Interesting selection

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Interesting selection

B.M wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 11:56pm I know it’s only a selected team, and there maybe changes on the way it lines up, but

Five things most have been crying out for after getting rid of AR

Newnes dropped - lining up on the wing
Ross dropped - lining up in the midfield
Gresham Forward - lining up in the midfield
Acres in the guts - on the extended bench
White in the side - not even on extended bench, and Rowe, Rice, Joyce are

Seems not a lot has changed in selection as many hoped it would?

Is it possible, that Acres and White are just not that great, and that’s why they are often overlooked or played out of position?
Acres and White are definitely NOT Great players, they may even be GOP's.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Sat 20 Jul 2019 12:00pm
B.M wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 11:56pm I know it’s only a selected team, and there maybe changes on the way it lines up, but

Is it possible, that Acres and White are just not that great, and that’s why they are often overlooked or played out of position?
Nothing about their body of work to date screams great. GOP is fair but I don't see either as a below average player. Is that a BAP?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 20 Jul 2019 12:10pm
bobmurray wrote: Sat 20 Jul 2019 12:00pm

Nothing about their body of work to date screams great. GOP is fair but I don't see either as a below average player. Is that a BAP?

Could be a NUTI

Not Up To it

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I'm one that wants to see White in the team. However, perhaps its just a case of White foolishly not been included by Richo when he was fit again and now its a matter of who makes way for White? You wouldn't drop Coffield who is playing the position White would play.

On Newnes, I'm convinced that he's only getting a game, despite his form, because we have a number of leaders already sidelined. The question is, if Geary, Roberton, Hannebery & Steven were all available, would Newnes still be selected on his current form? Maybe not.

We cannot yet see if Ratten intends to use three tall forwards as he currently doesn't have the players (Battle) available.

If we consign Gresham to a small forward role, then what a waste of a substantial 4 year contract. Lonie is a better small forward. Gresham needs to become a mid, he started the year well there. He must work harder and build his tank.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Possibly Bob but I think they have shown they are.

Here's an exercise, a package deal. Who do you keep?

Newnes & Sinclair

OR

Acres & White

Personally I prefer players with higher ceilings but the trick is finding the right way to get them there. My choice is Acres & White.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’d choose Acres and Sinclair

Both have played good games at AFL level

Just not consistent

Newnes is a GOP and White can’t get a game in a decimated team

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

White not getting a game in a decimated team is perplexing. I'd really like to know the back story there. He's got the build & the tools.

How about the packages l proposed though B.M., no mix & matching. Although I do agree with your mix & match.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Sort of disagree about White having a good build, I don’t think he has built an AFL body, not sure he trains hard enough and is professional enough, which is holding him back. Also, don’t think he’s the sharpest tool in the shed, and the penny hasn’t dropped with him, as to why he’s on the outer.

HighettMan
Club Player

Newnes has also had very good games at AFL level so no reason why he can't deliver on that again.

Is very versatile too. Remember the games where he was sat in F50 and took contested marks and kicked bags of goals.

I believe Newnes best is ahead of him.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Sat 20 Jul 2019 3:07pm Newnes has also had very good games at AFL level so no reason why he can't deliver on that again.

Is very versatile too. Remember the games where he was sat in F50 and took contested marks and kicked bags of goals.

I'd love to think that but my worry is he's plateaued for the past two seasons, probably gone backwards. 150 games now and 25 of his past 35 have been average at best, putrid at worst.

I remember those games in the forward line, was good a couple of times but could be argued that move stunted his progression to the point he's been unable to recapture his utility role.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Lets see how these guys go under a new coach. Please.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think Newnes is playing too heavy, looks about 85, should be around 80

Lost his running power, which was his strength at his best, he was a hard running HB/Wingman who got 20-25 per game

Now, a slowish HF/wingman who gets 15-20 per game

His lack of creativity and skill by foot means 15 possessions from him is basically a nothing game.

