Retoric says

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Retoric says

Steven is gone. Listen to what the players say if he needs to move to be happy then that's most important, love him to stay but....

So he is off to Geelong. It is important i believe we get a late 1st rounder early second for him - not someone who couldn't cut it there is 20-22 and played around 10 or so games. We lack an ability, like most clubs to make these players better, I have also heard Abbott mentioned. This its team who has struggled to nail down a first ruck and he is still behind Stanley, Smith, Blicavs/Ratagalia . Get a pick which can then be used to get Hill

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Re: Retoric says

So, I what you say is true, would you bother playing him tomorrow?

And what value is Tony Abbott to St Kilda? He's finished as well.

Saint supporter since '62
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 10 Aug 2019 7:18pm So, I what you say is true, would you bother playing him tomorrow?

It’s a very slippery slope.

A BOG performance or 2 in the last few rounds makes him the possible missing ingredient to another Cats flag and ramps up his value. A subpar performance suggests he could be past his best though he clearly isn’t

Shouldn’t let him go for anything less than a first IMO

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 10 Aug 2019 7:18pm So, I what you say is true, would you bother playing him tomorrow?

I'd say he won't play tomorrow - have they shortened the bench yet?

Anyway, say Kelly goes back West, like they all said he might last year, Steven would be a shoe in at Geelong, but now he is still probably behind Duncan and def behind Danger, Selwood, Ablett.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 10 Aug 2019 11:19pm

I'd say he won't play tomorrow - have they shortened the bench yet?

Anyway, say Kelly goes back West, like they all said he might last year, Steven would be a shoe in at Geelong, but now he is still probably behind Duncan and def behind Danger, Selwood, Ablett.
They shorten the bench around 5pm on Fridays - and Steven is in.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

...rhetoric has a way with words.

To the top
SS Life Member

So what is the take on Geary’s comments?

The Club Captain and said a close friend of Steven

Personally I am not impressed (the caveat being I have no knowledge past being told this evening at a function - but my source is beyond question and scathing of the comment)

St Kilda is about adding class players to its List to improve on recent seasons - and progress is being made (in my view anyway)

So if you have a player such as Steven noting also he is exactly the type of player we crave - an explosive, attacking and quick mid fielder why the hell would we be seemingly making it easy for him to leave?

Geary’s words as reported to me give Steven the invitation

The invitation should be that his skill set and history at St Kilda makes him a required player

Hence the Clubs support of him thru 2019

Because we want him to continue his stellar career at St Kilda - and enjoy the last stages of his career at St Kilda

Not throw the towel in

Where is another Jack Steven for us - and don’t give me a player plying his trade in the Geelong Seconds, because that does not cut the mustard for Steven

You do not improve getting rid of your best players and surely we have learned that - and particularly when they have the skill set we lack - apart from Steven

That is his importance

If he had have been available thru 2019 it is quite reasonable to speculate that we would now be on the cusp of playing finals - in 2019

We need to acknowledge that, as with any player, they need to embrace the Club and the Club to embrace them

The responsibility rests with the Club - and the Club is the catalyst not the player

We require Jack Steven to remain with St Kilda as a one team player whose name adorns the walls of the Club house

The ability, many years later, to walk into a Club House and see your name and photo on the walk has no parallel in sport

You are forever feted (including that your reputation actually grows!)

That is what we sell to Jack Steven - and our young group

End of rant

To the top
SS Life Member

So what is the take on Geary’s comments?

The Club Captain and said a close friend of Steven

Personally I am not impressed (the caveat being I have no knowledge past being told this evening at a function - but my source is beyond question and scathing of the comment)

St Kilda is about adding class players to its List to improve on recent seasons - and progress is being made (in my view anyway)

So if you have a player such as Steven noting also he is exactly the type of player we crave - an explosive, attacking and quick mid fielder why the hell would we be seemingly making it easy for him to leave?

Geary’s words as reported to me give Steven the invitation

The invitation should be that his skill set and history at St Kilda makes him a required player

Hence the Clubs support of him thru 2019

Because we want him to continue his stellar career at St Kilda - and enjoy the last stages of his career at St Kilda

Not throw the towel in

Where is another Jack Steven for us - and don’t give me a player plying his trade in the Geelong Seconds, because that does not cut the mustard for Steven

You do not improve getting rid of your best players and surely we have learned that - and particularly when they have the skill set we lack - apart from Steven

That is his importance

If he had have been available thru 2019 it is quite reasonable to speculate that we would now be on the cusp of playing finals - in 2019

We need to acknowledge that, as with any player, they need to embrace the Club and the Club to embrace them

The responsibility rests with the Club - and the Club is the catalyst not the player

We require Jack Steven to remain with St Kilda as a one team player whose name adorns the walls of the Club house

The ability, many years later, to walk into a Club House and see your name and photo on the walk has no parallel in sport

You are forever feted (including that your reputation actually grows!)

That is what we sell to Jack Steven - and our young group

End of rant

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 10 Aug 2019 11:14pm

It’s a very slippery slope.

A BOG performance or 2 in the last few rounds makes him the possible missing ingredient to another Cats flag and ramps up his value. A subpar performance suggests he could be past his best though he clearly isn’t

Shouldn’t let him go for anything less than a first IMO

Prefer not to let him go at all, but if it comes to it, we need compensation befitting a four-time best and fairest. Accept no less

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

There is a chance the deal is already done, all parties are ok with it in principal and it will be announced as soon as it legally can i.e. contracts formally signed and ratified by AFL. Public secrecy is because AFL House leaks, Saints 2020 coaching position still uncertain and Geelong want as few distractions from the finals focus as possible. Jack gets one or a few farewell games. If Langlands and Gresh were not injured Jack may still be a Zebra before transmuting to a cat.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 7:57am There is a chance the deal is already done, all parties are ok with it in principal and it will be announced as soon as it legally can i.e. contracts formally signed and ratified by AFL. Public secrecy is because AFL House leaks, Saints 2020 coaching position still uncertain and Geelong want as few distractions from the finals focus as possible. Jack gets one or a few farewell games. If Langlands and Gresh were not injured Jack may still be a Zebra before transmuting to a cat.
Haha... ‘transmuting to a cat’... good stuff.

To the top
SS Life Member

I rest my case