Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lyon

saynta wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 4:27pm I have a picture of that 2007 up on my hall wall.
Why?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 7:01pm
saynta wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 4:27pm I have a picture of that 2007 up on my hall wall.
Why?
Put it there in 2007 and have never removed it. Last one I got. Also have the previous 10 years of teams which used to line my office wall. Changed offices late 2006 and took them all with me. They are in a cupboard now,

Yeah, tragic, I know.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 7:22pm
Why?
Put it there in 2007 and have never removed it. Last one I got. Also have the previous 10 years of teams which used to line my office wall. Changed offices late 2006 and took them all with me. They are in a cupboard now,

Yeah, tragic, I know.
Hardcore loyal

👍

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 7:24pm
saynta wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 7:22pm
Why?

Yeah, tragic, I know.
Hardcore loyal

👍
Yep, don't know how the missus puts up with me. Have more than a few framed saints memorabilia hanging on walls around the house, including two with saints jumpers and a signed copy of that famous Nicky photo. Have three cars too. One red, one white and one black. Coincidence. Not sure. :oops: :oops:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 4:14pm
Teflon wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 11:17am
Scollop wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 9:26am
Teflon wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 11:04pm
spert wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 10:58am Our most successful coach was obviously Jeans, and after that it doesn't matter..they're all also-rans.
Must remind GT of that while he’s watching his “10 game streak” video
Anyhow, stats tell us who in our modern era is our best coach
Haters don’t like to hear it but thems the facts
Lyon inherited a great team and was at our club for a very short time. He failed to get the chocolates with champion team that he inherited.

It's way too simple to define success of a coach based solely on h&a win/loss or even based on winning finals ratios (Tosser is heading down in both areas btw)

The only way that your boy Lyon was able to coach a team of winners was in large part due to the legacy left for him by GT. Bag GT all you want, but most neutral observers are aware of the blueprint and the foundations that were set before Rossco arrived

I loved the fact that we were building a great team and I loved the fact that GT helped mould young men into leaders. I hated the fact that Ross Lyon didn't give opportunity to our youth because I knew there's be a price to pay

Lyon might have fooled a few people and gained some disciples, but I hated the legacy that he left behind
Most neutral observers who watch the game and take off the “GT gave me meaning again” glasses realise we had been found out - which is why the guy couldn’t capitalise on a star studded list that had some very mature, top line players with a gun crop of youngsters coming through , thanks to the pathetic Watson years and failed Blight experiment.

You deal in your opinion as fact - it’s nonsense. FACTS are 1 coach at least got us to an opportunity to win a flag, multiple times....your boy failed to even get us there cause his 1 trick pony game plan/coaching style wasn’t up to it.
Tough to swallow as Lyons record is for many here FACTS are it shytes all over “GT”...
At least Lyon had all of his star studded line up to choose from when it was finals time. Lyon had a dream run with injuries and GT wasn't as lucky. Stan Alves wasn't as lucky.

The fact that Ross has failed at the big dance on several occasions is just a tiny little fact that can't be ignored. Your opinions don't stack up when it comes to silverware + state of the lists when each coach's time was up.

I was comparing the legacy that GT left and the foundations that were built under his watch as coach. Talk about a dream coaching job for anyone that stepped in as head coach in 2007.

Take a few seconds break from sticking your tongue up your heroes arsehole and check some other facts. Rodney Eade's teams were smashed in h&a by Lyon but Rocket got super close against Ross Lyon in finals...we arsed our way into some of our finals wins against Geelong and Footscray and over his whole career, Tosser has an ordinary record in finals.
I think your whole heads up GTs arse !
Your reaching with more ludicrous , far fetched opinion to justify a point not backed by any facts. Answer these questions oh exalted one:
1. IF GT is so good.....why has NO ONE in the AFL picked him up as a coach??
2. Why does our recent all time great players all rave they’d take Lyon back in a heartbeat and not GT??
3. Why, when Thomas ran Training Services (still laugh at that) we have many soft tissue injuries???? (Lyon corrected that thank f@
4. Why didxan ex assistant coach under Thomas (sacked by Lyon) tell me directly “Grant Thomas f@rked your club” word for word..

I’ll give you a clue .....your idol is a dud who, like a kid handed the keys to a Ferrari, couldn’t drive it properly and in doing so destroyed our greatest chance of a flag.

