Is umpire Umpire Foote a cheat or just blind

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is umpire Umpire Foote a cheat or just blind

The_Dud wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 9:21pm
kosifantutti wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 8:46pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 7:50pm
Enrico_Misso wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 7:44pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 7:03pm Butler took an absolute flop to try draw a 50, that shouldn’t be paid, tried and failed, move on and kick the goal (which he did)
If you push someone who is standing stationary in front of you totally flat footed with feet in the same lateral plane as their body - they have almost no resistance to a front on push.

Give it a go.
Wait till your wife is standing still facing you flat footed - give her a modest shove - and see what happens.
Try it tonight!
Watch his legs when he gets pushed.

We’re not soccer, he tried to get a 50 but it didn’t work, fair enough to give it a go, I’d be filthy if the roles were reversed and that was paid, move on and kick the goal.
You would not be filthy. You would bend over backwards to defend an umpire who made a decision against us.

And can we get a detailed analysis of Butler’s legs? I’m not sure what the significance is.
If that’s how you want your football played then that’s up to you.

Responding to Enrico’s post, he got pushed and buckled straight at the knees. If you get pushed hard with your feet as he said then you stumble backwards and then fall.

He tried to score a 50 and it didn’t work, fair play, move on. That’s something I’d expect to see on the soccer pitch, I don’t like it on the football field.

Simple question please Dud. If a mark is awarded can you come in and push a player if you are not in the contest?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SaintDippa
Club Player

No you can't. 50.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 6:59pm Worse was the character assassination of Butler by the commentators. It was a genuine push for no apparent reason, yet all they could say was “not a good look from Butler” “he’d like to have his time over”.
He competed against us many a time from around the time that the Saints and the Cats were heralded with the most promising young players going back about 15 years. The commentator who said those remarks hated us and deep down he just can’t let go after his goal was disallowed in that qualifying final in 2010.

Cameron Ling made the remarks and the ‘pink pig’ has to be the worst special comments guy in the media. He is such a waste of space and gets paid for doing sfa. He’ll either bag teams he doesn’t like or just state the bleeding obvious.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 7:03pm Butler took an absolute flop to try draw a 50, that shouldn’t be paid, tried and failed, move on and kick the goal (which he did)
If you push someone who is standing stationary in front of you totally flat footed with feet in the same lateral plane as their body - they have almost no resistance to a front on push.

Give it a go.
Wait till your wife is standing still facing you flat footed - give her a modest shove - and see what happens.
Try it tonight!

We’re not soccer, he tried to get a 50 but it didn’t work, fair enough to give it a go, I’d be filthy if the roles were reversed and that was paid, move on and kick the goal.
You would not be filthy. You would bend over backwards to defend an umpire who made a decision against us.

And can we get a detailed analysis of Butler’s legs? I’m not sure what the significance is.

Responding to Enrico’s post, he got pushed and buckled straight at the knees. If you get pushed hard with your feet as he said then you stumble backwards and then fall.

He tried to score a 50 and it didn’t work, fair play, move on. That’s something I’d expect to see on the soccer pitch, I don’t like it on the football field.
Maybe he should have done this.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
johnearljames
Club Player

Butler blatantly got pushed well after he took the mark. There was some force behind it. Butler added to it but its still a 50 any day of the week. The contact was blatant and well after the contest.

Pushing someone away with two hands with force is the easiest way to knock someone on their arse too. Just in case you ever find yourself in a pub fight.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 9:32pm

Give it a go.
Try it tonight!

Simple question please Dud. If a mark is awarded can you come in and push a player if you are not in the contest?
To the letter of the law, probably no, but as I said earlier, if you paid every 50 to the letter of the law (touching people after a mark, holding on to them after a mark, not getting back on the mark straight away, not returning the ball straight away) then you’d be paying fifty 50m penalties a game, and that’s not the kind of game I want to watch. Less umpire involvement is better, not more.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 10:00pm

Give it a go.
Try it tonight!

To the letter of the law, probably no, but as I said earlier, if you paid every 50 to the letter of the law (touching people after a mark, holding on to them after a mark, not getting back on the mark straight away, not returning the ball straight away) then you’d be paying fifty 50m penalties a game, and that’s not the kind of game I want to watch. Less umpire involvement is better, not more.
Do you admit umpire Foote cheated. This wasn’t a case of a player running flat out at a contest or a small brush of two moving players. It was a frustrated player clearly making unwarranted late contact.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 10:04pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 10:00pm

Give it a go.
Try it tonight!