Never seen a guy get his kicks smothered so often, maybe Jason Blake or Bruce... means he is slow hand to foot and lacks awareness.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Currently we are 15th on the ladder and we were shite last year, there's no point keeping all these players.

The list needs another churn, but not spud for spud or GOP for GOP.

Tough job being a list manager.

saintadamski
Club Player

HighettMan wrote: Sat 20 Jul 2019 3:07pm Newnes has also had very good games at AFL level so no reason why he can't deliver on that again.

I don't.
He is the turnover king.
His decision making, ferocity at the contest, and ability to win a one on one are all very very poor.

Not sure how anyone can view him as a decent player after actually watching him play for the last few years....beggars belief to me

HighettMan
Club Player

saintadamski wrote: Sun 21 Jul 2019 2:20am

I don't.
He is the turnover king.
His decision making, ferocity at the contest, and ability to win a one on one are all very very poor.

Not sure how anyone can view him as a decent player after actually watching him play for the last few years....beggars belief to me
Depends who's been watching him and if you are a rational and logical thinker and not just a fan that doesn't have a deep understanding of how team sport works and prefers to just relentlessly run someone down from the security of an anonymous social media account because it makes you feel better. Not saying that is you though. You seem like you have inside knowledge that can't be questioned.

Special
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 20 Jul 2019 3:21pm Lets see how these guys go under a new coach. Please.
You mean Ratts or the permanent one?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

can we stop the Bont ? don't think so..he will have a day out.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 20 Jul 2019 2:08pm Possibly Bob but I think they have shown they are.

Newnes & Sinclair

OR

Acres & White

Personally I prefer players with higher ceilings but the trick is finding the right way to get them there. My choice is Acres & White.
I would look to trade all 4. We just can’t keep players on the off chance they may deliver.

All 4 would have some currency at other clubs Melbourne is going to want to mix it up. GCS would love a Newnes type for experience and leadership. Not saying it will happen but we must be aggressive in our trading.

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Sun 21 Jul 2019 12:41pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 20 Jul 2019 2:08pm Possibly Bob but I think they have shown they are.

Newnes & Sinclair

OR

Acres & White

I would look to trade all 4. We just can’t keep players on the off chance they may deliver.

All 4 would have some currency at other clubs Melbourne is going to want to mix it up. GCS would love a Newnes type for experience and leadership. Not saying it will happen but we must be aggressive in our trading.
Unfortunately I'm not confident enough in our horse trading to believe we'd get overs or even break even in any trades. Our hands are tied to a degree.

I suspect two of those four may find new homes, two kept as "the devil we know" type players, insurance.

One or two second rounders, third rounders, maybe a fourth, would mean 4 newbies to replace 3 players in the perfect demographic for a club wanting to push for finals.

I see what you're thinking but believe we'll adopt a more conservative strategy.

I really don't mind our core of youth. I see a lot of value, I also see value for Sinclair & Newnes moving on for club & player.

saintadamski
Club Player

HighettMan wrote: Sun 21 Jul 2019 8:17am

I don't.
He is the turnover king.

Depends who's been watching him and if you are a rational and logical thinker and not just a fan that doesn't have a deep understanding of how team sport works and prefers to just relentlessly run someone down from the security of an anonymous social media account because it makes you feel better. Not saying that is you though. You seem like you have inside knowledge that can't be questioned.
Or depends if the individual watching is a delusional fan boy who can't tell the difference between a good player, and a poor player that can't even get a tackle in multiple rounds of football, while every time they get the ball, slam it onto their boot in a mess of panic, turning it over again and again....while offering no defensive pressure to speak of.

This fan boy bleats proudly inside his own echo chamber about the quality of the bottom 4 playing list..."That Newnes, he's a ripper!" the fan boy cheers....."oh wait, are we bottom 4.....again....who cares...he's a ripper!"

Not sure why 'inside knowledge' is necessary when watching incompetence unfold in front of you week in, week out - perhaps, once I secure employment in the inner sanctum at the club (is that at the gift shop, membership hotline, or coaching box?), I will suddenly wake up drenched in cold sweat, yelling "Delusional fan boy was right!!!!!" ...now that I'm employed by the club of course.