Those aren’t my opinions above they are facts - deal in facts and spare us all your pathetic attempts at a baseless opinion drsssed up as one

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 12:55pm
spert wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 10:58am Our most successful coach was obviously Jeans, and after that it doesn't matter..they're all also-rans.
Lyon inherited a great team and was at our club for a very short time. He failed to get the chocolates with champion team that he inherited.

It's way too simple to define success of a coach based solely on h&a win/loss or even based on winning finals ratios (Tosser is heading down in both areas btw)

The only way that your boy Lyon was able to coach a team of winners was in large part due to the legacy left for him by GT. Bag GT all you want, but most neutral observers are aware of the blueprint and the foundations that were set before Rossco arrived

I loved the fact that we were building a great team and I loved the fact that GT helped mould young men into leaders. I hated the fact that Ross Lyon didn't give opportunity to our youth because I knew there's be a price to pay

Lyon might have fooled a few people and gained some disciples, but I hated the legacy that he left behind
Most neutral observers who watch the game and take off the “GT gave me meaning again” glasses realise we had been found out - which is why the guy couldn’t capitalise on a star studded list that had some very mature, top line players with a gun crop of youngsters coming through , thanks to the pathetic Watson years and failed Blight experiment.

You deal in your opinion as fact - it’s nonsense. FACTS are 1 coach at least got us to an opportunity to win a flag, multiple times....your boy failed to even get us there cause his 1 trick pony game plan/coaching style wasn’t up to it.
Tough to swallow as Lyons record is for many here FACTS are it shytes all over “GT”...
For the record I wouldn’t want Ross back and I think the coaching game may have passed Ross by or at least he needs reinventing.

But you are spot on with above.

Freo approached Ross and if he left there tomorrow IMO he’d get another gig at Carlton or North or probably us.

How many clubs went looking for GT to coach them?
Did GT coach again? Had the keys to a Ferrari and couldn’t drive it.

But when it comes to coaches let’s refer to Roo, he’d have Ross back at the Saints and I am told by a former player that he has not spoken to GT since the “Saints drugs comments” by GT.

I spoke at length with Roos dad Joe at the president function for Roos 300th and he raves about Lyon as a coach and person.

Personally I will back the Reiwoldt family opinion of Ross over some negative forumites.
Agree Joff
I’m not arguing he comes back I think his style is done....but at least he developed a style.....Thomas had nothing other than shoot out...
I just laugh at the flogs trying to suggest he wasn’t a good coach when THE PLAYERS tell you otherwise and they’d know not some of the half baked bird brains on here

“Yeah….nah””
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 7:35pm
Yep, don't know how the missus puts up with me. Have more than a few framed saints memorabilia hanging on walls around the house, including two with saints jumpers and a signed copy of that famous Nicky photo. Have three cars too. One red, one white and one black. Coincidence. Not sure. :oops: :oops:
LOL - Love the three cars!

We freaked someone out a couple of years ago by playing Kick to Kick with a footy - autographed by Rob Harvey - got accused of sacrilege - lol - gave the footy to the person - we had a few at the time - my son is the tragic - but we have a signed Winmar All Stars game worn jersey - unfortunately - signed by the rest of the team NOT Nicky, as well as a 2000 team signed T-Shirt worn by Trevor Barker (with a letter from Melinda for authenticity)

Also have a piece of Moorabbin seating signed by the whole team!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 4:14pm

At least Lyon had all of his star studded line up to choose from when it was finals time. Lyon had a dream run with injuries and GT wasn't as lucky. Stan Alves wasn't as lucky.

The fact that Ross has failed at the big dance on several occasions is just a tiny little fact that can't be ignored. Your opinions don't stack up when it comes to silverware + state of the lists when each coach's time was up.

I was comparing the legacy that GT left and the foundations that were built under his watch as coach. Talk about a dream coaching job for anyone that stepped in as head coach in 2007.

Take a few seconds break from sticking your tongue up your heroes arsehole and check some other facts. Rodney Eade's teams were smashed in h&a by Lyon but Rocket got super close against Ross Lyon in finals...we arsed our way into some of our finals wins against Geelong and Footscray and over his whole career, Tosser has an ordinary record in finals.
GT legacy, foundations blah blah blah
GT couldn’t get it done - could not even get us into a flag winning chance when he RAN the entire club as Mike Sheehan reported....
You have to at least get there to win the bloody thing
More illogical baseless opinions .....

“Yeah….nah””
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Although I wouldn't know for sure, I suspect that he's been looked at. We'd be fools if we didn't.

