The bus trip...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The bus trip...

Can we please stop using a 2 hour bus ride in the morning as an excuse for that pathetic 3 quarter performance?

These are 20-something elite athletes, not middle aged blokes with desk jobs or retirees.

I think some of you are forgetting what the body was like in your younger days!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: The bus trip...

Precisely. I’m sure SecretKiel will somehow make plenty of it though. Clearly wasn’t an issue for the first 30 mins

Go you red, black & white warriors
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Thread started by someone who has no idea about preparation and game day. Three hour bus trip after a massive change in environment is huge.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Good god.

The umpires
The bus
Bad luck
The draw

Oh why does the universe hate us so

It’s almost as though nobody else ever has adversity

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 6:36pm Thread started by someone who has no idea about preparation and game day. Three hour bus trip after a massive change in environment is huge.
Your 20s was obviously too long ago for you to remember.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 6:40pm Good god.

The umpires
The bus
Bad luck
The draw

Send Collingwood to Noosa and let them travel 3 hours game day if it’s no issue.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 6:41pm
CURLY wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 6:36pm Thread started by someone who has no idea about preparation and game day. Three hour bus trip after a massive change in environment is huge.
Your 20s was obviously too long ago for you to remember.
Played at Irymple for a season they would fly us in for games. No way were we to drive as it’s horrendous preparation

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 6:42pm

The umpires
The bus
Bad luck
The draw

Send Collingwood to Noosa and let them travel 3 hours game day if it’s no issue.
Honestly Curls, I’m the type of person that takes responsibility for the things I have control/influence over.

We didn’t win because we didn’t deserve to based on that effort

Looking for excuses is the mating call of the loser

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 6:44pm
CURLY wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 6:42pm

The umpires
The bus
Bad luck
The draw

Honestly Curls, I’m the type of person that takes responsibility for the things I have control/influence over.

We didn’t win because we didn’t deserve to based on that effort

Looking for excuses is the mating call of the loser
Said as soon as I saw the Noosa set up we’re f***ed. Horrendous idea and ridiculous to put it up at AFL level.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

We have a lot of young inexperienced players. The more trips they have (and that includes 3 hour long bus trips) the more they will be able to adapt and make sure their preparation allows them to perform at their best... that’s looking at it positively :shock:

Practically, that might mean change your sleep patterns, change your days workload leading up to the game, and perhaps the high performance staff also take some learning from this experience

Maybe in week 3 or 4 we’ll be seasoned 3 hour bus trip campaigners

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Gosh how do interstate teams travel every second week

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We were insipid after a blistering start. What happened after that I don’t know but long bus trips can’t help and it must have given the opposition some sort of advantage. At one stage, it looked like a training drill for Freo and we looked like witches hats.

We should never have let them back into it like that in the second quarter. Freo improved their intensity as they were always going to do and we didn't match it or couldn't for some reason. A real lack of leadership like a Lenny or Harvey in the old days to lead and take the game on was missing.

I’ve always thought that being 5-6 goals up early in a game can be a dangerous place to be if complacency sets in and if you drop off. It's still early in the game and the lead isn’t big enough for a winning score. If the opposition gets a run on it can be very hard to turn it around as heads drop, you start to panic and make mistakes. That's why it’s important when you have a good lead that you maintain the intensity and go in for the kill by kicking a few more goals to crush the opposition's spirit. They would have been told all of this, especially after round 1, but as always is the case with these things, it’s harder said than done of course.
Last edited by SaintPav on Sat 11 Jul 2020 8:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Got to say in watching the first quarter...it wasnt blistering.

We were better than the subsequent quarters but it is a pretty underwhelming 7 goal quarter....Got lucky with a few goals .
Never looked as dominant as the scoreline flattered.

