OMG - What Malthouse just said on Fox Footy about Robert Muir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: OMG - What Malthouse just said on Fox Footy about Robert Muir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SaintPav wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 3:16pm Everyone is coming down hard on Mick Malthouse for expressing his view of what he thought occurred at the time. I didn't hear the whole interview, but perhaps he could have been more sensitive by prefacing that his perception at the time was or whatever....but I'm not sure he deserves to be publicly shamed like he has either. I don’t like that.

While Robert Muir’s life sounds like a tragedy which has included child abuse, mental illness, violence and racism. I also think some people are a bit annoyed with the victim mentality when he has also been the perpetrator.

His life sounds like a tragedy brought about by terrible circumstances including racism which is one important element of this tragedy, but I think the article failed to capture this. This is why I cant stand the ABC. Everyone should know how the media works by now and the wider media is using Rob just as much as Rob is using the media. Anyway, food for thought.
Great post but Micky Milkshake appears to contradict the ABC article which states that our very own Cowboy Neale christened Robbie with the mad dog nick name.

No one is saying that Robbie was a saint but the s*** that went down while he was playing wouldn't be tolerated today.
Last edited by saynta on Sun 30 Aug 2020 3:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: OMG - What Malthouse just said on Fox Footy about Robert Muir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SunnyErnest wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 3:23pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 3:16pm Everyone is coming down hard on Mick Malthouse for expressing his view of what he thought occurred at the time. I didn't hear the whole interview, but perhaps he could have been more sensitive by prefacing that his perception at the time was or whatever....but I'm not sure he deserves to be publicly shamed like he has either. I don’t like that.

While Robert Muir’s life sounds like a tragedy which has included child abuse, mental illness, violence and racism. I also think some people are a bit annoyed with the victim mentality when he has also been the perpetrator.

His life sounds like a tragedy brought about by terrible circumstances including racism which is one important element of this tragedy, but I think the article failed to capture this. This is why I cant stand the ABC. Everyone should know how the media works by now and the wider media is using Rob just as much as Rob is using the media. Anyway, food for thought.
That's the problem with Malthouse. He is insensitive, arrogant, narcissistic, sookey lala and above all RACIST.
You don’t know that.

I’ll will say this though. If what Harry L is saying is true, that does not reflect well on MM and that s*** should have been stamped out quick smart.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The reaction from the ABC journo and other journos on what Mick Shithouse said

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 3509358bad

Sports writer Richard Hinds posted: “That’s abhorrent victim blaming by Malthouse. Clearly hasn’t read the story or chose to completely disregard Muir’s version.”

And this

Sports photographer Wayne Ludbey tweeted: “The Post Truth Whitewash has arrived.”

And this

Fox Sports reporter Tom Morris bluntly posted: “Mick has lost it.”

Former St Kilda defender Mick Malthouse has suggested Robert Muir’s ‘Mad Dog’ nickname “served him well”.

Last week, ABC News sports journalist Russell Jackson penned an eye-opening feature which outlined the racial vilification Muir endured throughout his VFL career.

Jackson responded to the premiership coach’s “disgusting” remarks on social media.

“It becomes easier to understand how far Robbie fell when you consider the sorts of people who called themselves his friends,” Jackson tweeted.

“A few things — he refused to be interviewed; he evidently hasn’t read the article; speaking on Rob’s behalf and diminishing his abuse as “a little bit” of racism is disgusting; victim-blaming; blatant factual errors; ‘I think he was quite happy with that name.’ Where do you start?

“Something else I suggest to football fans after spending a long time researching Robert Muir’s life, listening to him, and immersing myself in the issues at play — listen closely to Héritier Lumumba. Try to understand his experience — not what others say about him. Listen.”

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Heraldsun.com.au

Article in full.

Mick Malthouse slammed for ‘abhorrent’ response to Robert Muir bombshell

Following last week’s eye-opening revelation about Robert Muir, former teammate Mick Malthouse offered a “disgusting” response.

Malthouse's stunning claims

AFL: Mick Malthouse claims Robert Muir's 'Mad Dog' nickname "served him well", declaring the former Saint was happy to be referred to in a manner he has since admoni...

Former St Kilda defender Mick Malthouse has suggested Robert Muir’s ‘Mad Dog’ nickname “served him well”.

Last week, ABC News sports journalist Russell Jackson penned an eye-opening feature which outlined the racial vilification Muir endured throughout his VFL career.