I also think Riewoldt (and Montagna) would be using what influence they have to promote the idea within the Club. Riewoldt has Bassat's ear.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2019 10:53am
Legendary wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2019 10:51am I agree - not the right guy for us now. Our list is not in the right place.

But those who think Lyon is Satan because of the way he left should have some empathy. Most people who lost all their money and had 5 years of job security vs. 1 year with a young family to support would take the 5 years in a heartbeat. If Nettlefold had put a halfway decent offer to Lyon, he would have stayed at the Saints. It was incredibly difficult for him - he cried when he told Nick.
He cost us two flags and a former captain. He's a flog.
Or you could say that he got a List that had shortcomings, to two successive GFs; an incredibly dominant 20 win H/A season including 19 straight wins; and taking a psychologically spent team to 6th after winning 1 of their first 7 in 2011.

GT had a far superior List at his disposal than Lyon. Lyon has his faults, but he is a formidable Coach.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

GT had two seasoned champions with finals experience in their prime. Gehrig and Harvey... now don’t get me wrong, those two aren’t to be sniffed at but...
Lyon had Riewoldt, Hayes, Dal Santo, Goddard, Monty, Fisher, Milne
Last edited by skeptic on Sat 27 Jul 2019 12:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ask anyone one of the best 15 players from 07-11 and they will tell you that he was their best coach, and they absolutely believed in everything he said.

Ask anyone outside that group, and they will say they didn’t enjoy his coaching, some even despised him.

Heard stories of him not talking to some players for months, and using young players at training as witches hats for the senior players during drills.

Great team coach, average club coach.

The Luke Ball scenario was a complete f*** up
Last edited by B.M on Sat 27 Jul 2019 12:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldie60
Club Player

Jack Steven would've been one of those witches hats. Should have played a few more games during that period.

spert
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 27 Jul 2019 12:01pm GT had two seasoned champions with finals experience in their prime. Gehrig and Harvey... now don’t get me wrong, those two aren’t to be sniffed at but...
Lyon had Riewoldt, Hayes, Dal Santo, Goddard, Monty, Fisher, Milne
Sadly some of those top players under Lyon didn't turn it on when it counted in the end. Lyon failed to get the team switched on for the GF replay..apparently a couple of Collingwood players were surprised at the lack of intensity when they expected a red hot go by the Saints.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 27 Jul 2019 12:12pm Ask anyone one of the best 15 players from 07-11 and they will tell you that he was their best coach, and they absolutely believed in everything he said.

Ask anyone outside that group, and they will say they didn’t enjoy his coaching, some even despised him.

Heard stories of him not talking to some players for months, and using young players at training as witches hats for the senior players during drills.

Yep

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

barks4eva wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2019 2:19pm I'm not saying I want Ross Lyon back BUT... to those that keep posting this fictitious nonsense surrounding his departure...

He was not supported by the Westaway administration and in fact they inserted a three month get out clause in his contract after he'd just coached the team to back to back Grand Finals.

They refused to back him in beyond the following season and were not on the same page.
At the last minute Nettlefold threw up a three year offer to cover their backs for all the duplicitous nonsense they had been throwing Ross Lyon's way.

Ross Lyon did not want Pelchen appointed and this was done by the Westaway administration to subvert and diminish Ross Lyon's authority.

Pelchen was another disaster.

Ross Lyon and the playing group also did not want the Seaford move and were 100% against it.

How did the Seaford move go?

When Fremantle came knocking with a long term contract and total support when all he was getting from Nettlefold was subterfuge he enacted the get out clause the Westaway administration had inserted.

The Westaway Footy First administration who took the club to Seaford, appointed Pelchen and Bains to oversee the playing list and appointed Watters and Richardson as senior coaches were an absolutely catastrophic disaster that has sent the club into a decade of oblivion.

Absolute goofballs and anyone who voted for Footy First should acknowledge their stupidity in voting these clowns in.

Ross Lyon was within a whisker of being a dual premiership coach.
I could give a thousand examples but for starters...
Paul Chapman, the 2009 Norm Smith Medallist and match winner only played the game after receiving an injection... twelve months later the substance he was injected with was classified as a performance enhancing drug and was banned.
If the incompetent Demetriou administration had their shyte together and had this drug banned before the 2009 Grand Final, St.kilda would have won the 2009 Grand Final and Ross Lyon would be a St.kilda legend and premiership coach.