And of course, if you disagree with said fan boy, not only do you NOT have the deep, profound understanding of the universe itself (as he does), but your opinion is invalidated by the fact that it was written on a keyboard, rather than raised personally with said player, in a boxing ring of your choice...or does it have to be the boxing ring at the club?....that's more 'inside knowledge' right? I mean, it's in the club building after all.

Not saying this fan boy is you though...I mean you seem to have a masterful strategy on maintaining the status quo .... finals here we come!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Newnes was very good 2014-2016

Last year and for the most part this year, he has been poor

HighettMan
Club Player

saintadamski wrote: Sun 21 Jul 2019 2:01pm

I don't.
He is the turnover king.

Or depends if the individual watching is a delusional fan boy who can't tell the difference between a good player, and a poor player that can't even get a tackle in multiple rounds of football, while every time they get the ball, slam it onto their boot in a mess of panic, turning it over again and again....while offering no defensive pressure to speak of.

This fan boy bleats proudly inside his own echo chamber about the quality of the bottom 4 playing list..."That Newnes, he's a ripper!" the fan boy cheers....."oh wait, are we bottom 4.....again....who cares...he's a ripper!"

Not sure why 'inside knowledge' is necessary when watching incompetence unfold in front of you week in, week out - perhaps, once I secure employment in the inner sanctum at the club (is that at the gift shop, membership hotline, or coaching box?), I will suddenly wake up drenched in cold sweat, yelling "Delusional fan boy was right!!!!!" ...now that I'm employed by the club of course.

And of course, if you disagree with said fan boy, not only do you NOT have the deep, profound understanding of the universe itself (as he does), but your opinion is invalidated by the fact that it was written on a keyboard, rather than raised personally with said player, in a boxing ring of your choice...or does it have to be the boxing ring at the club?....that's more 'inside knowledge' right? I mean, it's in the club building after all.

Not saying this fan boy is you though...I mean you seem to have a masterful strategy on maintaining the status quo .... finals here we come!
You seem a little snitchy. Mabye stick a few more pins in your Newnes doll if it makes you feel better.

saintadamski
Club Player

HighettMan wrote: Sun 21 Jul 2019 3:08pm
saintadamski wrote: Sun 21 Jul 2019 2:01pm

I don't.
He is the turnover king.

You seem a little snitchy. Mabye stick a few more pins in your Newnes doll if it makes you feel better.
And maybe put some more lubricant on yours...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well Acres was mainly played as a mid and was excellent. He was pumping the ball to forwards rather than playing as a forward. His long searching forward handballs were a treat.

Our forward line structured up different and we always kept a player forward. Worked well.

On the whole the team was more attacking and pressed forward more quickly. On winning the ball the team ran forward more to provide options. The team switch less and kick backwards less.

Gresh played one of his best games as a mid. Nice to see that he did a Lonie and knocked off trying to do as much "incredible" play as he has been tempted to try this season.

Langlands showed great promise.

Newnes used as a stopper on JJ rather than his more recent roles.

Carlisle mainly back in the space of CHB. Brown as the FB.

All in all despite only one personnel change the team structured up and played quite differently.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 22 Jul 2019 1:44am Well Acres was mainly played as a mid and was excellent. He was pumping the ball to forwards rather than playing as a forward. His long searching forward handballs were a treat.

Our forward line structured up different and we always kept a player forward. Worked well.

On the whole the team was more attacking and pressed forward more quickly. On winning the ball the team ran forward more to provide options. The team switch less and kick backwards less.

Gresh played one of his best games as a mid. Nice to see that he did a Lonie and knocked off trying to do as much "incredible" play as he has been tempted to try this season.

Langlands showed great promise.

Newnes used as a stopper on JJ rather than his more recent roles.

Carlisle mainly back in the space of CHB. Brown as the FB.

All in all despite only one personnel change the team structured up and played quite differently.
Excellent comments