The Indigenous footballer was regularly subjected to racial abuse by players and spectators, which resulted in several on-field outbursts — he was reported 13 times and suspended for 22 matches during his career.

Last week, the St Kilda Football Club issued an apology in response to the bombshell story, which was widely praised by the Australian sporting community.

Kayo is your ticket to the 2020 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Watch every match of every round Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

The disturbing revelations include Muir’s private anguish at being given the nickname “Mad Dog” by his own teammates.

“I’m sick of people being frightened to ask for an autograph or talk to me,” Muir said.

“I want my grandkids to be proud of me. I want them to say, ‘That’s my grandfather, he played for St Kilda.’ I don’t want people to say, ‘There goes Mad Dog’.”

But speaking on ABC radio’s WA Sports Talk, Malthouse remarkably claimed Muir tried to “live up to the nickname” and suggested the racist slur “served him well”.

“Don’t forget this is the 1970s and I still think that Robbie lived up to that name,” Malthouse said on Saturday.

“I think he was quite happy with that name. I question that he questioned it. It served him well to get recognised. He never said to me ever that he was upset by the nickname because we never discussed it.

“He may well have been, but it wasn’t something to discuss. That was a public name, and I think in the end he tried to live up to that name.”

Malthouse also claimed Collingwood legend Lou Richards was the first to call Muir “Mad Dog”, which contradicts his teammate’s recollections — the 66-year-old asserted St Kilda great Kevin Neale gave him the nickname in the ABC feature.

“When he was nicknamed ‘Mad Dog Muir’, that was basically Lou Richards,” Malthouse said.

“Lou wouldn’t have had any intent to hurt. It was just Mad Dog Muir. I never knew him as that. It was always ‘Robbie’.

“But he picked up that nickname. I think Robbie tried to live by that name. And that’s a shame. It really wrecked his ability to say ‘I was a good footballer’. He was a very good footballer.”

Jackson responded to the premiership coach’s “disgusting” remarks on social media.

“It becomes easier to understand how far Robbie fell when you consider the sorts of people who called themselves his friends,” Jackson tweeted.

“A few things — he refused to be interviewed; he evidently hasn’t read the article; speaking on Rob’s behalf and diminishing his abuse as “a little bit” of racism is disgusting; victim-blaming; blatant factual errors; ‘I think he was quite happy with that name.’ Where do you start?

“Something else I suggest to football fans after spending a long time researching Robert Muir’s life, listening to him, and immersing myself in the issues at play — listen closely to Héritier Lumumba. Try to understand his experience — not what others say about him. Listen.”

Sports writer Richard Hinds posted: “That’s abhorrent victim blaming by Malthouse. Clearly hasn’t read the story or chose to completely disregard Muir’s version.”

Sports photographer Wayne Ludbey tweeted: “The Post Truth Whitewash has arrived.”

Fox Sports reporter Tom Morris bluntly posted: “Mick has lost it.”

On Sunday, a GoFundMe page was created for Muir’s much-needed shoulder surgery, and has already raised over $112,000."

Secret Kiel
Club Player

mcadam05 wrote: Sat 29 Aug 2020 8:50pm

There was nothing wrorg with what was said

You have an interesting take on racism, one that I haven't quite worked out where you stand on the issue.

However can I suggest this.

Robbie has now made it clear that at this point in his life, he does not like the nickname, not only for his own reasons, but also for reasons that impact his family including his children and grandchildren.

What Malthouse is doing is not respecting this very point. Of all people, especially those that had a relationship with Robbie like Malthouse, it should be good enough to understand Robbie's current position, and just say if that's what Robbie wants then I will respect his wishes.

It's just that simple but some people don't get how very simple it is.
Last edited by Secret Kiel on Mon 31 Aug 2020 6:37pm, edited 2 times in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 31 Aug 2020 1:51pm
mcadam05 wrote: Sat 29 Aug 2020 8:50pm

There was nothing wrorg with what was said Mick

You have an interesting take on rasism, one that I haven't quite worked out where you stand on the issue.

However can I suggest this.

Robbie has now made it clear that at this point in his life, he does not like the nickname, not only for his own reasons, but also for reasons that impact his family including his children and grandchildren.

What Malthouse is doing is not respecting this very point. Of all people, especially those that had a relationship with Robbie like Malthouse, it should be good enough to understand Robbie's current position, and just say if that's what Robbie wants then I will respect his wishes.

It's just that simple but some people don't get how very simple it is.
Great post man. Fully agree with you.