How would you speak of him then?

Perspective please!
Here, here, bang on point.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 27 Jul 2019 1:01pm
barks4eva wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2019 2:19pm I'm not saying I want Ross Lyon back BUT... to those that keep posting this fictitious nonsense surrounding his departure...

He was not supported by the Westaway administration and in fact they inserted a three month get out clause in his contract after he'd just coached the team to back to back Grand Finals.

They refused to back him in beyond the following season and were not on the same page.
At the last minute Nettlefold threw up a three year offer to cover their backs for all the duplicitous nonsense they had been throwing Ross Lyon's way.

Ross Lyon did not want Pelchen appointed and this was done by the Westaway administration to subvert and diminish Ross Lyon's authority.

Ross Lyon and the playing group also did not want the Seaford move and were 100% against it.

When Fremantle came knocking with a long term contract and total support when all he was getting from Nettlefold was subterfuge he enacted the get out clause the Westaway administration had inserted.

The Westaway Footy First administration who took the club to Seaford, appointed Pelchen and Bains to oversee the playing list and appointed Watters and Richardson as senior coaches were an absolutely catastrophic disaster that has sent the club into a decade of oblivion.

Absolute goofballs and anyone who voted for Footy First should acknowledge their stupidity in voting these clowns in.

Paul Chapman, the 2009 Norm Smith Medallist and match winner only played the game after receiving an injection... twelve months later the substance he was injected with was classified as a performance enhancing drug and was banned.
If the incompetent Demetriou administration had their shyte together and had this drug banned before the 2009 Grand Final, St.kilda would have won the 2009 Grand Final and Ross Lyon would be a St.kilda legend and premiership coach.

Perspective please!

To clarify the 12 months was actually 3 months in regards to the injecting practice utilised by Geelong with Paul Chapman that enabled him to play the 2009 Grand Final.
Paul Chapman was the match winner and Norm Smith Medallist and the injecting practice that enabled him to play was banned and deemed to be illegal and performance enhancing and legislated as such three months after the 2009 Grand Final.
And WADA were the ones directly responsible and not so much the Demtriou administration as I posted above.

How would people speak of Ross Lyon if WADA had their shyte together and had this illegal injecting practice banned before the 2009 Grand Final ?
I'm in no doubt Ross Lyon would've been the 2009 premiership coach.

Even leaving aside the downright cheating of Geelong supporter and umpire Sean Ryan in that last quarter.
Even leaving aside the goal umpiring error which effectively cost two goals as Geelong scored another goal within 20 seconds of that goal umpiring error.

The Westaway administration were at fault in not fully supporting a back to back Grand Finalist coach and I 100% completely understand why Ross Lyon would walk away when another club were offering him a long term deal and FULL SUPPORT without a THREE MONTH GET OUT CLAUSE in the contract.

Pelchen was a disaster and his appointment was a deliberate ploy by the Westaway administration to undermine Ross Lyon's authority.
Then the Footy First Westaway administration took the club to Seaford on the back of an Archie Fraser whiteboard presentation.
Ross Lyon and the playing group were pissed off with this move.
The Westaway Footy First administration were a disaster and sent the club into oblivion for the past ten years.
When faced with these double dealing clowns who were prevaricating and not fully supportive of the senior coach he walked and enacted the very clause these idiots had inserted themselves.
A three month get out clause does not provide anyone with any security whatsoever!

Anyone being critical of Ross Lyon for doing what anyone would do if they were in his shoes is 100% delusional and totally ignorant on this matter.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 27 Jul 2019 12:12pm Ask anyone one of the best 15 players from 07-11 and they will tell you that he was their best coach, and they absolutely believed in everything he said.

So 25 blokes on the list from 07-11 didn’t enjoy Lyons coaching and some of them even despised him.

BM, I like your footy knowledge and posting and enjoy reading your opinion, however just because you write something, it doesn’t make it true without facts.

I’d suggest the above is your opinion or a small sample size posted using large % numbers. If that is true surely there would have been multiple players walking out every year.

Why did Armo & Steven and others stay and not seek opportunity elsewhere like Tom Lynch? Perhaps we’ll hear from a certain cranky poster that Cripps left because The Flosser wouldn’t play him, despite Cripps playing 12 games in his 2nd season at the club.

Agree on the Ball stuff up, but it takes two to tango.
Funny on here how Ball left but was shafted, Lyon left and
was the Antichrist when both left for money, opportunity and stability. I respect both for looking after their own personal best interests.

