game was lost during the week at selection and game planning

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

game was lost during the week at selection and game planning

It seems that no real thought was put into

1/ What to do about Lynch, maybe Marsh

Fairly obvious that his aerobic strength would be too much for Battle

2/ Having 2,22 and 26 in the same vicinity on the ground was never going to work, especially when Jenkins went out. As someone said in the game thread Walker is actually quite mobile, so Carlisle (especially a seemingly uninterested one) .. really

3/ It would have seemed that Newnes would have gone to Laird, but what was plan b, he is way too good a player not to have a plan b

Tactically

Talia's only real strength is his spoiling and marking, he has no real closing speed. We continually make him out to be a good player.

Why are Long and Parker allowed to contest for marks against Membrey and Bruce. Have they taken one of those pack marks all year (apart from Parkers early season speccie). Our forward line has no spread, it's like they just say to each other "hey let's all meet at the top of the square"

What are the roles given to the young players? With such an inexperienced team versus a very experienced team, could not a couple of young ones just be given simple lock down roles, too much see ball from the inexperienced, need to learn when to go

fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: game was lost during the week at selection and game planning

Agree with all of your points, except the title.

The game was more than winnable with the lineup we had, I think Battle would have matched up well on Jenkins so maybe it was a missed opportunity to move him forward.

Long and Parker should be front and square, or working to position at ground level.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 11:54am It seems that no real thought was put into

1/ What to do about Lynch, maybe Marsh

Fairly obvious that his aerobic strength would be too much for Battle

2/ Having 2,22 and 26 in the same vicinity on the ground was never going to work, especially when Jenkins went out. As someone said in the game thread Walker is actually quite mobile, so Carlisle (especially a seemingly uninterested one) .. really

3/ It would have seemed that Newnes would have gone to Laird, but what was plan b, he is way too good a player not to have a plan b

Tactically

Talia's only real strength is his spoiling and marking, he has no real closing speed. We continually make him out to be a good player.

Why are Long and Parker allowed to contest for marks against Membrey and Bruce. Have they taken one of those pack marks all year (apart from Parkers early season speccie). Our forward line has no spread, it's like they just say to each other "hey let's all meet at the top of the square"

What are the roles given to the young players? With such an inexperienced team versus a very experienced team, could not a couple of young ones just be given simple lock down roles, too much see ball from the inexperienced, need to learn when to go

fqf
There was one occasion when Bruce was clearly going to mark the ball but was spoilt by Parker, so you have a point.

That mark that was taken off Long and a free kick given against Bruce was a disgraceful decision. Bruce and the crow scum both had handfuls of each other's jumpers. Even Healy was incensed.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

They are not easy beats over there. You’re contending not only with a talented side, but their moronic supporters and the usual home-town decisions.

I’m not concerned. I’m confident we have the right man in Ratts. I like the way he has them taking the game on. We’ll get there.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

You realise we have no coach for 2019 right?

You realise the final 4 weeks is (and must) be used to give young guys opportunities and other guys a chance to prove they should remain on the list?

Realistically, winning should probably be the furtherest thing from our minds. Preparing for the trade period, the draft and next season is what the is (and must) be focussing on.

I hope guys are played in different roles. I hope young guys go up against guns and learn the hard way.

I hope we try new things to see who handles it.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

this is the problem. with ratts auditioning perhaps wins are foremost on his mind. we've got two very winnable games ahead and then the possibility (very thin given ports win) of a finals spot with an upset of the swans.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Wilke could have taken Lynch I would have thought.

Brown should have gone to Tex.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 2:17pm Wilke could have taken Lynch I would have thought.

Brown should have gone to Tex.
Yes & Yes. Battle was superfluous to our needs with no Jenkins. The forward line has looked its best for two seasons the previous two weeks.

Commentators remarked pre game, then during the game that Battle runs on tram tracks. He also looked to have players chip him an 8 metre kick. With his size, he should be drawing a pack players can feed off. Sadly ineffectual last night, compounded by Carlisle's putrid game.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 2:07pm this is the problem. with ratts auditioning perhaps wins are foremost on his mind. we've got two very winnable games ahead and then the possibility (very thin given ports win) of a finals spot with an upset of the swans.
They're clearly not.

older saint
SS Life Member

What hurt was illness and injury also. Through balance of team out a little.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Ratten tried some different things to get the ascendancy, but unfortunately they didnt come off. Battle should have been given the lock down role on Lynch from the outset. We also needed a negating player on Laird as he cut us up again.

McKenzie just doesnt have the composure to play AFL footy, he cost us 4 goals. Then take into account the lack of discipline goals and we are right in it. Our list is thin bare as it is and losing Newnes & Paton mid week didnt help.

