...seen enough even with a soft draw we’ve been found wanting
If we get Scott I reckon we are in really big strife he is a spud
FFS give Ratten a go
I get the mathematical probability.....actually......let’s focus on when that’s likely to be up?

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

But what a legacy Richo would leave behind
#buildingsomethingspecial

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if Alan will sit next to Finnis and Lethlean like Bolton did next to the Carlton hierarchy

#AdamGilchristWalkedAndApparentlySoWillAlan

Special
Club Player

It’s a fixture not a draw

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I find it really pleasing that Richo doesn't take a lot of notice of the negative press and you doom and gloom guys.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/spi ... 522rn.html

"St Kilda coach Alan Richardson has again dismissed the speculation about his future as ''outside noise'' after the Saints lost to Richmond by 33 points and dropped to 14th on the ladder.

''I think the outside noise and the impact it has on footy clubs is probably overstated,'' said Richardson, who in this round overtook Grant Thomas as second behind only the 1966 premiership coach Alan Jeans for the most games as St Kilda coach."

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I don't think Richo notices much.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 6:15pm I don't think Richo notices much.
Under-rated post...!!

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

And therein is the problem with Richo. He doesn't see the obivious. While others see problems he just focuses on effort and cracking in. Never mind about a game plan. Just bring great effort to the next contest and play Saints footy, which is code for losing.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

Unfortunately the ballistic effort is good for about a quarter but it really is unsustainable. Clearly the players wanted to respond to the previous game but the attack needs to be more measured, and of course, be balanced by strategy.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

GCS sit on the bottom have beaten them by a combined total of 5 points over both games & should have lost the first one! The whole club needs a reboot !

PADDLEPOP1000