When I first coached at local level an old former coach of the club told me if only 20% of the players hated me, I’d be doing alright. He was correct.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
spert
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote: Sat 27 Jul 2019 1:49pm

Perspective please!

To clarify the 12 months was actually 3 months in regards to the injecting practice utilised by Geelong with Paul Chapman that enabled him to play the 2009 Grand Final.
Paul Chapman was the match winner and Norm Smith Medallist and the injecting practice that enabled him to play was banned and deemed to be illegal and performance enhancing and legislated as such three months after the 2009 Grand Final.
And WADA were the ones directly responsible and not so much the Demtriou administration as I posted above.

How would people speak of Ross Lyon if WADA had their shyte together and had this illegal injecting practice banned before the 2009 Grand Final ?

Even leaving aside the downright cheating of Geelong supporter and umpire Sean Ryan in that last quarter.
Even leaving aside the goal umpiring error which effectively cost two goals as Geelong scored another goal within 20 seconds of that goal umpiring error.

The Westaway administration were at fault in not fully supporting a back to back Grand Finalist coach and I 100% completely understand why Ross Lyon would walk away when another club were offering him a long term deal and FULL SUPPORT without a THREE MONTH GET OUT CLAUSE in the contract.

Pelchen was a disaster and his appointment was a deliberate ploy by the Westaway administration to undermine Ross Lyon's authority.
Then the Footy First Westaway administration took the club to Seaford on the back of an Archie Fraser whiteboard presentation.
The Westaway Footy First administration were a disaster and sent the club into oblivion for the past ten years.
When faced with these double dealing clowns who were prevaricating and not fully supportive of the senior coach he walked and enacted the very clause these idiots had inserted themselves.
A three month get out clause does not provide anyone with any security whatsoever!

Anyone being critical of Ross Lyon for doing what anyone would do if they were in his shoes is 100% delusional and totally ignorant on this matter.
Poor Ross, so hard done by.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Perspective please!
That's hear, hear mate.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

As a young player, trying to make it, you don’t walk out of a contract, without knowing you’d even get picked up by another team.

I know for a fact guys like Smith, Cahill and Archer were not even spoke to for periods of time, amongst others

Only Stephen Gaertner did that, and of course Lynch and Cripps FRDPs left. Have it on good authority that if Lyon stayed Armo was going to leave, although I think Ross was going to trade him anyway.
Steven was only 21 and was happy at StK at that time.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Anyone ever get the impression that GT and RL would have made a super team together

Imagine a 2004 when GT stepped down into a coaching director manager role and RL came in as coach.

Reckon we would have won 5 premierships

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Perspective please!

Paul Chapman was indeed the difference between the sides, in poor weather, he played as if it was dry.

People also underestimate how extraordinary Lyon was in 2010. Lost Riewoldt for the bulk of the season, Collingwood by the Finals were a 10-12 goal better team than anyone. Yet he came within a whisker of pinching it, in what would've been a huge upset.

The reason I have been resistant to posters calling for total regime change, is because of the cluster f**k the Footy First ticket were. 8,000 members tossed out the incumbents for these cretins, based on what? They went on to turn everything they touched into crap. Moving to Seaford etc and losing Lyon, because they may as well have pushed him out the door.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Sat 27 Jul 2019 4:03pm

Perspective please!
That's hear, hear mate.
Apparently there is no firm agreement on whether its 'here' or 'hear'. Some say both are fine.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 27 Jul 2019 4:26pm

Perspective please!

Paul Chapman was indeed the difference between the sides, in poor weather, he played as if it was dry.

People also underestimate how extraordinary Lyon was in 2010. Lost Riewoldt for the bulk of the season, Collingwood by the Finals were a 10-12 goal better team than anyone. Yet he came within a whisker of pinching it, in what would've been a huge upset.

The reason I have been resistant to posters calling for total regime change, is because of the cluster f**k the Footy First ticket were. 8,000 members tossed out the incumbents for these cretins, based on what? They went on to turn everything they touched into crap. Moving to Seaford etc and losing Lyon, because they may as well have pushed him out the door.
Sad as it is... hard to disagree with any of this.

The narrative at the time was that Butters was embarrassing himself and the club and that our lack of investment in the football department absolutely crippled our flag hopes.

I’ll put my hand up as one of those idiots that bought it... no idea that they would be the colossal stuff up that they were