Thomas sacking saved Milne from trade to rivals

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Thomas sacking saved Milne from trade to rivals

Shock coach sacking saved Milne from trade to rival

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 3e3c06b327

It’s behind the paywall and I can’t copy even the first few paragraphs, but basically, Milne says Thomas was down on him for not performing interstate.

He says Lyon saved his career and he regards Lyon as a father figure. However, he now has a good relationship with GT and says the perfect coach would have shared the attributes of both.

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Thomas sacking saved Milne from trade to rivals

Milney is my favourite Saint of the modern era but he is the type of guy who needed a good kick in the backside from time to time lest complacency set in. Threatening a trade could have been just a way of doing that.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Teams can be blessed if 18 yos behave as if they are 28. Alas, we seem to have more than our fair share of 28 yos who behave as it they are 18.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Have to agree with milne opinion.
Watching old GT coached games we had such talented sides and played great footy .
But even in games where we were well ahead , we were often very easy to score against.
A bit of Lyons lock down ability surely would have seen GT win us a flag .

In red white and black from 73
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Old news.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Fake news

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

north , east , west ‘n south

just words

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Milne says Grant Thomas’ sensational sacking in 2006 saved him from a shock trade to Essendon or Port Adelaide.

The brilliant St Kilda goal-sneak had been told he would be traded and even met with Kevin Sheedy during the 2006 trade period after only seven seasons at the Saints.

Thomas was sacked due to a power struggle with president Rod Butterss, with new coach Ross Lyon extending Milne a lifeline when he signed on.

Thomas and Milne are now firm friends but the Saints senior coach had believed Milne did not play well enough in interstate contests.

LISTEN TO THIS WEEK’S SACKED PODCAST WITH STEPHEN MILNE AND STEVEN BAKER FROM 6PM FRIDAY NIGHT

SUBSCRIBE TO SACKED HERE

Milne would play another seven seasons and 156 games for St Kilda including five years with 46 or more goals and finished his career with 574 goals from 275 games.

He revealed in the Herald Sun’s Sacked podcast he was forced into retirement at the end of 2013 but says he could have been gone so much earlier.

“I hadn’t been told face-to-face, but I kind of read the writing on the wall that I would probably get put up for trade,” he said.

Grant Thomas was ready to move on Stephen Milne.
“Obviously during that year I was kind of on and off the ground as a forward pocket and kind of not performing in certain games and I knew something was coming. Obviously I had a little bit of interest from a couple of other clubs which I was pretty happy with, so I kind of met with them, but it took us a while for Ross Lyon to get appointed.

“I knew I would get somewhere but I didn’t want to go anywhere. I wanted to be a one-club player and I lived around the corner but for your dream of playing AFL footy you would go anywhere.

“Kevin Sheedy was senior coach of Essendon at the time and played a year under him in the reserves with Adam Ramanauskas, and I met Sheeds at the Hilton and he went through all my stats and averages and he was very, very keen. I said I am keen also. Through my manager Tom Petroro (I knew) Mark Williams was pretty keen at Port Adelaide and I said if the worst came to the worst I would love to move over there.

Ross Lyon made sure Stephen Milne stayed a Saint. Picture: Getty Images
“Now I treat Rossy as a second father and I remember walking upstairs to the office. He said, ‘I believe you can play good footy for this club and I will give you a three-year contract. Just chase and tackle and we will go from there.’

“The next thing I had another 150 games under Ross.

“I look back and have a bit of a laugh about it. I still speak to Thommo and there are no grudges there. We have a chat and a beer now and again, he is all good.”

MORE AFL

Buckley took years to win over Pie players

18 clubs in one state: AFL’s radical restart plan revealed

Secret reason Richo knew he couldn’t win Brownlow

Milne has strong relationships with both Lyon and Thomas and believes combining the skill sets of both would have made for the perfect coach.

“Going back to Thommo, it was the camaraderie that we had. After every game we would go back for a BBQ and a catch up. We really played for each other and had a really had a close bond.

“Rossy is very methodical in his approach and structured, I think a mixture of the two would have been bloody brilliant. One was one edge of the scale and the other was at the other. They are both different and I am great mates with them both.”

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.