Do you admit umpire Foote cheated. This wasn’t a case of a player running flat out at a contest or a small brush of two moving players. It was a frustrated player clearly making unwarranted late contact.
The umpire saw it for what it was, a flop.

Same as if the cops fined everyone to the letter of the law, no one wants to live in that world. There has to be a bit of leeway to say “come on guys, pull your head in and get on with it”

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Umpire Foote is not the reason we lost & as much as I think he's a tool we just needed to be more switched on from the start . Snoozers are losers & that's how it panned out

ace
Saintsational Legend

Give it a go.
Try it tonight!
Made no difference, I didn't get any.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 10:00pmTo the letter of the law, probably no, but as I said earlier, if you paid every 50 to the letter of the law (touching people after a mark, holding on to them after a mark, not getting back on the mark straight away, not returning the ball straight away) then you’d be paying fifty 50m penalties a game, and that’s not the kind of game I want to watch. Less umpire involvement is better, not more.
Let's remember why we have a 50m penalty.
It's mostly to prevent time wasting.

Running over the mark so the umpire has to call you back is time wasting. Must be 50m.
Pushing someone over after a mark or free is time wasting. Must be 50m.
Knocking the ball out of someone's hands after a mark/free is time wasting. Must be 50m.
Putting the ball on the ground after a free instead of returning it to the player is time wasting. Must be 50m.

Neale delivered a two handed push to Butler well after the mark. Butler went to ground. It's a 50m penalty every day of the week (and we can say that in these compressed fixture days). If it had of been the other way around, I'd be filthy at our player for being so stupid and undisciplined.

Brownlow medal favourites almost always have a special set of rules associated with them. Judd, Ablett, Goodes, etc...Seems Neale is no different.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Wikipedia says Umpire Foot's first game was 2012 Suns v Saints round 2. Saints won by 95 points G. Ablett Suns got 3 votes with a few disposals more than BJ (noting other umpires involved in voting). Perhaps the Club or someone officially connected insulted him (BJ?) and it caused an emotional scar and vindictiveness. He is yet to umpire a senior final as far as I can read from his CV. So combination of a mediocre umpire who seems to have a conscious or unconscious bias - dangerous combination. However to be fair the standard of umpiring is poor and holding the ball rule changes by the tackle, team, minute, player, game, season so it is one of the few discretionary weapons umpires have and it would be silly of them not to abuse it.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 9:16pm The more blatant error was the free-kick that was missed in the third against the Brisbane player directly in front when he got tackled and dropped the ball.

The other bad miss was when Kent was pushed in the back at the throw in.
Kent was blocking and that was either sheparding or in the back, my call is in the back.
Definitely missed one there IMO.
Romas was soft and wasn't that umpire #2?

I really cannot understand the focus on umpiring and the belief we get shafted every week.
It was 11/11 against the Lions and there were soft ones given to both and plenty missed for both.

If some could look objectively there would be perspective.

There is the odd game where we have a howler from the umps like the WC game this year and those where we were the beneficiary of the umpires shocker such as the PA game.

Umpiring didn't cost us the game yesterday, the horrendous set shot kicking by the Lions kept us in the hunt when I thought we'd be blown away.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SaintDippa
Club Player

It's the 1 percenters that separates the best. Yesterday Hipwood took a mark - think it was third Q - uncontested 30 out. Rewind IQ to see how this can happen. As the ball was falling Rainer turned into Coffield and a two handed push into Coffs chest moving to the drop zone who then impeded think Howard. Three umps missed it. Happened all game. Top sides are masters at blocking. Cats the best.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 6:55pm Butler marks Neale comes in and pushes him over. Foote one meter away does nothing.

How does this happen and it basically set the tone.
And those f***wit commentators can only critise Buttler with claims he was staging. Arseholes. :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

f*** me, you would defend a maggot if he was seen counting his gambling winnings in plain sight. :roll: :roll: :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 7:06pm
You cannot touch a player after a mark has been awarded if you weren’t in the contest. Clear 50 just blatant cheating.
Yeah, but then our chuck knows all the rules doesn't he. Says so often enough. :wink:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 12:30pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 9:16pm The more blatant error was the free-kick that was missed in the third against the Brisbane player directly in front when he got tackled and dropped the ball.