Otherwise Ratten did a mighty job with the soldiers he had.

Josh Battle
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 1:35pm You realise we have no coach for 2019 right?

You realise the final 4 weeks is (and must) be used to give young guys opportunities and other guys a chance to prove they should remain on the list?

Realistically, winning should probably be the furtherest thing from our minds. Preparing for the trade period, the draft and next season is what the is (and must) be focussing on.

I hope guys are played in different roles. I hope young guys go up against guns and learn the hard way.

Good post. The gastro bug forced some late changes, but every loss is an opportunity to learn

You learn about player's ability to handle pressure and you learn who is disciplined and can perform their role

freely
SS Hall of Fame

And you learn about a coach's ability under pressure to throw players around to no perceivable purpose or effect.

Josh Battle
Club Player

Better than what we got from the previous bloke who took 12 months before making a change

12 months of Mav Weller getting games ahead of young draftees

12 months of Billy Longer getting games ahead of Hickey and Marshall

5 years before he and the club decide he needs to improve his leadership and communication skills

Ratten will probably win 2 out if the next 3 matches. That'll be 4 out of 6 since he was appointed. That's double the previous coaches win/loss record...but that's ok...you go on supporting him if it makes you feel good
Last edited by Josh Battle on Sun 04 Aug 2019 4:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Josh Battle wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 4:12pm Better than what we got from the previous bloke who took 12 months before making a change

5 years before he and the club decide he needs to improve his leadership and communication skills
We need to be thinking about the next bloke now. Not making excuses for the caretaker.

Josh Battle
Club Player

freely wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 4:15pm
Josh Battle wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 4:12pm Better than what we got from the previous bloke who took 12 months before making a change

We need to be thinking about the next bloke now. Not making excuses for the caretaker.
The caretaker will make it near impossible for Lethlean and Finnis to appoint anyone else

He'll be accountable and he'll control his own destiny rather than blame others like the previous bloke

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Josh Battle wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 4:18pm

The caretaker will make it near impossible for Lethlean and Finnis to appoint anyone else

He'll be accountable and he'll control his own destiny rather than blame others like the previous bloke
OK, let me rephrase. I think Ratten has demonstrated that we can do better.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

freely wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 3:58pm And you learn about a coach's ability under pressure to throw players around to no perceivable purpose or effect.
The coach's role right now is to see who will be on the list next year.

That's the purpose.

The effect has nothing to do with the interim coach. But it has everything to do with the players.

It will provide a lot of clarity to List Management, and to whoever coaches next year.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

freely wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 4:19pm

Ok, it's official - that is most stupid thing I've ever read on Sainstational.

Well done. Gold star.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 4:19pm

Such as? Who is better that is available, and please don’t say Ross Lyon

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 1:35pm You realise we have no coach for 2019 right?

Except against Carlton. Gotta go all out to beat Carlton.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Thought he coached well. Counter tactics were good, players didn't execute. Battle a little rusty/under done and there were two late changes that have to upset the best laid plans made during the week. Umps were either incompetent or bastards and in at least one decision both. Ratts can't help that. Crows were playing for a) finals and b) careers and we were better in field play. I find it hard to criticise the overall effort, coach and/or players. Coupla bad bounces thrown in. Crows would be relieved and the crowd was packing it for a long time. We hung tough.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

So we blame the coach when we lose under AR

We excuse the coach under Ratten?

I don’t blame BR for the loss, and didn’t blame AR for most losses earlier, except two putrid efforts.

We have lost to teams better than us, beaten teams not as good... only Essendon would be an upset win, and we have not lost any we should have won.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 6:24pm So we blame the coach when we lose under AR

We excuse the coach under Ratten?

I don’t blame BR for the loss, and didn’t blame AR for most losses earlier, except two putrid efforts.

We have lost to teams better than us, beaten teams not as good... only Essendon would be an upset win, and we have not lost any we should have won.
Of course we do!

Ratten has had 23 days to basically grab the reigns and hold on tight.

He's an interim coach.

He's not contracted as head coach. He's had no say in list management. He would not have full say over selection.

He has had no say over who is in the box with him.

He'd be trying to keep players focussed, so the good ones don't walk out. I mean seriously, what club would put an interim coach in charge and allow them to wield the axe??!

He has a group that has been coached by 1 guy for 6 years - in many cases their entire careers.

They have established roles. Established habits. Established mental limitations.

Of course Ratten's role is different!! I mean seriously, WTF???

Of course his coaching is judged differently!! What a f****** stupid thing to say.

I actually can't believe you even posed the question. It's staggering idiocy.