Nee!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I reckon the bus trip back will feel twice as long

Nee!
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Not looking for excuses rather explainations as to how 20 players synchronously dropped off the planet at the same instant. Fatigue... the quarter time address... There is a reason for the number of players dropping at the same time.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
ace
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 11:11pm Not looking for excuses rather explainations as to how 20 players synchronously dropped off the planet at the same instant. Fatigue... the quarter time address... There is a reason for the number of players dropping at the same time.
Just as with North the opponents sized control of the game, our teams effort was insipid when they did.
Simply were not desperate enough to win for 2.75 quarters.
The end of the final quarter they switched on but too late .

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Munga
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 11:22pm
Munga wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 11:11pm Not looking for excuses rather explainations as to how 20 players synchronously dropped off the planet at the same instant. Fatigue... the quarter time address... There is a reason for the number of players dropping at the same time.
Just as with North the opponents sized control of the game, our teams effort was insipid when they did.
I agree that Freo stepped up. That doesn't explain 20 players going missing at the same time. What changed our players was either physical or mental. Being it happened at the same time so early might rule out being physical although it wasn't the best prepped match. So if there was a mental letdown at qtr time.... that's on the coach

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 11:22pm
Exactly. How long was the trip to Marvel round 1?

And we should probably work out the transit time to Adelaide next week, if it’s anything over 2 hours we might as well just call the whole thing off!

Secret Kiel
Club Player

The bus trip was the final leg of a very long and distracting week. It's why it's called the Asterisk Cup. The team that is unlucky enough to win it will probably be very embarrassed. But of coasre the players will feel a great sense of pride for having done it for the fabric of society.

And just like the rest of society, the boys just want this year to be over. But you won't hear that on Fox.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 10:57am The bus trip was the final leg of a very long and distracting week. It's why it's called the Asterisk Cup. The team that is unlucky enough to win it will probably be very embarrassed. But of coasre the players will feel a great sense of pride for having done it for the fabric of society.

And just like the rest of society, the boys just want this year to be over. But you won't hear that on Fox.
Not everyone is as mentally fragile as yourself and has ‘thier’ whole day ruined by a bus ride. :lol:

Secret Kiel
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 11:04am
Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 10:57am The bus trip was the final leg of a very long and distracting week. It's why it's called the Asterisk Cup. The team that is unlucky enough to win it will probably be very embarrassed. But of coasre the players will feel a great sense of pride for having done it for the fabric of society.

Not everyone is as mentally fragile as yourself and has ‘thier’ whole day ruined by a bus ride. :lol:
Ironically you were the one that had the meltdown over a bunch of kids playing a dead rubber game. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 11:18am

Ironically you were the one that had the meltdown over a bunch of kids playing a dead rubber game. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Not sure what dead-rubber kids game you watched yesterday, but I (and I’d say every other St Kilda supporter) was frustrated after watching the St Kilda FC playing for premiership points blow a 6 goal lead for the second time this season.

What did you think about the change in game plan after quarter time?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 11:24am

Not sure what dead-rubber kids game you watched yesterday, but I (and I’d say every other St Kilda supporter) was frustrated after watching the St Kilda FC playing for premiership points blow a 6 goal lead for the second time this season.

I think as was the case in round 1, yesterday's game was compromised by the effects of a pandemic and even a 9 year old would not throw their toys out of the cot and blame the coach or his game plan.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 12:32pm

I think as was the case in round 1, yesterday's game was compromised by the effects of a pandemic and even a 9 year old would not throw their toys out of the cot and blame the coach or his game plan.
What did you think of the performance from both coaches and the response to the change in game style after quarter time? Did you watch the game?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 12:46pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 12:32pm

What did you think of the performance from both coaches and the response to the change in game style after quarter time? Did you watch the game?
As you know I didn't watch the game but I noted Ratts said the heat was a factor and I concluded from that comment he meant the heat was a bridge too far after a terribly arduous week of relocating a club to Noosa and a 3 hour bus trip to the game meant that it didn't matter what changes the coach made, the players were mentally and physically shot after quarter time. So on the back of players already being significantly less fitter and conditioned due to a pandemic there was just bugger all that could be done in the coaches box. Do you think the coach should be sacked now that he's wrecked your life.