Kent was blocking and that was either sheparding or in the back, my call is in the back.

I really cannot understand the focus on umpiring and the belief we get shafted every week.
It was 11/11 against the Lions and there were soft ones given to both and plenty missed for both.

There is the odd game where we have a howler from the umps like the WC game this year and those where we were the beneficiary of the umpires shocker such as the PA game.

Umpiring didn't cost us the game yesterday, the horrendous set shot kicking by the Lions kept us in the hunt when I thought we'd be blown away.
No focus just harmless venting.

What about the tackle and dropped ball in the third?

These were blatant umpiring mistakes.

But, I never actually said the umpires cost us the game?

I don't accept that Brisbane kept us in it with their poor kicking so the result was a foregone conclusion. The game goes for four quarters. We dominated the last quarter and the game was there for the taking. It was a lost opportunity.

In his press conference, Fagan said the game should have been over at three quarter time. Privately, I think he would have been very relieved they got away with that. I wasn't that impressed with Brisbane and they won't trouble Geelong, West Coast and Richmond if they play like that in the finals.
Last edited by SaintPav on Mon 24 Aug 2020 1:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ace
Saintsational Legend

To gain an independent answer to the question I consulted the frogs at the local pond.
They unanimously replied "corrupt, corrupt, corrupt".
So there you have it.
100 out of 100 frogs can't be wrong.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 1:00pm
CURLY wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 6:55pm Butler marks Neale comes in and pushes him over. Foote one meter away does nothing.

How does this happen and it basically set the tone.
And those f***wit commentators can only critise Buttler with claims he was staging. Arseholes. :roll:
Yep that's what stunned me. I guarantee if Carlisle did it and Neale got 50 they'ed be call it a brain fade and ridiculous.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

If you watch that vision and honestly think Butler didn't go down easy, then I worry for you and of your opinion of Butler.

If you want dozens of 50m penalties paid a game and think that would be an improvement, then I worry for you also.

I want less umpire involvement, not more. Discretion should and does come in to it. Each to their own I guess.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 1:43pm If you watch that vision and honestly think Butler didn't go down easy, then I worry for you and of your opinion of Butler.

If you want dozens of 50m penalties paid a game and think that would be an improvement, then I worry for you also.

I want less umpire involvement, not more. Discretion should and does come in to it. Each to their own I guess.
He did go down easy but it's 50. The fact the Foote who was right there gave nothing shows he is a cheat.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 1:43pm If you watch that vision and honestly think Butler didn't go down easy, then I worry for you and of your opinion of Butler.

Perhaps ask yourself honestly:

If a St Kilda player had pushed a Lion in the same circumstances and a 50 metre penalty was paid - and Curly came on here and said it was an obvious flop by the Lions player and the umpire was conned.

I think that you would be on here saying it was a 50 metre penalty every day of the week and that the St Kilda player was stupid for pushing the Lion in the first place and so the penalty was 100% correct.

Reality is that if you push a player in that circumstance (after the whistle) then it is a 50 metre penalty. Cut and dry.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Re the soft Roma free kick immediately after half time:

At half time the umpires are coached as well.

Perhaps it was brought to umpire Foote’s attention that he had not yet paid a free kick to St Kilda, that several had been missed and that he overlooked a definite 50 metre penalty.

Perhaps umpire Foote has this in mind when judging that contest where the free could have gone either way or he could have called play on. Instead he was super keen to pay the first free he could to a St Kilda player. It was a token effort to try to prove that he had no bias. To me it just said that the umpiring department have started to question whether he is perhaps biased and now he had to do something obvious to disprove it.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 2:04pm

Re the soft Roma free kick immediately after half time:

At half time the umpires are coached as well.

Perhaps it was brought to umpire Foote’s attention that he had not yet paid a free kick to St Kilda, that several had been missed and that he overlooked a definite 50 metre penalty.

Perhaps umpire Foote has this in mind when judging that contest where the free could have gone either way or he could have called play on. Instead he was super keen to pay the first free he could to a St Kilda player. It was a token effort to try to prove that he had no bias. To me it just said that the umpiring department have started to question whether he is perhaps biased and now he had to do something obvious to disprove it.
Foote over ruled the controlling umpire twice to award Brisbane free kicks in the first half. Both frees ended up in Brisbane goals. Both free kicks were replayed and both were incorrect.