letter from Richo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

letter from Richo

He obviously wasn't thanking a number of posters on Saintsational who continually denigrated him and his performance.

https://www.saints.com.au/news/2019-07- ... from-richo

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: letter from Richo

The contents of said letter.

"To the St Kilda faithful,

Following today’s announcement, I wanted to take this opportunity to thank all St Kilda members and fans for their support over the past six years.

It has been a great honour to hold the position of senior coach at a club that is loved by so many, and I will always be thankful for the opportunity.

Stepping aside immediately allows the club to move on with the planning for next year without any distraction regarding my position.

I am disappointed that we haven’t been able to deliver the success you deserve, but I know the club is now better placed than ever for the future.

We have a young and talented group, who as we saw against Geelong last week, have the ability and character to drive this club forward.

On a personal note, I have genuinely enjoyed meeting a huge number of fans across Australia – from those who attend open training sessions at Moorabbin, to those who provide so much support when we travel interstate.

Don’t ever underestimate the enormous impact your passion has on our players, and I encourage you to get behind the red, white and black for the remainder of this season and beyond.

Thanks,
Alan"

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Oh man I wish he had have signed it 'Cho'.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

I've chatted with Richo several times and he was genuine and very easy to connect with....I do value that he cared deeply for player welfare.
Can't say any bad stuff now that he is dead and buried.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Why didn't he just say Rd 23 is his last game, and keep going?
Then gamble on White, Royal Doulton, Joyce etc
because he's no longer coaching for his career.
He can take risks.
Why walk now?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Josh Battle
Club Player

Firstly, he's walking because it makes no sense to coach out the year when he is not going to be part of the future. He admitted that he's had a go (he is thankful that he's given it a fair crack) and now it is time for someone else.

Secondly, If your employer tells you that in 6-7 weeks time you'll no longer have a job, and if you want to get paid out you can walk away now with full pay for season 2019, what would you do?

Thirdly, If there wasn't media rumblings all year and if Roo and others didn't openly discuss what was in his contract, perhaps he would have stayed but when it is clear that his time is up and when it is clear that there is a groundswell for change from within the club at all levels, then he had no choice imo.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

He also stated it was difficult talking to potential signings when he knew he wouldn't be there next year. Good enough reason for him to walk now.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Thanks for all your efforts Alan. You did your best and built a good culture at the club after taking over a dead set bottom placed list. You gave a 100% and a lot was out of your control here and there.

Genuinely good bloke and footy person. He could teach a few things to some people that don't uphold simple values such as deceny and respect.

All the best. 👍

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Man of integrity

Ask anyone who worked with him or knew him.

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

I for one, uphold the simple values of deceny and respect - thanks for your learnings Alan!

Look again it's the Flash!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Linton Street Flash wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2019 5:14pm I for one, uphold the simple values of deceny and respect - thanks for your learnings Alan!
Yeah, sure you do. :roll:

""Now Alan's gone, it frees up a bit of my time to keep an eye on the Southern Saints... hmmm, that tall blond goes alright"

The flash referring to the directer of coaching.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/a-v ... 527to.html

"Richardson leaves on good terms, with the players, the club and evidently the St Kilda community. Grant Thomas took the Saints to finals, Ross Lyon to grand finals, but upon their departures were met with jeers as well as tears. On Tuesday, there was only sadness, for Richardson, and that it had come to this again.

Job done, Richardson shook hands with Finnis and acknowledged a round of applause. It was the most dignified exit since Sydney Carton in Dickens' A Tale Of Two Cities. But metaphorically, it was to the same fate."

HighettMan
Club Player

I know certain posters on here sniggered when I suggested Alan will be leaving a good legacy but I genuinely believe he has, as do many others.

The departure was professional and done in such a way that the club and players are not stuck in the type of kaos that usually surrounds coach departures. Kaos that makes it much harder to settle down and get the club focused agian.
Last edited by HighettMan on Wed 17 Jul 2019 7:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
older saint
SS Life Member

Didnt always agree with a lot of his selection decisions and some positional decisions however win or lose he always has carried himself with a level of class and nothing changed in his departure.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

A very classy and dignified end.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

He hasn't died, he's just changing jobs. He will be fine. Not sure about the club and its CEO, but.